AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-10-13, 07:11   Link #281
Insane
Banned

Perhaps we can just stop comparing this show from Steins:Gate. What were people expecting from a show called Robotic;Notes? Puppies? Flowers? Microwave Phones? I mean come on. Besides, this was never billed as a sequel to Steins;Gate, just like Steins;Gate wasn’t billed as a sequel to Chaos;Head. Yes, the three are related, but they aren’t the same thing. Keep comparing this show with S;G will just end up in endlessly unnecessarily long speculations.
Insane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-13, 08:53   Link #282
Mura
Now or Never

Send a message via AIM to Mura Send a message via MSN to Mura
Old 2012-10-13, 10:38   Link #283
Rias

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeroz View Post
sometimes I wonder what they mean by bad. Is it "ok, this is overall not as good as other ones" or "HOW DARE THEY CALL IT A SEQUEL TO STEINS GATE???". Comparison to SG is inevitable, but should it affect our perception to this show?
It's not necessary "bad" because of how good Steins;Gate was. Again, people do compare it to S;G since it IS branded as the 3rd game of 5pb.'s science adventure series. If they also wanted to compare, there's Chaos;Head to compare with. And it's not hard to beat that.

However, if you just look at the game itself, the story itself leaves something to be desired, as Robotics;Notes' story takes a huge turn around 2/3 of the game. Some doesn't like how it developed. I wonder if that would be addressed by the anime...
Old 2012-10-13, 10:50   Link #284
gopackgo

One episode and some people are jumping to conclusions
gopackgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-13, 12:36   Link #285
Byakou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rias View Post
It's not that Robotics;notes is bad, the problem(?) is that Steins;gate was too good. Way too good. It set a lot of expectation and hype for R;N when it was coming out, and unfortunately just can't really compare to it. To be fair, I did enjoy the first 2/3 of the story of R;N, and no one knows what kind of treatment it would get for its anime.

Peronally, for the games itself, I rank them as
S;G >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> R;N>>C;H

And I've gotta say, the anime quality for R;N is definitely better than S;G.
I almost dropped steins;gate in the beginning. SG started being good only like 5 episodes in. It could go the same way with this show. I don't get people that judge this show after just 1 episode. If someone watched only the first ep of steins;gate, they would conclude it sucks too. But after sticking with it we realized it was actually a good show.
Byakou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-13, 14:35   Link #286
Julio C
Bury My Shell

Send a message via AIM to Julio C Send a message via MSN to Julio C Send a message via Yahoo to Julio C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane View Post
Perhaps we can just stop comparing this show from Steins:Gate. What were people expecting from a show called Robotic;Notes? Puppies? Flowers? Microwave Phones? I mean come on. Besides, this was never billed as a sequel to Steins;Gate, just like Steins;Gate wasn’t billed as a sequel to Chaos;Head. Yes, the three are related, but they aren’t the same thing. Keep comparing this show with S;G will just end up in endlessly unnecessarily long speculations.
I hate it when people compare to another show and expect it to be as great as that show. People should just watch this show based on its own merits.

I was already interested in this show before I knew it was related to Steins Gate somehow. I guess some people were only interested in this show because of that and expect something related to Steins Gate to happen.
Julio C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-13, 15:12   Link #287
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
Perhaps we can just stop comparing this show from Steins:Gate. What were people expecting from a show called Robotic;Notes? Puppies? Flowers? Microwave Phones?
I was expecting something more than "Tari Tari with robots." I associate the Science;Adventure series with crazy complex mysteries, not generic Save Our Club plots. I'll keep watching in the hopes that there's a hook coming, but the lack of originality in the first episode is disappointing.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-13, 16:05   Link #288
TJR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeroz View Post
sometimes I wonder what they mean by bad. Is it "ok, this is overall not as good as other ones" or "HOW DARE THEY CALL IT A SEQUEL TO STEINS GATE???". Comparison to SG is inevitable, but should it affect our perception to this show?
Most complaints seem to center around the scenario and characters. Some found them to be bland and boring. The plot twists toward the end also proved to be controversial.

Several readers drew comparisons to Steins;Gate and Chaos;Head. However, others specifically mentioned that the game was uninteresting even when viewed as an unrelated work.

Personally, I enjoyed the first episode, so I'm still eager to see how the story progresses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako
I associate the Science;Adventure series with crazy complex mysteries, not generic Save Our Club plots.
That may be part of the problem. Previous installments had an air of mystery from the start and were popular for their colourful characters (plus outrageous protagonists). They were very different from most visual novels.

