AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Valkyria Chronicles

Notices

View Poll Results: Valkyria Chronicles - Episode 20 Rating
Perfect 10 17 29.82%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 15 26.32%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 9 15.79%
7 out of 10 : Good 6 10.53%
6 out of 10 : Average 4 7.02%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 1.75%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 2 3.51%
1 out of 10 : Painful 3 5.26%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-08-16, 11:48   Link #61
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterSeeker View Post
You don't seem to understand three things.
1. Those aren't shown on screen doesn't mean they don't exist. I can't see cockroaches in my house, so are they not there?
2. One can't possibly stay unharmed when those who're close to him (or emotionally/physically-linked to) passed away. From your words I guess you won't even feel sad when those teacher you like dies. If so, then it's just too bad.
3. If one actually likes a boy/girl, they'll usually try to stay close to him/her as much as possible. They spend less time with their friends, but it doesn't mean they don't care about their own friends.

The only reason Faldio tests it on Alicia is, obviously, she's the one whose behivaour is closest to a Valkyria. I guess you haven't experience "even chances are low but worth a chance" situations then......Though it's still dangerous I must say.

[Sarcsm]
Just like some others in the thread, I think some people here are just pretty "blinded" by how the anime illustrates stuff since they played the game before. "Crap" here, "shit" there......Can't you all think ways otherwise in the anime route? It's not the same thing as that damn game.
Just like Gundam 00 S2's "Everyone say it crap" ending------I wrote a 2-season evaluation about it afterwards, and complained that "those who said the ending was crap are just because they missed out points throughout the series" while they can't link them up in any other ways other than straight lines.
Yes, the game is a good one without a doubt, but please don't put your "obvious logic from the game" into the anime so that "the anime should go this way or it's crap". It's just making people sick.
[/sarcsm]
1. Those aren't shown on screen doesn't mean they exist too. Or else I would write a crap story and when editor would look at me asking what kind of crap I brought here, I would say it is a super story just the great stuff happens off-screen. Yet, if you are script-writers or writer you are expected to show stuff. Or heavily imply (which did not happen either). One can imagine most ridiculous things ad they would be as legitimate as other imaginings. You just cannot waltz in and say - hey everything happens off-screen, now praise my genius self.
2. One can't possibly stay unharmed when those who're close to him passed away. True, but Alicia is part of them too. Eve bigger part than any of them in fact.
3. Care for friends doesn't mean that the care for the girl is gone.

Thats the problem. They just ignore whole Faldio relationship with Alicia, friends dead but it does not kill what relationship he had with Alicia, more so, because he seemed to be more interested in her than in those friends to begin with. He knows too little to take such big gamble for the one (one of the last ones too) he cares so much about. In fact because of these deaths it should be even harder to do so as she is one of those rare precious ones left for him.

I know it is not like in the game. I could not play game and still hate it, because of crap script-writers as these. Game has nothing to do with it. If it was well done who would care if it doesn't follow original - viva la difference! But if it sucks the game is remembered to make the mistakes more obvious.

It is not because I compare it to a game I see it as a crap, its because I see it as a crap I compare it to the game.

Last edited by Darknemo2000; 2009-08-16 at 13:08.
Old 2009-08-16, 12:20   Link #62
golthin

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post
BTW nice choice of words with that negative rep you gave me earlier today. That attitude and approach is much more becoming of a Ranka fan, than a Sheryl fan.
off topic:
are you kinding? maybe you are a good sheryl fan, but going by my experience when the shipping wars were going on, sheryl fans are much more vicious than Ranka fans. I was always being attacked by Sheryl fans and my stance was neutral. They hated me because I wouldn't give my endorcement to Sheryl. I never was attacked once by a Ranka fan.
Old 2009-08-16, 13:12   Link #63
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Can we please not drag Macross Frontier discussions here? Even worse, about the different camps? Pretty please? There's a whole sub-forum for that series, you guys know?

Old 2009-08-16, 13:24   Link #64
Sassarai
Army of One

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagdPanther View Post
No problem.

Trust me, it's developed a LOT more in the game and makes a whole lot more sense. And it still takes you by surprise when it happens, so despite development, it doesn't ruin the moment.
Despite the many flaws in the anime, (mostly caused by Fabio IMO) the series has been pretty enjoyable to watch. It makes me want to play the game a lot right now. I just wish fans would stop throwing in video game knowledge without using pms or spoiler tags at least -____- (Only Ranka fans are evil enough to do this).
Old 2009-08-16, 13:49   Link #65
justavisitor

Ranka fans are evil enough to do what?? I even got a "death threat" from Sheryl fans in macross forum..nothing I could imagine can top that

anyway, back on topic, I wonder how Welkin would react in the next episode??
I am a Ranka fan and I have significant experience in defending various "crimes" committed by Ranka, from her evil plan to terminate human races, to feeding inapporiate food to unknown lifeforms. If you think you find "new" charges aginst Ranka and you are interested, or you care to see how a particular Ranka fan would respond, please feel free to check my previous comment. There is a good chance that I have answered a similiar issue. And of course, my viewpoints do not necessarily represent other perspectivs from numerous Ranka fans in this planet
Old 2009-08-16, 13:51   Link #66
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

I hope Welkin puts a bullet through Fabio, myself. Never gonna happen, I guess...

