1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2015-10-11, 19:49   Link #121
Skye629

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
I hope not.
I don't mind if one shows up

As long as the reason for the mask is more grounded than in previous shows. Like in AGE where it further helps interfacing with the unit. For example the mask could act as a way for an adult operative to circumvent the part about kids (with the right amount of implants) being the only ones able to pilot the gundam type units effectively

YAY THEY ACTUALLY SAID GUNDAM IN THIS EPISODE!!!!
Skye629 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-11, 19:52   Link #122
Irenesharda

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdeath View Post
Actually, this is just Mika opnion. We don't know how other members of the group would have responded to what Kurdelia said. Mika is certainly far from a social guy so I suppose hes not really the best one to talk to. I find it hard to believe Busicut or even Orga would react the same way. I'm not even sure if Mika was insulted or just stating a fact to correct Kurdelia. He says things so matter of fact that it can sound like hes angry when hes not.
I think Biscuit and Orga would have had more couth and tact, but I think they would have had a similar opinion.

I do agree that Mika is indeed stating truth as he sees it. It's just fact to him. That's kind of what I like about him the most, like when he had that equal line last episode. However, I think when she went on about it, and he said "now stop it", he was starting to get mad, at least from the look we saw in his eye.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Irenesharda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-11, 19:53   Link #123
bigdeath

Masks that help with interfacing with a unit is still really silly unless all the characters are going to be using that mask. I'd much prefer a masked character to have a legitimate story reason to wear a mask. Such has gundam wings' Zechs hiding his true identity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenesharda View Post
I think Biscuit and Orga would have had more couth and tact, but I think they would have had a similar opinion.

I do agree that Mika is indeed stating truth as he sees it. It's just fact to him. That's kind of what I like about him the most, like when he had that equal line last episode. However, I think when she went on about it, and he said "now stop it", he was starting to get mad, at least from the look we saw in his eye.
Yes, Mika could learn some tact. lol

Well, I will agree that Mika is probably the best take gundam has ever had on a stoic protagonist. And this is with only two episodes being out. lol Both Heero and Setuna were cringe worthy in how they acted in various ways. At least we can already see Mika isn't emotionally stunned. For example, I don't think Mika blindly follows Orga so much as that they both know each other so well that Mika feels that he can fully trust Orga. Hes not just blindly following orders but is inspired to follow Orga's lead. And from what we've seen so far of Orga, its a well placed trust.

Though, I do fear that Orga is going to pull a Kamina in a few episodes. Too cool to live. lol I hope I'm wrong.
bigdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-11, 19:55   Link #124
Galaxian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skye629 View Post
I don't mind if one shows up

As long as the reason for the mask is more grounded than in previous shows. Like in AGE where it further helps interfacing with the unit. For example the mask could act as a way for an adult operative to circumvent the part about kids (with the right amount of implants) being the only ones able to pilot the gundam type units effectively
As long as is not as bad as Bushido or Mask...
Galaxian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-11, 19:57   Link #125
Skye629

Quote:
Masks that help with interfacing with a unit is still really silly unless all the characters are going to be using that mask. I'd much prefer a masked character to have a legitimate story reason to wear a mask. Such has gundam wings' Zechs hiding his true identity.
Hiding the identity thing has been done to death though

And as I pointed out in my example, Im not just talking about overall interfacing, but rather a tech piece that overcome limitations (allowing adults to be able to pilot gundam type units effectively, in which case not everyone is going to use since there's going to be a limited amount of Gundam units fielded throughout the show)
Old 2015-10-11, 20:04   Link #126
Yan3242

Mask seems silly considering the setting, although i can see that flamboyant blonde guy wearing one though.

Full mask/helmet like lelouch from code geass maybe?
Yan3242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-11, 20:06   Link #127
bigdeath

Quote:
Hiding the identity thing has been done to death though

And as I pointed out in my example, Im not just talking about overall interfacing, but rather a tech piece that overcome limitations (allowing adults to be able to pilot gundam type units effectively, in which case not everyone is going to use since there's going to be a limited amount of Gundam units fielded throughout the show)
If theres no one in the story hiding their identity, I'd rather there be no masked character. Gundam doesn't need a char clone in every version of the show. Seriously, gundam conquista's mask was ridiculous. I don't believe for one second that mask is used to better operate the mech. lol

At least mask made up for his derpy mask by fighting like a badass.
Old 2015-10-11, 20:07   Link #128
Skye629

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yan3242 View Post
Mask seems silly considering the setting, although i can see that flamboyant blonde guy wearing one though.

Full mask/helmet like lelouch from code geass maybe?
Only if its attached to the MS cockpit and only goes on when the suits in use....
Old 2015-10-11, 20:08   Link #129
monster

Quote:
For example the mask could act as a way for an adult operative to circumvent the part about kids (with the right amount of implants) being the only ones able to pilot the gundam type units effectively
Which is probably ok until you realize throughout the whole show that only one person ever used it.

