AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > K-On!

Notices

Old 2010-10-19, 19:20   Link #1201
LightMusicBand
To the salt mines

Quote:
Originally Posted by AznAndy94 View Post
It all depends on which song. Obviously, songs sung by Aki Toyosaki sound a lot lower on GTP but songs from Yoko Hikasa, or Asami Sanada sound perfect octave wise. Even if it sounds a little off, you can change the tuning of the guitar parts to Octave up so it's E4-E6 instead of E3-E5.

so, please explain it to me, uhm, so the songs are one octave down in guitar pro only,
but when you play the tabs in a normal guitar with normal tuning, it would sound fine?

is that it?

btw, i will try the view>hide method. if it doesn't work, i'll probably take a screenshot.

thanks
Old 2010-10-19, 21:06   Link #1202
Bolt237

Quote:
I was actually working on Go Go Maniac in between song tabbing. I have all the way up to the solo. If you want to, I'll send you what I have and I'll start on the requested list.

It all depends on which song. Obviously, songs sung by Aki Toyosaki sound a lot lower on GTP but songs from Yoko Hikasa, or Asami Sanada sound perfect octave wise. Even if it sounds a little off, you can change the tuning of the guitar parts to Octave up so it's E4-E6 instead of E3-E5.
Well I'm doing Utauyo, and I'm not planning to do a whole lot after that, so I suppose you should go finish it
Does that mean you do all the parts at the same time?

Changing the tuning, GENIUS
why didn't I ever think of that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightMusicBand View Post
so, please explain it to me, uhm, so the songs are one octave down in guitar pro only,
but when you play the tabs in a normal guitar with normal tuning, it would sound fine?

is that it?

btw, i will try the view>hide method. if it doesn't work, i'll probably take a screenshot.

thanks
I think it's that, compared to other instruments, if you play something on a guitar, it will be an octave lower than on, say, a piano or a horn. It's just the way it's written.
Bolt237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-20, 04:01   Link #1203
LightMusicBand
To the salt mines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolt237 View Post
I think it's that, compared to other instruments, if you play something on a guitar, it will be an octave lower than on, say, a piano or a horn. It's just the way it's written.
oh, so i don't have to tune my guitar an octave higher when i play based on the tabs from guitar pro? right? (i seem to know very few about music stuff)

oh wait before i forget, i wish to add/edit the list of request:

1. guitar ni kubittake (to start me off the right track)
2. heart goes boom
3. tsubasa wo kudasai
4. Girly storm shisshou stick (i forgot about this)
5. is there any other song left from the first book, or how bout other character image songs (mokujise, hummingbird, hello little girl, sunday siesta, i don't even think that the latter 2 have any guitar part in it though)

but it's worth a try.

thanks.
Old 2010-10-21, 04:55   Link #1204
Rakkasei

I have Tsubasa wa Kudasai! :O
Rakkasei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-21, 04:55   Link #1205
deng17
Sylpheed

Send a message via Yahoo to deng17
Is there an official tab for My Love is a Stapler? Including the 2 guitars? The current tab in ultimate guitar is somewhat different from the original.
deng17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-21, 20:37   Link #1206
LightMusicBand
To the salt mines

eh, hello guys.

the thing with my guitar pro not displaying the numbered tabs, i just can't solve it. here's the screenshot

Spoiler for screenshot:

could someone help me fix this. it's really hard to not know the numbered tabs, specially when it comes to muted notes.

thanks
Old 2010-10-21, 21:12   Link #1207
Kragma

Send a message via ICQ to Kragma Send a message via AIM to Kragma
Fuwa Fuwa Time was in the news recently. http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/wash...ss-player.html

In light of that incident, I did my own cover.

Old 2010-10-21, 21:55   Link #1208
bloppyblue
SLEEP IS FOR THE WEAK!!!

Quote:
eh, hello guys.

the thing with my guitar pro not displaying the numbered tabs, i just can't solve it. here's the screenshot

Spoiler for screenshot:

could someone help me fix this. it's really hard to not know the numbered tabs, specially when it comes to muted notes.

thanks
Ugh, I tried and I couldn't figure out what's going on... Have you tried posting over at the ultimate-guitar forums?? They'll be able to help for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kragma View Post
In light of that incident, I did my own cover.

Wow, you're good... Man, K-ON fan musicians like you both intimidate and encourage me in learning K-ON songs!
bloppyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-22, 03:20   Link #1209
LightMusicBand
To the salt mines

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloppyblue View Post
Ugh, I tried and I couldn't figure out what's going on... Have you tried posting over at the ultimate-guitar forums?? They'll be able to help for sure.
so it shouldn't be like that? that's why i am having a hard time...

unfortunately, i don't have an ultimate guitar account, so i can't publish it there. i will try to search the net for some info.

@Rakkasei: is it the official, or the one from ultimate guitar?
@Kragma: now that's a really funny news. and oh yeah, great bass cover.

Spoiler for Helpp...:
Old 2010-10-22, 14:46   Link #1210
alucard13mm

my friend says its lame that im getting an instrument to play k-on songs >.< i told him, well your... your... lame! lol. im getting a bass today. i hope it gets delivered on time

Last edited by alucard13mm; 2010-10-22 at 15:00.
alucard13mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-22, 16:55   Link #1211
bloppyblue
SLEEP IS FOR THE WEAK!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alucard13mm View Post
my friend says its lame that im getting an instrument to play k-on songs >.< i told him, well your... your... lame! lol. im getting a bass today. i hope it gets delivered on time
It won't be lame when in a year, you'll be rocking your socks off!!
Old 2010-10-22, 18:56   Link #1212
Kragma

Send a message via ICQ to Kragma Send a message via AIM to Kragma
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloppyblue View Post
It won't be lame when in a year, you'll be rocking your socks off!!
I haven't even been playing a year yet :3

I probably got more incredulous comments for suddenly being really really into playing the bass and very quickly owning three of them than any connection to K-On.

It's not an instrument people think of someone choosing as a hobby.
Old 2010-10-22, 21:01   Link #1213
alucard13mm

im sadden that it wasnt delivered on time T_T fedex tracker lied to me!

i just think its silly that people would say something is lame.. people like to wear jersey's of their sports team and stick the team flag on the car.. i think thats lame. and they probably think my hobbies are lame. in other words, opinions dont matter ^_^.. everything is lame.
Old 2010-10-22, 22:49   Link #1214
Bananoha
♨(ゝω・)v

Quote:
1. guitar ni kubittake (to start me off the right track)
2. heart goes boom
3. tsubasa wo kudasai
4. Girly storm shisshou stick (i forgot about this)
5. is there any other song left from the first book, or how bout other character image songs (mokujise, hummingbird, hello little girl, sunday siesta, i don't even think that the latter 2 have any guitar part in it though)
Unless someone else scanned and uploaded, I don't think Fudepen ~Ballpen~ (Live 4 person ver.) and Watashi no Koi wa Hocchikisu (5 person ver.) are finished from the first book.

If you guys are okay with this, I'll try to scan and clean a good chunk of these, upload them and send those willing people the URL to the folder. From there, you can all split it amongst yourselves on who will do what. I've been busy on my end, but I should be free all of Sunday to try and do this. (・ε・)ノ

And if I'm missing a page again, you have to catch me by Oct 26 22:00 EST since I'm gone gone the next ten days. Or find someone else with the book. ゚ヽ(*´∀`)ノ
Quote:
Originally Posted by alucard13mm View Post
in other words, opinions dont matter ^_^.. everything is lame.
And that's your opinon.... ( >∀<)ノノ"☆パチパチパチパチ

And it's been said time and time again. Everyone needs that push to learn something, so K-On being your push to learn an instrument isn't a big deal. ( ¯3¯)y-~

…少し…頭冷やそうか…?
Bananoha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-23, 01:13   Link #1215
CadetPD

Quote:
-P.S. Since guitar tabs are played an octave down, I realized that all the vocal and keyboard parts will sound an octave lower than they're supposed to be

-It all depends on which song. Obviously, songs sung by Aki Toyosaki sound a lot lower on GTP but songs from Yoko Hikasa, or Asami Sanada sound perfect octave wise. Even if it sounds a little off, you can change the tuning of the guitar parts to Octave up so it's E4-E6 instead of E3-E5.

-so, please explain it to me, uhm, so the songs are one octave down in guitar pro only,

is that it?

-I think it's that, compared to other instruments, if you play something on a guitar, it will be an octave lower than on, say, a piano or a horn. It's just the way it's written.

Ok...I'm not trying to be an ass or anything...but...

The only reason anything would sound an octave lower or higher is if the person who tabbed it didn't tab it right. You have an entire 88 key keyboard to work with as far as range, and I think you'll be extremely hard pressed to find a song that for some reason goes beyond that range.

It's simply untrue that guitar tabs are played an octave "down". That doesn't even mean anything or make sense.

The K-On songs are pretty much all in standard tuning, and we should all be as well, along with the tabs.

For example a C power chord written out

|---|
|---|
|-5-|
|-5-|
|-3-|
|---|

or

|-----|
|-----|
|-----|
|-10-|
|-10-|
|-8--|

The notes for both these shapes are C3, G3 and C4. If a K-On song uses a C power chord. It's gonna be this chord. Those notes, same pitch/octave. If you write it out in GP, its going to be those notes. The same pitch/octave. You can play this same chord on a piano. Same notes, same pitch/octave.

I think maybe you guys are getting your wording confused or something.

It's not that a guitar plays notes "lower" than a piano. It just has a different range.

The basic 24 fret guitar goes from E2 to E6, which is a pretty big range.
A violin can go from G3 to E7
A piano has a range from A0 to A8. Meaning with a piano you can encompass all the notes a guitar can play.

If you tell someone to play a C chord, and they are a piano player, they could play a C in 7 different octaves.

However, since we are all discussing guitar, when you simply say C to a guitarist. 9 times out of ten, its C3, G3, C4, E4.

With other chords, like just say.. E for example. Standard tuning allows for you to play an E

|-0-|
|-0-|
|-1-|
|-2-|
|-2-|
|-0-|

OR

|-7-|
|-9-|
|-9-|
|-9-|
|-7-|
|---|

One beginning in E2, the other E3.
If a song calls for E, (and plenty of K-On songs seem to be in the key of E) you can technically play either one and it'll work.
However, listening to the song you can easily tell which one it is.

So to recap, unless someone screwed up in tabbing.
Every has tab has little choice but to be correct when it comes to being in the right octave.

Now if we're talking about just the vocal melody, then someone could easily screw that up and put it in the wrong octave. Especially since there are harmonies and multiple vocal tracks in the actual song.
However, since you have a full piano range in GuitarPro there is no reason they shouldn't be the right pitch/octave. Especially the keyboard parts.

Last edited by CadetPD; 2010-10-23 at 01:23.
CadetPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-23, 02:01   Link #1216
AznAndy94
The Unknown Artist

Send a message via MSN to AznAndy94 Send a message via Yahoo to AznAndy94
Spoiler for Save Space:

No, we're not talking about the chord octaves but the actual tuning to reach the octaves is what we're talking about. Because Guitar Pro can only go as high a standard 24-30 fret guitar, the highest possible note you can play is an A#7 and as you said before the highest on a piano is A8 making it a 11 semi-tone difference.

In anycase, the official scores only tell what notes are being played, (i.e. C Chord - C E G) but not what octave they are played at. Dear My Keys is a good example because the written official score has it written as just the chords and individual notes. Therefore, the person tabbing the songs would also have to change the tuning of the guitar to match the octave pitch being played from the original song (Instead of C3 E3 G3 turns into C4 E4 G4 but the score says to play C E G).
AznAndy94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-23, 03:13   Link #1217
CadetPD

Right, so all the person has to do is sit down and listen to the song and then match the pitch, which isn't difficult. But like I was saying for guitar, it's not like there's much mystery as to what octave the chord or note is going to be in.

If the band score says play an E chord on the guitar. It could really only be one of 2 things unless otherwise specified that there is a super specific voicing (but thats very rare for K-On since its mostly power chords)

It's not as if its up for debate what octave that E is going to be in. It's going to be the natural and logical E chord on a guitar. In the rare cases it's not that's why you listen to the song.

There's no reason to change the tuning of the guitar on your actual guitar or in GP to match the K-On songs.

I did not realize it wasn't a full keyboard in GP, however that still doesn't matter as I don't think there's a single K-On song that hits any notes past that.

Quote:
Therefore, the person tabbing the songs would also have to change the tuning of the guitar to match the octave pitch being played from the original song (Instead of C3 E3 G3 turns into C4 E4 G4 but the score says to play C E G).
I'm not sure I really get what you mean here.

Again, I'm just repeating myself but; there's no reason to change the tuning of a guitar as the score assumes its in standard eADGBE tuning. If the score tells you to play a C chord, play a C chord.

Unless of course you're talking about changing the tuning of the guitar track IN guitar pro in order to get the vocals and keyboards right. Which I know you were mentioning those being in the wrong octave. But I was just pointing out some misconceptions about the guitar tabs that seemed to be afloat.

lol, this is getting more confusing because we are talking about playing guitar, guitar tabs, tabbing keyboards USING guitar tracks and guitar tabbing software >___<

Last edited by CadetPD; 2010-10-23 at 03:24.
CadetPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-23, 07:36   Link #1218
Rakkasei

LightMusicBand: I think it's from Ultimate Guitar! =/
Rakkasei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-23, 09:34   Link #1219
Bolt237

Utauyo!!MIRACLE
Without vocals as usual

I was going to make a joke here but I didn't bother

@cadetpd
we're not retuning any guitars here, we're retuning pianos on gp5. The reason being that the convention is for guitar parts to be written an octave lower than most other instruments, so if we're using gp5 which is based on guitar notation, to make pianos and such sound right, we're retuning that track. that's all.
Bolt237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-23, 10:41   Link #1220
bloppyblue
SLEEP IS FOR THE WEAK!!!

Wow. I thought voices and piano was just done an octave higher on Guitar Pro because Guitar Pro doesn't have bass clef for it's tracks (asides for the bass itself). So if it was done regularly for piano, you'd be missing half of the notes on the lower spectrum (the ones of the bass clef).