AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Kanon

Notices

View Poll Results: Kanon 2006 Total Series Rating
Perfect 10 235 52.34%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 135 30.07%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 38 8.46%
7 out of 10 : Good 25 5.57%
6 out of 10 : Average 9 2.00%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 4 0.89%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.22%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 0.45%
Voters: 449. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2010-05-06, 07:08   Link #281
kitten320

Have just finished the series...if not scool and stuff, you could say I had finished it in one blow.

I give series 9. Though about 8 first but since I kept wanting to see more, I gave it higher.

Why 9? Well there are sevreal reasons... I kinda expected series to be a bit more dramatic... duno, but Clannad and Air had gotten into me a bit more... at least it got me teary from time to time. Here the most saddest part for me was Makoto's arc... seeing how she slowly was dying and forgetting was really painful... though by showing that she is alive right at the end of the same episode kinda killed the moment... you actually started to feel stupid for worrying 0_0

Then there was a lack of Shiori/Kaori relationship... I actually hoped to see more of them and how did they start to communicate again...

Then there goes the whole Yuuichi/Ayu relationship... duno, but for it felt really forced when all of a sudden they became together like couple. Kiss just came out of nowhere! Yuuichi had interected with others far more. He mught have had deeper past with Ayu but he still didn't remember half of it... so yeh, for me it felt like out of blue. Ithink it would be better if they stayed friends or if the relationship came a bit later after slightly bigger development...

Now about good parts!^^
Though I liked Clannad(Spoilers here) more, I still prefer this ending more over Clannad After Story... in Clannad After Story we had to go through hell, have actual deaths and then... bam, everyone are fine and alive! That was way TOO cliche! While here even though everyone are safe and sound it didn't happen all of a sudden. It took time before everything calmed down and no one had actually died what added to realism. Like for example Shiori's healing, cases like this do happen. (Clannad spoiler end)

Kanon also has a very good animation and all the characters are unique and well developed what makes them interesting. Even though Makoto's arc was the most depressing, Kanon still managed to make you feel sorry for each character even if on different levels.

So yeh, series do deserve a good, strong 9 mark^^
Old 2010-06-23, 15:25   Link #282
Cream

I gave it a 7/10. I felt like there were a lot of unnecessary episodes thrown in there :/
But I really didnt like the lack of shiori/Kaori relationship. I wished there was a lot more it.
Old 2010-07-01, 20:58   Link #283
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Yea, I'd say the first half dozen episodes are not very good and seemed to have wasted a bit of time, and that hurt the rest of the anime a bit.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-12, 15:19   Link #284
XGeneral2000

I don't think I've ever formally reviewed this series, so here goes.

Spoiler for Everything:
XGeneral2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-13, 18:53   Link #285
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I just finished watching Kanon 2006.

I made a long review of it over here on my blog.
Old 2010-07-15, 01:33   Link #286
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Rating wise I decided to do weirdly cause I feel like it :
Spoiler for Animation:
Spoiler for Voice Acting:
Spoiler for Music:
Script/Story: Giving separate rating below.

Editing: 10, I can't say I ever noticed anything wrong with it editing wise, so nothing off here.

Enjoyment: 10, I really enjoyed the series for the most part.
Spoiler for Emotional Involvement:
Normal total: 62.5/60
Now for the weird part rating each portion of story separately:
Spoiler for Begining:
Spoiler for Makoto:
Spoiler for Mai/Sayuri:
Spoiler for Shiori:
Spoiler for Ayu/Nayuki:
Spoiler for Ending:

Arcs Total: 31.5/35

Attack Chance: +4/5 , generated from the laughs had in the series xD.

Overall: 98/100, so I'll round a 9.8 to a 10 for Kanon 2006 as it sits as my 9th ranked series atm.