Robotics;Notes is said to hearken back to something more typical. I guess the real question is whether the writing and characters compare well with other high school oriented visual novels. These don't go over too well with the masses (too mundane, trite, etc.), but that's the nature of the genre.
TJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-13, 16:15   Link #289
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

I liked it. I liked the two main characters. I liked their voices, especially: the oh-so-soothing voice of Kimura Ryouhei, and Nanjou Yoshino coming into her own (see avatar and sig). I liked the fact that she could project absurd energy while still remaining a real person.

The build-up is slow as a summer's day, but I think there is a lot more coming. Written by Hanada Jukki, so I have confidence that things will unfold as they should. I hate it when people jump to negative conclusions based on little evidence -- especially when it's a show I find myself liking, lol.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-13, 23:54   Link #290
OkamiNoKaze

Aki is giving me Madoka vibes, so this show works for now as a replacement for Rinne
Old 2012-10-14, 10:00   Link #291
Mura
Now or Never

Send a message via AIM to Mura Send a message via MSN to Mura
Old 2012-10-14, 10:17   Link #292
arekwibowo
Banned

Quote:
Keep comparing this show with S;G will just end up in endlessly unnecessarily long speculations.
But isn't that what we're doing in this forum? Without speculations, there'll be no discussions in the first place.
arekwibowo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-14, 10:30   Link #293
Ghanw
(-_-)

Has anybody played the VN of this?
Ghanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-14, 11:24   Link #294
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

It was okay. I admit, I kind of misread it as being related to Steins Gate....

And also, I'm not really into mecha that much either. But I'll stick around to see where this goes.
GDiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-14, 12:18   Link #295
Kimidori
The Opened Ultimate Gate

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDiddy View Post
It was okay. I admit, I kind of misread it as being related to Steins Gate....

And also, I'm not really into mecha that much either. But I'll stick around to see where this goes.
it IS related to Steins;Gate, just not that much (set in the same world, true end timeline)
Old 2012-10-15, 00:34   Link #296
Insane
Banned

There’s one thing that’s bugged me about this first episode: the way they presented the characters and setting; first of all, the fact that even if his device asked just for random words, the main characters just had to go and tell everything we need to know about himself in a minute. Then the setting: although Yashio should of course know many things about the world he lives in, Aki just tells him all over again like he came from another dimension, with the all-too-old “Since you’re so stubborn, I’ll just tell you things you should know already like if you were a total stranger” excuse.
Come on, can it get even cheaper and more convenient?

I know, i’ts kind of a pet peeve, it’s not the first anime at all to do things like that, and actually the premiere was fairly intriguing overall, but I expected much more from the writers of Steins;Gate. I’m intrigued by the references to 5pd previous works, and I hope this will develop as a fairly true sequel, but I’m also a little worried to be let down after last years’ masterpiece.
Insane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-15, 01:21   Link #297
Unknown Soldier
:D

Steins;Gate took a good 11-12 episodes to really kick into gear. I'm guessing this one will be a slow burn as well. So I'm guessing this might seem bad for awhile there, but let's not forget that for almost half of S;G it just was messing around with the microwave and meeting random people and playing games with time before shit got real.
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-15, 01:37   Link #298
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Yeah, this is a 2-cour series. Time to get used to a format of storytelling that is slower than the usual.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-15, 02:42   Link #299
Rias

Quote:
There’s one thing that’s bugged me about this first episode: the way they presented the characters and setting; first of all, the fact that even if his device asked just for random words, the main characters just had to go and tell everything we need to know about himself in a minute. Then the setting: although Yashio should of course know many things about the world he lives in, Aki just tells him all over again like he came from another dimension, with the all-too-old “Since you’re so stubborn, I’ll just tell you things you should know already like if you were a total stranger” excuse.
Come on, can it get even cheaper and more convenient?
That's how it's done in the game too. I actually never thought about it too much since it's not unusual for the main character to do intro narrations in the beginning. Even Okabe did it in S;G. They need to introduce a lot of settings since this takes place in future - and there's actually still quite a bit of stuff they havn't got to introduce in the first episode.
Old 2012-10-15, 05:53   Link #300
Qikz

Loved the first episode. I've been waiting to play the VN but since I don't have a PS3/JP 360 I need to wait for the PSP version. So until then the anime will keep me entertained.

Stories going to be great, that's just a complete given due to it being mages. Mages stories in anime form (as seen with Steins;Gate) take a while to get into them and the opening episodes are usually very important, so I'll make sure to take all the information I can in <3
Qikz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
science fiction