Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-10-11, 10:07   Link #461
Jarmel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartianMage View Post
Images
Mirai
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

You aren't supposed to be moving your free hand like that unless you want to chop it off with your own swings.

Take note I didn't even need to pause the fight frame by frame to notice these. When I watch actions scenes I rarely do that... I only do it on really fast paced and elaborate choreographies.

I've seen a lot of crouching sword stances and the one Mirai goes into looks really awkward. These awkward stances and movements are problems with the choreography. The cinematography is almost non existent in this fight and to top it all the poor choice in the background music doesn't help too.
I didn't pick this up till you did the screenshots but she looks to be ambidextrous. She switches from holding the sword in the right hand to using the left hand. There aren't any sword styles that I can think of where you would use both hands in that manner, probably because nobody could really do that. It seems almost like she uses duel swords in regards to her motions.

I think the crouching stance is fine. I thought there was an issue with the angle of her left foot as it seemed to be twisted at a weird angle but then I checked a video of a sword exhibition and the man had it twisted at the same angle. He also had the other foot elevated slightly as well although the angle of the knee is different but Mirai is keeping a straight back and hers was more of a sliding attack compared to his twirl.

You can check it at this video at 1:52, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2A7o6YWWBiQ
Jarmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-11, 10:26   Link #462
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

1000 yen...gods...how will she survive....It hurts me to think about

Also...the fact that Youmu has the same kanji as the Touhou character....I keep imagining her and Youmu in a sword duel...
Old 2013-10-11, 13:32   Link #463
neshru

You know, that blood sword is actually pretty fucking huge. Does that poor girl have any blood left in her?
neshru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-11, 13:40   Link #464
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by neshru View Post
You know, that blood sword is actually pretty fucking huge. Does that poor girl have any blood left in her?
I guess a more logical answer is that because she can manipulate her blood like that she just makes more than the average person. Or could be a special characteristic of her blood that she can make do with less than what a normal person could handle.
Old 2013-10-11, 14:23   Link #465
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
It's a no brainer, but Sentai licensed it:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...boundary-anime
Old 2013-10-11, 18:01   Link #466
Sound of Azure
...Is that so?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
I guess a more logical answer is that because she can manipulate her blood like that she just makes more than the average person. Or could be a special characteristic of her blood that she can make do with less than what a normal person could handle.
Do you know how much blood anime people have? It's ridiculous!
Sound of Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-11, 20:31   Link #467
Ravenblitz
|・ω・`)

Send a message via MSN to Ravenblitz
Newtype

Old 2013-10-11, 20:41   Link #468
Tranhieu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenblitz View Post
Newtype
Holy belly button! I want more of that!

But I gotta say her glasses are pretty well done the more I watch the show. Fits her character perfectly.
Tranhieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-11, 23:51   Link #469
Shinhwa
Banned

Seriously this anime although it's an anime, it also gives me a movie feeling XD
Shinhwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-12, 00:08   Link #470
Reincarnated
World Inverse Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenblitz View Post
I need the clean version for this to be my new desktop background

By the way , episode 4 summary looks very dark. I really look forward for it.
Reincarnated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-12, 00:32   Link #471
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Damn, and here I thought there was a new term for childhood friend, when CR of all people made a mistake from mishearing the word (I thought they translated from scripts? :shrug.

Oh well, considering 'klutziness' is not my moe, I think I prefer Mitsuki over Mirai anyways. Like second episode is better in that regard, but first episode had a very bad first impression of Mirai giving off 'Fuuko' vibes, who incidently is probably my least favourite girl of that series. XD

Well, at least the series so far is still watchable for me, if only for the fight scenes. Kinda forgot KyoAni does a great job of that, but hey, who can blame me for forgetting after Free?

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-12, 15:54   Link #472
chaos_animagic

Feels like this anime is to be some sort of Dark-Horror-Tramatic MOE anime.

