AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Macross Frontier - Episode 04 Rating
Perfect 10 40 37.04%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 44 40.74%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 20 18.52%
7 out of 10 : Good 2 1.85%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 0.93%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.93%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-04-28, 17:56   Link #101
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
and seeing Leon get his butt kicked by Ozma is worth it.
not if Ozma dies first.....

Old 2008-04-28, 20:35   Link #102
dahak
Utu Class Planetoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKnuckles View Post
I sort of don't buy that a capitalistic one-up-manship of private military contractors is even POSSIBLE for a small colony ship (even with millions on board). That seems too small a scale for major military projects to prop up, but then again, the original Macross had inexplicable capabilities even in a relatively tiny 1km ship.
Unless I'm much mistaken the SMS fighter squadron has little if any problems operating around for example Macross Galaxy from its base on Macross Frontier.

Fighter Fold drives have been around for decades and extend thier operating radius massively. [Not to mention the hardware is being supplied by a company which appears to be back on Eden so it can be combat tested.] So SMS doesn't just have Macross Frontier as a potential client base.

It would appear to be a small galaxy as far as travel times [Interfleet transports are laid out like short haul passenger jets as far as passenger space is concerned.]. Knowing where there are locations of interest seems more of a problem.
Old 2008-04-28, 23:34   Link #103
Burner of Anime
Illegal Additives

Macross F now comes with more Loli and Head-biting.

What ever can be said about the Zentradi, the most apparent is how they were built to the absolute maximum of efficiency and quality. How to say, if they need something done right in a fight they'll usually do it once Good to know they usually have the situation "Stacked" in their favour

Edit: Wow, just noticed the Giant Fish head is part of the Nyan, Nyan restaurant menu [shows up on a table near the end]

Last edited by Burner of Anime; 2008-04-29 at 00:42.
Old 2008-04-29, 10:29   Link #104
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizuka-GTO View Post
not if Ozma dies first.....

Ozma is only allowed to die from old age.

That kick can not be reserved only for Alto. Leon needs to get his ass kicked properly.
Old 2008-04-29, 17:14   Link #105
yadango

Quote:
Originally Posted by hai_san View Post
another perfect episode!

Lanka/Ranka(what is the official spelling of her name?) singing "My Boyfriend is A Pilot" while Alto dogfight with Kleinwas just pure nostalgia, and the fight itself it remind me so much of "Max and Milia" fight in the Macross movie and afterward they fall in Love...

arggg i just love Macross !!!!!!!!!

pss: does any other anime has a marvellous choreography of singing a song, dogfight with plane and still making/matching with a super story/dialogue? the maker of macross are just pure genius i say!!
i know, the homage in this series adds a very nice touch (they know how to keep all their original die hard fans happy). the same thing kind of made hayate no gotoku fun to watch as well (finding anime references in HnG, which had several macross ones).
Old 2008-04-30, 00:54   Link #106
4Tran

I've just had a chance to rewatch this episode, and I have to say that if the quality keeps up to the end, Macross Frontier is the first show in years to have a chance of getting in my top ten. There are just so many bits that I feel it gets just right I can't help but admire. I'm especially impressed with the the enormous amount of attention to little details in Macross Frontier in general, but this episode in particular. That little military song at the beginning while Alto was doing his punishment was quite wonderful; right up there with that preparation music before the eyecatch. Another slightly unusually well done bit was the superb use of justaposition connecting otherwise unrelated events.

- The shifts in direction, orientation and movement vectors make for one of the more authentic-feeling space combat scenes of any anime in a long time. When mecha are supposed to use mobility as their main defense against enemy attack, then I expect to see a lot of movement, and that's exactly what we got.

A closer rewatch reversed some of my initial disappointment in the use of melee/point-blank combat for two reasons: Alto's foolish knife attack was shown to be a terribly useless mistake, and the subsquent attacks were made because the Vajra was proof against longer-ranged weapons. I don't know that there was anything especially powerful about the Zentradi gun Alto used - he simply fired it at the same spot that Klein Klan weakened with her main cannon. He even said that he was going for that target.

