AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-12-26, 02:54   Link #281
greatpower2

Is there a movie or is it just a mean joke for all haruhi fans. It was supposed to come out Christmas Day according to the rumor I heard.
Old 2008-12-26, 02:57   Link #282
brocko

Rumours are just exactly that, rumours. Don't believe any of them untill they're proven true.

http://www.freerice.com/ - For each word you get right, 10 grains of rice is donated through the UN to help end world hunger.

Last edited by brocko; 2008-12-26 at 06:16.
Old 2008-12-26, 04:51   Link #283
Mimir
Stable and Ready to Roll

Location: I'm probably somewhere, but I can't seem to find myself...
This anime opened a new avenue in my mind called 'fandom'.

Well, not that I'm complaining, but the sleepless nights are ruining my sanity...
Old 2009-01-01, 00:39   Link #284
Akka

I guess I'll be the exception to the neverending praises about the serie.

Don't be mistaken, I quite liked the show all in all. I was awed by the sheer quality overall. Drawings, animation, camera, all is simply PERFECT. Kyoto is once again proving without competition when it comes to quality.
Most of the character staff was also quite likeable and enjoyable.

But, honestly, Haruhi is totally insufferable, and the fact she always wins it all, and is able to continue on her atrociously self-centered, childish, immature and, after all, really dumb mentality without any backlash, is frankly maddeningly painful.

Having a not-nice character is not bad in itself. I doubt she is supposed to be likeable at first.
But she's the romantic interest of the hero, and we are supposed to be at least somehow sympathetic to her at some point to fully enjoy the show - and it's completely beyond my possibilities.

I DID enjoy most of the show. But I did enjoyed, hoping that sometimes, someday, she will get a well deserved and large karmic comeuppance. Which never happened, leaving me in a very frustrated state.

Haruhi isn't a victim (it's people around her who are the victims, and they are HER victims), and her reasons to show such an abhorrant personnality have no redeeming quality - they are shallow, childish and stupid reasons.

Being so antipathetic, she can only be good for comedy. But the show isn't only comedy, and though it allows it a richer storyline and better development, it falls flat because it means we're forced to take Haruhi as something else than comedy - at which point she became not funny, but reppelant.
When not played for laugh, such personnality is simply horrible. She's immature, totally incapable of empathy and capricious to the point of being, frankly, evil (or at least very seriously mentally ill - a very real case of sociopathy).
Making her having "pet the dog" moment (like the music band, which felt completely out of character in the context of the anime because of that) isn't sufficient to compensate for her downright criminally selfish mindset ("woah, there is a monster destroying the world, that's just fun, I don't give a sh... about people who may be dead, or that Kyon will be removed from his loved one, I'm the center of the universe and if it please me nothing else is relevant").

Well, to sum it up, she show would be much better if she had more character development, making her less despicable. As it is now, it's a good show of awesome technical quality, but severely hampered by the downright repulsive titled character.
Old 2009-01-01, 11:40   Link #285
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

You will have to take back your words if Season 2 ever comes though , about her incapable of those characteristics you mentioned.

Well I'll not talk too much about why she's like that, because at this point, which I assume you have only watched the anime itself, won't be able to understand much.

For example:
Quote:
Making her having "pet the dog" moment (like the music band, which felt completely out of character in the context of the anime because of that)
You think her personality changed out of the blue, she suddenly became, not herself. You think its out of character because you don't know that this is 7 months after episode 2, she actually had character development in that 7 months.

The anime is only a tiny bit of what is contained in the 9 volumes of novels. The anime is actually centered on volume 1, with 9 more episodes from other volumes, plus one original story written for the anime, episode 9. Episode 9 to us novel readers is also special because of a couple of things other than showing that Haruhi is softer towards Kyon now, and by timeline this took place directly after the the band episode.

There's simply too much to try to explain to you, those who watched the anime while it aired and discussing it weekly on this forum have found that this anime is deeper than one can understand on his own. I encourage you to read all the episode discussion threads to further understand the anime. Also rewatch the show in its 'correct chronological order', episodes 2, 3, 5, 10, 13, 14, 4, 7, 6, 8, 1, 12, 11, 9.

And since you would probably avoid spoilers and also not very likely to read the novels, I can only tell you to look forward to Season 2 and see how much more there is to each of the characters. The anime is merely the tip of the iceberg, the rest of the story is much crazier than what you have seen.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
Old 2009-01-01, 14:01   Link #286
Guernsey
The GAP Man

Send a message via AIM to Guernsey Send a message via MSN to Guernsey Send a message via Yahoo to Guernsey
You should probably read the light novels as well and I got to reread the light novels myself. Haruhi made start off as a jerk and a bully but she is actually a nice person on the inside who is full of confidence and knows exactly what she wants. She may have her flaws abd weaknesses but nobody is perfect (is there any such thing as perfect) and she is only human after all (well, she is what most people call a Goddess but I don't really think so.)
Old 2009-01-01, 14:30   Link #287
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Quote:
'correct chronological order', episodes 2, 3, 5, 10, 13, 14, 4, 7, 6, 8, 1, 12, 11, 9.
If you want to see things as they progress in terms of time and character development, this is the order you should watch.

