AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2013-01-09, 22:57   Link #821
iceyfw

how is the pvp in this game? which class has the most advantage over other classes?
iceyfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-09, 23:25   Link #822
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desu View Post
Judging from how grindy it was. As well as how boring it was to me, I sort of expected this? I admit though, defeating Basilisk with my Lancer solo was a fun ride. But the game overall still bored me. That was all the way back to when TERA first released though. So things might have changed quite a bit since I last played.
Old 2013-01-11, 00:48   Link #823
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
The changes to the Korean version (which have not been implemented yet) seem to suggest that there will be a lot more standard MMO stuff to do... large-group content, more PvP related stuff, a 3-faction RTS-alike PvP system (complete with resource gathering and whatnot).

I suspect it'll also include a level cap bump and Bluehole seems to be reworking the gear system so that the "best of the best" is, like it is now, only obtainable through brutal RNG, either by in-game grinding or cash shop items (still a gamble though, not 100% pay-to-win). But the other side is also making "infinity minus one" gear (90% the effectiveness of the best stuff) fairly easy to get--which is something TERA hasn't had since the level cap was 50.

Personally I think this is a splendid idea, because they can make money off the obsessive "gotta catch 'em all" tryhards while letting the ordinary players still be able to experience all the game has to offer.
Old 2013-01-11, 02:48   Link #824
barcode120x
MSN, FNP-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooves View Post
Judging from how grindy it was. As well as how boring it was to me, I sort of expected this? I admit though, defeating Basilisk with my Lancer solo was a fun ride. But the game overall still bored me. That was all the way back to when TERA first released though. So things might have changed quite a bit since I last played.
Same. Tera was so fun when it first came out, but that fun died so fast for me when the grind just worse at higher levels. I loved the fighting style as well as skill animations (skill animations are usually the first things that catch my eye on mmos) but the grind was just horrible. That, and also how there wasn't too much variety in gear nor was it really "hard" to obtain. I'm not saying I like grinding mega hard-impossible to get gear, but I actually like to take the time to run the dungeons a few times instead of being able to just buy the gear off the auction house.

"Caring may occur without curing, but curing cannot occur without caring."

“Uncertainty is the most disturbing part of decision making.”
barcode120x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-05, 22:36   Link #825
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

So Tera became free to play with the update "Rising". For those interested in playing it still. I would recommend you play, and level with a friend. Or else you'll suffer from a slow, painful death. More info on what Rising brings is listed here - http://tera.enmasse.com/news/patch-n...190402#account
Old 2013-02-05, 22:45   Link #826
iceyfw

patch progress currently at 80%. i still haven't decided on a server with the other e-friends who are downloading it as well. maybe a pve server so we won't get slaughtered in the starting zones by players.
iceyfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-05, 22:53   Link #827
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Playing on Mount Tyrannus, I find changing channels often saves you from getting ganked. Although with this huge possible bringing of players, there might be gankers everywhere... I should have thought of that sooner.
Old 2013-02-05, 23:33   Link #828
relentlessflame

*Administrator

I expect that, at least for the first little while, you will have a "ganking" problem, particularly in places like Lumbertown if you join one of the older servers. There are, as always, some subscribers who are a bit annoyed about the game no longer being a subscriber-only club, and so pledged to basically be "annoying" to all the n00bs for a while. I'm not sure how much of that was just talk or what... but yeah, personally I've never had any interest in PvP anyway.

As for the levelling process... I actually think it's really easy to level on your own in Tera... but, particularly after you do it once and get over the fun of discovering all the new locales, it gets pretty repetitive (particularly because of all the "yellow" quests, which are usually pretty boring -- I've been thinking of just skipping them entirely for my next character, and only doing the story quests... despite giving up on a lot of "free exp" that way). The game's charm comes out particularly when you play it with friends and tackle the dungeons and BAMs.
Old 2013-02-06, 11:42   Link #829
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

I've been playing since launch and already I can see how this will end up. After the F2P launch, in-game gold just got absurdly easier to get--on the order of ten times easier than it was before--but only if you pay the "elite" subscription.

