AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > To Aru Majutsu no Index

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-11-25, 14:26   Link #1
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

To Aru Majutsu no Index - Character Discussion - Kamijo Touma

The purpose of this thread is to provide a place to discuss all things Kamijo Touma related.
To keep the discussion enjoyable for all To Aru Majutsu no Index fans, please follow the guidelines below and stay on-topic!
Note: Please don't use this for the specifics (i.e. episode, chapter, game, etc. discussion) there are other threads for that stuff.
Thread Guidelines
  • No campaigning!
    No "hate" or "xyz must die" posts. Discuss why you do or don't like characters without whining and whining or blatantly campaigning for your favourite.

• Be polite to your fellow forum members.
    Do not insult or harass other members for their likes and dislikes. Do not take it so seriously that you end up in an argument with another forum member because they express a fondness for a character you loathe. Discussion and good spirited banter are always welcome, but harassing people will not be tolerated.

• Discuss, don't chat.
    Please remember that AnimeSuki is a discussion forum, not a chat room, there is a difference. If you wish to chat, then please make use of our IRC channel.

• Have fun, but post intelligently.
    It's great to have fun, but please try your best to add substance to what you post and make your thoughts interesting for the generation of fans that will follow after you’re long gone and on to watching some other series.

• Use Spoiler tags!
    Spoilers are allowed, but they must be enclosed in spoiler tags clearly marked with a proper title. Failure to do this can result in a BAN.

• Adding a Spoiler tag:
      Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms. Make sure that you include a title for the spoiler!

• Please use the Report button if you see any spoilers:
      Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar. Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators to locate and deal with problems quickly.

• Posting prohibited spoilers may result in a ban.
      Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly. The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.

Last edited by NightWish; 2008-11-29 at 21:52.
Old 2008-11-29, 08:24   Link #2
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

I was severely let down by the Anime's adaptation of Touma in the first Arc, several key scenes in the story that involves him had been downplayed- Most important of them had been in episode six, the climax of the story.

I know we're not suppose to be comparing different adaptations, but if one version is clearly better than the other, I won't hesitate to use it.

Nevertheless, I'm a man of second chances, and things have been shaping up quite nicely for Touma in this second arc. Hopefully, this would continue down the road.
Old 2008-11-29, 17:14   Link #3
KaneDragon
*(RAWR*)&rawr

i think Touma's a pretty cool guy, eh cancels magic and doesnt afraid of anything

He punches out Styl more than once for being a jerk, and seems to be taking all the absurd events around him rather well. Plus, he takes care of a pudding-stealing loli. Touma's feeling of disconnect with the Touma of before and his interactions with those who knew him are interesting.

Agreed about how the anime is downplaying his character a bit, though I only have the manga to compare it to.
Old 2008-11-29, 21:37   Link #4
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Mr. Hero of Justice-wannabe Kamijo Touma

Thanks to the anime, my impression of him has severely worsened...
I actually thought he was cool (to an extent) in the novel/manga, but now...

Well, in the end and for the truth, Touma has no value, his right hand does. He doesn't do anything, his right hand has to do the hard work. Good job, right hand...

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
Old 2008-11-30, 10:16   Link #5
Spring_sakura111
Kanashimi o mukou eto~!

I don't find him interesting. I was only fascinated by him when the first two episodes appeared. Now , I feel neutral.
Old 2008-11-30, 15:45   Link #6
Malintex_Terek
Mahjong Triple Pro

Best Gar all year. Even if the character is significantly better in the novels (aren't they always?) he still stands out as refreshingly original and interesting.

I'm watching this show for him, not for Index, who should be walled up in a monastery somewhere.
Old 2008-12-15, 12:43   Link #7
kingsky123
Higurashi fan.

when he touches a clone, does he revert it to nothing ?
Old 2008-12-15, 12:52   Link #8
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsky123 View Post
when he touches a clone, does he revert it to nothing ?
Why? A clone isn't created by any power. It was created by science or whatever technology.