And I am guessing a lot of the "mistakes" that we pointed out in first 2 episodes are either on purpose or they really do make a lot of mistakes.
chaos_animagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-12, 15:57   Link #473
Dextro
He Without a Title

I'm actually really disappointed with the action scenes we've got so far. It's not so much that they weren't well animated, it's more the fact that KyoAni is clearly lacking a skilled scene direction for them. That just goes to show that the ability to do good animation alone isn't enough to make an engaging action scene, it also takes someone with the skill to set one up like a conductor directs an orchestra.
Old 2013-10-12, 18:32   Link #474
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R
Mirai is a less mature Yomiko Readman of Read or Die fame.
I definitely got that vibe from the show/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina2 View Post
Mirai's personality and the way she speaks reminded me of Fuko from CLANNAD.
Also true.

Overall I'd say that while I haven't been convinced yet that this will be a great anime, each episode has made me decide to watch the next one.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-12, 18:36   Link #475
Arturia Polaris
Good OP Hunter

Well I'm only watching it for the romance between Akihito and Red eyes black drag- I mean shade.

cheers

My fanfiction works include:

Tari Tari: Past and Present, As the Gentle Breeze Blows
Little Busters: Bird's Song
Sword Art Online: Vanquishing of the Laughing Coffin

My own works include: Social Fact
Arturia Polaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-12, 21:10   Link #476
NinjaRealist
Battoru!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arturia Polaris View Post
Well I'm only watching it for the romance between Akihito and Red eyes black drag- I mean shade.

cheers
I think Akihito and scarf boy is the most interesting pairing in the show and no, I'm not saying that because I like yaoi pairings more than straight ones (I don't), I just thought that they had the most engaging and humorous rapport of any of the pairings.
Old 2013-10-13, 00:03   Link #477
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
I'm actually really disappointed with the action scenes we've got so far. It's not so much that they weren't well animated, it's more the fact that KyoAni is clearly lacking a skilled scene direction for them. That just goes to show that the ability to do good animation alone isn't enough to make an engaging action scene, it also takes someone with the skill to set one up like a conductor directs an orchestra.
This.

In addition to the mistimed comedy which plaguing this series since the first episode (it's like every other Kyoani series in that they seem to be too comfortable using the same formuale they have been for years), I noticed that whilst the action scenes themselves were well animated, the choreography was quite bad. They didn't flow very well from one scene to the next to the point and it shows there is clearly a deficiency.
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-13, 00:14   Link #478
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
I don't really understand this, maybe because I'm not much of an action fan. Can you direct me to another current or recent show where I can see what you think of as well directed action?
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-13, 00:26   Link #479
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
I will agree that the choreography seemed more flash then tense. However, this early in the show I'm not sure that we need tense, so I think it's a little early to be saying it's no good.

It seems to me that maybe people were expecting a more tense/mysterious/horror taste from this anime. I got more of an action/adventure/tearjerker feel myself. For the former, yes this would be a bad start. For the latter I think the show is doing just fine.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-13, 00:40   Link #480
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
I don't really understand this, maybe because I'm not much of an action fan. Can you direct me to another current or recent show where I can see what you think of as well directed action?
I can't speak for Dextro, but here are some examples of what I consider well-directed action:

Railgun S Episode 5, starting at 22:20 to the end of the episode - Not so much for the action (although what is there leaves a real impact), but for the BGM. That is the sort of catchy/intense BGM that gets the adrenaline flowing for a big action scene and/or cliffhanger (more cliffhanger in this case).

Railgun S Episode 6, first 6 and a half minutes or so - Excellent mix of flashy animation, awesome-looking attacks/counters, fitting BGM, and dialogue between combatants to heighten the intensity of the moment.

Most of the Railgun S action scenes between Episodes 8 and 10. BGM admittedly could have been better here, but everything else was very good, imo.

Fate/kaleid liner PRISMA ILLYA Episode 6. Heck, Prisma Illya in general was loaded with fantastic action scenes, but Episode 6 was truly glorious.

All of the following Fate/Zero fights...

Spoiler for Major Fate/Zero spoilers:

I'll leave it at that for now.

Tags
blood magic, demons, seinen, supernatural, tragic past