AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Fate/ Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Fate/Zero - Favourite Character(s) Poll [First Part]
Servant Saber - King of Knights, Arturia Pendragon 90 33.83%
Saber's Master - Magus Killer, Emiya Kiritsugu 89 33.46%
Servant Archer - King of Heroes, Gilgamesh 91 34.21%
Archer's Master - Magus Partiarch, Tohsaka Tokiyomi 14 5.26%
Servant Lancer - Fianna Knight, Diarmuid O'Dyna 68 25.56%
Lancer's Master - Lord El-Melloi, Kayneth Archibald 16 6.02%
Servant Rider - King of Conquerors, Iskandar 155 58.27%
Rider's Master - Magus Student, Waver Velvet 49 18.42%
Servant Caster - Bluebeard, Gilles de Rais 30 11.28%
Caster's Master - Serial Killer, Uryuu Ryuunosuke 26 9.77%
Servant Berserker - Black Knight, ???? 60 22.56%
Berserker's Master - Crest Worms Magus, Matou Kariya 92 34.59%
Servant Assassin - Old Man of Mountain, Hassan-i Sabbah 6 2.26%
Assassin's Master - Church Executor, Kotomine Kirei 65 24.44%
Irisviel von Einzbern 113 42.48%
Hisau Maiya 24 9.02%
Sola-Ui Nuaba-Re Sophia-Ri 11 4.14%
Others 20 7.52%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 266. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-01-02, 13:10   Link #41
Thess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I'd say Berserk's ranking in the poll is pretty damn good given what little screentime he's had so far.
Ironically, he's voted second best Servant after Rider in the MAL poll... (I was surprised too lol).

Quote:
I didn't expect Assassin to be so unpopular. Then again, his role was that of a canon fodder so it's not too surprising. I'm sure he would have gotten more vote if Lolissassin had made it into the anime
Such a wasted good opportunity for drama.

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Thess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-02, 13:12   Link #42
ranran
daydreaming 24/7
*Artist

My vote goes to Rider, the most magnificent King there is.
Old 2012-01-02, 20:34   Link #43
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
Gilgamesh is my top favorite
Leo_Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-03, 02:15   Link #44
.:Jason:.
~The Radiant Protector~

Send a message via AIM to .:Jason:. Send a message via MSN to .:Jason:.
For Servants I went with Rider, Archer, and Lancer. At the start Saber was my favorite but episode 11 pretty much dropped her from the list. Rider because he's funny and a badass and Lancer and Archer just for being badass in general and likable despite their lack of charisma when compared to Rider.

Masters I chose were Waver and Kariya, Waver because he's the underdog and I like his interactions with Rider and Kariya because he seems to be the most innocent master after Waver and because I just can't help feel sorry for him.

And Iris was my choice for characters that fit neither position of Masterr and Servant becuase she's not only cute, but she's a badass as well.

Set by TheEroKing.
.:Jason:. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-03, 02:23   Link #45
Vicious108

Quote:
I'd say Berserk's ranking in the poll is pretty damn good given what little screentime he's had so far.
Indeed. I personally find it somewhat baffling that he's above Caster and tied with Lancer when the latter ones have received so much more exposure and characterisation. Berserker is a seemingly strong and cool looking fighter with potential, but we still know next to nothing about him as a character at this point in the game. I guess he's where all those "too much dialogue, needs more action" detractors' votes went, since he seems to be basically incapable of speech and has done nothing but fight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:Jason:. View Post
Kariya because he seems to be the most innocent master after Waver and because I just can't help feel sorry for him.
I would have agreed at the start of the show, but Kariya certainly doesn't appear to be all that innocent any more after the hell he's suffered at the hands of Zouken and at the cost of maintaining Berserker, which appear to have brought to the surface a much less admirable inner motivation of his, with his priorities seemingly shifting somewhat from "Saving Sakura" to "Spiting Tokiomi".

Not that I'm judging or condemning him for it. It makes him all the more interesting as a character to me. Like his Servant though, his limited screen time makes him come up short when compared to some of the other Masters thus far. But I feel there's a good chance I'll be voting for him in the 2nd poll after the end of the story rather than at its halfway point.
Vicious108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-03, 03:41   Link #46
Terminator98
Archangelic Demon Vampire
*Author

Berserker will become an all times fave once 2nd season is out.
The sheer epicness of his coming action is so epic that even in a voting thread, I am here to prophesize it and remind us all that: IN BERSERKER WE TRUST.

