AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2017-08-10, 10:40   Link #5741
SilverGlavenus

At this point, I think Negi is the strongest tho, he developed his thunder form way more than the latest chapter and he owned Eva and Fate in a flash.

Also, i don't want Touta to rely on his pseudo-thunder vigor form, cause it's kinda boring. He needs some kind of new power, maybe swordsmanship or smth.
SilverGlavenus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-10, 11:11   Link #5742
Shippuu
The Insatiable

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGlavenus View Post
What the fuck is Thousand Master anyway?? I expected a battle with epic spells amd techniques, and yet Ken showed us only an over the top hand to hand fight.
Gone are the days when Negima had entire omake devoted to techno/magibabble and magical theory, explaining the magic system and how stuff worked so you can actually grasp what spells are about, why they are difficult etc. and you have at least a vague grasp where each fighter stands in a match.
Combat in Holder boils down to three things:

Hand-to-hand.
Throwing glowing weapons at each other.
Unique skills, one of Holder's laziest inventions yet. They have no basis and just exist for convenience. They can literally do anything for no reason.
They're exactly like artifacts. And though I love Negima dearly I always hated artifacts. A cheap and lazy way to get the girls broken powers for no effort.
They were also catalysts for the obnoxious, awful and utterly unnecessary harem elements, but that's just me.

Magia Erebea is also increasing in prominence, and if you don't have Magia Erebea you are essentially worthless. Let's hope it doesn't get even more importance like certain eyes of DARKNESS which also have a corrupting influence and took over the entirety of another manga.

It's not Negima, after all. I'd be honestly surprised if we ever get a fight like Negi vs Rakan again.
Shippuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-10, 13:44   Link #5743
NapoleonDeCheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knighto View Post
The battle has just started and we already have the usual ranting... BECAUSE PEOPLE CAN'T JUST SHUT THE FUCK UP.
Given that the purpose of these threads is allowing people to express their own opinions freely instead of shutting up while being yelled obscenities in all caps, yeah, well, no wonder we aren't shutting up.

Quote:
I'm done with this thread.
A very laudable decision, I'm sure. Have a nice day then.
NapoleonDeCheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-10, 18:55   Link #5744
SilverGlavenus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shippuu View Post

It's not Negima, after all. I'd be honestly surprised if we ever get a fight like Negi vs Rakan again.
While Negi vs Rakan is definitely the best, Negima following that point was extremely rushed tbh. Ken wasted too much time on the early half of the Mars arc (the slavery thing and such) while he could have used that time to further the plot and dig into the past of major characters. Albireo, Filius and even Rakan could have been shown more depth, instead of simply introducing them with crazy powers.

Welp, UQ clearly suffers from that lack of Negima plot now.
Old 2017-08-12, 11:32   Link #5745
Malicre

Does anyone even care about UQ holder anymore? It went from being UQ Holder to a negima sequel then back to uq holder. Honestly cant tell if the author wanted this to be its own thing or a legit sequel to negima but either way he should make up his mind already. While i don't mind mentions of negi or maybe an arc or 2 with him in it i couldn't stand it once the focus shifted away from touta towards negi and that was the final breaking point for me. If i wanted to read about negi i would go read negima but i wanted to read this for touta's journey and i didn't even get that and lets not even mentions eva's character, oh boy she was SOOOOO much better in the original manga, she acts more like a teenager in UQ holder.

Anyways that's my opinion and this will probably be my final post in this thread as i have stopped reading UQ Holder.
Malicre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-12, 17:30   Link #5746
SleepingTerror
Sherry x Rye

I just really hope they don't end the series as soon as the parts in Negima are resolved. I feel like it would be such a waste when I had already moved on from Negima when this series started. Plus there are a couple new characters I do like, sigh.
Old 2017-08-12, 19:07   Link #5747
Shippuu
The Insatiable

I've been wondering about it for a long time.
I can understand why he ended Negima. That wasn't his mistake. His mistake was making UQ Holder. He could have made a proper Negima sequel or he could have made something entirely new. I would have been fine with either. But he made this instead and I believe it to be the worst possible decision he could have made.
I've made no secret of my dislike for Holder, how it often feels like it shits all over Negima's continuity and characters while excusing it with timelines, and everything about Touta reads like bottom of the barrel Negima fanfiction. And yet I can't just stop reading it because these pieces of Negima are all I'm ever going to get.

