AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Gurren-Lagann

Notices

View Poll Results: Gurren-Lagann - Episode 8 Rating
Perfect 10 184 76.67%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 32 13.33%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 9 3.75%
7 out of 10 : Good 7 2.92%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.42%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 7 2.92%
Voters: 240. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-05-22, 22:01   Link #221
X_Danny_X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazy8s View Post
Well, toss me into the corner with the ones that are happy Kamina is dead (and hopefully stays dead). I couldn't have been the only one who was annoyed by him getting all the spotlight and being too much of a perfect character; so much I couldn't see him having any character development at all. Well, besides dying and helping Simon mature into a spitting image of himself one day.

oh... and the fact that he hogged the lovely Yoko all to himself! That swine! Damn him...

Heres looking to the episode where Simon shines bright as a mature badass Kamina-like and hopefully with Yoko by his side

no, not yoko! she will be faithful to Kamina even after his death, well i hope so.

well Kamina was the one encouraging Simon and help save the day and plus he was a man while Simon is still a shy boy. You cant help but get attention when you do that and sacrificing your life for someone else. He help Simon become the man of the future that we saw in the beginning of episode 1, how can you hate him after doing all of that?

Beside, it is not like he went seeking all this attention.
Old 2007-05-22, 23:46   Link #222
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

LOL - I can say many things about Kamina but "not seeking attention" doesn't seem to fit! I agree with the rest of your statement, though - he was being true to himself, and trying to help Simon in the best (simplistic) way he knew how.
Old 2007-05-23, 00:07   Link #223
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

And you must remember: Simon offered Kamina Lagann and he refused because it would be stealing from his little brother.

Which leads into Kamina's greatest quote...

Old 2007-05-23, 01:50   Link #224
nubby

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKenobi View Post
And you must remember: Simon offered Kamina Lagann and he refused because it would be stealing from his little brother.

Which leads into Kamina's greatest quote...

I doubt that he would've been able to power it. Remember, Kamina can't do much without Simon
Old 2007-05-23, 02:12   Link #225
Zekori

Mmm, what can I say...

Spoiler for Episode 8, future speculation:

Oh well, as long as it keeps coming out strong like before (well, except episode four but thats...)
Old 2007-05-23, 03:17   Link #226
Grey

Hohoho! I haven't watched any of the other episodes, but I decided to take a look at this one when I heard there was a martyrdom in it. 9 points for campy awesomeness! I love a good death scene.

Now to decide whether to watch other episodes.... Probably not, but maybe some day.
Old 2007-05-23, 06:58   Link #227
Krazy8s

Quote:
Originally Posted by X_Danny_X View Post
no, not yoko! she will be faithful to Kamina even after his death, well i hope so.

well Kamina was the one encouraging Simon and help save the day and plus he was a man while Simon is still a shy boy. You cant help but get attention when you do that and sacrificing your life for someone else. He help Simon become the man of the future that we saw in the beginning of episode 1, how can you hate him after doing all of that?

Beside, it is not like he went seeking all this attention.
No doubt, I agree with you. I never hated Kamina - was just annoyed by him being the only bad-ass (and hogging Yoko!!) like I said. I was moved by his actions and his words towards Simon plenty of times throughout the show so far. He was one hell of a character and inspiration towards Simon. He needed to be, for Simon.

But now, it's time for my boy Simon to shine and take-over! I pity the fools who think Simon can't carry the show now. Maybe I'm just a sucker for such character development though. E.g., weak/scared boy matures into a bad-ass like shown in episode one.

Oh, and it probably doesn't help that I'm always biased towards the main protagonist of the show too. I can never help that.
Old 2007-05-23, 12:58   Link #228
rimaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey View Post
Hohoho! I haven't watched any of the other episodes, but I decided to take a look at this one when I heard there was a martyrdom in it. 9 points for campy awesomeness! I love a good death scene.