Other than this off topic, him being able to beat Gilgamesh at his own game (using all the weapons of GoB back against its own user) and beating the crap out of Saber with... A STREET LAMP POLE definitely warrants him being up in the ranks with:

A lance user that has managed into cuttting a tendon and a piece of some book.
A swordsman that managed to get handicapped.
A guy that's doing damage by rolling over stuff with his vehicle, much like these crazy people in FPS where they take and jeep/tank and have fun...
Old 2012-01-03, 03:57   Link #47
Vicious108

He didn't really beat Gilgamesh so much as he cancelled out his attack (which as we saw a few seconds later, was a low calibre version of it). And IIRC, even handicapped, Saber still managed to parry every single blow of his and didn't really get the crap beat out of her by any stretch of the imagination. So, sorry, but you're exaggerating his feats just a little there. He was certainly quite badass in doing them, but nowhere as successful as you're making him out to be.
Old 2012-01-03, 04:14   Link #48
Thess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Twilight View Post
He didn't really beat Gilgamesh so much as he cancelled out his attack (which as we saw a few seconds later, was a low calibre version of it). And IIRC, even handicapped, Saber still managed to parry every single blow of his and didn't really get the crap beat out of her by any stretch of the imagination. So, sorry, but you're exaggerating his feats just a little there. He was certainly quite badass in doing them, but nowhere as successful as you're making him out to be.
Well, they are right to say that Berserker's far more superior to Saber in combat by far. He's someone who was unmatched in his time and can master just about any weapon because he's haxx like that (Saber's technique relies on Instinct and her powerful NP, she's nowhere as versatile as fighter). His ability does cancel GoB and there's still more about him... (although that wouldn't help him against Ea, but it's Gil, he wouldn't use Ea with a 'wild dog').

His weak spot is having such lackluster source of prana.

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Old 2012-01-03, 04:20   Link #49
Vicious108

Yes, he certainly seemed to be quite skilled, which I think is a great twist since usually Berserker-type characters (in general, not just in Fate) tend to be big destructive brutes with unrefined skills, but Saber did manage to hold her own relatively well. Though now that I remember, Berserker was totally gonna bash her head in with that street lamp pole before Lancer intervened, so I suppose he did come pretty close to beating the crap out of far.
Old 2012-01-03, 04:45   Link #50
Terminator98
Archangelic Demon Vampire
*Author

Quote:
Yes, he certainly seemed to be quite skilled, which I think is a great twist since usually Berserker-type characters (in general, not just in Fate) tend to be big destructive brutes with unrefined skills, but Saber did manage to hold her own relatively well. Though now that I remember, Berserker was totally gonna bash her head in with that street lamp pole before Lancer intervened, so I suppose he did come pretty close to beating the crap out of far.
You did catch out that Saber was going to take a pole to the head if Lancer hadn't intervenened.

But concerning Gil... we all know how he is supposedly ranked amongst the top three of the Nasuverse when it comes to power (forgot exactly his ranking as I said).

The simple fact that Berserker managed to piss him off so much... RIGHT WHEN THEY MEET is what made it look so awesome.

There's no doubt that Gil is almightniness incarnate.
But he rarely uses it all anyways.
Old 2012-01-03, 06:52   Link #51
patnam

RIDER you're da man~~!!
patnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-03, 20:30   Link #52
Cherry_Lover

Quote:
I would have agreed at the start of the show, but Kariya certainly doesn't appear to be all that innocent any more after the hell he's suffered at the hands of Zouken and at the cost of maintaining Berserker, which appear to have brought to the surface a much less admirable inner motivation of his, with his priorities seemingly shifting somewhat from "Saving Sakura" to "Spiting Tokiomi".
Well, it's true that he does want to get back at Tokiomi, but that doesn't mean that he isn't trying to save Sakura. It just so happens that, in his mind at least, the two co-incide....

He has basically condemned himself to an agonising death to save an innocent girl, and I don't see how that can possibly be anything other than admirable.
Cherry_Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-03, 20:44   Link #53
Thess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherry_Lover View Post
Well, it's true that he does want to get back at Tokiomi, but that doesn't mean that he isn't trying to save Sakura. It just so happens that, in his mind at least, the two co-incide....