Also I can't help but compare to other key series I've seen, so on that I still feel Clannad is a much better series in personally preference, since I felt it did a better job in terms of making a choice romance wise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
Yea, I'd say the first half dozen episodes are not very good and seemed to have wasted a bit of time, and that hurt the rest of the anime a bit.
Ya, I agree with is in part why I also felt Angel Beats[7th to me] was only little bit better than it cause I felt it used most of it's time better comparatively, and it had a baseball episode, I mean what kind of key series doesn't have a random baseball episode?
Edit: Also I should mention I felt the middle of the series Mai/Sayuri/Shiori portion was better than good deal of Angel Beats, but a whole level I felt Angel Beats did better to make that clearer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post

Spoiler for Slightly off topic comment to Triple_R/Archon Wing:

Man, it's been a while since I wrote a post this long, hopefully I didn't make any silly mistake and cause some ridiculous pairing to be thought of like I did with Clannad .
MAL

Last edited by Kotohono; 2010-07-15 at 02:02. Reason: Various reasons :3
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-15, 20:37   Link #287
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

That is a lot of text! And now that I think about it, where the hell did Mai get her sword from, and where does she keep it during the day?

Also, they (Key) sure have an obsession with food and wings. Oh, and snow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XGeneral2000 View Post
I don't think I've ever formally reviewed this series, so here goes.

Spoiler for Shiori:
Yea, I was like "wow, nice counter trolling" :P Shiori has a great philosophy on how to experience life, and I'm sure out of the cast, she'll be the one that parties the best.
Quote:
Overall, I'd say that Kanon was the most melodramatic of the three Key/KyoAni productions. If there's a show that is designed to wring you like a towel of your tears, it's this one. Sometimes, it got it right, and sometimes, it felt like too much. Overall, however, an excellent show.
Kanon, to me, is also the hardest one to watch for these reasons. It's the epitome of Key's excesses, and one's mileage will vary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post

That's exactly what I thought--- santa outfits, lol.

That being said, you brought up one major edge Kanon has over the other key animes. Did they forget how to animate kisses or what?

That's also a nice big Mikuru parallel you drew; the more mature and attractive version of Makoto!

And yea, the anime's indecisiveness in having Yuuichi get close to everyone did hurt the final conclusion a lot. It almost yearns for a Kanon After, but that's just me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konakaga View Post
Ya, I agree with is in part why I also felt Angel Beats[7th to me] was only little bit better than it cause I felt it used most of it's time better comparatively, and it had a baseball episode, I mean what kind of key series doesn't have a random baseball episode?
Edit: Also I should mention I felt the middle of the series Mai/Sayuri/Shiori portion was better than good deal of Angel Beats, but a whole level I felt Angel Beats did better to make that clearer.
I felt that Kanon used its time better when it mattered the most, though. -That being said, all 4 Key anime suffer from pretty awful pacing issues at one point or another. Clannad S1 actually had the best, but that really depends if you like Fuko or not.

Quote:
Spoiler for Slightly off topic comment to Triple_R/Archon Wing:
Spoiler for Angel Beats!:

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2010-07-15, 21:32   Link #288
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
That is a lot of text! And now that I think about it, where the hell did Mai get her sword from, and where does she keep it during the day?

Also, they (Key) sure have an obsession with food and wings. Oh, and snow.

That's exactly what I thought--- santa outfits, lol.

That being said, you brought up one major edge Kanon has over the other key animes. Did they forget how to animate kisses or what?
Good question about her sword, and I'd say they're bit more obsessive on food, and food as a lethal weapon than wings . Though Key sure does like snow too. And I didn't relate their cute uniform to santa thing until now, it's obvious though I did I miss it? D:

Ya the lack of Kiss thing in other Key series is kinda of lame .

Quote:
And yea, the anime's indecisiveness in having Yuuichi get close to everyone did hurt the final conclusion a lot. It almost yearns for a Kanon After, but that's just me.
Yea that, and the never going to visit Sayuri/Mai/Shiori at the hospital even once kind of hurt the series, and the end of the series in my opinion. Kanon After my opinion on that would be heavily dependent on how they took things from there.

Quote:
I felt that Kanon used its time better when it mattered the most, though. -That being said, all 4 Key anime suffer from pretty awful pacing issues at one point or another. Clannad S1 actually had the best, but that really depends if you like Fuko or not.
I'll give you the all of the key series[well 3 I've seen anyways], and since I liked Fuko somewhat I'll agree on last part too.