Meanwhile fans of the new story keep getting Negima shoved in their faces. It just confounds the mind why it ended up this way.
Old 2017-08-12, 19:11   Link #5748
dragon1412

Now, I like UQ holder in the beginning, with subtle hint of Negima timeline, Touta really strike me as character, but recent chapter make it worse. 1 thing I noticed that Ken seem to be unable to choose that he'd let UQ to become a standalone same universe or Negima sequel. It had a different MC and storyline, so I originally thought of it as same universe story, but now it just another Negima sequel, and this back and forth hurt, frankly, I could careless about Negi vs Nagi at this point. And Nagi turning into super human without any need of magic just down it a grade.

EDIT: with the latest chapter, all I can see is Ken is trying to put the end of Negima that he was unable to draw in UQ holder rather than an actual path required by the story
dragon1412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-12, 19:26   Link #5749
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon1412 View Post
Now, I like UQ holder in the beginning, with subtle hint of Negima timeline, Touta really strike me as character, but recent chapter make it worse. 1 thing I noticed that Ken seem to be unable to choose that he'd let UQ to become a standalone same universe or Negima sequel. It had a different MC and storyline, so I originally thought of it as same universe story, but now it just another Negima sequel, and this back and forth hurt, frankly, I could careless about Negi vs Nagi at this point. And Nagi turning into super human without any need of magic just down it a grade.

EDIT: with the latest chapter, all I can see is Ken is trying to put the end of Negima that he was unable to draw in UQ holder rather than an actual path required by the story
Frankly the moment UQ Holder was announced with Negi's grandson as the MC, I was expecting Ken to clean up Negima loose ends.

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-12, 20:15   Link #5750
dragon1412

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endscape View Post
Frankly the moment UQ Holder was announced with Negi's grandson as the MC, I was expecting Ken to clean up Negima loose ends.
I have the same expectation at 1st as well, but the 1st 50 chapters make me rethink, there was little link to Negima and even then it's still Touta's story, I like Touta and Kitty moment as well. But the newest 30 chapter turn to a full blown Negima ending, which was rather out of place, especially the supposed good end.
dragon1412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-12, 20:15   Link #5751
SilverGlavenus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon1412 View Post
And Nagi turning into super human without any need of magic just down it a grade.
See?? I'm not the only one seeing this. I expected Thousand Master to fully utilize his magic, not necessarily a thousand spells but at least ... Nagi just straight up pulled power from his ass.

I'm kinda okay with Negi being the last boss, cause maybe UQ holder needs an even bigger and more epic final boss battle than Negima. My problem is that Negi was introduced way too soon as the final villain, along with an insanely powerful cast. I don't see how the new human girls in Touta's team are gonna keep up with that, without some absurd power ups.

UQ Holders needs more sub bosses for character developments. Negima was about Negi finding his cool badass father, and UQ Holder is about Touta saving his cool badass grandfather so ...
Old 2017-08-12, 22:47   Link #5752
Twi

Didn't Nagi do a no-magic run when he saved Negi's mother? Whatever happened to her?
Old 2017-08-13, 07:44   Link #5753
Shippuu
The Insatiable

Wouldn't be surprised if Ken forgot about Arika. I don't doubt he would have addressed this in Negima eventually but I'm not sure how he could fit her story into Holder.
Same with Asuna's backstory which is still full of holes. Now that she has almost no role in this story it will probably never happen.
Or the Master of the Gravekeeper's Palace.
Or Filius Zect.

Considering he is part of team Evil now and Santa flat-out mentioned he is not human, I think at least Albiero will eventually get some spotlight.
Old 2017-08-13, 07:55   Link #5754
SilverGlavenus

I also want some more depths on Dana and her vampire race, considering how they are even superior to Eva
Old 2017-08-13, 09:02   Link #5755
NapoleonDeCheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGlavenus View Post
I don't see how the new human girls in Touta's team are gonna keep up with that, without some absurd power ups.
I don't think Mizore and Shinobu are supposed to ever be useful in battle at all, they seem to be there only to supply occasional lame 'humor' moments and extra fanservice bits, like the cheerleaders or the Narutaki girls.

