AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-06-09, 14:26   Link #1
lilac

Angry anime in england

Taking off subbed anime if there is a english dubbed version sounds perfectly fine, if you live in USA or CANADA.
What about if that anime is not in england? There are hardly any anime in England! Ok there is a way, BUY IT ON THE INTERNET. Well that's the only way, would a kid have a credit card? NO, so they have to beg their parents. AND SOME PARENTS THINKS IT IS NOT SAFE TO SHOP ON THE INTERNET!

And that's me. Tell me wat to do!
Old 2004-06-09, 14:36   Link #2
senti_MENTAL

hm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac
Taking off subbed anime if there is a english dubbed version sounds perfectly fine, if you live in USA or CANADA.
What about if that anime is not in england? There are hardly any anime in England! Ok there is a way, BUY IT ON THE INTERNET. Well that's the only way, would a kid have a credit card? NO, so they have to beg their parents. AND SOME PARENTS THINKS IT IS NOT SAFE TO SHOP ON THE INTERNET!

I'm not entirely sure if this belongs in Fansubs, but I live in England, and there are shops that sell anime DVDs, ie. Forbidden Planet.
Old 2004-06-09, 14:46   Link #3
Carpe Jugulum
Kessen Satsu

Send a message via AIM to Carpe Jugulum Send a message via MSN to Carpe Jugulum
well i also livein england and i have to say forbidden planet suxs depending on what city your in anyway i live near liverpool (unfortunatly )
i went to londons forbidden planet and that wasnt much better it had quite a bit of manga, worlds apart has soem stuff as well ( if you have one near you) but the amount of anime in london forbidden planet was still poor.

im with you lilac, i know some poeple in canada and america so they COULD send me stuff but its a big hassel for them
Old 2004-06-09, 14:48   Link #4
senti_MENTAL

Uh

I wasn't implying that Forbidden Planet was the only place to buy anime. There are alot of smaller shops that deal in anime. You just need to look around more.
Old 2004-06-09, 14:51   Link #5
Carpe Jugulum
Kessen Satsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by senti_MENTAL
I wasn't implying that Forbidden Planet was the only place to buy anime. There are alot of smaller shops that deal in anime. You just need to look around more.

to be fair i know quite a few lil places but most just sell a variety of manga, where is it you guys come from in england? you cities may be considerably better than liverpool
Old 2004-06-09, 15:15   Link #6
sapphire

This is a big frustration for me too.

All of the series that I follow that get licensed are licensed in the US only. They don't get a release here. So those series are dead and gone for me then. Yes, people say, get a muti region dvd player and I ordered one last night from Amazon in fact..but why should I have had to?

Do you know that the title King of Jing in the 7th Heaven or whatever it's called is licensed in the UK? Go into any dvd shop and you will see it sitting on the shelves in the anime section. But because it is not licensed in the US, it is available on animesuki to download. Yet, because many titles I would like to see and can't because they are licensed in a country I don't freakin' live in! in a format I can't play on my machine! then I can't see them anyway, fansub or official.

Oh, but America is the biggest market so it's only fair blah blah...um..that's very convenient for the people who say this, since they aren't the ones who have to live with the frustration of not being able to see many series because they are licensed in a country they don't even live in..if King of Jing etc was pulled from animesuki because it is licensed in the UK it would be fairer. The fact is that UK downloaders can download a UK licensed series against the highly vaunted 'fansub ethics'. Isn't this hypocritical? Why shouldn't people in North America be told to suck it up and buy a multi region machine if they want to see king of jing etc?

If the rule was any English speaking country it wouldn't burn me as much as it does. What's good for the goose is good for the gander and all that.
Old 2004-06-09, 16:11   Link #7
Carpe Jugulum
Kessen Satsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire
This is a big frustration for me too.

All of the series that I follow that get licensed are licensed in the US only. They don't get a release here. So those series are dead and gone for me then. Yes, people say, get a muti region dvd player and I ordered one last night from Amazon in fact..but why should I have had to?

