AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2019-07-05, 17:46   Link #1
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Hero/character who does lots with little power

I just recently remembered an old American fantasy series called Elvenbane I read long ago (sadly incomplete since one of the two authors passed and the other doesn't feel right completing it alone). Among the elven upper class, women are deemed entirely inferior to men due to the fact that they have far less power; however they train themselves in control and detail and eventually one girl, with a little help, realizes that the controlled tricks she uses to make pretty art could just as easily be used to pinch a couple blood vessels and kill a person near instantaneously. I was wondering if there's any anime, light novels or manga with something similar: a major character or hero whose power or power level is extremely minor and weak, but who manages to figure out ways to make small acts go a long way.
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-06, 05:33   Link #2
DragonOsman
Dragon King

One light novel series I can think of is Rakudai Kishi no Eiyuutan, where the main male lead has really low magic power but can steal others' weapon techniques and defeat strong people. In this series, normally one's amount of mana is decided at birth and can't be increased, but one can break through one's limits with something called Brute Soul (also called "awakening") which puts them outside of fate and allows them to be able to increase their mana capacity through training. The MC in this series undergoes Brute Soul later on and he's been training every day since he was little but his mana is still pretty low because he started off with the lowest tier of the lowest rank in terms of mana capacity. He's learned to control it a bit better, though.
Old 2019-07-06, 09:10   Link #3
wuhugm
Confused Shark

There's that webnovel where the MC can only teleport like 3 grams of matter
wuhugm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-06, 11:30   Link #4
0cean
Transfer Adventurer

So something like Toaru Index, where Kamijou Touma is the weakest, but manages to save the world anyway by punching women?
Old 2019-07-06, 13:02   Link #5
Lex79

One series that comes to my mind is Rising x Rydeen, where the protagonist in a world filled with supernatural powers has a really weak one, but still manages to solve situations by being smart.
For Rakudai, I don't know, while it's true that Ikki has very little magic power, he us never shown as weak being an incredibly good swordsman, at least as far as the anime goes.
Old 2019-07-11, 11:07   Link #6
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuhugm View Post
There's that webnovel where the MC can only teleport like 3 grams of matter
What web novel is that? And are there any translations?

Also, I'm surprised I didn't think of this before but Kazuma of KonoSuba is a good example of what I'm looking for (though even more exaggeratedly low power is great). He's average to below-average in most areas and can only use beginner-level techniques, but he quickly learns to do a heck of a lot with what little he has. Especially true in the LN, like when he swaps parties with Keith for a day.
Spoiler for for those that haven't read the LN:

Last edited by BWTraveller; 2019-07-11 at 13:09.
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-14, 04:33   Link #7
Tenzen12

The Wrong Way to use Healing Magic: It's not like Mc has sub bar power, but healing magic is not too useful offensively. Across the story Usato keep developing lot of tricks and special moves that makes extremely tricky fight him

Of course other thing is he is musclehead who can punch dragon too, but regarding magic alone he certainly fits the bill.

PS:Well, I should say though translated novel and manga just got into phase he starting repurpose his magic for first time developing his "healing bullets" from this point it starts snowballing.
Old 2019-07-14, 20:50   Link #8
AnimeFan188

Waver Velvet from Lord El Melloi II Case Files has only 3rd-rate magical power, but a 1st-rate intellect,
which he uses to solve magical mysteries.
AnimeFan188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-15, 02:11   Link #9
cyberdemon

Naofumi from Rising of the Shield Hero. He has nonexistent attacking power but supreme defense. He’s looked down on by the other heroes and the kingdom who summoned him. Yet of the heroes he ends up the most successful in doing his duty.