Old 2009-08-16, 13:55   Link #67
justavisitor

But Faldio can't hide what he is doing right? Isn't shooting your comrade in military supposed to receive a death sentence? But from the preview, nothing happens, and Faldio seems back to normal (the look from his eye)
I am a Ranka fan and I have significant experience in defending various "crimes" committed by Ranka, from her evil plan to terminate human races, to feeding inapporiate food to unknown lifeforms. If you think you find "new" charges aginst Ranka and you are interested, or you care to see how a particular Ranka fan would respond, please feel free to check my previous comment. There is a good chance that I have answered a similiar issue. And of course, my viewpoints do not necessarily represent other perspectivs from numerous Ranka fans in this planet
Old 2009-08-16, 13:57   Link #68
Father Hentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
I hope Welkin puts a bullet through Fabio, myself. Never gonna happen, I guess...
I am not sure how you would react when a single person soloed your complete squad.

Moreover the problem of Faldio in his fatal shock status is that he assumes that Alicia is a valkyrie (yes, we all know it from the intro).

The shot may end the friendship between the trio but I think that Faldios role did not end yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justavisitor View Post
But Faldio can't hide what he is doing right? Isn't shooting your comrade in military supposed to receive a death sentence? But from the preview, nothing happens, and Faldio seems back to normal (the look from his eye)
Not in our country army. He will for sure get jailed but it is to research why he did act so. After that he will be judged and in worst/best case dismissed unhonored from the army.
Old 2009-08-16, 13:59   Link #69
Manji Midou
Aimo ~ Tori no Hito

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierOfDarkness View Post
I'm a little confused why people who did play the game are freaking over Fadio.
As much as l like the idea of them trying to return to the game roots, surely you can't be asking me to disregard the horrible writing regarding welkinxaliciaxfaldio that was forced down my mouth for 18+ episodes can you now?

Even though the writers tried to imply that faldio was not really all their to make a rational decision be it out of fear/broken down/ wanting to awaken alicia to her powers still makes little sense and has to make you want to laugh. lt's like l'm given an apple to eat. l'm 3/4 done with and they tell me it's an orange l been eating this whole time... that's B.S. you can't expect me to accept such stupidity.

>_>
princess cordelia better watch out faldio might shoot her as well

game faldio= zero emotional attachment to alicia, knew her as "welkin's sweetheart" ...
shooting her fit his game persona
anime faldio= strong emotional attachment to her, shooting her makes little sense, at times looked like he stalked her.

Last edited by Manji Midou; 2009-08-16 at 15:01. Reason: ps3 browser sucks for typing ...
Old 2009-08-16, 14:05   Link #70
Sassarai
Army of One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manji Midou View Post

Even though the writers tried to imply that faldio was not really all their to make a rational decision be it out of fear/broken down/ wanting to awaken alicia to her powers still makes little sense and has to make you want to laugh. lt's like l'm given an apple to eat.... l'm 3/4 done with and they tell me it's an orange l been eating this whole time... that's B.S...... you can't expect me to accept such stupidity.
I rather find out about Alicia's powers by having her trip over a rock and hit her head on a nail. That would be so awesome.
Old 2009-08-16, 14:06   Link #71
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Quote:
>_>
princess cordelia better watch out faldio might shoot her as well
THIS. Watch out, Princess!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Father Hentai View Post
I am not sure how you would react when a single person soloed your complete squad.
Neither am I, but I probably wouldn't go around shooting a comrade-in-arms and, worse, someone I've declared my feelings for. It feels forced as all hell, even with the "out of mind" excuse going on. Sorry.

Old 2009-08-16, 14:10   Link #72
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Even though the writers tried to imply that faldio was not really all their to make a rational decision be it out of fear/broken down/ wanting to awaken alicia to her powers still makes little sense and has to make you want to laugh.
Pretty much. Sure he just lost his comrades, and is in a complete state of fear and shock, though the fact is he shot the woman he's been sniffing around for about 80% of this show upto now, and has declared his love for her, and i just can't help but laugh at how poorly it was handled, not to mention forced.

This is what happens when the scriptwriters keep in game plots, and mix them with their own half-hearted attempts. It makes the sniper scene from last weeks episode all the more hilarious.
Old 2009-08-16, 14:15   Link #73
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikuchi View Post
Wow.

I usually don't come here so i didn't knew too much about the popularity of this adaptation, I'm kinda surprised to see see is flames and rage all around.
"Epic fail" ? "Wish the writers would get fired" ? WTH ? Am I trapped in some Code Geass thread or something ?

Anyway, I'm having a blast with this series and I absolutely loved this episode.
I never quite understood the Selveria hype before, but this episode sure corrected that matter.
I totally didn't saw the outcome, thinking rather that Faldio would get it or something, and was thus kinda "pleased" (Brr).