Do you know that the title King of Jing in the 7th Heaven or whatever it's called is licensed in the UK? Go into any dvd shop and you will see it sitting on the shelves in the anime section. But because it is not licensed in the US, it is available on animesuki to download. Yet, because many titles I would like to see and can't because they are licensed in a country I don't freakin' live in! in a format I can't play on my machine! then I can't see them anyway, fansub or official.

Oh, but America is the biggest market so it's only fair blah blah...um..that's very convenient for the people who say this, since they aren't the ones who have to live with the frustration of not being able to see many series because they are licensed in a country they don't even live in..if King of Jing etc was pulled from animesuki because it is licensed in the UK it would be fairer. The fact is that UK downloaders can download a UK licensed series against the highly vaunted 'fansub ethics'. Isn't this hypocritical? Why shouldn't people in North America be told to suck it up and buy a multi region machine if they want to see king of jing etc?

If the rule was any English speaking country it wouldn't burn me as much as it does. What's good for the goose is good for the gander and all that.
i am completely with you i was just talking about it with my friend before and i think the british licensers are to blame.

i mean if you look on the shelves in most stores like virgin the amoutn of bollocks they have makes me cry out of my top 10 anime none are on the shelves in the uk and its not cos they are new or anything i mean bebop im sure everyone will agree is an amazing series its even been on our cable tv however they still licence full metal panic before bebop.

no wonder anime isnt as popular in england as america if the onyl stuff that gets licenced is 2nd rate.

but i agree there should be a specifically england fan sub site to get stuff on cos face it they would be able to upload pretty much every series out there
Old 2004-06-09, 16:36   Link #8
LordBrian
Triad's Friendly Editor

So are you complaining about how groups stop fansubbing when things are licensed in the US, or are you complaining about the lack of licensing in England? Either way, what are you proposing (assuming you're proposing something, and not just mindlessly ranting)?
Old 2004-06-09, 17:04   Link #9
jennwenn

But you English can rest assured that you at least get some stuff Americans may never get their hands on. The very first anime licesned in the UK, like the Sensualist or the Gigolo (okay so those are technically um hentai...) have never and will never see the light of day in Region 1 DVD.

There are non-hentai examples, like Glassy Ocean, Shinzo (Mashuranbo?) and Crayon Shin-chan. Why won't FOX KIDS USA play Crayon Shin-chan?! WHY! Its awesome and the dub is tolerable, funny even!

My few examples won't make up for the fact Region 1 anime DVDs far outnumber European Region 2 however. I don't know what say. I used to be a UK-based anime fan. The UK wasn't the most difficult place I lived in as an anime fan, but it was tough. Hey, hardship builds devotion!

I recommend your local Sci-fi stores and comics shops.
Old 2004-06-09, 17:52   Link #10
Pepperidge
Dissatisfied Canadian

Send a message via AIM to Pepperidge Send a message via MSN to Pepperidge
I would argue that the situation is better in the UK than it is in Canada. I realize that it varies from place to place, but what I've been told gives me the impression that it is possible to find retailers in the UK who will reliably stock new anime releases for decent prices, especially now since ADV UK and MVM have really gotten their act together, whereas almost no anime companies have proper distribution networks in Canada.

Also, shows are a lot more likely to air on television in the UK than in Canada, though apparently that situation is worsening now that CNX has been taken off the air and Sci-Fi seems to be dumping its anime programming into 3:30am timeslots. But at least you DID get those shows.

But hey, at least we don't live in Denmark.
Old 2004-06-09, 18:41   Link #11
Carpe Jugulum
Kessen Satsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepperidge
I would argue that the situation is better in the UK than it is in Canada. I realize that it varies from place to place, but what I've been told gives me the impression that it is possible to find retailers in the UK who will reliably stock new anime releases for decent prices, especially now since ADV UK and MVM have really gotten their act together, whereas almost no anime companies have proper distribution networks in Canada.

Also, shows are a lot more likely to air on television in the UK than in Canada, though apparently that situation is worsening now that CNX has been taken off the air and Sci-Fi seems to be dumping its anime programming into 3:30am timeslots. But at least you DID get those shows.

But hey, at least we don't live in Denmark.

