AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Old 2008-10-27, 16:58   Link #4121
Jintor

No, no. The McCain camp is ever rising! If anything, it's more like the Hindenburg.
Jintor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-27, 18:10   Link #4122
raikage
日本語を食べません!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg1942 View Post
Ok I may be asking too much that's laced with weird questions... will there be more restrictions in manga-industrial-complex (some samples of 2D lolicon for example) under democratic-led congress? I know that Republican-era congress wasn't so friendly to 2D lolis.

How about the supreme court? Obama may put 3 new activist judges (with good intentions) in the SC during his first term, but may end up twisting/spinning/bending the 1st amendment, causing 2D lolis to be banned. If 2D loli is banned I might say to myself "nothing of value is lost" since most people who are into that stuff can just download it anyway (just don't bother importing, and don't forget to *shred* the files after viewing).
I... er, don't think they would care about the "manga industrial complex."

And 2D loli should pass muster, since there is no exploitation of real children taking place.

I don't really believe in the concept of activist judges, either. To me, that's a codeword for "judge who made a ruling I disagree with." Judges, by definition, can't take a proactive stance in shaping law. Someone has to disagree with it and bring it before a court. The court cannot take the first step.

And by the time it hits the SC, it's gone through (if I recall correctly) no less than three different courts. It's been tried, and re-tried, and then looked at again, and then appealed once again. So there is something there worth analyzing.
raikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-27, 18:18   Link #4123
Aquillion

While not related to the presidential election, this is still very important:
Alaskan Senator Ted Stevens Convicted.

This will likely end his career and give his seat to the Democrats (his seat, of course, is up in the upcoming election.) If an Obama victory brings the close senate races with him on his coat-tails (or even just more than half of the other close senate races), it will give the Democrats 60 seats in the Senate. For those who don't know how the US Senate works, 60 seats is a sort of 'magic number'; it's the number of votes in the senate you need to shut down a filibuster and force an issue to a vote.
Aquillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-27, 18:29   Link #4124
Cherudim Arche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post

This will likely end his career and give his seat to the Democrats (his seat, of course, is up in the upcoming election.) If an Obama victory brings the close senate races with him on his coat-tails (or even just more than half of the other close senate races), it will give the Democrats 60 seats in the Senate. For those who don't know how the US Senate works, 60 seats is a sort of 'magic number'; it's the number of votes in the senate you need to shut down a filibuster and force an issue to a vote.
There goes another senator.
Cherudim Arche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-27, 18:33   Link #4125
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:

I hope the democrats do get a majority, but not 60 seats. 57-59 would be good though, enough to get things done, but not enough to stop the republicans from filibustering if the democrats are doing something really stupid. Though judging by the last few years, the republicans would be more likely to filibuster things like ending indefinate detention for suspected terrorists and banning torture, while letting things that might actually be a problem slip past.
Old 2008-10-27, 18:36   Link #4126
Luminisk

Quote:

All the the more reason why McCain should be spreading his support rather than focusing on his crippled campaign. Not many understand what is at stake this election cycle; the republican not only stand to lose the white house but also any effective role in the senate.

Ads by the republican senators up for re-election already strike the ring of an Obama victory, and warnings what would happen with a filibuster proof Democratic senate.

Luminisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-27, 18:38   Link #4127
james0246

Quote:

Well, Stevens could still come out ahead. He can still win his congress position (he is beloved in Alaska), and then Bush could pardon him (at least I think that Bush can pardon him), and finally I seriously doubt that the Senate would try and kick out Stevens (even if the Democrats do get the majority) for fear of looking like bullies right after they gain power. So, if Stevens wins his election, he will undoubtedly be okay.

The funny part of all of this, is that even if Stevens is re-elected as a State Senator, because he is now a convicted felon, he cannot vote for himself . For some reason I find this hilarious.

Last edited by james0246; 2008-10-27 at 18:58.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-27, 19:03   Link #4128
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356 View Post
I hope the democrats do get a majority, but not 60 seats. 57-59 would be good though, enough to get things done, but not enough to stop the republicans from filibustering if the democrats are doing something really stupid. Though judging by the last few years, the republicans would be more likely to filibuster things like ending indefinate detention for suspected terrorists and banning torture, while letting things that might actually be a problem slip past.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminisk View Post
All the the more reason why McCain should be spreading his support rather than focusing on his crippled campaign. Not many understand what is at stake this election cycle; the republican not only stand to lose the white house but also any effective role in the senate.