Now to decide whether to watch other episodes.... Probably not, but maybe some day.
ahhh comon you shouldve watched episodes 1-7 before 8!
Old 2007-05-23, 18:09   Link #229
X_Danny_X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazy8s View Post
No doubt, I agree with you. I never hated Kamina - was just annoyed by him being the only bad-ass (and hogging Yoko!!) like I said. I was moved by his actions and his words towards Simon plenty of times throughout the show so far. He was one hell of a character and inspiration towards Simon. He needed to be, for Simon.

But now, it's time for my boy Simon to shine and take-over! I pity the fools who think Simon can't carry the show now. Maybe I'm just a sucker for such character development though. E.g., weak/scared boy matures into a bad-ass like shown in episode one.

Oh, and it probably doesn't help that I'm always biased towards the main protagonist of the show too. I can never help that.
fair enough, though what would Simon say if heard what you said about Kamina?

hugging yoko, true but Yoko came after him, so blame Yoko for crushing Simon's heart! She was upset at the fact that Kamina decided to bring along Simon when she wanted to go hunting

im a sucker for wimpy boys to badass men transformation also, maybe because i can relate.
Old 2007-05-23, 22:23   Link #230
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
Roy Fokker? ROOOOY? NOoooOOoOoO!! ANNiiKKIIII!

great episode, haven't felt like this since i first watched Macross TV series and recently, Gunbuster/Diebuster.

Honestly, i dunno why people thing its a amazing they killed a main character, back in the old golden anime era, hero died aaallll the time.

We just going back full circle, just for the younger viewers.

But seriously, great episode, definitely need 10+ rating option on that poll
Old 2007-05-24, 09:39   Link #231
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizuka-GTO View Post
Roy Fokker? ROOOOY? NOoooOOoOoO!! ANNiiKKIIII!
I cant beleive you mentioned Roy i feel like I want to cry all over again now. Honestly Kaminas death had no affect on me honestly i found him very very no screw that UBER annoying. Simon may be timid but at least he seems like a real person Kamina was like comedy relief without being funny. I mean this whole episode i felt bad for Simon after witnessing Yoko's and Kamina's little trist on the eve of battle. Kamina never once thought about what might have been wrong with Simon he just yelled the same ol bullshit about being a man and beleive in your self and your my brother frankly it was laughable. Simon has real feelings that Kamina never really addressed or tried to help him overcome. The only reason Simon would get motivated in battle was because Kamina was hyped up not because he got hyped up on his own. I was wondering who Yoko was going to pick imo picking Kamina was stupid but hey to each their own.

I guess the next episode will be the crew mourning for Kamina and Simon wondering where his place in the world is
Old 2007-05-24, 11:26   Link #232
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
I was wondering who Yoko was going to pick imo picking Kamina was stupid but hey to each their own.

I guess the next episode will be the crew mourning for Kamina and Simon wondering where his place in the world is
I'm not quite sure Yoko had *picked* Kamina... but he was the reason she initially joined the team ("to see"). Flash and Bang is an easy attractant (when you're surrounded by dusty, down-to-earth people).
The kiss seem to have been the impulse of the moment, but now its all just a "what if" for her.

We'll just see how things go as Simon evolves into Simon v2.0 (since we're not sure how Yoko will evolve nor how Nia plays into the situation).
Old 2007-05-24, 14:46   Link #233
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Honestly Kaminas death had no affect on me honestly i found him very very no screw that UBER annoying.
how sad that you saw it this way...at first i was like what you are thinking but when the realisation of "omfg they are gonna kill of a main character" hits home i actually began to savor the short moments when he was alive...thus he has now become a legend in my books ~ (his death flag has aready been risen since ep 7 when i look back...*sigh*)

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2007-05-24, 17:49   Link #234
X_Danny_X