Subscribers get a daily gold boost from mobs and a daily gold boost from quests, in addition to 20 daily quests per day instead of 10. With the removal of the third-tier enchanting reagents and the reduction in price of the second-tier reagents, inflation is going to happen very rapidly.

And then the F2P trap will be complete. Everything you need to play the game will be so expensive that you'll be forced to use the cash shop in order to advance at anything beyond a snail's pace. Free players are limited to 10 daily quests per day and make around ~450g from them, while subscribers make 2,000g.

TERA's economy was pretty awful before, especially considering how utterly pointless crafting is, but it's going to get really, really stupid after this.

I give myself another few months to wrap up our existing RP plots and maybe by then FFXIV will be out.
Old 2013-02-06, 11:55   Link #830
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Is it that bad? I was going to give it a try when it's going free because it looks nice *cough*Elin*cough*.

Btw, did anyone manage to play it when it went free? I keep having problem logging in.
Old 2013-02-06, 12:07   Link #831
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duo Maxwell View Post
Is it that bad? I was going to give it a try when it's going free because it looks nice *cough*Elin*cough*.

Btw, did anyone manage to play it when it went free? I keep having problem logging in.
It's not that bad yet--the prices haven't completely adjusted and they probably won't until the new F2P customers start hitting the level cap. So I figure the game has another three months max before it becomes like every other F2P pile of shit--unplayable without spending $30+ per month in the cash shop on boosts and whatnot.

Funny you mention elins--they're literally the only thing keeping the game alive in Korea. The fact that they look more human and "sexy" than primal vs. the lyn of Blade & Soul (TERA's biggest competition) is pretty much the only thing that keeps BHS from shutting it down.
Old 2013-02-06, 12:28   Link #832
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

I didn't realize anyone could attack anyone just like that. Are all the servers on global PvP?
Old 2013-02-06, 12:29   Link #833
Mow Yun

Send a message via AIM to Mow Yun
Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
I didn't realize anyone could attack anyone just like that. Are all the servers on global PvP?
Only the PvP servers.
Mow Yun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-06, 12:32   Link #834
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

BTW I tried it a little a few days ago and was initially trying to level a human (?) priest. Are healers useful in this game or is this one of those games where healers are just for the sake of having a healer class in the game? (also tried a berserker, hence why I'm not sure if healers would ever become useful)
Old 2013-02-06, 12:45   Link #835
Mow Yun

Send a message via AIM to Mow Yun
They are incredibly useful in PvP and in the late game dungeons a healer is invaluable. Even the best players make mistakes and some bosses have attacks that can hit for far higher than what a Lancer or Warrior can block, so they will take damage through it.
Mow Yun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-06, 15:24   Link #836
Kyral
OC Belka Scriptor

Logged in again, now that it's F2P...
Funny... all my chars kept thier names, except my 2 Elin. Dang! And I really liked thier names. Ah well, I gave them something smiliar sounding... still feels wrong.

Still better then with SWTOR... after reinstalling I pretty much ragequitted because I had to rename all chars.
Old 2013-02-06, 15:56   Link #837
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Hmmm, I might show back up just to see if there is any decent deep immersion roleplay guilds left. I have little interest in the "Korean grindfest" as such.

Yeah, Elin were basically the only reason I stayed as long as I did.
Old 2013-02-06, 16:03   Link #838
Strigon 13
Electrosphere

Gotta try this game now it's f2p, I'm getting a little tired of the usual MMOs like Aion & WoW.

A question regarding performance: Can this game run in a 3 years old HP pavilion Dv4? I can run World of Tanks (bad example) at 20 fps in medium graphics.
Strigon 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-06, 17:34   Link #839
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Hmmm, I might show back up just to see if there is any decent deep immersion roleplay guilds left. I have little interest in the "Korean grindfest" as such.

Yeah, Elin were basically the only reason I stayed as long as I did.
My guild still exists and since the gameplay aspect of the game hasn't really improved, we've set ourselves to doing pretty much 99% heavy roleplay.
Old 2013-02-06, 20:42   Link #840
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Apparently, I'm still in the animesuki guild on my Lancer. Even though I'm a Slayer now.