Quote:
Spoiler for Angel Beats!:
Ya Kanade did go a bit overboard on that stuff, probably why I prefer Mai , also that reminds I still want to finish reading the Angel Beats LN before I posted a review on it, which I haven't .
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-16, 03:36   Link #289
asa.hoshi

Just finished watching it last night, forced myself to watch last 4-5 eps after each other because of all the suspense in the un-answered questions!

First off, this anime is extraordinary different from Clannad which I had watched prior. Clannad is currently the best anime I've watched thus far (out of like 15 animes =p )

My point in comparing is because the only reason I watched Kanon is because people said it has that same emotional PULL as Clannad, therefore in liking Clannad I should like Kanon.

All in all i think I was dissapointed because my extremely high thoughts on Clannad were difficult to maintain after watching a "good" Kanon. That is, if I watched it the other way around it would have been better.

I have not watched Kanon 2002, thats next on my list, i think its great how they made a 24 episode adaption because in 2006 I still felt it was rushed at the important parts, and slow during the un-important bits (pacing was bad imo) so i cannot think to imagine how the 2002 one is =/

I think KyoAni are superb in their skills of still making you SAD even though none of the characters died! (except sayuri's brother). What I think did this to me was saying Ayu in a wheelchair =(

Such a funny, energetic character in the whole anime is reduced to being restricted by a wheelchair... "do you think I will ever be able to run again Yuichii" ....

*compose myself emotionally*

I was rather surprised at the ignorance by the producers of Nayuki. Let me explain, I have read all the threads on every episode of this series and as a first time viewer my brain automatically told me "Nayuki is the 2nd main character after Yuichii" my reason for this? Look at the opening theme song, Nayuki is presented first....Yuichii lives with her....meets her first and so on.

In Clannad for example Okozaki meets Nagissa first and the rest is general knowledge.

Obviously as I kept watching the series the other characters were broguht in, but still....there was a potential to be a whole series based on "does he choose Ayu or Nayuki" especially after the issues of the other characters were resolved.

Thats not to say I liked Nayuki (sorry!) she was too weird/childish/ yawn yawn yawn.....so was Ayu in a way, but I had a liking to her character more haha. BUT in the last 3-4 eps I had a much greater respect for Nayuki than in the whole series! She matured and developed more.

Point of ^^^, well I think the producers should have had a whole episode and a bit dedicated to Nayuki as they did for Mai, Shiori, Makoto etc.

I gave Kanon a 7/10 overall because of potential. I think considering the game from what people have said explores each of the characters deeply, they did a good job in squeezing this into a 24 ep anime =)

But in the last 2 episodes it felt "empty" everything was so fast paced its like they did this

Scene 1- take a look at Akiko....secret revealed in regards to Ayu
Scene 2- we learn the fate of Sayuri
Scene 3- we learn the fate of Shiori
Scene 4- Makoto
Scene 5-everything is tied up (Ayu).

And note, each of the above events happen in rapid progression. I wonder whether it may have been wiser to have 2 episodes to explain each of the above rather than karate chop your way as they did... (note: I wonder....not "i think they should have")

Overall I don't regret watching it!
asa.hoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-24, 19:44   Link #290
kitten320

Nayuki was Yuiichi's cousin, how exavtly do you want to pair them, people?

It seriously wouldn't work for me and I have never viewed them as an item. It would lower series for me...
Old 2010-07-25, 01:45   Link #291
XGeneral2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
Nayuki was Yuiichi's cousin, how exavtly do you want to pair them, people?

It seriously wouldn't work for me and I have never viewed them as an item. It would lower series for me...
Marriage between cousins isn't illegal, or even frowned upon, everywhere. It might turn some people off, but realize that it's not taboo in a lot of cultures.
XGeneral2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-26, 19:05   Link #292
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Ah yes, one more note.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XGeneral2000 View Post

Spoiler for Mai:

Ah, I'm not sure which idea is worse. ;heh: I guess the VN one is the more meaningful path by a little bit. But now Mai can reverse time too?

Ironically, I felt that it was one of the few edges the 2002 version had. In that version...

