AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Gurren-Lagann

Notices

View Poll Results: Gurren-Lagann - Episode 27 (END) Rating
Perfect 10 340 65.01%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 97 18.55%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 35 6.69%
7 out of 10 : Good 18 3.44%
6 out of 10 : Average 8 1.53%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 0.38%
4 out of 10 : Poor 3 0.57%
3 out of 10 : Bad 2 0.38%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.19%
1 out of 10 : Painful 17 3.25%
Voters: 523. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-09-29, 21:36   Link #81
Shinndou
魂を踊らすように

Quote:
Originally Posted by musashiken View Post
You know, I've always hated bitter sweet endings. And this takes the cake.
I don't know if I'll ever pull myself together again after today...

But life goes on, I'll live my life to the fullest and perhaps one day, when I'm watching the R2 Dvds, I'll think of all the good memories...

But just let me T_T for now...
But that's the good thing about this kind of endings. It's bittersweet. Bitter, and yet still sweet. You hate it, and yet you love it. Even though there are parts that make you sad, you feel it's perfectly complete and satsfying, somehow. I was honestly scared that Gainax might have screwed up with this last episode, but I am damn glad that I was proven absolutely wrong.

Anyway, I honestly feel this show has the potential to become a new milestone in the recent anime history, because of its unique style, animation, pacing, and because it's a well told, epic tale. There's been a lot of good shows this year so far, but this one is probably the one with that magic, that charm that makes you feel you've watched something pretty big.

I have certainly become a poor hopeless fanboy, but may I damned if I atleast haven't been honest in conveying my emotions about this.

Thank you for having produced such an awesome show, Gainax (and for not having screwed it up).
Old 2007-09-29, 21:50   Link #82
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ori View Post
Spoiler:

well you know what they say, "Old soldiers don't die, they just fade away"

*salutes*

/(T-T )
Old 2007-09-29, 21:52   Link #83
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinndou View Post
But that's the good thing about this kind of endings. It's bittersweet. Bitter, and yet still sweet. You hate it, and yet you love it. Even though there are parts that make you sad, you feel it's perfectly complete and satsfying, somehow. I was honestly scared that Gainax might have screwed up with this last episode, but I am damn glad that I was proven absolutely wrong.

I agree completely. I love these type of endings because there is actual meaning behind them. I was hoping for a happy ending but I actually think what we got is better. Then again I have always been a fan of bitter sweet endings.

And the ending with Simon was a nice full circle type ending.
Old 2007-09-29, 21:55   Link #84
Malintex_Terek
Mahjong Triple Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by musashiken View Post
You know, I've always hated bitter sweet endings. And this takes the cake.
I don't know if I'll ever pull myself together again after today...

But life goes on, I'll live my life to the fullest and perhaps one day, when I'm watching the R2 Dvds, I'll think of all the good memories...

But just let me T_T for now...
I was in your shoes when I finished Mahoromatic.

Fully prepared for a surrealistic, LOL GAINAX ending as I was, that show hit my hard enough to punch a hole through my soul. I was outrageously depressed and frustrated with that ending, it was just so melancholic. Especially for such a light-hearted series.

Of course there were hints of a "deeper", more serious plotline underneath the magical girl prop-up, but dear gosh I had no idea it would get that important. When I saw what happened with Yuuichirou Konoe, I knew the ending could be nothing more than terrible but GAH.

In comparison, GL had an awesome end. At least it made sense, if the dream sequence in twenty six and the galactic battle we saw today were quite a bit surreal.

Time will heal all wounds, especially if age is married with productivity and success. Go with the light, friend.
Old 2007-09-29, 21:55   Link #85
quina

Send a message via MSN to quina
shit...shit.....SHIT!~

bitter sweet complete ending, how un-Gainax like...

and Nia die, shit.... Utawareru mono all over again.....I am down now.
Old 2007-09-29, 21:55   Link #86
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
oh haruhi.....the raws are...MASSIVE!

Guess i have to just wait for the subs.....DAMMIT!! or maybe youtube?

i hope not, i hate the quality on youtube..... ;_;
Old 2007-09-29, 22:02   Link #87
Malintex_Terek
Mahjong Triple Pro

Hey folks, I just discovered something.

Spoiler:

Grr, Gainax, you are such a tease!
Old 2007-09-29, 22:04   Link #88
Neki Ecko
Dancing with the Sky

Send a message via Yahoo to Neki Ecko
O.....M........G...

I have to say this "This has been a very epic last couple of months". I think 2007 has been best Anime in very long time, with Gurren-Lagann, Claymore, and others including SD. This series is going to be remember for a very long time and I cant wait until ADV put this out and we can all enjoyed the epic story for years to come. EVA just found itself a rivaly in GL for greatest anime of all time. But back to the episode, I am very satisfy and I enjoyed it alot.

ADV, Please for the love of God, dont screw up the dubs, I will never buy from yall again if that happen(now that is question, who will be VA on this) and put this show on Adult Swim and Anime channel as well.
Old 2007-09-29, 22:05   Link #89
ashlay
the red string of fate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malintex_Terek View Post
Hey folks, I just discovered something.