Hmm, on second thought, if there are more than one person using a mask for this reason, then I'd be fine with it.
Quote:
YAY THEY ACTUALLY SAID GUNDAM IN THIS EPISODE!!!!
They also have a misspelling of GANDAM. You'd think Sunrise would be familiar with their own trademark/brand.
Quote:
Masks that help with interfacing with a unit is still really silly unless all the characters are going to be using that mask.
Ah, I see that you've said it already.
Quote:
As long as all the Gundam pilots use it.

Wow, this thread moves too quickly for me.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-11, 20:11   Link #130
Galaxian

As an interface, they could simply label it as experimental to explain while only on character is using it.

To hide identity, Orga seemingly sacrifices himself in the season finale, just to come back with a mask in season 2.
Old 2015-10-11, 20:12   Link #131
bigdeath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxian View Post
As an interface, they could simply label it as experimental to explain while only on character is using it.

To hide identity, Orga seemingly sacrifices himself in the season finale, just to come back with a mask in season 2.
No, don't pull a seed destiny. Just no. lol

*poor mu la flagga - what the heck did they do to you? lol
Old 2015-10-11, 20:14   Link #132
Galaxian

Quote:
No, don't pull a seed destiny. Just no. lol
I'm not saying Orga will have amnesia. I'm expecting him to be brainwashed. It's a completely different kind of BS.
Old 2015-10-11, 20:31   Link #133
Irenesharda

I'm pretty much expecting a Char Clone. Most Gundam series have them, it's a tradition at this point. I do hope they have a good reason for one to dawn the mask. I think it will probably be McGillis. He already looks like a potential one. But he might not get one until the mid-season point and then show up with one.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Irenesharda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-11, 20:36   Link #134
QSTraderDG86

Original Aina was a badass. Hey, she helped kill the series's big bad, and that's pretty badass. I mean heck, she was a prettier proto-Cagalli!

As for Kudelia, it isn't about Relena, who was actually pretty decent, all said and done. It's that she doesn't seem to have any badass qualities at all about her yet, and doesn't seem to be developing them quickly, which isn't good for a 25 episode series. Yes, she *might* become badass, but she might also just become another irrelevant Marina Ismail (aka Poverty Princess).

As for the topic of the masked rival...the masked rival is part of what makes Gundam...Gundam. If your Gundam series doesn't have a badass masked rival, you're doing something very wrong. Char was awesome. Zechs was awesome. Rau was awesome. Neo...not as awesome, but still pretty cool. Mr. Bushido was pretty meh, and so was Gundam 00 in general. Basically, it seems how good a Gundam series is can be measured in proportion to how awesome its masked rival is.
QSTraderDG86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-11, 20:41   Link #135
Yan3242

Wonder what is the common language in this show by lore, when that guy who help mika setup his implant and booting the gundam, he also cant spell the gundam name (baro? What?), is it because its in alphabet or he also cant read properly
Yan3242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-11, 20:44   Link #136
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
I don't really see how Aina is being held up so much. Her really only shining moments in the series was finally killing her brother with Shiro's help and getting naked for him after a battle where they nearly killed one another. For all you guys' nostalgia glasses, keep in mind the woman lost to a freakin' Ball. Beyond that she was her brother's guinea pig and powerless to do anything to stop him until she finally betrayed him for a guy she barely even knew and had only two meaningful encounters with.

Dare I say it? Lacus was a more effective character than her, and you guys know what regard I have for Lacus. Y'all are being unfair to Kudelia.
Speaking of, I always remember Aina (Mk-I) as the noble and kind-hearted Zeon Juliet and a tragic character, but not much else .

That said, about Aina losing to a Ball, I think that’s more the case of her losing to Shiro’s mad skill. And let’s face it, Shiro win because he managed to sneak up behind her/Zaku’s back until the very last second. I mean, isn’t she the one that wiped out Sander’s GM squad off-screen? (correct me if I’m wrong). So, I don’t think her skill as a pilot is that bad. It’s just that Shiro’s piloting skill is on another level.

Btw, I always think Miller is hotter and more badass than Aina

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuelGundam2099 View Post
Shoot 'Em Up is the only movie that has anywhere close to non-stop action, Bayformers have plenty of talking from preventing them from being that.
I’d also like to add The Raid, but that’s beside the point. My point is, Gundam has never about wall-to-wall action only, so it’s wrong to expect that.

Quote:
Then again, I enjoyed wing and I could get into the difference between Wing vs 00 and why I dislike 00 but love Wing but that would be a big digress better saved for some other topic. (not sure what that would be on this gundam thread)
You can go to either 00 or Wing General thread where you can give your comparison there .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenesharda View Post
I think it's just that we're glad to see her kind of character get a reality check so early on. Princess-types can be awfully annoying, especially those peace-loving "never wrong" ones that MCs fall in love with.

Kudelia is not exactly that way, but she's in that same vein.
Haha, yeah. That is why Sayla/Artesia is still my favorite princess .

