AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-10-30, 23:13   Link #641
SatelliteCannon

Maybe the US team will field a Stuart or some tank destroyer to give them some variety. The M18 Hellcat would be the most interesting, I think. Even though its a late-war TD, its nonexistent armor may make it the only thing the Type-89 or 38(t) can even damage with their popguns.
SatelliteCannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-30, 23:39   Link #642
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duo Maxwell View Post
Wait, I thought the volleyball team took down one's fuel tank or something. How did it manage to join the battle against the PzIV?
What got shot was the Matilda's external fuel tank, which provides extra fuel for extended range. This external tank isn't plumbed into the engine though, and so shooting it would have no ill effect on the Matilda at all. It's essentially the tank equivalent of a jerry can hanging behind a car.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-30, 23:43   Link #643
Scarletknive
Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimpleng View Post
See this video, now its up to you if tank drifting is unbelievable.
Spoiler for video:

Hmm... I'm curious.

O_O... I think those tracks will be tired out by then. With all those drifting...

Poncozu? Isn't that Japanese for "Junk"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
What got shot was the Matilda's external fuel tank, which provides extra fuel for extended range. This external tank isn't plumbed into the engine though, and so shooting it would have no ill effect on the Matilda at all. It's essentially the tank equivalent of a jerry can hanging behind a car.
So its either hit the front or side? The back part looks like it is shielded thanks to the fuel tank.
Old 2012-10-30, 23:57   Link #644
Random Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarletknive View Post
So its either hit the front or side? The back part looks like it is shielded thanks to the fuel tank.
Frankly, the volleyball team lacked the means to take out the Matilda no matter where they hit it, short of a miraculous fluke shot of some kind. That's why I was thinking they should have gone for the treads, if at all possible. And that's why all the tank experts here are saying they need to trade up for something better. For tank-vs-tank battles, the Type 89 seems completely useless.
Random Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-31, 00:08   Link #645
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

They can still fix the treads, though. I'd say that's the best thing they could archive so far with the destroy of external fuel tank.
Old 2012-10-31, 00:43   Link #646
Random Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duo Maxwell View Post
They can still fix the treads, though. I'd say that's the best thing they could archive so far with the destroy of external fuel tank.
Treads can be reseated (the student council team did that), but I defy them to reassemble a tread that's had a hole blasted through it within the time limits of one of these matches.
Old 2012-10-31, 00:57   Link #647
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Wanderer View Post
Treads can be reseated (the student council team did that), but I defy them to reassemble a tread that's had a hole blasted through it within the time limits of one of these matches.
As a famous improvisionist said, “Never underestimate the holding power of chewing gum and expired credit cards.”
Old 2012-10-31, 01:16   Link #648
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

I LOL'd at the Mario Kart view of the mid-city tank chase. The battle was enjoyable, and I didn't really know what to expect next.

Perhaps the StuG crew will re-think using those flags.

Endless "Point blank miss" Soul
Old 2012-10-31, 01:55   Link #649
Marina2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Wanderer View Post
Frankly, the volleyball team lacked the means to take out the Matilda no matter where they hit it, short of a miraculous fluke shot of some kind. That's why I was thinking they should have gone for the treads, if at all possible. And that's why all the tank experts here are saying they need to trade up for something better. For tank-vs-tank battles, the Type 89 seems completely useless.
Can't they aim to destroy enemy's caterpillar tracks or a main gun???
Old 2012-10-31, 01:59   Link #650
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina2 View Post
At the time they fired their first shot, they can't target the main gun since it's facing forward, and their 2nd shot bounced off the thick armored gun mantlet.

The tracks are a viable option, but they would still be screwed given that the Matilda's main gun was still operational. Track damage doesn't count as a knockout (see the Student Council), so the Volleyball team was dead either way.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-31, 02:00   Link #651
LeoXiao
思想工作

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeisterBabylon View Post
As a famous improvisionist said, “Never underestimate the holding power of chewing gum and expired credit cards.”
Or they could, you know, just use some replacement tread sections.
LeoXiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-31, 02:19   Link #652
Julio C
Bury My Shell

Send a message via AIM to Julio C Send a message via MSN to Julio C Send a message via Yahoo to Julio C
Silly Miho thinking she could take out Tatiana Wisla that easy in a battle.
Julio C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-31, 02:59   Link #653
jwai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio C View Post
Silly Miho thinking she could take out Tatiana Wisla that easy in a battle.
Better than conceding straight away.

Next battle against the Shermans will be interesting. They are all mid-range workhorses, compared to the wild variety that is Oorai's team. The PzIV, Grant and StuG should have game against them, but not the rest of the lights in the team.
jwai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-31, 03:26   Link #654
Chiaki_chan
Kubo GO TO HELL

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimpleng View Post
Hmm... I'm curious.

this is not the relationship between them?

if it's not then I too am curious
Old 2012-10-31, 03:44   Link #655
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post

I'm not sure what you mean since the IS-2 has about the same level of protection as a Tiger I.
Sloping in IS-2's armor to increase protection without a large weight increase
Old 2012-10-31, 04:03   Link #656
whitecloud

Anyway is any of the tank in our team can be upgraded? I read many comment about the 89 is very weak, is anything could be done about it?