- More combat notes: the new Queadluun-Rau seems quite similar to the old one, so it'd mean that Pixie squadron wasn't using their main weapons in the field exercise. Their main offensive punch is found within their large arsenal of missiles and perhaps that new cannon. While the VF-25s mount significant missile weapons, their main armament is still that gunpod. It goes a fair ways towards showing how much Alto has to improve before he's up to Klein Klan's level. Moreover, the Queadluun-Rau seems to have lasted an extremely long time as an effective combat platform, even discounting however many centuries it may have already been in use.

- While Klein Klan's two forms might seem too unserious, please keep in mind that it's completely in line with SDF Macross' original Zentradi trio: Warera, Loli, Conda! Aside from that, I think that her character(s) add an interesting touch to the show. Note that her rank is Tai-i, so she's a squadron leader, presumably the same rank as Ozma, and outranking Michael.

- Michael doesn't just like teasing Alto; he likes to tease anyone who shows themselves to be a target. He only teases Alto as much as he does because of how strongly Alto reacts to it; luckily for him, Klein Klan reacts even stronger.

- Luca's bit of sneaking away to let Alto and Ranka have their moment is another one of those interesting details I was talking about. It also shows how perceptive he is, and acts as silent encouragement for their relationship.

- It was the Twelfth Miss Macross pageant, so assuming that they had one per year since the launch, Macross Frontier was launched in 2047, and their voyage is already in its twelfth year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKnuckles View Post
As for SMS, I suppose they can explain why they have a very capable military force in that the morale in the actual military force isn't very high (which sorta doesn't make sense by itself...) but I guess that'll do for now. I sort of don't buy that a capitalistic one-up-manship of private military contractors is even POSSIBLE for a small colony ship (even with millions on board). That seems too small a scale for major military projects to prop up, but then again, the original Macross had inexplicable capabilities even in a relatively tiny 1km ship.
The Macross colony fleets have an enormous industrial potential; with dedicated factory ships and the like. They're designed to house enough infrastructure to rebuild the entire human race if need be, and the advantages and automations conferred by Overtechnology allows them to accomplish this. It's also necessary given how long these fleets are supposed to travel for. Moreover, each of the fleets might be run a little differently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizuka-GTO View Post
the spelling of pixie squadron zentradi captain is getting on my nerves now.

not zentradi enough.
I prefer the Klein Klan spelling because it's not just the same name said twice (and klein is such a nice play on words). Besides, Milia's name wasn't all that alien sounding either.
Old 2008-04-30, 10:18   Link #107
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
- Michael doesn't just like teasing Alto; he likes to tease anyone who shows themselves to be a target. He only teases Alto as much as he does because of how strongly Alto reacts to it; luckily for him, Klein Klan reacts even stronger.
What I like about Mihael is how he puts himself nicely (( towards Alto )) as the best bad friend character archetype. He knows full well Alto's natural talent and ability along with his natural character, so he puts Alto in place with programs above his current level to curb any possible streaks of overconfidence, but at the same time, puts himself in a position of teasing Alto with these 'failures' and makes him sucker up to it giving Alto a vent to his 'defeats' to not take them negatively, but instead push his enthusiasm further to 'show Mihael his place'.

Of course, Mihael enjoys it either, but it's a show of tsundere!friendship that's rarely well-defined.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Old 2008-04-30, 12:15   Link #108
hai_san

seeing as how he teased Klein too, i think it is just his nature to teased people with their weaknese but he doesnt really have bad intention, just as Luca said, it is the way he show his feeling toward them.

also as now there are alot of interesting couple situation

Alto&Sheryl&Ranka& (Nanase?)

Ozma&Cath&Leon& (Klein?)

Michel&(Klein?)
Old 2008-04-30, 22:00   Link #109
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hai_san View Post
seeing as how he teased Klein too, i think it is just his nature to teased people with their weaknese but he doesnt really have bad intention, just as Luca said, it is the way he show his feeling toward them.

also as now there are alot of interesting couple situation

Alto&Sheryl&Ranka& (Nanase?)

Ozma&Cath&Leon& (Klein?)

Michel&(Klein?)

Don't forget the ep. 2 couple hint and Macross 7/Macross Plus homage...