Spoiler:

Grr, Gainax, you are such a tease!
oh come on, its perfect.

if that's there (along with the one spiral eye) it basically means that Simon has been making himself useful over the years, helping people that the government overlooks.
Old 2007-09-29, 22:08   Link #90
CSakuraS
Canon Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neki Ecko View Post
ADV, Please for the love of God, dont screw up the dubs, I will never buy from yall again if that happen(now that is question, who will be VA on this) and put this show on Adult Swim and Anime channel as well.
I say screw the dub, I'm buying all the DVDs just for the subs.

Though, if the dub does manage to be good, that would be nice too. I don't think anyone would be able to top the Japanese performances though, especially Simon and Kamina and all the passionate yelling and manly speeches.
Old 2007-09-29, 22:11   Link #91
Neki Ecko
Dancing with the Sky

Send a message via Yahoo to Neki Ecko
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSakuraS View Post
I say screw the dub, I'm buying all the DVDs just for the subs.

Though, if the dub does manage to be good, that would be nice too. I don't think anyone would be able to top the Japanese performances though, especially Simon and Kamina and all the passionate yelling and manly speeches.
hmm, how about the VA for Shinji from EVA as Simon voice (okay, you can throw tomatoes at me) and for Kamina, now that is going to be very hard for that.
Old 2007-09-29, 22:12   Link #92
quina

Quote:
I was in your shoes when I finished Mahoromatic.

Fully prepared for a surrealistic, LOL GAINAX ending as I was, that show hit my hard enough to punch a hole through my soul. I was outrageously depressed and frustrated with that ending, it was just so melancholic. Especially for such a light-hearted series.
But Mahoro didn't die!~ she came back and be with the main lead again. In GL Nia is well.. gone, so I BAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Quote:
When "Old Simon" kneels to assist the kid in the epilogue, his clothes make chain sounds.
probably from the drill rod he is holding, why would it be any significant though? Are you trying to suggest something?

Spoiler:
Old 2007-09-29, 22:18   Link #93
musashiken
ニア ☆ 命

Quote:
Originally Posted by quina View Post
But Mahoro didn't die!~ she came back and be with the main lead again. In GL Nia is well.. gone, so I BAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
I know.... BOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

*sob

But if it's any consolation, Nia is the ultimate tribute to Ayanami Rei and Nono...
Old 2007-09-29, 22:24   Link #94
Malintex_Terek
Mahjong Triple Pro

I've got to agree on that, Nia = Nono. Warning signs have now been established for when Yukari Fukui voices another Gainax production.

Quote:
But Mahoro didn't die!~ she came back and be with the main lead again.
Spoiler:

Quote:
probably from the drill rod he is holding, why would it be any significant though? Are you trying to suggest something?
I don't think the rod would make those kinds of sounds.

On my implication, who knows?
Old 2007-09-29, 22:25   Link #95
Kirarakim

I am sure Gurren Lagann will air on the Anime Network since it is ADV's own channel but it would be nice if they could get it on Adult Swim to reach a larger audience (it's technically not a show aimed at adults but I don't think it would ever get on Toonami).

I am still hoping for a good dub (I usually do like ADV's dubs) but I'll by the DVDs regardless. I really wish we knew when they were coming out already. I also hope we get a nice collectors box (maybe with a small model of Gurren Lagann).
Old 2007-09-29, 22:54   Link #96
pinoy78
Yahk, DECULTURE!

Fuck I'm getting teary eyed here.

Damn you Gainax for exceeding my expectations.
Old 2007-09-29, 23:04   Link #97
zalem

Really EPIC ending. The fight scenes were amazing. Just amazing. Final mech Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann kicked so much ass.

That said, it was a rather depressing ending. I actually would have stopped it as the credits rolled and not added the scene afterwards.
Spoiler for last episode:

Still, overall an excellent ending to a really wonderful series. Definitely one of my favorites of Spring 07.
Old 2007-09-29, 23:12   Link #98
Malintex_Terek
Mahjong Triple Pro

There's an old Viking saying if I recall correctly.

"Even a handless man can herd sheep, but a corpse is no good to anyone".

Aside from the "spiral power" issue, there's nothing metaphysical in Gurren-Lagann, it's straight science fiction. Even if one believes in the soul and the existance of an after-life, there was still much good Simon could do in this universe with his life - he's an educated man, and he's a powerful one with a lot of worldly/life experience. Society could still benefit from his work.

The simple life isn't something to be snuffed at, many famous historical or mythological figures didn't enjoy basking in glory either, despite a career of much success.

Besides, "Simon the Wanderer" is only, what, forty one years old as of the end of the series? He's still got thirty years left according to our first world's standard of living, probably more in his universe.

I'm surprised his spiral energy didn't keep him young. Outside of plastic surgery, Ron looks the same as always, but everyone else looks much, much older. =/
Old 2007-09-29, 23:17   Link #99
quina

Leeron probably make himself immortal using some science technology just like what Spiral King did to himself once before...

FABULOUS forever, well kinda make sense if he has to be the one who makes all those GL and ready them for the war. Genius life who live forever is awesome.
Old 2007-09-29, 23:22   Link #100
Samanosuke
Genma Killer

damn it Gainax , you've made me cry ! damn you !
Closed Thread