If you want the plot the be lively thoughout the series, watch in the original order of 1-14. Either way works, depending on what you want out of the series.
Old 2009-01-01, 14:59   Link #288
Sute443
Sasaki-ist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akka View Post
She's immature, totally incapable of empathy and capricious to the point of being, frankly, evil (or at least very seriously mentally ill - a very real case of sociopathy).
You know, I've made pretty much that same argument (after reading all of the novels, too, so the people saying to read the novels...)

I don't expect Season 2 to show off Haruhi's good aspects. Not unless it includes material from Volume 8. Her actions in Volume 4 are just too heavy on the tsuntsun side for me to appreciate the deredere that she displays.
Old 2009-01-01, 15:04   Link #289
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sute443 View Post
You know, I've made pretty much that same argument (after reading all of the novels, too, so the people saying to read the novels...)

I don't expect Season 2 to show off Haruhi's good aspects. Not unless it includes material from Volume 8. Her actions in Volume 4 are just too heavy on the tsuntsun side for me to appreciate the deredere that she displays.
I guess the whole thing after 18th December must have shown that Haruhi just likes camping then.

Old 2009-01-01, 15:19   Link #290
Akka

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
You will have to take back your words if Season 2 ever comes though , about her incapable of those characteristics you mentioned.
Regretfully, it will comes (which means at least one more season where the possible FMP sequel will be pushed back T_T).
Quote:
Well I'll not talk too much about why she's like that, because at this point, which I assume you have only watched the anime itself, won't be able to understand much.

For example:You think her personality changed out of the blue, she suddenly became, not herself. You think its out of character because you don't know that this is 7 months after episode 2, she actually had character development in that 7 months.
That's why I said "in the context of the anime".
It's totally understandable that she could have had lots of character development during this time, and I suppose it was clear in the light novels.
But the problem is, if you're just watching the anime, you only see a unbearable and criminally selfish brat having a sudden "let's be nice for no reason" moment. As such, her behaviour in this one is completely disconnected from the rest of the show.
Quote:
The anime is only a tiny bit of what is contained in the 9 volumes of novels. The anime is actually centered on volume 1, with 9 more episodes from other volumes, plus one original story written for the anime, episode 9. Episode 9 to us novel readers is also special because of a couple of things other than showing that Haruhi is softer towards Kyon now, and by timeline this took place directly after the the band episode.

There's simply too much to try to explain to you, those who watched the anime while it aired and discussing it weekly on this forum have found that this anime is deeper than one can understand on his own. I encourage you to read all the episode discussion threads to further understand the anime. Also rewatch the show in its 'correct chronological order', episodes 2, 3, 5, 10, 13, 14, 4, 7, 6, 8, 1, 12, 11, 9.

And since you would probably avoid spoilers and also not very likely to read the novels, I can only tell you to look forward to Season 2 and see how much more there is to each of the characters. The anime is merely the tip of the iceberg, the rest of the story is much crazier than what you have seen.
Well, if I sum it up, it is : "you'll see later, there is better things still unveiled that are coming".
It's something I'm perfectly able and ready to believe. But as for the first season, Haruhi still is a quite good show, but Haruhi the character is still repulsive, and making the serie frustrating all by herself. Because each time she appears or speak, my only wish is to reach her through the screen, smack her against a brick wall, and then go on a slap-punctuated precise explanation about why she's insufferable, stupid and explain her some points.

As I can't, the serie just build up frustration while I'm watching it.
If it could be discharged by some long-awaited comeuppance/karmic backlash/some horrible event/whatever that would leave her sobbing and crying and realizing at last how horrible she is, well then I would finally be able to relate and sympathize with her.
But sadly, it seems it will never happen, and I'm left cringing about her ^^
Old 2009-01-01, 15:34   Link #291
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Well most people just give up the show because of Haruhi herself, but you liked it even when you hate her that much, which is great lol

But its a preference thing and you may not believe it, as its not your taste, but Haruhi is extremely popular for her performance in the anime lol

She's an extremely dynamic character and people love her for that.

And Haruhi actually gets sympathy from some of us, people around her are her victims, yes. But she's also a victim of herself, because she doesn't know what she's capable of. And people who knows what she's capable of, allows her to do what she wants and only keeping it safe by coaxing and giving in to her.

She was never like that until she met Kyon and the SOS-dan, she was only a weird, unfriendly girl who never liked to talk to anyone. She was only this dynamic when SOS-dan was formed. We used to say Haruhi is the nuclear reactor and SOS-dan is the team of engineers to keep it running but not exploding. They have to make sure she is always that dynamic but never too dynamic that she explodes.

If she's a normal girl, people would have went against her and cause her to change for the 'better'. But she's not, and the SOS-dan is there to keep her happy all the time, to keep her dynamic.