Yea I was gutted when they took CNX off I mean we are left with Toonami now (which took its place) and that’s alot more kiddy.

(jennwenn) ok you kinda have a small point that we have some shows un US licensed shows but those ones you said are definitely not mainstream in the UK and those movies you said well they are hardly masterpieces  and also those shows aren’t exactly the best ever either, I was saying that the quality of anime they bring out in the UK is poor.... Sorry if you really like any of those shows but its my opinion and I carnt speak for everywhere in the UK but my local sci-fi stores tend to focus more on graphic novels rather than anime.

(lord brian) I would have thought it was quite clear we don’t like the fact that we don’t have many decent shows licensed in the UK and that we are unable to get these unlicensed UK shows because they are licensed in the US. Sorry if we confused you
Old 2004-06-09, 19:36   Link #12
Kyuven
Bishoujo Goodness Galore!

...uh, last i heard Animesuki was run by Americans, and most of the fansub groups are american, sooooooo....
Old 2004-06-09, 21:37   Link #13
LordBrian
Triad's Friendly Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpe Jugulum
(lord brian) I would have thought it was quite clear we don’t like the fact that we don’t have many decent shows licensed in the UK and that we are unable to get these unlicensed UK shows because they are licensed in the US. Sorry if we confused you
So it was mindless ranting afterall. That's all you had to say.
Old 2004-06-09, 23:25   Link #14
Just a subtitler ^_^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpe Jugulum
Well, you have to remember that the UK is different from the US in that it has mandatory government rating of home video sales.

When a US anime company releases a title, we don't send it to the MPAA and get an official rating. Sure, it's got a "recommended for ages" label, because nobody wants their six-year-old watching Cutey Honey, but that's the opinion of the US company, not some kind of judgment reached by a ratings board.

You can't do that in the UK - everything MUST be rated by the official ratings board. And they sure as heck don't work for free! Not only that, but you have to jump through several hoops in order to get them to look at it at all - and every version has to be rated separately, so that's English -and- Japanese audio. Essentially, you have to get a disc ready and then wait several months to ask pretty please, may we release it? At which point, of course, the government occasionally says "yes, but only if you put a big fat Adults Only sticker on this children's show, because one of the characters throws a headbutt (or uses a nunchaku, don't get me started on that one) and that could cause Grievous Bodily Harm to children!" At which point you've got to either cut it or watch it go down in sales flames, wasting all your time and money either way. (Not to mention that the UK's ratings board takes a dim view of the admittedly-rather-relaxed standard of nudity common among anime titles...)

So there are plenty of titles that are no doubt -licensed- for sale in the UK, but that won't be actually released in the UK, because the UK has an idiotic mandatory ratings system. Bringing a show out in the UK costs extra and the market's not all that big to start with, so... sometimes it's just not worth it.

I heartily encourage every UK resident who likes anime to write their MP and inform them of your opinion on the BBFC ratings commission! I love watching British shows almost as much as I like anime, and in this country I'm free to watch whatever I please without the government becoming overly bothered; surely the UK doesn't need to vet what you're watching (and, well, it's not like anime leads to a violent and depraved society... I mean, look at Japan! ^_^)
Old 2004-06-09, 23:45   Link #15
TronDD
Team the box!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac

If you don't have a credit card or are afraid to use it, that is your problem. It's not a problem with licencers, fansubbers or any other part of the anime community.

It's like arguing you can't watch anime because you don't have any money to buy it or an internet connection to download it. Well, duh. Too bad. You expect someone to bring it to you on a silver platter?

People really need to give up on the false idea that the world owes them anything.
Old 2004-06-10, 00:06   Link #16
Kyuven
Bishoujo Goodness Galore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TronDD
If you don't have a credit card or are afraid to use it, that is your problem. It's not a problem with licencers, fansubbers or any other part of the anime community.

It's like arguing you can't watch anime because you don't have any money to buy it or an internet connection to download it. Well, duh. Too bad. You expect someone to bring it to you on a silver platter?