Quote:
I cant beleive you mentioned Roy i feel like I want to cry all over again now. Honestly Kaminas death had no affect on me honestly i found him very very no screw that UBER annoying. Simon may be timid but at least he seems like a real person Kamina was like comedy relief without being funny. I mean this whole episode i felt bad for Simon after witnessing Yoko's and Kamina's little trist on the eve of battle. Kamina never once thought about what might have been wrong with Simon he just yelled the same ol bullshit about being a man and beleive in your self and your my brother frankly it was laughable. Simon has real feelings that Kamina never really addressed or tried to help him overcome. The only reason Simon would get motivated in battle was because Kamina was hyped up not because he got hyped up on his own. I was wondering who Yoko was going to pick imo picking Kamina was stupid but hey to each their own.

might have been wrong with Simon? did Simon even showed a glitch on what was really wrong with him to Kamina? the answer is no, how is Kamina supposed to know and I can tell you when you are talking about the subject of Love, you dont want people to know. Besides, when he saw something was wrong with Simon, he went overthere like the true great close brotherly friend to help him out and you know it worked. I cant believe people who are Simon fans are hating on Kamina and doing their best to find things to downgrade him, a character that actually did his best to help and grow their very own character to what we will know in the future. Kamina, who gave up his life for Simon.

simon not hyped up? come on bro, the Guerran-Lagan is functional mainly because of confidence and believing in yourself. Kamina help find that for Simon and each time Simon got more confident by himself while Kamina pushing for him to reach further.
Old 2007-05-24, 22:59   Link #235
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I'm not quite sure Yoko had *picked* Kamina... but he was the reason she initially joined the team ("to see"). Flash and Bang is an easy attractant (when you're surrounded by dusty, down-to-earth people).
The kiss seem to have been the impulse of the moment, but now its all just a "what if" for her.

We'll just see how things go as Simon evolves into Simon v2.0 (since we're not sure how Yoko will evolve nor how Nia plays into the situation).
Well, they were going to have sex if he had survived....
Old 2007-05-25, 00:59   Link #236
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Gee, usually in big war epics they have the sex *before* the battle
Old 2007-05-25, 01:24   Link #237
PonSquared
A Very Senior Member

I gave this episode a 10 out of 10. I rarely give anything a perfect score as perfection is nearly impossible. However, this episode pulled it off.

Kamiya is and was one of my all time favorite characters. He exemplified everything great about being a man. He was the kind of man I would love to be: Brash, the definition cool, having a never give up attitude , a defender of the helpless, a leader, respected, loved, willing to give his life for his loved ones, and in death - missed.

I will be heading down to the hobby shop in Morioka some time soon to pick up a high quality model of him. I know exactly the pose I want to buy, too. I want him to be smiling, wearing his glasses can cape, with his sword slung over his shoulder looking the bad ass that he is.

When I have a son sometime later in life I will be sure to watch this with him. Even if its a cartoon a positive role-model is a positive role-model.

PS: Gainex does it again.
Old 2007-05-25, 04:20   Link #238
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
Quote:

lol.

yeah, must admit, while it was moving, kamia death didn't make me shed a tear, it wasn't as moving, touching or heroic as Roy's death , yes. Even after he kicked-arse, it was still lacking something, (or maybe because i was only a wee lad back then, and everything seemed better?)

anyway, i get what you mean, he didn't really have the depth of Roy (sorry can't help but to compare) and after watching Macross Zero and seeing Roy history in detail, i felt even more sad when I rewatched Macross series (10-15th time)

Anyway, Kamia death is rallying hero type of death, it was more similiar to Nandesico one.

BUT!

I suppose to all you wee lads out there, it was tear-jerking, so what the hell, to each of their own.

But honestly, back in my days, anime hero were more human, more noble, better character development.....

*rambles off*

Old 2007-05-25, 05:24   Link #239
quina

Send a message via MSN to quina
Quote:
gee, this is a kid show air at 8:30. You can't have both *before and *after can you?
Old 2007-05-25, 07:18   Link #240
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
no actually the feeling of having it after the battle will give kamina more of a reason to survive...too bad luck wasnt on his side
*yoko is only 14 yoko is only 14*

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Closed Thread