AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Monster

Notices

Old 2004-04-09, 05:56   Link #21
CompShrink
getting in comps' heads

Send a message via AIM to CompShrink
Quote:
Originally Posted by Za Paper
Totan translation wasnt bad although I did notice a couple things probably due to a lack of knowledge in medical terminology. Cerebral aneurysm was translated as arterial lump. Pyramis was mispelled. Some of the aesthetics could have been improved as well to more fit the way a surgeon would speak. I think a neurosurgeon would more likely say "the bullet grazed the middle cerebral artery" rather than "the bullet scratched the central brain artery". Of course, if you dont have a medical background it probably doesnt make that much of a difference.
Those are good points, I will try to do a better job of phrasing such things in the future episodes. We do go fast, but quality is still more important than releasing a few hours earlier. In fact, if you would like to help by editing medical terminology, we would greatly appriciate the help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordlucless
Just another little glitch in the translation, there's a grammatical error at 7:14 - "What do you saying Dr. Becker?"

I'm not trying to dump on ToTan, just give a little constructive feedback, so I hope it's taken that way.
Don't worry, it is taken that way. We will try even harder in the future to catch these types of errors.

I want to repeat that we do not just want downloads because we are the first, doing that is pointless. We do wish to do it as quickly as possible, while still producing a great quality fansub.

We all enjoy this show, and that is why we are subbing it. We are also a Czech based group, we have good knowledge of German, and there will in fact be some parts that are even in Czech later on, when
Spoiler:
We think this will help make our release worthwhile. We also have native english editors of course, we are not all Czech. We are also working with another subbing group to release a French version, and we will be making a Czech version as well, which we plan to ultimately release together as a trilingual subtitled mkv.

I'm really looking forward to this series, and I am glad to see so many others are too.
CompShrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-09, 07:15   Link #22
Melazoma

Send a message via AIM to Melazoma
I must give my compliment to the Totan Staff--Marvelous job at the first episode. Really, all the semantic and terminalogies aside, I am grateful for this release. There is one thing, for the opeing text-base prologue--the Revelation verse, did you guys just pulled the matching text out of the Bible? If so, which version? and from what language?

*Odd of me to be asking this--I'm not religious by any means. I'm just aware that there are many versions of the bible out there
Melazoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-09, 07:41   Link #23
Octiron
Channel idler

The Totan subs use the King James Version
Octiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-09, 08:09   Link #24
marin

Wow, this was the creepiest thing I've seen since NaruTaru.

I can tell this is going to get 10 times as disturbing as it goes on...

Now, are they really going to do 78 episodes of this? Where could they possibly get the funding?
marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-09, 12:13   Link #25
El Diablo

Send a message via AIM to El Diablo Send a message via MSN to El Diablo Send a message via Yahoo to El Diablo
The manga has actually sold incredibly well in Japan. Along with most other Urasawa mangas if i'm correct, which i could well not be.
El Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-09, 12:49   Link #26
musouka

Quote:
Now, are they really going to do 78 episodes of this? Where could they possibly get the funding?
This show really needs at least that many episodes to do it properly. I was having fits trying to imagine them cramming everything into 26--or worse, 13--episodes.
ずっと変りはしない
musouka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-09, 13:01   Link #27
User15353
Inactive Member

if they manage to make 78 eps that are at least as good as the first one ... i'll be happily d/l ing all of em
User15353 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-09, 13:38   Link #28
Za Paper

Somehow I doubt this will be 70+ eps. It just doesnt fit the mold of other long series. Its not a sports anime, not aimed at kids, not shounen action like Naruto, or a long shoujo series. I would be very surprised if it ran more than 26.
Za Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-09, 13:50   Link #29
Rias

Actually the director announced in the pre-showing of epsiode 1 (they had some party in Japan for that), that the series would be 70 epsiode long.
Rias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-09, 14:01   Link #30
IMSabbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Za Paper
Somehow I doubt this will be 70+ eps. It just doesnt fit the mold of other long series. Its not a sports anime, not aimed at kids, not shounen action like Naruto, or a long shoujo series.
And thats exactly why it wont suck like those other series that brake the 60 eps mark.
Because there is enough story for every single episode. No stupid naruto like 5 episode fights, or POT like 3 episode matches, no filler, no shit. Just shocking story developments, unexpected deaths, new locations, more and more mysteries forshadowing a huge final.

