Old 2013-03-05, 07:24   Link #1621
rantaid

yay. hope they adapt until monkey get fledging phoenix of harima
rantaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-31, 16:02   Link #1622
Top Sergeant

Sentai Filmworks has the license for Oda Nobuna no Yabu

http://www.sentaifilmworks.com/news/...mbition-of-oda

A Wikpedia entry said there will be a release (to include an English dub) this December. I am hoping there is, to allow greater exposure for this excellent anime.
Top Sergeant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-24, 18:28   Link #1623
Top Sergeant

WAHOO!!

I got the 2014 release (English dub) of The Ambition of Oda Nobuna. I just watched the first episode and

THE VOICES ARE EXCELLENT!!

Old 2014-12-24, 23:31   Link #1624
Tempest35
Awe of She
*Author

...really now. I just may put effort into getting this then.
Old 2014-12-25, 08:44   Link #1625
Top Sergeant

OK I marathoned the DVDs last night and I was very, very pleased with ALL the dub voices, and I've never said that before. The only one which could have been a little better was Katsuie. She was fine delivering lines in a normal voice, and her voice fit Katsuie, and I really liked some of the lines the writers gave her (made her really sound like a brusque, tough samurai) but any of the lines she should have shouted just didn't seem to have much force behind them. Made it seem odd. And I realize that if that is the most negative thing I have to say then, wow, this dub was really, really good.

The other voices were all at least as good as the original Japanese voices in terms of suiting the characters. In fact if I didn't know better I'd swear Innuchio voice was the same person, just speaking English. A few IMO were a little better, especially Hanbe. She still sounded like a little kid, but she didn't squeak . Nobukatsu was definitely better too.

Nobuna, Yoshiharu, Juubei, Saito Dosan, Bontenamru, Danjo Hisahide and Nagahide were perfect. Bontenmaru and Hisahide especially captured the essence of their characters, particularly Hisahide's maturity combined with her being a nutcase sociopath.

The script was well written for an English speaking, and particularly American, audience. It made use of idioms, slang and speech patterns to convey the right message the characters were sending; Yoshiharu is very believable as a High School teenager. They did well to make things clear to someone who knows nothing about Japanese history who was who and what was happening. And they did NOT dumb down anything, or make things PC, because this was a "Cartoon".

Looking back at many other dubs I have seen / own, I got to say to Sentai that whoever you put in charge of making this dub, GIVE THEM MORE WORK! This crew knows what they are doing! Too many have been mediocre, or have had half the voices sound right and the other half sound wrong, or the translated lines have seemed off. The Oda Nobuna dub is definitely a gem.

Last edited by Top Sergeant; 2014-12-25 at 08:45. Reason: spelling
Top Sergeant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-25, 10:02   Link #1626
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Wow, an actual positive impression on English dubs!
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-26, 14:31   Link #1627
Tempest35
Awe of She
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Sergeant View Post
OK I marathoned the DVDs last night and I was very, very pleased with ALL the dub voices, and I've never said that before. The only one which could have been a little better was Katsuie. She was fine delivering lines in a normal voice, and her voice fit Katsuie, and I really liked some of the lines the writers gave her (made her really sound like a brusque, tough samurai) but any of the lines she should have shouted just didn't seem to have much force behind them. Made it seem odd. And I realize that if that is the most negative thing I have to say then, wow, this dub was really, really good.

The other voices were all at least as good as the original Japanese voices in terms of suiting the characters. In fact if I didn't know better I'd swear Innuchio voice was the same person, just speaking English. A few IMO were a little better, especially Hanbe. She still sounded like a little kid, but she didn't squeak . Nobukatsu was definitely better too.

Nobuna, Yoshiharu, Juubei, Saito Dosan, Bontenamru, Danjo Hisahide and Nagahide were perfect. Bontenmaru and Hisahide especially captured the essence of their characters, particularly Hisahide's maturity combined with her being a nutcase sociopath.

The script was well written for an English speaking, and particularly American, audience. It made use of idioms, slang and speech patterns to convey the right message the characters were sending; Yoshiharu is very believable as a High School teenager. They did well to make things clear to someone who knows nothing about Japanese history who was who and what was happening. And they did NOT dumb down anything, or make things PC, because this was a "Cartoon".

Looking back at many other dubs I have seen / own, I got to say to Sentai that whoever you put in charge of making this dub, GIVE THEM MORE WORK! This crew knows what they are doing! Too many have been mediocre, or have had half the voices sound right and the other half sound wrong, or the translated lines have seemed off. The Oda Nobuna dub is definitely a gem.
You realize that you've set the bar up incredibly high for dub watchers, right?

Tags
action, historical, romance, shounen