Alto x Ranka x Micheal

Ranka's got to have some fun too.
Old 2008-05-01, 01:31   Link #110
Westlo
Lets be reality

^ I highly doubt that.. if another guy comes into the triangle I'm thinking the one in the OP near the end but it really depends on his role in the show in the first place.
Old 2008-05-01, 02:48   Link #111
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Alto x Luca x Michael

I really like the "loli". In both shapes. Though it makes me wonder how much her personality changes when her body does. Or is Mikhail just adept at bringing out the worst in her?
Old 2008-05-01, 03:58   Link #112
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

just kill the shouta.

:|

i prefer Quran Quran in her "adult" form, i have to admit that her loli form is funny and i guess i can put up with it.

i guess it was bound to happen, Macross can't survive without changing.

But this doesn't apply to the shouta because he isn't cool, kickarse, funny, sexy or..or...anything.

he's just dammn annoying.
Old 2008-05-01, 04:04   Link #113
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Getting back to Ranka's failure in the Miss Macross contest... I don't think Leon necessarily had anything to do with it. Sure, she was cute. But she was also clumsy and lacked self-assurance. The judges may have liked her cuteness, but would they want someone like her to be Miss Macross?
Old 2008-05-01, 08:55   Link #114
Westlo
Lets be reality

Yeah I mean we didn't even see any of the other contestants do their stuff so we can't exactly claim she was robbed lol.. I think that Leon scene was more to show that Cathy doesn't fully trust him (and make Ozma and Cathy fans go yes, screw you leon lol) more than Ranka getting robbed. She hit her head on the microphone, she fell over and she doesn't have the "look"....
Old 2008-05-01, 10:34   Link #115
Cadorna

Send a message via MSN to Cadorna
well but the clow spoke to the presindent after ranka debut, so i think is about her (100% sure about that)
Old 2008-05-02, 02:00   Link #116
Highman
Keep Pounding and Destroy

Send a message via AIM to Highman
Man this show makes feel about what I love about anime and really keeps me interested about it. Feeling like a little kid watching toonami and then suddenly your grandma kicks you out of the porch for no reason at all!
Old 2008-05-02, 02:47   Link #117
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highman View Post
Man this show makes feel about what I love about anime and really keeps me interested about it. Feeling like a little kid watching toonami and then suddenly your grandma kicks you out of the porch for no reason at all!
Eh?!

They had Toonami that far back?

Old 2008-05-02, 19:47   Link #118
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Episode 04 is finally up.

The episode turned out better then I thought if a little on the cheesy side at times, but then again it was partly about a shallow beauty contest so that's to be expected. Otherwise the episode introduced us to a few new characters and completed Alto's introduction into the SMS. If it weren't for the awful character animation we could be liking at a 9 calibre episode, but unfortunately it's more of a 7.5 rounded up to an 8.
Old 2008-05-02, 19:57   Link #119
Westlo
Lets be reality

On my second rewatch (subs) I payed more attention to the actual animation, in particular the scenes wao mentioned in her post... and it was actually quite good and at times better than usual with lots of movement (you know actual animation!). I was disappointed in the character art at times and was distracted by it... I really should've had said bad art at times in my first posts not bad animation. I never really had a problem with that in Noein which is far worse (if you consider it a bad thing) in that regard but even with that I'll still take Noein's animation over the majority of ones considered the best in the last few years. coughkyoanicough

Also since you love to compare this show to that one.. I'll say this episode has better character animation than any 00 one... but character animation was never a strong point in that show.
Old 2008-05-02, 20:14   Link #120
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
On my second rewatch (subs) I payed more attention to the actual animation, in particular the scenes wao mentioned in her post... and it was actually quite good and at times better than usual with lots of movement (you know actual animation!). I was disappointed in the character art at times and was distracted by it... I really should've had said bad art at times in my first posts not bad animation. I never really had a problem with that in Noein which is far worse (if you consider it a bad thing) in that regard but even with that I'll still take Noein's animation over the majority of ones considered the best in the last few years. coughkyoanicough

Also since you love to compare this show to that one.. I'll say this episode has better character animation than any 00 one... but character animation was never a strong point in that show.
And I'll say your wrong if we are talking about character art, which we are I think.
Closed Thread