AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2008-06-22, 20:22   Link #1
Wandering_Youth
lost in wonder forever...

Comcast HS Internet and splitters?

I've been searching the net for awhile now trying to find an answer for my question but no luck so far so I'm going to ask around here for some input.

I've been a long time user of Comcast HS Internet and they're service is good and fast up until now. I'm living in a newly built home where all the cable lines and cat5 lines are all centralized in a media center box in the master bedroom. I hooked up my cable modem and router into the center so every room is TV and internet ready. Now here's my problem.

There's only one outside cable line that runs into the media center and it's connected to a 4-way splitter which connects all the other rooms. The Comcast tech that came to my house to setup my service told me to never connect my cable modem to a splitter but to connect directly with the outside cable line because the signal will be weakened greatly. He left before I could ask my questions. My problem now is that none of my rooms have cable line connection because the outside line is now connected to my cable modem. When I tried connecting the outside line back into the splitter and then connecting my cable to the splitter the signal was horrible. My internet was lagging and the cable modem lost connection ever so often.

I called Comcast to ask about my little problem and they told me to buy a certified cable splitter and only a Comcast certified splitter because other ones would interferer with Comcast's signal. I went online to find these certified splitters but I can't find any. I asked the Comcast Customer Reps to tell me were to get these splitters so I went to the stores they told me and I bought a couple of different splitters but all of them don't even work.Anyone got any advice, tips or knows where to find buy these certified splitters.
Old 2008-06-22, 21:24   Link #2
Zero Shinohara
I'll keep walking.
*Artist

Send a message via MSN to Zero Shinohara
I've had the same problem with Comcast before, and trust me, don't follow their advice. I've used a splitter for almost a year and it was painful, but bearable. It wasn't until I was forced to add another splitter to the setup that I totally screwed up the whole cable system. Had two different technicians come over and try different settings and configurations and nothing worked. The only way they could restore my internet connectivity and keep the 4 TVs at home was to pull a dedicated cable from the main line to my room and leave it just for the modem. I had great signal ever since.

So, just tell them to come over and get you a dedicated line like they should. Contest it if they want to charge you for that, since you're already paying for a service you're having trouble with because of their hardware's instability.

Good luck.

Sometimes I look back and think to myself, "how the hell did I manage to screw this up?"
Zero Shinohara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-23, 03:52   Link #3
Kuroda

My Suggestion their "comcast supported" splitters aren't the best out there you could go to wallmart and pick up a brand new high quality splitter for 7-8$ on the otherhand if you can afford it you can have a NEW line ran into the able modem away from the splitters and get a pure connection to you're computer.
Old 2008-06-23, 04:01   Link #4
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

the splitter you are looking for has a signal reduction to one side. make sure your modem is connected to the normal side and the line to the tvs is connected to the reduced side. cable TV doesnt need much power to get a picture.

my advice? go slap yourself for using comcast. they are an evil company and you should be punished.
Potatochobit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-23, 07:39   Link #5
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

When I had Comcast, there was also the issue of bidirectional filtering. Conventional cable TV lines have a filter that prevents upstream traffic; that filter has to be repositioned to apply only to the TV line if you add cable Internet. The Internet line obviously requires bidirectional traffic.

I don't know whether they still use these filters, but perhaps you have the filtered line going to the wrong location? At this point I don't even recall what the filter looks like; I think it's just a cylindrical object on the line.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-23, 19:54   Link #6
Zero Shinohara
I'll keep walking.
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatochobit View Post
the splitter you are looking for has a signal reduction to one side. make sure your modem is connected to the normal side and the line to the tvs is connected to the reduced side. cable TV doesnt need much power to get a picture.

my advice? go slap yourself for using comcast. they are an evil company and you should be punished.
Uhm, it's not always that we have a choice of which ISP we go with, you know? The only other broadband connection provider in my area whose price is in the residential range is AT&T and their DSL, which is far slower than my cable connection when it's not being hogged by everyone else in the neighborhood.

I'm still waiting for Verizon's FIOS to get here, but until then, Comcast it is.

Sometimes I look back and think to myself, "how the hell did I manage to screw this up?"
Old 2008-06-23, 23:21   Link #7
Wandering_Youth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero Shinohara View Post
Uhm, it's not always that we have a choice of which ISP we go with, you know? The only other broadband connection provider in my area whose price is in the residential range is AT&T and their DSL, which is far slower than my cable connection when it's not being hogged by everyone else in the neighborhood.

I'm still waiting for Verizon's FIOS to get here, but until then, Comcast it is.
True. At my area it's either Comcast, AT&T or Verizon. I have tried AT&T's DSL and it is slow compared to Comcast HS Internet. I have yet to try Verizon because this is the first time I heard that they provide internet so I am not sure if their service is fast and reliable. I'm a gamer so I need a good fast and stable connection to enjoy my online games.
Old 2008-06-24, 01:07   Link #8
Sci-Fi

You need a signal booster/amplifier like the ones listed here (up to 8 ports):
http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-48409.../dp/B000066E6Y

That's assuming the cable company checked the signal strength in the main cable line to your house and it's within specs and the cable service center/office boosted the signal from their end.

I actually have 2 lines coming in, one for internet and one for cable tv, but it all depends on the installer or what you request in your order....the price is the same per month, so it's not like it's going to cost you more if you have another line.
Sci-Fi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-24, 18:17   Link #9
Wandering_Youth

Do you know if that is 100% compatible with Comcast's signals? I mean I already tried 2 boosters in the past and they didn't work.
Old 2008-06-24, 20:46   Link #10
Sci-Fi

Was the units you tried "Bi-directional"? Most cable companies will sell you their own signal amp for ~$32.00-100.00 and you'll know that's compatible and it'll work. They even have noise filters available to keep the signal clean. A splitter should be preferably hooked up as close as possible to the amp, if not directly plugged into the amp's output using a Coax F-Type male-to-male connector. An amp/splitter all-in-one unit is a better or neater solution.

A bit weird that you are having signal problems with 4 devices. The incoming signal should be strong enough to be split 4-ways...which is the common limit for most cable systems.
Sci-Fi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-26, 16:09   Link #11
Phlaw
Romance Anime Demi-God

Send a message via AIM to Phlaw
lol i split the cable into my room only once, TV and Modem, and i have extreme ping issues on a regular occurance, being a gamer this is highly annoying, and i have had 4 service techs come to my house to look at the problem, and find nothing. the latest "adventurer" told me that splitting my cable to my tv was building up a bad cache, and that if i wanted to watch cable tv, i would need to bring ANOTHER line into my room.

i laughed to myself a bit. disconnected my splitter and have the same exact issues. the resolution here. Verizon FIOS was installed in my area last month. im switching over in a week. Screw comcast and Time Warner
Phlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-26, 21:01   Link #12
Zero Shinohara
I'll keep walking.
*Artist

Quote:
i laughed to myself a bit. disconnected my splitter and have the same exact issues. the resolution here. Verizon FIOS was installed in my area last month. im switching over in a week. Screw comcast and Time Warner
I envy you, my friend. Living in the penis of America sucks sometimes.

Old 2008-06-27, 16:48   Link #13
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero Shinohara View Post
I envy you, my friend. Living in the penis of America sucks sometimes.
I second that envy. I'm living in a town in New York where they seem to want to make it as difficult and unappealing to bring in new technologies as possible. Many towns around me have Fios already. It's like reliving the days of being on dial-up when everyone else was getting DSL and cable.