-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
Old 2008-12-15, 14:14   Link #9
kingsky123
Higurashi fan.

bah, i do not understand how his hand works at all =/
Old 2008-12-15, 14:33   Link #10
typhonsentra

I find his speeches and judgment of others pretty annoying but he's pretty solid when he's not doing these things. Basically anything between him and Index is gold.
Old 2008-12-15, 21:13   Link #11
Malintex_Terek
Mahjong Triple Pro

Quote:
bah, i do not understand how his hand works at all =/
I was a bit confused as well, but think of it this way. When Misaka's room-mate was going to teleport Touma, if she couldn't teleport the hand it would have been left behind - quite the bloody mess that would have been. So for some reason the hand wouldn't let her move the rest of him.
Old 2008-12-16, 02:05   Link #12
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malintex_Terek View Post
I was a bit confused as well, but think of it this way. When Misaka's room-mate was going to teleport Touma, if she couldn't teleport the hand it would have been left behind - quite the bloody mess that would have been. So for some reason the hand wouldn't let her move the rest of him.
Reason - Convenience. AKA, the author screwed up again. She needed some plot device to get Touma under the bed, where another plot device called the Super Explanation Bear is waiting to explain everything he needs.

Old 2008-12-16, 04:50   Link #13
djmaca
My Girl ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
Reason - Convenience. AKA, the author screwed up again. She needed some plot device to get Touma under the bed, where another plot device called the Super Explanation Bear is waiting to explain everything he needs.
Or maybe because that since "teleport" is aimed at the whole body, then it won't take effect... If it is aimed at his clothes only, then it might work....
Old 2008-12-16, 10:43   Link #14
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaca View Post
Or maybe because that since "teleport" is aimed at the whole body, then it won't take effect... If it is aimed at his clothes only, then it might work....
His whole body? Either way. His hand negates any supernatural ability that hits it, so when the teleport was used, it would have negated the teleport on it, but the rest of the body should have zoomed in a bloody mess to neverland.

Old 2008-12-16, 11:21   Link #15
KaneDragon
*(RAWR*)&rawr

Quote:
His whole body? Either way. His hand negates any supernatural ability that hits it, so when the teleport was used, it would have negated the teleport on it, but the rest of the body should have zoomed in a bloody mess to neverland.
Meh, there's enough leeway from having such a fantastic power to account for this, if you want.

SELECT * FROM Person WHERE Name == 'Touma';
System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: SELECT permission denied on object 'right_hand', person 'Touma'

And then the whole darn "select Touma" query fails, so nothing happens.
Old 2008-12-16, 12:50   Link #16
kingsky123
Higurashi fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malintex_Terek View Post
huh? then how did the hand severing work on episode 9?
Old 2008-12-16, 12:57   Link #17
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
huh? then how did the hand severing work on episode 9?
With the wimp alchemist? His weapon didn't hit his hand, but went right through his shoulder and slashed it right off.

Old 2008-12-16, 15:46   Link #18
kaizerknight01
Extra Superior Otaku

Should he fight accelerator He should use his Imagine breaker like this ..........

My right hand raging with angrer!!! Its yelling out to defeat you!!! for pain and sorrow that did to Mikoto!!! Negating!!!!! Imagineeeeeeee BREAKERRRRRRR!!!!!! ( G Gundam parody)

hit accelerator in the face

kinda like this in picture

Old 2008-12-16, 18:47   Link #19
Malintex_Terek
Mahjong Triple Pro

Quote:
With the wimp alchemist? His weapon didn't hit his hand, but went right through his shoulder and slashed it right off.
I think the question is because in the anime, Misaka's room-mate (who I can't remember) touched Touma's chest and tried to teleport him, but it failed. Touma suggested it was due to his hand but that really doesn't make sense given what we've seen before...perhaps something else was interfering?
Old 2008-12-16, 20:34   Link #20
djmaca
My Girl ↓

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneDragon View Post
Meh, there's enough leeway from having such a fantastic power to account for this, if you want.

SELECT * FROM Person WHERE Name == 'Touma';
System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: SELECT permission denied on object 'right_hand', person 'Touma'

And then the whole darn "select Touma" query fails, so nothing happens.
Dude SQL!

VB (or something like that...):
Spoiler for size:

well everything's not perfect... and so is his hand...

Last edited by djmaca; 2008-12-16 at 20:41. Reason: colors
Closed Thread