He has basically condemned himself to an agonising death to save an innocent girl, and I don't see how that can possibly be anything other than admirable.
This.

And let's not forget that he's in perpetual agony: mentally and physically. Pain doesn't bring out the best of people.

Old 2012-01-03, 20:56   Link #54
Vicious108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherry_Lover View Post

That's still admirable, but the fact that he seems to be prioritising spiting Tokiomi over saving said innocent girl is somewhat less so. At least that's what was implied in episode 5, where he didn't make a move until Tokiomi's Servant showed himself, was pissed off that Berserker went and fought a different Servant, and laughed maniacally at the end of it all as if he'd just achieved a great victory even though that skirmish hadn't really gotten him closer to saving Sakura in any substantial way, and had only contributed towards humiliating Tokiomi a bit by forcing him to use a Command Spell.

Don't get me wrong, I fully believe his good intentions are still there, but the toll Zouken's one year training and Berserker's summoning and maintenance have taken on his sanity have clearly darkened somewhat our once entirely virtuous hero. All of his pent up resentment for Tokiomi has risen to the surface of his being and appears to have become just as strong a motivation for him as wanting to save Sakura, turning him into a warped mass of good intentions muddled into spite and hatred. Even his also admirable act of saving Rin in episode 10 might have been driven by the need to prove he's better than Tokiomi through saving his daughter, whom the latter didn't move an inch to save himself, rather than just to save her for the sake of it.

That's my take on him thus far, but his appearances have been scarce so I can't be entirely sure of it. I suppose I'll see in the second half of the show just what his state of mind has become after his worm-induced degeneration.
Old 2012-01-03, 23:50   Link #55
Thess

It's true he's biased against Tokiomi (understandably so with his current mental and physical state) which blinds him. However that particular scene his enemity with the man isn't everything that was involved. The anime cut this:

Spoiler for novel:

Berserker went so mad that, in order to fight Saber, he sucked Kariya's prana out and he was forced to be unconscious in agony. So yeah... He was being smart too, letting the Servants fight themselves, considering he's maintaining a friggin' Berserker. That's the way to go unless you're a prana battery like Illya.

Old 2012-01-05, 03:13   Link #56
LunarMoon

I'll just leave this here.
http://sekijitsu.com/2012/01/03/weekly-art-fatezero/

As always, it's somewhat difficult to keep my experience with reading the light novel's second half from interfering with my perception the anime's first half, which is why I generally don't comment on anything anime related. That also, of course, means that I'll subconsciously tend to ascribe a higher level of favoritism to a particular character based upon what they do in the second half, as well as what's actually been shown in the anime. That said, attempting to put this aside and see the first half as separate from the second, my favorite characters are still Saber, Rider, Kariya, and Irisviel, in that order.

Saber hasn't really done anything impressive, so far, but I like her largely for the same reason that I like Kariya, in that she represents one of the few largely noble characters in a story with a a high dosage of borderline despicable characters such as Kiritsugu and Tokiomi. There's also the fact that I find her attitude towards kingship to be genuinely noble, while I regard Rider's as more of a character flaw. Sacrificing the lives of thousands of men, women, and children, through a series of Wars of Aggression, is morally ambiguous to say the least, while Saber, as Rider was forced to concede, came off as a pure saint, who was so largely dedicated to her responsibilities as a ruler that she was willing to forego her own happiness. That level of sacrifice for a goal that is perceived as worthy, would be admirable even if it wasn't done within the best intentions to help her constituents.

Acting as a political figure is a high position of responsibility with an untold number of people, many of them qualified to do so, interested in filling that positions. In times, that responsibility means foregoing one's own happiness for a greater good, and I find it admirable that she was willing to do that. In such a position of responsibility, be it as a parent, a representative for a company, or a politician, living a "greedy", "fun", enviable life shouldn't even enter into the the equation.

A position such as kingship is indeed "thorny", but if someone is unwilling to forego some level of happiness in order to acquire whatever benefits they find in acting out such a position of responsibility, then they should simply step down or remain uninvolved, as many, more qualified people, would be willing to fulfill such a position as that of a ruler or a political leader. Still, though I don't agree with Rider's attitude towards kingship, the man is so thoroughly gregarious and accepting of others, that it's extremely difficult not to like him, based upon his personality traits.