Spoiler:

In the end, all of these conclusions have their own problems for my own suspension of disbelief. The best would probably have been an combination of the 2002 and 2006 ones-- don't nullify the effect of that amazing scene from the end of episode 14. If we didn't have Mai come back, it'd be a borderline Shaggy Dog Story where all the attempts to reach to her just failed.

2006 Mai is just too much of matyr The best things about Mai's story are also the worst things.

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2010-10-15, 03:13   Link #293
Khu
そんなやさしくしないで。。。

I have a feeling I made a post here somewhere before about finishing the VN first...

In which case, this is long overdue.

Well I've finished both, and the VN is much stronger than the anime. That being said...

By itself, the anime isn't 'bad'. However I felt they spent too much time introducing every character. Something about that kind of bugged me since the anime spent 4 episodes doing what I had done in the VN in around an hour. Even not knowing that, some of the episodes' pacing seemed a little off.

Because of that, I got kind of confused in the ending on my first watch through - it took a while for it to sink in, since it was like a giant uphill (almost vertical) to happiness from the sadness of the previous episode.

Nonetheless, the characterisation was still awesome, although I would have preferred if not as many characters were 'killed off', as it were. Yes I know it was to focus more on Ayu/Yuuichi, but it just peeved me that they couldn't think of anything better to do with the others than essentially fade them into the background unsubtly (CLANNAD suffered from this a bit as well, although it was much more subtle about it.)

In any case, it's a good KEY adaptation, just that I think the VN captured it better (almost always the case, but CLANNAD was on par as an anime. )

So, I hand down a 9. It's awesome, but it just doesn't seem to flow as well as CLANNAD did.
Khu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-20, 20:17   Link #294
asa.hoshi

Yes! Clannad was better!

If you think the characters in Kanon faded into the background, wait until you watch Air now THAT'S what I call fading into the background. If you have watched Air I refer to
(importance of Piko Piko?, Kano? , Minagi?)

Anyway, I laughed when you wrote "took a while to sink in" i know exactly what you mean!

When I watched the last 2 episodes and it just ended, I wasn't sure if I was meant to be sad or happy! I was just the whole time.

Until I thought about it more, and read some online summaries/explanations.
asa.hoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-04, 03:51   Link #295
shoyo

8/10

it's good but my money is still on clannad/as.. will try air..
Old 2015-12-24, 19:46   Link #296
Notshane
College Member

Don't mean to bump this extremely old post, but I was just finally watching Kanon and I had some opinions between the two; which, speaking of, might justify its own thread.

First, the Kanon I watched. Well Kyoto Animation delivered stunning visual quality, it was not too faithful to the original material as far as animation goes. Beyond that, it still looks very good, is more faithful to the story itself and still has my second favorite anime soundtrack. It was my first until I saw a certain anime that, despite having a cheesy story, had a VERY good soundtrack that made the cheesiness fade away every time it got serious. It is not comparable to Kanon.

Soundtrack aside, this one was one that I could never forget. However, sadly, the experience with most anime I see are so memorable that I can never really re-watch them. So, I kind of wish I could go back in time so I can watch this one all over again due to the feeling it left on me after I finished it. Truly is a very good anime for its time.

Now, the Kanon that I have recently watched. It has more focus to minor details that I know Toei Animation is known for a lot of the time with its anime, has an alright soundtrack and does only a few of the serious scenes a bit better than the new one does. Right off the bat, I notice that it looks a lot more faithful to the original in that Yuuichi looks more like that version of him, unlike the one done by Kyoto Animation. However, he has a huge chin; a freaking huge chin, and it looks a bit funny if you focus intently on it.

Aside from animation, it differs on everything else quite significantly. It has vague references to the other story elements that the more faithful Kyoto Animation anime payed attention to more significantly. In fact, just the unfaithful remake of the story alone makes it inferior to the second iteration, though I think it was being made at the time where even the source material was not yet finished with its story, so I can forgive it for that.

Overall, the first iteration I like a lot for its more faithful animation and attention to minor detail, but the second iteration I love a lot for its soundtrack, detail in lots of other areas, faithful anime adaption to the story and the voice actors, especially. If the first's character art was combined with the second's story, I think that would be the perfect anime right there.