Quote:
Originally Posted by QSTraderDG86 View Post
Marina Ismail was utter garbage.
I think you (and many others) have missed the point of Marina’s character in the grand scheme of Gundam 00 story. Marina is a representation of leaders of poor countries that ravaged by conflicts that lasted for generations. She can only beg other first-world countries from the UN to help her country improve and share that Solar Energy pie. Her country is technically sovereign but that doesn’t mean much. Her being utterly powerless is the point of her story (especially after her country is destroyed by the Innovators using Ali and his Gundam). After Azadistan is destroyed, she pretty much lost her purpose as a leader and revert to babysitting refugee children and writing a song and tend to Setsuna. It’s then up to Celestial Being and the rebel forces to eliminate Innovators and all their backups to free Azadistan (and many other countries) from the rule of the A-Laws and Innovators. Again, her being utterly powerless is the point of her character aside from sharing a connection with Setsuna/Soran since they came from the neighboring countries that suffered the same conflicts (be it with each other or civil war among own countrymen). Basically, Setsuna represent Marina’s people too in a way.
Old 2015-10-11, 20:49   Link #137
bigdeath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
It’s then up to Celestial Being and the rebel forces to eliminate Innovators and all their backups to free Azadistan (and many other countries) from the rule of the A-Laws and Innovators. Again, her being utterly powerless is the point of her character aside from sharing a connection with Setsuna/Soran since they came from the neighboring countries that suffered the same conflicts (be it with each other or civil war among own countrymen). Basically, Setsuna represent Marina’s people too in a way.
The main problem with marina is that you could write her out of the story and not lose much of anything. It felt to too many people that her story went nowhere and that any screen time with her featured was a waste of time. Seriously, when you rewatch 00 just fast forward through any scene with her involved. You won't miss much of anything which is quite telling.

Love or hate her, Relina has more of a connection to wing's story then Marina ever did to 00. I hope Kurdelia ends up more relevant to the story than Marina but then that won't be a hard task to accomplish.

As for 08 ms teams Aina, her focus in the story was more about setting up a star-crossed lovers storyline. Her piloting skills were kind of irreverent to the story, she doesn't need to be a badass pilot to be an interesting female character.
Old 2015-10-11, 21:04   Link #138
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
The main problem with marina is that you could write her out of the story and not lose much of anything. It felt to too many people that her story went nowhere and that any screen time with her featured was a waste of time. Seriously, when you rewatch 00 just fast forward through any scene with her involved. You won't miss much of anything which is quite telling.

Love or hate her, Relina has more of a connection to wing's story then Marina ever did to 00. I hope Kurdelia ends up more relevant to the story than Marina but then that won't be a hard task to accomplish.
I guess it's the case of different strokes for different folks then.

I personally appreciate the writer for providing us Marina’s POV. It’s not often you get a POV from a helpless and powerless leader of a destroyed third-world country in a Gundam conflict. Most of the previous Gundam series always focusing the POV from factions that has the power over the war that is going on (EF, Zeon, Titans, PLANT/ZAFT, EA, the three Solar factions in 00, Vagan, etc) and the “unimportant” countries which are still affected by the war got glossed over at best (with the exception being Gundam 0080 which I like to death).

Quote:
As for 08 ms teams Aina, her focus in the story was more about setting up a star-crossed lovers storyline. Her piloting skills were kind of irreverent to the story, she doesn't need to be a badass pilot to be an interesting female character.
I know that. That's why my impression of her has always been the "Zeon Juliet" .
Old 2015-10-11, 21:29   Link #139
QSTraderDG86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
I think you (and many others) have missed the point of Marina’s character in the grand scheme of Gundam 00 story. Marina is a representation of leaders of poor countries that ravaged by conflicts that lasted for generations. She can only beg other first-world countries from the UN to help her country improve and share that Solar Energy pie. Her country is technically sovereign but that doesn’t mean much. Her being utterly powerless is the point of her story (especially after her country is destroyed by the Innovators using Ali and his Gundam). After Azadistan is destroyed, she pretty much lost her purpose as a leader and revert to babysitting refugee children and writing a song and tend to Setsuna. It’s then up to Celestial Being and the rebel forces to eliminate Innovators and all their backups to free Azadistan (and many other countries) from the rule of the A-Laws and Innovators. Again, her being utterly powerless is the point of her character aside from sharing a connection with Setsuna/Soran since they came from the neighboring countries that suffered the same conflicts (be it with each other or civil war among own countrymen). Basically, Setsuna represent Marina’s people too in a way.
All fucking fine and dandy if that was her role...but don't stick her in the gundam princess slot then!

Having a wimpy princess is like having a wimpy masked man. Something's very wrong if that's the case!
QSTraderDG86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-11, 21:31   Link #140
Twi

When did this become the Gundam 00 character discussion. It's one thing to compare her to the current heroine, it's another to take a pot shot that can start a flame war.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yan3242 View Post
Wonder what is the common language in this show by lore, when that guy who help mika setup his implant and booting the gundam, he also cant spell the gundam name (baro? What?), is it because its in alphabet or he also cant read properly
Barbatos isn't a common word to begin with unless you're familiar with the occult lore, and that Gundam is about three hundred years old. Chances are that word is completely Archaic and he had to sound it out.