Or maybe just upgrade the rest of the team tank equipment to its respective latest one to cover that one weakness...?

P.S : anyone want to try the pastry? I'm starving when I see it...and the Ankou dance...i won't dance it even if I'm being paid...imagine if it being upload to YouTube...would you?
whitecloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-31, 04:06   Link #657
Ravenblitz
|・ω・`)

Send a message via MSN to Ravenblitz
NSFW
Nyantype
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

NSFW
Megami
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Last edited by Ravenblitz; 2012-10-31 at 04:16.
Ravenblitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-31, 06:41   Link #658
Liddo-kun
is this so?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
Spoiler:
Not putting inside spoiler anymore since most people seem to have watched the episode already.

I think someone in this thread mention that Miho seems to have tried to shoot the Churchill one more time in the spot where they previously shot it. Would that have been enough? In any case, that big green tank sure is durable, it was shot 3 times (once by the volleyball team in the mountains, and twice by PZ IV team) and it still keeps going.

Well, even if they didn't win, the crew learned some valuable experience in the practice session.
I have a feeling that the crew of the pink tank would try harder next time.
Liddo-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-31, 07:04   Link #659
Random Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liddo-kun View Post
I think someone in this thread mention that Miho seems to have tried to shoot the Churchill one more time in the spot where they previously shot it.
Actually, I think she was trying to get around the side of it to hit it where its armor is weaker. However, Darjeeling saw through her maneuver and kept the turret tracking sideways so that the only place they could hit was on the Churchill's front armor.
Old 2012-10-31, 12:20   Link #660
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SatelliteCannon View Post
Maybe the US team will field a Stuart or some tank destroyer to give them some variety. The M18 Hellcat would be the most interesting, I think. Even though its a late-war TD, its nonexistent armor may make it the only thing the Type-89 or 38(t) can even damage with their popguns.
I find American tank destroyers a lot more interesting than their tanks, and I'd love to see some in action. However, they're also open-topped, so they shouldn't be used in Panzercraft for safety concerns. In any case, a 37mm gun can still penetrate an M4's side and rear armor, so the 38(t) isn't completely useless.

If Ooarai didn't already have an M3, then I expect Saunders to field one. There's still a chance for them to field a Pershing to break up the M4 monotony. Too bad the Pershing is ridiculously overpowered against Ooarai.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina2 View Post
You'd want a decently powerful gun for the treads, and the Type 89 doesn't have one. Usually what happens is that a gun with poor armor penetration but a good high explosive round can use the latter to damage a track. Destroying an enemy's gun is very difficult, and you'd need a powerful gun there as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
Sloping in IS-2's armor to increase protection without a large weight increase
I'm still not sure how that makes it light - isn't the total amount of protection the only thing that's important?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecloud View Post
Anyway is any of the tank in our team can be upgraded? I read many comment about the 89 is very weak, is anything could be done about it?

Or maybe just upgrade the rest of the team tank equipment to its respective latest one to cover that one weakness...?
The only thing you can do is to replace the Type 89 with a better tank. It was obsolete before World War II started. There's only so much you can do to make up for a tank that can't really accomplish much.

Quote:
Not putting inside spoiler anymore since most people seem to have watched the episode already.

I think someone in this thread mention that Miho seems to have tried to shoot the Churchill one more time in the spot where they previously shot it. Would that have been enough? In any case, that big green tank sure is durable, it was shot 3 times (once by the volleyball team in the mountains, and twice by PZ IV team) and it still keeps going.
A hit that doesn't penetrate only creates a shallow indentation on the armor face. Hitting there again isn't going to help much unless the weapon is already close to penetrating. If there are repeated hits, it might be enough to fracture the armor plate, but that usually require quite a few powerful hits (5+?), and only against the more brittle armors. There's exceptions to this rule like extremely powerful HE or HESH hits, but generally if you can't penetrate, there's no real effect at all.

The Churchill Mk. VII is one of the heaviest-armored WWII tanks, and taking hits is one of the main reasons it was built.

Quote:
Well, even if they didn't win, the crew learned some valuable experience in the practice session.
I have a feeling that the crew of the pink tank would try harder next time.
I have the feeling that the vehicles and crews were chosen very specifically as an easy way to demonstrate the strengths and weaknesses that matter in tank combat. The M3 is to show the effect of panic and inexperience, the Type 89 to show how weak certain tanks are, and the 38(t) to show how ineffective a 1-man turret is. I'd imagine that these will be expanded on in future episodes, but only if it doesn't interfere with the story that's being told.

Tags
comedy, gup, original anime, slice of life, sports, tanks