(I may as well precise that I do not own a PS3 and thus didn't played the original game. But it's not like I ****ing care, since the series on its own is totally worth it for ignorant little me)
When the job is to adapt the anime according from existing material such as a very evry popular game, there's no right for the writer in taking liberties to change the whole spirit of what made the game look great. All we say is that Michiko Yokote (the screenwriter) displayed a huge number of poor pieces of judgement in how to develop the whole storyline.

That's even more disappointing when I think of the good things Yokote did as a writer for a number of series and now dares taking lots of liberties without having the original screenwriter around to tell him what to do. When I made the FFVII comparison a few weeks ago, I said the studios should have done everything in their power to hire the original game's scripwriter in order to keep the essence of Valkyria Chronicles to make it greatly satisfying for everybody. In other words, never you should change a winning combination even if you know things will have to be changed from the original work.

In my words, I felt the Faldio situation has been a little overdone (although understandable) and Yokote missed his last opportunity completely to make a link with the game: what is supposed to be Isara's dream has to be the thing which...

Spoiler:

Last edited by KiraYamatoFan; 2009-08-16 at 14:28. Reason: re-formulating & adding things
Old 2009-08-16, 14:39   Link #74
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
He knows too little to take such big gamble for the one (one of the last ones too) he cares so much about. In fact because of these deaths it should be even harder to do so as she is one of those rare precious ones left for him.
Good insight. Couldn't have said it better myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
This is what happens when the scriptwriters keep in game plots, and mix them with their own half-hearted attempts. It makes the sniper scene from last weeks episode all the more hilarious.
Like I said before, this is going to be a big 'lolwut' moment.

Sure, maybe the next episode can somehow salvage this, but for now I think it deserves some sort of award.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiraYamatoFan View Post
In my words, I felt the Faldio situation has been a little overdone (although understandable) and Yokote missed his last opportunity completely to make a link with the game: what is supposed to be Isara's dream has to be the thing which...

Spoiler:
Oh, don't worry. Faldio will still have his chance at redemption.

And yes, I'm actually serious. Somehow, I think we haven't seen the end of this so-called brand new direction yet.

Last edited by kujoe; 2009-08-16 at 14:56.
Old 2009-08-16, 14:50   Link #75
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

I have mixed feelings toward this episode. Although its a good thing that whatever originality intended for the anime is at this point dead or dying. Sure, we will still see plot twists here and there in addition to the difference between game & anime counterparts, but at least I don't have to deal with silliness like Faldio's pet boy.

Honestly, I don't think he added much to the story. I don't even know why he is there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by golthin View Post
off topic:
are you kinding? maybe you are a good sheryl fan, but going by my experience when the shipping wars were going on, sheryl fans are much more vicious than Ranka fans. I was always being attacked by Sheryl fans and my stance was neutral. They hated me because I wouldn't give my endorcement to Sheryl. I never was attacked once by a Ranka fan.
Not vicious, just numerical superiority. From a pure strategic point of view, Ranka fans has no choice but to resort to guerrilla tactics in order to preserve their integrity. Thus there are numerous occasions where the acolytes of HER MOST HOLY MAJESTY THE EMPRESS GALACTIC FAIRY had their rep. sabotaged by equally vicious Ranka fans . You just won't see them in the open, as the numerical disparity is simply too great for the latter

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2009-08-16, 14:54   Link #76
kujoe
from head to heel

C'mon guys.

Good arguments can be interesting once in a while, but please keep the Sheryl and Ranka fan accusations where it belongs.
Old 2009-08-16, 14:55   Link #77
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Case closed for tha Sheryl/Ranka stuff.

Can we continue the original discussion, please?
Old 2009-08-16, 14:55   Link #78
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoe View Post
C'mon guys.

Good arguments can be interesting once in a while, but please keep the Sheryl and Ranka fan accusations where it belongs.
I see my attempt to make a joke out of it failed.

Sorry, but there are times when I see military analogies in... well, everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiraYamatoFan View Post
Case closed for tha Sheryl/Ranka stuff.

Can we continue the original discussion, please?
Yes yes, as I said, Faldio's pet boy is worthless. His passing only resulted in my relief.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2009-08-16, 15:01   Link #79
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
I see my attempt to make a joke out of it failed.

Sorry, but there are times when I see military analogies in... well, everything
Fair enough.

Quote:
Yes yes, as I said, Faldio's pet boy is worthless. His passing only resulted in my relief.
Ah yes, Ramal.

When I think about it, I think he serves as a shell in which viewers channel their fondness for Isara. The anime attempts to give them an outlet, or attempts to 'cute-ify' the character by portraying a possible budding romance. Of course, we know how that worked...
Old 2009-08-16, 15:02   Link #80
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoe View Post
Sure, maybe the next episode can somehow salvage this, but for now I think it deserves some sort of award.
Indeed. For now i want to get all the laughs i can out of it.

Quote:
Three cheers for pointless character going bye bye?