AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2009-09-19, 00:56   Link #281
Alchemist007
*Author

Saw it at my college anime club a few hours ago. Thoroughly enjoyed it despite some inconsistencies/random things.
Old 2009-09-28, 00:25   Link #282
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

I just rewatched the movie recently. It is possibly one of the most complete movies I have ever watched (Especially of those like anime). The movie was even better for me on the 2nd time than the first.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-30, 23:00   Link #283
deltaxxmintpie
Cake lover Cookie ninja

just finished watching it

Loved every single second of it - the emotion, characters, plot that kept me guessing, turns and twist that had me literally muttering "ah that's how it is". The humour is very well put, visuals are simply beautiful, I became attached to the characters 10mins into the movie.

HOWEVER, the ending......I was speechless at the end. Never in my life have I felt so unsatisfied. "KISS damn it! Screw your future the girl is more important!" - that was what going through in my mind near the ending.

I never really understood the value of fanfic before watching that film.

Ah well I guess it was a good reality check, however I would have prefer a happy ending even if it meant it would have gone off track from becoming an anime masterpiece.

It was a masterpiece.
Old 2009-10-31, 17:38   Link #284
Samatarou
Son of God
*Artist

I agree, it's a film which grabs you and doesn't let go for a moment. When watching a film at the cinema it's often an immersive experience, but this is the only film that did the same thing for me sitting at home watching the fansub on my computer.

There's a lot of clever misdirection, clues are thrown out and then immediately covered up before we twig them, this makes rewatching the film a great experience, spotting the clues hiding in plain sight. Like Chiaki's true identity. He hesitantly wants to ask Makoto a question. We know what he's going to ask, and so does she. He's going to ask her to go out with him, like he did in an earlier scene. But then: "Are you time leaping?" WTF? Here like at every point in the film we are virtually in Makoto's shoes, feeling what she feels, thinking what she thinks. The implications of what he says should be obvious, but her instant panicked time leap prevents mmediate analysis and before we can mull the matter over, Kousuke sails past on the bike and we're off on a new tack, so that when Chiaki turns up shortly after and his true identity is revealed it comes as a surprise despite the obvious implication of his earlier question about time leaping.

Looking back over it, I feel we were in the hands of a master story teller who knew exactly what to tell us and when to tell it. Everything had an immediacy that left no real time for reflection, we were always alongside Makoto sharing her experiences and, like her, unable to spot what was coming.

Close this thread, Open the nexT
Samatarou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-10, 21:24   Link #285
cdkobasiuk
Mommy on a Bender

This movie took me by surprise and just blew me away. It's been quite some time since I bawled like a baby while watching anything. Everything from the animation to the plot and characters and music was spectacular.

cdk
cdkobasiuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-11, 16:27   Link #286
Poetic Justice
100Shots100Hits LuluLaLu

Amazing film, The characters and emotions were well thought out and explored. Most of the plot was unpredictable and satisfactory.

Does anyone think the clouds at the end were the shape of the painting or was that just me.
Poetic Justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-13, 12:27   Link #287
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Those of you who are big fans might be interested in knowing there's a theatrical screening in SF this month, at the Viz Cinema in Japantown...
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-16, 13:13   Link #288
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

It is definitely a film that survives repeated viewings very well.
Old 2009-12-19, 01:17   Link #289
sakurafice

yeah, this movie is great ^^
sakurafice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-22, 14:59   Link #290
konart

Live-action trailer

Quote:
The Yahoo! Movies Japan website is streaming streaming a two-minute trailer for Masaaki Taniguchi's live-action film reimagining of Yasutaka Tsutsui's The Girl Who Leapt Through Time novel . Riisa Naka, the actress who made her film debut as the lead voice of Mamoru Hosoda's 2006 award-winning anime film version of the same novel, stars as a different character in the new film. In the 2010 film, she plays 18-year-old Akari Yoshiyama, the only daughter of the novel's heroine Kazuko. After a car accident puts Kazuko in a coma, Akari leaps back to the year 1974 to find Kazuko's first love. The film is slated to open in Japan next March.
via ANN
Old 2009-12-25, 19:02   Link #291
Poetic Justice
100Shots100Hits LuluLaLu

^^Ugh the plot sounds so stupid, Way to milk a franchise i guess.
Poetic Justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-25, 21:08   Link #292
Theowne
耳をすませば

This movie was incredibly gripping right up until that scene where the main character's friend is about to be killed because of her playing around with time. I thought the tension that the story had built up right there was fantastic, and I waited with bated breath as that scene unfolded....and then we got the whole thing about there being another time traveler, about her friend being from the future, and somehow that second part of the story just never worked for me. I was left wishing that the tone of the first half could have kept going.

