AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Fate/ Series

Notices

Old 2019-07-13, 18:53   Link #61
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

They didn't explain who placed the body parts there, I'm just going to assume the daughter did it. Or it's just magic, ain't gotta explain shit.

Now that we've seen her without the hood, Gray's resemblance to Artoria is a lot more obvious. I knew she was supposed to look like her but I didn't really see it until now. Explains Waver's attitude with her in the OVA.
Old 2019-07-13, 19:51   Link #62
Frontier

"I'm no Hero of Justice." Ha. Sorry Shirou .

So Gray is not only the "Watson" but also there to slay whatever dangerous magical beings Waver stumbles upon in his investigations. This didn't really seem like the kind of mystery show where they figure out the culprit and just simply arrest them .

We're obviously not meant to sympathize with the "victim" since he was also basically his own murderer and was apparently abusive to both Mary and the maid. I took their holding hands at the end to symbolize that now they're both free from having to live under him. Really can't blame Mary for letting her father do himself in .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Now that we've seen her without the hood, Gray's resemblance to Artoria is a lot more obvious. I knew she was supposed to look like her but I didn't really see it until now. Explains Waver's attitude with her in the OVA.
It also explains why she's so self-conscious about wearing the hood all the time. She doesn't want to remind Waver of Saber or him to see the resemblance. It seemed to really bother him at the end there.
Old 2019-07-13, 20:42   Link #63
Random14

I wonder how many more episodes will be standalone like this. I don't mind, I like getting answers quickly and this wasn't that complicated a mystery. No surprise that a mage would try something crazy like that, nor that his daughter wouldn't be completely innocent either. I was half expecting the maid to be an illegitimate daughter or something too.

And I'm not sure if that giant ghost thing or Gray with the scythe in a trance is creepier. I'm not sure if its the artwork changing a bit but the resemblance is a lot more obvious now (especially the serious face, almost Saber Alter like), even with the hood up. She's even got the ahoge.

With the references to Animusphere, too bad we didn't see them. And interesting to see different takes on magecraft, along with adapting it to modern ideas. Even something from the 17th century is too new for them. Waver won't even grow that strong but he makes a pretty good teacher. If the daughter knew about the whole thing, not sure why she called in Waver, unless to keep up the facade and/or to find the father's soul and make sure the ritual failed.
Random14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-13, 21:09   Link #64
Wandering Soul

Okay, now I can see the resemblance to Saber.
Old 2019-07-13, 21:44   Link #65
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering Soul View Post
Okay, now I can see the resemblance to Saber.
It wouldn't be Fate without a character that resembles Saber .
Old 2019-07-13, 21:55   Link #66
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random14 View Post
I wonder how many more episodes will be standalone like this. I don't mind, I like getting answers quickly and this wasn't that complicated a mystery. No surprise that a mage would try something crazy like that, nor that his daughter wouldn't be completely innocent either. I was half expecting the maid to be an illegitimate daughter or something too.

And I'm not sure if that giant ghost thing or Gray with the scythe in a trance is creepier. I'm not sure if its the artwork changing a bit but the resemblance is a lot more obvious now (especially the serious face, almost Saber Alter like), even with the hood up. She's even got the ahoge.

With the references to Animusphere, too bad we didn't see them. And interesting to see different takes on magecraft, along with adapting it to modern ideas. Even something from the 17th century is too new for them. Waver won't even grow that strong but he makes a pretty good teacher. If the daughter knew about the whole thing, not sure why she called in Waver, unless to keep up the facade and/or to find the father's soul and make sure the ritual failed.
Maybe it was to clean up the mess. If the main family knew that she knew about the ritual, then the main family would have her share the blame for her father's death as it sounds like the death was preventable. It's like the bartender letting an drunk customer drive himself home who dies in a car accident. You get in trouble for doing that here.
Old 2019-07-13, 22:32   Link #67
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Quote:
So Gray is not only the "Watson" but also there to slay whatever dangerous magical beings Waver stumbles upon in his investigations. This didn't really seem like the kind of mystery show where they figure out the culprit and just simply arrest them .
Well, Watson also played the role of the brawn at times in the Sherlock Holmes series, what with being a field medic and having sufficient military training.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-13, 23:15   Link #68
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Well, Watson also played the role of the brawn at times in the Sherlock Holmes series, what with being a field medic and having sufficient military training.
Now eschewing a gun for a cool scythe .
Old 2019-07-14, 00:06   Link #69
GDB

As a Detective Conan fan, I loved this episode. It kept basically all of the tropes you see in that kind of mystery series.

Also, I love that the OP has no lyrics. So noir.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-14, 02:44   Link #70
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I could've done without the cheesy Engrish but to be honest that wouldn't have saved an episode that relied way too much on Magi babble. Didn't really care much for the "howdunnit". The dysfunctional family undercurrent was done well though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
It also explains why she's so self-conscious about wearing the hood all the time. She doesn't want to remind Waver of Saber or him to see the resemblance. It seemed to really bother him at the end there.
Hope there's a good reason why she couldn't just change her hair style...
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-14, 03:42   Link #71
AC-Phoenix
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post

She wouldn't remind you of saber if she did ... that's the reason.

Sidenote: I'm seemingly too dumb for my current keyboard, so if you see the same character twice in a row, when it doesn't belong there just ignore it.
AC-Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-14, 09:50   Link #72
frodonk
Master of Killing Time

Semi-understandable and long winding dialogue about magic or something.. check
Using engrish words that when strung together doesn't make any sense.. check
saberface.. check

Yep, this is indeed a proper fate series.
frodonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-14, 10:04   Link #73
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

I thought the maid would be the criminal honestly. Still, I didn't understand that final frame of the two grabbing hands.
Mad Pierrot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-14, 10:35   Link #74
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

As far as I'm concerned, Gray doesn't need a cowl, just a change of hairstyle.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-14, 11:35   Link #75
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Pierrot View Post
I thought the maid would be the criminal honestly. Still, I didn't understand that final frame of the two grabbing hands.
Waver suggested to Gray that the maid was likely abused by the father but the daughter wasn't in a position to stop it.

The most we can say definitively is that the handholding is an indication of solidarity, and that Waver's intuition was spot on. Anything more than that is in the realm of interpretation.

In any case, I guess this is closest thing we'll ever get to a Tsukihime adaptation. XP
Old 2019-07-14, 11:52   Link #76
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Pierrot View Post
I thought it was going to either be the daughter or the maid if only because the other two suspects were a little too obvious (granted, every suspect was kind of very suspicious in their own right, so it's probably why they had it turn out that he basically killed himself).
Old 2019-07-14, 12:05   Link #77
Estavali
物語は、もう、おしまい……?

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
Maybe it was to clean up the mess. If the main family knew that she knew about the ritual, then the main family would have her share the blame for her father's death as it sounds like the death was preventable. It's like the bartender letting an drunk customer drive himself home who dies in a car accident. You get in trouble for doing that here.
It could go further than just harsh words. Being the Fargos' main/source family AND the head of the Astromancy department, the Animuspheres are in a very good position to take over the Fargos' research along with its assets. This fiasco would be a perfect excuse and Mary won't be able to stop them unless she seek help from another family/faction, which would in turn come with its own hefty price. For her, it'll be a no-win situation (though the silver lining would be that she'd probably still have her freedom).

Of course, I don't know if Marisbury would go to that extent, but that's the kind of dog-eat-dog society they live in.

Signature by liro
Estavali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-14, 12:05   Link #78
orion

Quote:
<snip>

Why should she change her hairstyle? Waver should just get over his survivor guilt. It's been 8 years since the incident, right?
Old 2019-07-14, 12:24   Link #79
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
Why should she change her hairstyle? Waver should just get over his survivor guilt. It's been 8 years since the incident, right?
I mean yeah he should, but if Gray is already making an effort to wear a hood all the time, you'd think it would just make more sense to change the hairstyle..
Old 2019-07-14, 12:29   Link #80
orion

Quote:
I mean yeah he should, but if Gray is already making an effort to wear a hood all the time, you'd think it would just make more sense to change the hairstyle..
Altria is Altria no matter the hairstyle. Gray is one of the many Saberfaces in Fate universe. Besides, she didn't use her NP in this episode like she does in the game. Once the NP come out, you'll understand. It's going to be a long 2 years before NA sees her in FGO.