Ads by the republican senators up for re-election already strike the ring of an Obama victory, and warnings what would happen with a filibuster proof Democratic senate.
i actually don't see a democratic 60 senate rubber stamping the democratic agenda. Remember quite a few of those senate democratics are former republicans like Webb and Tester. Others are either moderates or conservatives, that is about 10 seats. Should be enough to side the Republicans when the times comes to shut down at stupid bill going through the senate.
Old 2008-10-27, 19:58   Link #4129
Neki Ecko
Dancing with the Sky

Send a message via Yahoo to Neki Ecko
I think it is going to be 59 - 41, but I do have a feeling that one of the 41 would probably switch from GOP to Independent, then they will have the 60 seats.

I think that early voting is also a big problem for McCain right now, since there are 32 states in now in early voting, it will bring more Democratics then GOP plus Black and Latino votes has been very very high then previous last 2 elections. I got this from AJC in Atlanta, where they started early voting about a week ago

Quote:
VOTING NUMBERS

Number of ballots cast by close of business Oct. 24: 1,056,352

Number of registered voters as of Oct. 20: 5,748,838

Early voting turnout: 18.4 percent

Number of ballots voted in person: 899,702

Number of mail-in ballots returned: 156,650

TURNOUT DEMOGRAPHICS

Black: 371,017 35.1 percent

White: 644,030 61 percent

Asian-Pacific Islander: 4,505 .43 percent

Hispanic: 5,830 .55 percent

Native American: 149 .01 percent

Other: 30,821 2.9 percent

Female: 590,546 56 percent

Male: 434,985 41.2 percent
and the last two election, Black vote was 23% and 28% and it looks like it will suppass that mark, even the Georgia Sect of State is starting to scale back votes because of issues from SSN to citizenship(I got hit up too about that) and that is happen everywhere, alot of more people is voting more than ever and alot more of Democratic and non-white voters is coming out in force.
Good Luck John McCain, you will need alot of luck to win this.
Old 2008-10-27, 20:03   Link #4130
Cherudim Arche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neki Ecko View Post
I think it is going to be 59 - 41, but I do have a feeling that one of the 41 would probably switch from GOP to Independent, then they will have the 60 seats.

I think that early voting is also a big problem for McCain right now, since there are 32 states in now in early voting, it will bring more Democratics then GOP plus Black and Latino votes has been very very high then previous last 2 elections. I got this from AJC in Atlanta, where they started voting about a week ago

and the last two election, Black vote was 23% and 28% and it looks like it will suppass that mark, even the Georgia Sect of State is starting to scale back votes because of issues from SSN to citizenship(I got hit up too about that) and that is happen everywhere, alot of more people is voting more than ever and alot more of Democratic and non-white voters is coming out in force.
Good Luck John McCain, you will need alot of luck to win this.
McCain needs something else rather than relying on luck to succeed.
Old 2008-10-27, 20:34   Link #4131
einhorn303

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg1942 View Post
>killing spree
>beheading
>shot out the window of a church

...and the Republicans complain about Obama "palling around with terrorists?"

McCain supporters are getting more and more dangerously anti-American.
einhorn303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-27, 20:59   Link #4132
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

The American form of terrorism these days seems to be mostly emanating from the extreme rightwing between bombing federal buildings, medical clinics, sending powdered mail, and racial killings.
Old 2008-10-27, 21:08   Link #4133
Aquillion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356 View Post
Don't forget, a big part of the reason the Democrats have been making such gains in the senate (and are likely to make more this term) is because they've been willing to run quite conservative candidates. Especially in the last few years, the Republican party has gotten much, much narrower in terms of the views it represents (with almost every liberal-leaning Republican senator in the northeast losing their seats), while the Democrats have gotten far more diverse.

So even if the Democrats get 60 seats, it's not like they're going to be able to keep those votes together and just steamroller everything in their path. They will likely have to avoid particularly controversial votes, since they won't want to force their conservative members to take positions that are unpopular in their district.

I think it would be a good thing. If the Democrats get 60 seats, what you can expect to see happening is almost all the "culture war" issues getting dropped off the radar -- there will be absolutely nothing about abortion, gays, guns, anything like that anywhere near the Senate floor. (Except maybe ending the military's "Don't ask, don't tell" policy, which everyone who isn't stark raving mad agrees needs to be ended.)

I think that it would be a good thing. Those hot-button issues have dominated political discourse in the country for way, way, too long.
Aquillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-27, 21:10   Link #4134
einhorn303

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
The American form of terrorism these days seems to be mostly emanating from the extreme rightwing.
Not just these days, it's been that way for years.