Anyone else feel this way or is it just me?

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-24, 12:08   Link #293
Samatarou
Son of God
*Artist

Actually I really liked that plot twist, it was so unexpected.

Close this thread, Open the nexT
Samatarou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-06, 22:09   Link #294
goutamania

Umm... if i may, over all these pages of this thread when this particular movie's conclusion happened to be discussed and debated for fans' need for closure, which summed up meant --
Spoiler:
...has none of you mentioned as proof of Makoto's closing resolve's sake, the conclusion to the manga accompanying the anime and particularly this page:
http://www.mangafox.com/manga/toki_w...c000.2/50.html?

In sum, does it (not) show that
Spoiler:

Is that desperation behind the becalmed, exuberant face when the following line runs by the skies' facade?
Spoiler:
Enforces the realization in you that if Time will not be her steed to get to him, Death will, does it not?

And yes, this state of affairs has had so many other noteworthy precedents in the history of fiction.

Last edited by goutamania; 2010-02-06 at 22:42. Reason: for more clarity
goutamania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-01, 20:58   Link #295
Yukinokesshou
ドジ

Goutamania, maybe what you intend to say has a point, but it's just not getting across to me.

Excuse my triviality... but after sitting through so many screen hours of tsundere, yandere, yamato nadeshiko girls and all the other boring anime tropes you can think of... don't you think that at the end of the day, it's a whole lot more fun to hang out with girls like Makoto?

(Or for that matter, Tsukishima Shizuku, the girl in Theowne's sig, from Whisper of the Heart. She's a bit too young though!)
Yukinokesshou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-09, 22:36   Link #296
creamyhorror

Why the bombast, gouta? And yes, I think we know they won't meet in life.
creamyhorror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-07, 00:05   Link #297
Akeii
Djungarian Hamster

Excellent movie with good artwork and most importantly, plot -

Wait, wait... one thing. How on earth can Makoto run towards a distant future without dying of old age, or at best becoming a hunch-backed granny? So yeah, of course she'll die.

Or what is "the future?" Does Chiaki go forward, recharge his two-digit tattoo, and jump back into a "past" slightly ahead of Makoto (i.e. Makoto's future?) Somehow that sounds a bit too much like wishful thinking.

Still, we only have two options:

(1) Makoto turns into an old granny and/or dies, or
(2) Chiaki comes back before that happens.

Makoto's statement of running towards the future would mean she's happy about either option (1) or (2). But she was just crying over (1), wasn't she? Wouldn't it seem weird to be comforted if something you were just crying over was confirmed? If (1) was confirmed with the additional knowledge that Chiaki liked Makoto, I would think she would've cried even harder - though of course it's hard to analyze the character's psychology beyond this point. I can safely say, though, that (1) can be somewhat possible if she felt better just by the fact that Chiaki liked her, but (2) is more likely to be supported under the conditions that this was not the case.

Anyhow, Chiaki's self-imposed exile for the sake of "not allowing others to know" is moot since Makoto knows anyways. Either way, if Chiaki only stays in the future without coming back, that would mean he's a complete idiot. And I hate anime couples where the guy is an idiot, and I refuse to believe that this awesome anime has an idiot for a supporting character, so there. A happy ending in my mind. xD

Last edited by Akeii; 2010-04-07 at 00:32.
Akeii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-09, 13:51   Link #298
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akeii View Post
Anyhow, Chiaki's self-imposed exile for the sake of "not allowing others to know" is moot since Makoto knows anyways.
I figured it was more the case, of preventing anymore screw ups from occurring.

Anyway, I just saw this film now and it was awesome. Easily one of my favourites.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote