AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online > Past SAO Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: Critique of Episode 02
10 out of 10: Near Perfect... 36 19.78%
9 out of 10: Excellent... 49 26.92%
8 out of 10: Very Good... 43 23.63%
7 out of 10: Good... 32 17.58%
6 out of 10: Average... 16 8.79%
5 out of 10: Below Average... 1 0.55%
4 out of 10: Poor... 2 1.10%
3 out of 10: Bad... 1 0.55%
2 out of 10: Very Bad... 0 0%
1 out of 10: Torturous... 2 1.10%
Voters: 182. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-07-14, 18:51   Link #101
Elestia

It does seem that the guidebook can be updated by the players, which makes it an invaluable tool for gathering new information on almost everything related to the world. So it can be like a portable wiki that all players have access to IF THEY BOTHERED READING THE GUIDEBOOK IN THE FIRST PLACE.
Old 2012-07-14, 18:53   Link #102
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elestia View Post
It does seem that the guidebook can be updated by the players, which makes it an invaluable tool for gathering new information on almost everything related to the world. So it can be like a portable wiki that all players have access to IF THEY BOTHERED READING THE GUIDEBOOK IN THE FIRST PLACE.
Real man don't read guide books or ask direction.

And we are never lost.
Old 2012-07-14, 18:58   Link #103
joshuafaramir
Book Elitist

WTF. This episode was rushed as hell and underwhelming to say the least. I expected more (Downfall of reading the Light Novels perhaps is that we expect too much).

P.S

I WANT THAT BATH SCENE ANIMATED!!!!!!! Why can't they be more like SHAFT (Nisemono) and give us some fanservice? A little bit would be fine.
Old 2012-07-14, 19:06   Link #104
Jarmel

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuafaramir View Post
I WANT THAT BATH SCENE ANIMATED!!!!!!! Why can't they be more like SHAFT and give us some fanservice? A little bit would be fine.
Thank god they didn't. The less fanservice, the better.
Jarmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-14, 19:07   Link #105
Rovert10

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuafaramir View Post
WTF. This episode was rushed as hell and underwhelming to say the least. I expected more.

P.S

I WANT THAT BATH SCENE ANIMATED!!!!!!! Why can't they be more like SHAFT and give us some fanservice? A little bit would be fine.
Because it would insignificant and hold no meaning if they didn't do all the scenes before that. The entire Aria side story is insignificant to the main arc in general. It just helps with continuity and some development rather than the jump in the 1st volume.
Rovert10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-14, 19:07   Link #106
HandofFate

as an anime only watcher, it was pretty enjoyable.
the boss fight was fun to watch. Asuna was interesting too. Stupid noobs trying to attack beta testers.

Kirito said he got up to higher levels than anyone, sounds like someone you would want on your friend's list. But nooo you want to get angry.

Kirito taking the role of badguy was good. Also laughed at how he just puts on the cloak like a badass.
Old 2012-07-14, 19:14   Link #107
Deltaray

Yeah, they animated that one pretty nicely, probably took them ages to get that cloak equipped animation right.
Deltaray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-14, 19:21   Link #108
TurkeyPotPie
fushigi ojisan

Anime-only viewer here: I didn't get Kirito's heel turn at the end. Was he covering for Diabel's image somehow? Diabel wasn't quite the knight he was projecting (he tried to ninja loot the rare item). Was Kirito unsure how to handle the group turning on him and calling him a cheater and just decide to say "fuck it" and put on a front and get out of there? Or does he still have issues with teaming up people and putting on that show is an easy out?

I was fairly disappointed with this episode after the really strong first episode. I thought the pacing was choppy, and that boss battle scene was pretty poor. I also thought it was strange that everyone's toons apparently need to eat even though they don't feel real pain when injured (according to Klein from the first episode).
TurkeyPotPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-14, 19:24   Link #109
Rennir
Quietly Lurking
*Graphic Designer

^He was covering for the rest of the beta-testers. By singling himself out as a "beater", a type of player that surpasses even beta-testers, he effectively draws all the enmity for beta testers towards himself.
Old 2012-07-14, 19:27   Link #110
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurkeyPotPie View Post
I also thought it was strange that everyone's toons apparently need to eat even though they don't feel real pain when injured (according to Klein from the first episode).
It's part of the game mechanic, players will feel hunger if they don't eat food items periodically. They won't starve or anything, but then they'll have to deal with being persistently hungry.
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-14, 19:28   Link #111
Rovert10

Quote:
Anime-only viewer here: I didn't get Kirito's heel turn at the end. Was he covering for Diabel's image somehow? Diabel wasn't quite the knight he was projecting (he tried to ninja loot the rare item). Was Kirito unsure how to handle the group turning on him and calling him a cheater and just decide to say "fuck it" and put on a front and get out of there? Or does he still have issues with teaming up people and putting on that show is an easy out?

I was fairly disappointed with this episode after the really strong first episode. I thought the pacing was choppy, and that boss battle scene was pretty poor. I also thought it was strange that everyone's toons apparently need to eat even though they don't feel real pain when injured (according to Klein from the first episode).
Everybody in SOA has to eat and sleep. It recreates the feeling of hunger and fatigue (sleep) within the game for added realism I suppose to give the feeling of an actual world not just a game with actual death.

Kirito seperated himself from the other Beta Testers as if he was some sort of cheating monster and that all others were just random noobs of no need for attention. So that people don't witch hunt the others.
Old 2012-07-14, 19:36   Link #112
TurkeyPotPie
fushigi ojisan

Thanks for the explanations. One other thing I was wondering about: why did Diabel turn down the potion Kirito was offering him? Guilt?

I also thought there were remarkably few fat dudes considering an MMO's typical audience. Perhaps they were among the 2k that died early on? Asuna also seemed to be the only female in the entire boss battle raiding party (and Egil the only black guy), but that probably represents most MMOs pretty well.
TurkeyPotPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-14, 19:37   Link #113
Jarmel

Someone mentioned that Kirito's bragging that he got the highest in the beta test was accurate on his part. Can I get confirmation on that, in that he wasn't lying?
Jarmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-14, 19:38   Link #114
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Thanks for the explanations. One other thing I was wondering about: why did Diabel turn down the potion Kirito was offering him? Guilt?

I also thought there were remarkably few fat dudes considering an MMO's typical audience. Perhaps they were among the 2k that died early on? Asuna also seemed to be the only female in the entire boss battle raiding party (and Egil the only black guy), but that probably represents most MMOs pretty well.
the anime didn't say it but the majority of the remaining 8k remain in the starting city. that is probably where the neets are.
Old 2012-07-14, 19:38   Link #115
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
In the future, companies will stop writing manuals entirely and leave it to the players to write a wiki.
Like Fable 4 .

I like the idea of a self updating in game wiki (a manual). It is a great plot/expository device.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-14, 19:40   Link #116
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarmel View Post
Someone mentioned that Kirito's bragging that he got the highest in the beta test was accurate on his part. Can I get confirmation on that, in that he wasn't lying?
the LN never said either way but it said he made it to lvl10. If not the highest he was probably among the highest lvl player during the Beta testing.
Old 2012-07-14, 19:41   Link #117
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Wow... Reading throught his topic...

Rushed
Rushed
Rushed
Rushed

Does everyone on this forum know Japanese and read LN's all the time or something?

Also many LN spoilers in here too. >_<

Almost makes me forget my own thoughts on the episode.

It was great. Knight guy wanted to get the item, but realised too late that the boss was different from the beta. Then he died, giving us, the viewer the idea that the threat of death is real (other than you know, 2000 unnamed characters dying offscreen).

Then there's Kirito who seems to shift the hate towards just himself to stop the normal players from distrusting eachother. (at least I think that's what he's doing)

Oh, and Asuna is very pretty. Skilled too. Noob at partying though.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-14, 19:44   Link #118
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
TBH, that was one of the poorer moments of the episode IMO. That being said, I'm not sure what else they could've done, originally Diabel barely had time to get half of a line out before dying, in the anime it almost looks like he bled out or something

Quote:
First rule of MMO, everyone is a dude until proven otherwise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarmel View Post
AFAIK not much info was ever given on SAO beta testing, I just chalk it up to Kirito talking up smack to make people hate him more.
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-14, 19:46   Link #119
Rovert10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
Wow... Reading throught his topic...

Rushed
Rushed
Rushed
Rushed

Does everyone on this forum know Japanese and read LN's all the time or something?

Also many LN spoilers in here too. >_<

Almost makes me forget my own thoughts on the episode.

It was great. Knight guy wanted to get the item, but realised too late that the boss was different from the beta. Then he died, giving us, the viewer the idea that the threat of death is real (other than you know, 2000 unnamed characters dying offscreen).

Then there's Kirito who seems to shift the hate towards just himself to stop the normal players from distrusting eachother. (at least I think that's what he's doing)

Oh, and Asuna is very pretty. Skilled too. Noob at partying though.
This forum is filled with LN readers so expect that. On like every anime here including mangas and such.
Old 2012-07-14, 19:48   Link #120
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Wait, I should "expect" LN spoilers in an anime-only thread?

Anyway I'm just surprised at the sheer number of them.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weekly episode discussion