People really need to give up on the false idea that the world owes them anything.
i wholeheartedly agree
there is NO such thing as free anime, somewhere down the line you're giving someone money:
1) money to your ISP and electric companies
2) money to your cable company
3) money for the discs
etc.
Old 2004-06-10, 00:55   Link #17
Pepperidge
Dissatisfied Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvatarADV
Well, you have to remember that the UK is different from the US in that it has mandatory government rating of home video sales.

When a US anime company releases a title, we don't send it to the MPAA and get an official rating. Sure, it's got a "recommended for ages" label, because nobody wants their six-year-old watching Cutey Honey, but that's the opinion of the US company, not some kind of judgment reached by a ratings board.

You can't do that in the UK - everything MUST be rated by the official ratings board. And they sure as heck don't work for free! Not only that, but you have to jump through several hoops in order to get them to look at it at all - and every version has to be rated separately, so that's English -and- Japanese audio. Essentially, you have to get a disc ready and then wait several months to ask pretty please, may we release it? At which point, of course, the government occasionally says "yes, but only if you put a big fat Adults Only sticker on this children's show, because one of the characters throws a headbutt (or uses a nunchaku, don't get me started on that one) and that could cause Grievous Bodily Harm to children!" At which point you've got to either cut it or watch it go down in sales flames, wasting all your time and money either way. (Not to mention that the UK's ratings board takes a dim view of the admittedly-rather-relaxed standard of nudity common among anime titles...)

So there are plenty of titles that are no doubt -licensed- for sale in the UK, but that won't be actually released in the UK, because the UK has an idiotic mandatory ratings system. Bringing a show out in the UK costs extra and the market's not all that big to start with, so... sometimes it's just not worth it.

I heartily encourage every UK resident who likes anime to write their MP and inform them of your opinion on the BBFC ratings commission! I love watching British shows almost as much as I like anime, and in this country I'm free to watch whatever I please without the government becoming overly bothered; surely the UK doesn't need to vet what you're watching (and, well, it's not like anime leads to a violent and depraved society... I mean, look at Japan! ^_^)
So what's the problem with Canada, then?
Old 2004-06-10, 02:33   Link #18
Just a subtitler ^_^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepperidge
So what's the problem with Canada, then?
Well, aside from the cold? ;p (Sorry, I'm a Texan and have never seen snow on the ground...)

Seriously? It's not that distribution in Canada is impossible, it's just trickier given that it's a different set of companies handling (again) a smaller market. Plenty of stuff does get distributed in Canada, it's just not as widespread as in the US, and the chains that carry anime in the US don't have a lot of Canadian penetration.
Old 2004-06-10, 03:05   Link #19
Pepperidge
Dissatisfied Canadian

Well, why isn't there more distribution throughout Canadian chains? I mean, I'm sure that once Best Buy makes its way here into British Columbia (the first two ever in this province will be opening at the end of the year), they'll prove to be slightly more reliable than any Canadian store, but why not try to get Future Shop or HMV to regularily stock titles? I mean, they and other chains do get quite a few of your DVDs in and at very reasonable prices, but the titles they get in seem to be almost completely random at unpredictable times. I see FFU popping up everywhere, but I was never able to find a store in the entire lower mainland that so much as had the second Eva director's cut DVD in their computers.

What companies do handle ADV's distribution in Canada, anyway? Because the only company that seems to have reliable distribution in Canada is Manga Entertainment.
Old 2004-06-10, 06:50   Link #20
Carpe Jugulum
Kessen Satsu

I think some of you have taken this way too much to heart.

i wasnt getting at anime suki, im grateful for the time the american fan subs spend on giving everyone the oportunity to see anime/manga.

and (tronDD) if we carnt buy anime then the licensers are losing possible market share which is a probelm for them )

and (AvatarADV) i completely agree with you our rating system is crap, and loads of people actually did write to MP's a couple of years ago when we had conservative government, the mojority of all porn was band our MP's definatly need to be more liberal i mean the amount of dirty stuff they get up to behind the scenes you would be amazed.

since the animatrix and stuff like kill bill england seems to be getting slightly more in touch with asia and other eastern places, its just why carnt they chose to bring out decent stuff
Closed Thread