Thats exactly why i think that the monster manga WILL suceed.
IMSabbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-09, 14:19   Link #31
musouka

Quote:
Somehow I doubt this will be 70+ eps. It just doesnt fit the mold of other long series. Its not a sports anime, not aimed at kids, not shounen action like Naruto, or a long shoujo series. I would be very surprised if it ran more than 26.
Trust me, it's impossible for this series to be crammed into 26 eps or less. There's just so much going on and all these intricate plot threads that connect to one another. It works out excellently in the manga, so I find myself wondering how they're going to carry that out in the anime. It's not like a shounen anime, as IMSabbel said. There's no need for filler, and it's certainly not tournament or fighting based.

In fact, with 70 eps, right now I'm just trying to figure out what they're going to cut out of the manga. I can think of a few detours that might be able to be axed without harming the story that will probably bring us to the right length. And I can see all the really important parts are represented in the opening, so no worries about those being changed/cut.
ずっと変りはしない
Old 2004-04-09, 15:27   Link #32
hunterx
ore wa kanpeki da

anyone know why it takes place in germany instead of japan? not wanting to send the idea that that stuff happens in a japanese hospital?
hunterx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-09, 15:43   Link #33
musouka

Quote:
not wanting to send the idea that that stuff happens in a japanese hospital?
Nah, I really don't think race enters into it. After all, if you do think Monster is trying to say soemthing about German hospitals, I wonder what 20th Century Boys is saying about Japan in general...
ずっと変りはしない
Old 2004-04-09, 15:59   Link #34
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

yeah, 20th Century Boys, another manga series that would make a wonderful anime, let's just keep hoping

About why the story is set in Germany, well, you'll know as the story progresses. Let's just say that this story can only be set in Germany, if it's set in Japan it won't make any sense. We don't have a "East Japan" and "West Japan" do we?

I hope this series can be a 70+ episode series, and revolutionize the anime industry as a whole. And so far so good, as it really sticks to the manga page by page, there's not even the slightest change in the progress of the story. GREAT!
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-09, 18:10   Link #35
Nine Devil
Master(Vicious)'s Padawan

well Vicious-san said download this so im grabbing this one
Old 2004-04-09, 18:50   Link #36
Spooky-Electric

I think it's in Germany because Germany is known to have some of the top medical and health care in the world, and Herr Doktor Tenma is supposed to be a highly prestigious doctor. So it kinda fits.

I've seen it in anime before too, like in Prince of Tennis:

Spoiler:
Spooky-Electric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-09, 19:15   Link #37
scotty81
DSL addict

Send a message via AIM to scotty81 Send a message via MSN to scotty81
well I heard much good of monster the manga, but I couldn't be bothered reading it, I already don't have much time to read the ones I buy myself, so the ones others buy ...
I didn't watch ep 1 since the download woth BT is really slow with this one, is it trackers related or am I just the only one, I usually download an ep in 3hours ( bw = 16kbps ) but this one is on since 9 hours and I only did 60 % so far...
I hope it'll be finished when I get up tomorrow...
scotty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-09, 19:38   Link #38
rorosama

so how would you guys categorize this? drama, suspense, horror. ALso, please explain why it's so good. The characters(naruto, peacemaker kurogane) or story(evangelion, full metal alchemist)?
rorosama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-09, 19:56   Link #39
musouka

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorosama
so how would you guys categorize this? drama, suspense, horror. ALso, please explain why it's so good. The characters(naruto, peacemaker kurogane) or story(evangelion, full metal alchemist)?
I would classify it as a drama-suspense series with many horror and mystery elements.

And, there are many things that make Monster an excellent series. First of all, the writing (from what I've read of the manga, which is nearly all of it) is wonderful. It's like reading a good book that you don't want to put down, which means the story is top notch itself.

The characterization for Tenma and the cast is very good as well, but Urasawa has always excelled at that, so if you've read any other series by him (such as Yawara, 20th Century Boys, Master Keaton, and Happy) you can expect more of the same. Even the minor characters all have full personalties and backstories. It can be almost as interesting reading about, oh say, the lawyer that ends up embroiled in all of this, as Tenma himself. This gives you a feel for not only the struggle of the main characters, but a greater picture of the lives they touch and affect.
ずっと変りはしない
Old 2004-04-09, 20:06   Link #40
hunterx
ore wa kanpeki da

Quote:
Originally Posted by musouka
so if you've read any other series by him (such as Yawara, 20th Century Boys, Master Keaton, and Happy) you can expect more of the same.
that explains it. as soon as I saw the character designs in episode 1 I was thinking 20th century boys. The drawing is almost the same. the eyes and all that
hunterx is offline   Reply With Quote