So there she is, hanging out with a bunch of supernatural beings including herself, but she can never get to know it. She is living in her own dream, in all meanings of the phrase, but a totally meaningless dream that she can't wake up from. People won't let her wake up.

Hmmm, I think its best if you or anyone just read the rest of this subforum lol, there's too much to talk about in a single post.

Old 2009-01-01, 16:09   Link #292
Sute443
Sasaki-ist

Quote:
I guess the whole thing after 18th December must have shown that Haruhi just likes camping then.
I did mention deredere, didn't I?

Spoiler for Spoilered for the sake of those who haven't read the novels:
Old 2009-01-01, 21:33   Link #293
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Okay, let's not do this shit again.

a) Haruhi is a bitch.

b) She gets better.

END OF STORY.
Old 2009-01-02, 02:23   Link #294
Guernsey
The GAP Man

Send a message via AIM to Guernsey Send a message via MSN to Guernsey Send a message via Yahoo to Guernsey
Quote:
Well most people just give up the show because of Haruhi herself, but you liked it even when you hate her that much, which is great lol

But its a preference thing and you may not believe it, as its not your taste, but Haruhi is extremely popular for her performance in the anime lol

She's an extremely dynamic character and people love her for that.

And Haruhi actually gets sympathy from some of us, people around her are her victims, yes. But she's also a victim of herself, because she doesn't know what she's capable of. And people who knows what she's capable of, allows her to do what she wants and only keeping it safe by coaxing and giving in to her.

She was never like that until she met Kyon and the SOS-dan, she was only a weird, unfriendly girl who never liked to talk to anyone. She was only this dynamic when SOS-dan was formed. We used to say Haruhi is the nuclear reactor and SOS-dan is the team of engineers to keep it running but not exploding. They have to make sure she is always that dynamic but never too dynamic that she explodes.

If she's a normal girl, people would have went against her and cause her to change for the 'better'. But she's not, and the SOS-dan is there to keep her happy all the time, to keep her dynamic.

So there she is, hanging out with a bunch of supernatural beings including herself, but she can never get to know it. She is living in her own dream, in all meanings of the phrase, but a totally meaningless dream that she can't wake up from. People won't let her wake up.

Hmmm, I think its best if you or anyone just read the rest of this subforum lol, there's too much to talk about in a single post.
Which forum are you referring to?
Old 2009-01-02, 07:24   Link #295
Akka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Okay, let's not do this shit again.

a) Haruhi is a bitch.

b) She gets better.

END OF STORY.
Well, you may wish to re-read the subject of the thread, then.
Old 2009-01-02, 08:37   Link #296
Aza-oniichan
~Blazing Red Eye~
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aza-oniichan
The impression of haruhi is spreaded across all the world, there no cosplay / anime event without haruhi. Search youtube or google about hare hare yukai throughout the world
Old 2009-01-02, 15:32   Link #297
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akka View Post
Well, you may wish to re-read the subject of the thread, then.
There are pages and pages of arguments like this all over the damned internet. It's time we put a stop to it and talked about something MORE POSITIVE.
Old 2009-01-02, 16:09   Link #298
Akka

Quote:
There are pages and pages of arguments like this all over the damned internet. It's time we put a stop to it and talked about something MORE POSITIVE.
Well, I may have to spell it for you then : the point of the thread is to tell one's opinions about the show. Haruhi's character being not only part of the show, but arguably one of the main points, it's perfectly relevant to the subject.

If you don't want to hear about it, why do you read a thread where it is a good part of the subject ? Makes as much sense as going into a manga store and complaining that there is too much japanese books in it.

And as a side note : opinions about a show aren't only positive. Get over it.
Old 2009-01-02, 16:26   Link #299
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

This argument would be relevant, had it not been argued dozens and dozens of times on this board before. And not just here.

No consensus has ever been reached, therefore there's little point in arguing about something that no one is ever going to agree on.

And no, opinions don't have to be positive. Problem is that they never are, especially on the Internet.

It's fine to talk about things about Haruhi here. Just not anything about the character's morality and questionable actions, PLEASE.
Old 2009-01-03, 08:03   Link #300
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Quote:
This argument would be relevant, had it not been argued dozens and dozens of times on this board before. And not just here.

No consensus has ever been reached, therefore there's little point in arguing about something that no one is ever going to agree on.

And no, opinions don't have to be positive. Problem is that they never are, especially on the Internet.

It's fine to talk about things about Haruhi here. Just not anything about the character's morality and questionable actions, PLEASE.
You have the right to disagree, but please, unless the person was vitriolic in their manner of posting, they damn well have the right to post their own opinions. Last I read, this thread is for people to post their thoughts and impressions.

You want a thread that only gushes about the first season of Haruhi? Go make a petition in the request thread.

Finally, not all people have read the novels, so expecting them to review the series from our perspectives is inherently unfair and unreasonable. You can recommend them to read further, but don't just dismiss them.

You don't promote a series by heckling newcomers.

Cheers.