I would vote for Kiritsugu and Kotomine, but the first half hasn't really covered them enough to justify it. Otherwise, I would select Kiritsugu as my favorite character with Kotomine leading a bit behind. Both are just extremely interesting characters, from a psychoanalytical viewpoint.
To await an anime for the VN Muv-Luv,
Lunar.Moon.
Downloading from Hulu at the speed of light,
To remain within the bounds of copyrights!
http://myanimelist.net/profile/LunarMoon
LunarMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-05, 03:21   Link #57
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
Instead of talking about my favorite characters, I'm going to talk about the ones who didn't leave much of an impression. In truth every single one of them was interesting in their own way, from Rider's ham-handed attitude to Caster's disrespect for human life. Some were more likable than others, but most of them were well developed considering some archetypes or motivations that are pretty dry on paper, and in some cases no motivation at all.

I say most because Tokiomi, Kariya and Kayneth didn't really have much of an impact on the show or weren't as fleshed out as the rest. Tohsaka and Archibald have their personality, but most of their story contribution was more of a catalyst for the actions of others than themselves; Kirei, Archer and even Rin for the former, Lancer, Sola-Ui and Waver for the latter. On the flipside, Matou's role in the narrative is entirely his own but it only serves to round out the number of Servants participating, and doesn't leave much of an impression.

In a series with almost no wasted characters, I had to assume somebody was going to be relegated to plot device, but it's still a bit noticeable looking back on it.
GANBARIMASU
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-05, 03:46   Link #58
barcode120x
MSN, FNP-C

Just started watching the series I have to say I freaking think Berserker is AWESOME. The master they used for him is PERFECT as well. But man, I mean the visuals and the type of character Berserker is in this series compared to the other series is EPIC! It's a shame that they didn't really focus on changing the visuals too much with the other heroes; however, it does seem like Berserker's visuals was meant to be changed up due to his roll...but man, I just can't get how epic episode 5 is with him crashing in.

"Caring may occur without curing, but curing cannot occur without caring."

“Uncertainty is the most disturbing part of decision making.”
barcode120x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-05, 04:09   Link #59
Thess

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunarMoon View Post
Saber hasn't really done anything impressive, so far, but I like her largely for the same reason that I like Kariya, in that she represents one of the few largely noble characters in a story with a a high dosage of borderline despicable characters such as Kiritsugu and Tokiomi. There's also the fact that I find her attitude towards kingship to be genuinely noble, while I regard Rider's as more of a character flaw. Sacrificing the lives of thousands of men, women, and children, through a series of Wars of Aggression, is morally ambiguous to say the least, while Saber, as Rider was forced to concede, came off as a pure saint, who was so largely dedicated to her responsibilities as a ruler that she was willing to forego her own happiness. That level of sacrifice for a goal that is perceived as worthy, would be admirable even if it wasn't done within the best intentions to help her constituents.
It's hardly a flaw. Alexander the Great paved an Empire. While Arturia protected her country from invaders.

Two different contexts they lived with. Neither of them were wrong in their way of kingships. They are just different: he was a conqueror, she was a knight. Trying to measure one to the other is like trying to compare apples and oranges. They are both fruits, but they don't taste the same (although they do have a similar nutritional value).

You may not like this but that's not really a character flaw.

If anything Rider's flaw is that he's too nice and friendly. His way of conquest (that borderlines on the POWER OF FRIENDSHIP) really gets in the way of his goal. He should have let Saber get killed and then ran over Lancer and Berserker to death in episode 5, but he's way not as ruthless as you would expect from a conqueror. But one of the reasons I like him is because his excessive good nature, yet it's still a flaw.

Last edited by Thess; 2012-01-05 at 04:30.
Old 2012-01-05, 04:53   Link #60
SJCrew
Anachro-Romeo

I'm not sure which day and age you live in, but conquests for world domination without consent of its people is definitely a flaw. Great guy at heart, but his goal is a narcissistic one and doomed to failure.

Alexander the Great is no more. All that's left is the character Rider, who still thinks that the world is his for the taking, even in a day and age where there are many established cultures and governing bodies that have no need of another ruler. There's probably a different word for the kind of character he is, but I'm bordering on 'dense' with a side of 'foolish'.
SJCrew is offline   Reply With Quote