Bill O'Reilly, Michael Savage, Sean Hannity on accused shooter's reading list
4-page letter outlines frustration, hatred of 'liberal movement'

July 28, 2008 - Police found right-wing political books, brass knuckles, empty shotgun shell boxes and a handgun in the Powell home of a man who said he attacked a church in order to kill liberals "who are ruining the country," court records show.
Knoxville police Sunday evening searched the Levy Drive home of Jim David Adkisson after he allegedly entered the Tennessee Valley Unitarian Universalist Church and killed two people and wounded six others during the presentation of a children's musical.
http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2008/ju...-suspects-car/

Muslim Children Gassed at Dayton Mosque After Obsession DVD Hits Ohio

"Friday, September 26th ended a week in which thousands of copies of Obsession: Radical Islam's War Against the West -- the fear-mongering, anti-Muslim documentary being distributed by the millions in swing states via DVDs inserted in major newspapers and through the U.S. mail -- were distributed by mail in Ohio. The same day, a "chemical irritant" was sprayed through a window of the Islamic Society of Greater Dayton, where 300 people were gathered for a Ramadan prayer service. The room that the chemical was sprayed into was the room where babies and children were being kept while their mothers were engaged in prayers."
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/chris-..._b_130076.html

National Security Watch: 60 right-wing terror plots foiled

"In the 10 years since the 1995 Oklahoma City bombing killed 168 people, roughly 60 right-wing terrorist plots have been uncovered in the United States, according to an upcoming report by the Southern Poverty Law Center's Intelligence Project. The plots, all foiled by law enforcement, reportedly included violent plans by antigovernment militia groups, racist skinhead organizations, and Ku Klux Klan members to use various types of chemical bombs and other weapons."
http://www.usnews.com/usnews/news/ar...2/12natsec.htm
einhorn303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-27, 21:34   Link #4135
Shadow Kira01

Quote:
Originally Posted by einhorn303 View Post
>killing spree
>beheading
>shot out the window of a church

...and the Republicans complain about Obama "palling around with terrorists?"

McCain supporters are getting more and more dangerously anti-American.
Certainly seems that way. Everytime the McCain supporters show their support for Senator McCain, his popularity and the popularity of the Republicans become more tarnished.
Shadow Kira01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-27, 21:41   Link #4136
nanafan
horo fan

wow about that Alaskan senator, are there any congressmen that aren't corrupt? i still don't know how this stuff is gonna turn out, it looks like obama is going to win. i don't know..i didn't think bush would be president twice, or i hoped he wouldn't and now he's almost gone...whew
nanafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-27, 22:38   Link #4137
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neki Ecko View Post
The Obama campaign is pushing pretty hard to get as many early voters as possible. There are like, a thousand Obama posters asking people to vote right now on my Uni campus, and the voting booth inside the campus is packed all day. It is pretty interesting, because just about any other election in US history saw the youth vote turnout to be disappointingly low. Can this election turn that over?

It's sad that I can't vote, or else I would have actually voted today. It's exercising my right, and they're making sure you can't get much more convenient than that. So what's the excuse, right?

...maybe we youngsters can finally break down the Tyranny of the Retirees? Down with Generation X!

Mind, it's a little disconcerting that the Obama campaign is the only one doing this from what I can see, and some people might raise issues like how close is too close when there are pro-Obama posters and volunteers plastered all over campus (none close enough to break the law, though), but I also think that it's pretty responsible campaigning when you're telling as many people to vote as possible as opposed to, oh, try to push the envelope and focusing on a more...unsavory tactic, like the McCain campaign is doing.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-27, 23:02   Link #4138
Luminisk

When the going gets weird the weird turn pro.

Seeing the McCain camp turn on itself is simply unbelievable, comedic to an extent if it were not so sad, they are caught on the topic of who is to blame for Palin's shopping binge...
This is probably going to go down as the most bizarre campaign in US history.

Luminisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-27, 23:06   Link #4139
Cherudim Arche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminisk View Post
When the going gets weird the weird turn pro.

Seeing the McCain camp turn on itself is simply unbelievable, comedic to an extent if it were not so sad, they are caught on the topic of who is to blame for Palin's shopping binge...
This is probably going to go down as the most bizarre campaign in US history.
I don't think it will go as the most bizarre, but most entertaining campaign in history.
Old 2008-10-27, 23:17   Link #4140
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
...maybe we youngsters can finally break down the Tyranny of the Retirees? Down with Generation X!
You know that Obama is a GenXer .

---

I found this to be an interesting blog-post (see here) detailing the breakdown of McCain's Campaign, specifically, the campaign's inability to properly fight off Obama, and the many mistakes that the various state GOP leaders took that resulted in this seemingly lopsided race.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
debate, elections, politics, united_states