Frankly, from what was implied in the end of Negima I was expecting for the final fight against the Mage of the Beginning to involve the whole of 3-A, not just the same characters we ever saw over and over again. Even the anime series, both of them, and the animated movie found ways, even if lame ones, to make everyone relevant in their own final confrontations.

As for UQ Holder ever becoming its own thing at all again, I guess it depends on whether the anime is successful or not. If the franchise fails to take off as a multimedia thing, I can see Kodansha just telling Akamatsu to pull the plug, as it's not financially worthwhile to publish a manga that performs worse than the franchise that preceded it. Even so, given how the anime seems to emphasize the Negima angle so heavily, to the degree even original characters as important as Santa and Ikkuu are ignored, I wonder if even a successful anime wouldn't just send the message people wanted to see more Negima rather than more UQ Holder.
Old 2017-08-13, 09:18   Link #5756
Shippuu
The Insatiable

Not sure I'd want the whole Noble thing be brought up again. Not only because they clearly didn't exist in Negima, but because Dana can literally do anything, yet does nothing. At least Evangeline had the Infernus Scholasticus curse as an excuse, as annoying as it was already then.

Actually, I still have no idea what Evangeline is supposed to be, or what vampires are supposed to be, after Ken retconned the explanation like 5 times.
Old 2017-08-13, 09:43   Link #5757
NapoleonDeCheese

The Nobles are too powerful as to be defeated believably if they ever become enemies, and also too powerful as to be credible allies without breaking the suspense. Yet the other alternative, them doing nothing Because Reasons (why not to just kill themselves if they see no purpose on partaking into anything anymore?) also seems so pointless it makes you wonder what was the point of bringing them up at all. Maybe Dana would have worked better as the last of her kind, or something like that.
Old 2017-08-13, 09:44   Link #5758
SilverGlavenus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shippuu View Post
Not sure I'd want the whole Noble thing be brought up again. Not only because they clearly didn't exist in Negima, but because Dana can literally do anything, yet does nothing. At least Evangeline had the Infernus Scholasticus curse as an excuse, as annoying as it was already then.

Actually, I still have no idea what Evangeline is supposed to be, or what vampires are supposed to be, after Ken retconned the explanation like 5 times.
Hmm, i think Ken could use the Nobles as ways to develop the UQ cast, acting as bosses or whatever. The way it is now, Touta cannot beat MotB, especially since she has merged with Negi and Nagi.

But then again, with all the world domination and crazy battles happening and we still don't see anything about the Nobles taking actions, like you said, the Nobles must be stupidly strong to give a shit, or their world exists in some different place.

Eva was made immortal by MotB, right?? And Dana took her in and trained her, so the MotB may have some connections to the Nobles, a cast out or smth
Old 2017-08-13, 10:38   Link #5759
NapoleonDeCheese

Besides, if the Nobles were so strong, why did they never do anything? I mean, it's not like their actions are recorded into public history. Even if we buy they are too jaded to do anything at all NOW, there must have been a time where they could be bothered to actually go out and do things. If they were so powerful, why didn't they take over the world, or at least leave a mark on recorded history, then?

Even the Magical World, where such things are public knowledge, never mentioned them at all during Negima. That's Dragon Ball Z/Super level of writing, where power escalation prompts the appearance of previously unmentioned guys who are so mighty they SHOULD have been brought upon before they were... but they never were.
Old 2017-08-13, 10:57   Link #5760
SilverGlavenus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NapoleonDeCheese View Post
Besides, if the Nobles were so strong, why did they never do anything? I mean, it's not like their actions are recorded into public history. Even if we buy they are too jaded to do anything at all NOW, there must have been a time where they could be bothered to actually go out and do things. If they were so powerful, why didn't they take over the world, or at least leave a mark on recorded history, then?

Even the Magical World, where such things are public knowledge, never mentioned them at all during Negima. That's Dragon Ball Z/Super level of writing, where power escalation prompts the appearance of previously unmentioned guys who are so mighty they SHOULD have been brought upon before they were... but they never were.
Maybe it is exactly because they are too strong that they dont give a shit, much like the elves not interfering with lowly humans in many fantasies. Besides, if MotB does not pose a threat to them, they need not mobilize at all.

Perhaps they live in a different dimension or smth, seeing how Dana have a castle of her own in a middle of nowhere.

Tags
action, comedy, harem, mother-con, negima, sequel, time travel, waiting for love