AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2013-11-10, 15:26   Link #21
Blaat
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hat and Clogs View Post
Point 3 was pretty heavily hinted at during the panel that internal testers abandoned the old style map pretty much in favor of the newer ones.


edit: Hour or so of gameplay from Blizcon, I can't watching since I'm over the data cap so can't tell you what it's like.

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
That was fun to watch, thanks for the link directing was pretty lousy during the first match but luckily it improved for the second match. Not sure if I like the extra objectives it seems too bothersome admittedly at the same time I really don't want to play the same three lane map I've done hundreds of times in Dota, HoN and Dota II.


Also Uthor walks away.
__________________
Blaat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-11, 00:55   Link #22
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
lol @ brutally crushing Riot. Blizzard would be ecstatic if this could be as popular as DOTA 2.
The only game that is challenging LoL is Dota 2, and blizzard lost their chance years ago to take dota under their brand. Their loss, LOL.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-11, 06:46   Link #23
Jaden
Witch of Betrayal
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Well, everything that Blizzard touches turns to gold, so I've no doubt that the game will be a commercial success.

It's highly unlikely to kill League. Even the most well designed game probably couldn't do that, just because of the size of the playerbase and the solid pro scene.

I can't say much based on that Blizzcon video, because it's two organized teams of developers going at each other for show, without really competing. You can make any game look fun and interesting that way. An actual design challenge is to provide a good "solo-queue" experience, and I'm very curious about how that is going to turn out, what with the metagame and all.
__________________
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-11, 06:58   Link #24
Xero8420
Ashigara's master
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: A disclosed area off coast Ryuku Islands
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
Well, everything that Blizzard touches turns to gold, so I've no doubt that the game will be a commercial success.

It's highly unlikely to kill League. Even the most well designed game probably couldn't do that, just because of the size of the playerbase and the solid pro scene.

I can't say much based on that Blizzcon video, because it's two organized teams of developers going at each other for show, without really competing. You can make any game look fun and interesting that way. An actual design challenge is to provide a good "solo-queue" experience, and I'm very curious about how that is going to turn out, what with the metagame and all.
However, Blizzard chose to make a different approach for HoTS by taking the game up to the next level of MOBA game, which both LoL, HoN and DoTA never have. Which are making different maps and with different accessible stuffs to encourage more strategies, rather than doing the same old thing in a one single map in other comparable games. I won't be surprised if HoTS turns out a great success in the long-run future, even though it couldn't pummel LoL or DoTA to dust.

I think Blizzard has the ability, potential and maybe the right to create their own MOBA game. Maybe it's because of their map editor tools from both SC and WC were proven very successful in a massive degree. For this, Blizzard will become the first large, 'genuine' game company to create a MOBA game.
Xero8420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-11, 08:31   Link #25
Waven
Itadaki-nyaaa !!
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Blizzard isn't really trying to seriously compete with lol/dota. I think they realize even they couldn't take on these two behemoths at this point. This is why they, once again and rightfully so, go for the more casual approach, as they've done with most of their products lately - not to fill a niche but to appeal to the rapidly growing target group of aging gamers (25+), who don't have as much time and ability to play in a hardcore and/or competitive environment anymore but who also don't content themselves with playing facebook or strictly SP games.

In that sense, blizz might not be looking to get current active players of other mobas but those ones that either have yet to get into real contact with the genre or have become inactive with it.
Waven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-11, 11:09   Link #26
ArchmageXin
Master of Coin
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waven View Post
Blizzard isn't really trying to seriously compete with lol/dota. I think they realize even they couldn't take on these two behemoths at this point. This is why they, once again and rightfully so, go for the more casual approach, as they've done with most of their products lately - not to fill a niche but to appeal to the rapidly growing target group of aging gamers (25+), who don't have as much time and ability to play in a hardcore and/or competitive environment anymore but who also don't content themselves with playing facebook or strictly SP games.

In that sense, blizz might not be looking to get current active players of other mobas but those ones that either have yet to get into real contact with the genre or have become inactive with it.
You haven't played Blizz game long enough if you think Blizz was ever a cater of "hardcore"

Even the original Starcraft was an example of cater to the "casual". If you look at Beta SCI, the Scout fighters used to weave in and out. But Blizzard realized it will require an intense system requirement so many people has to upgrade their comp. Facing the choice of making the next "great graphic candy" like many of their competitors, SCI went low tech...and became a legend.

WoW? Completely cater to casuals compared to Everquest (I and II). In both content (no crazy hardcore corpse runs, able to solo to level cap easy), and graphics.

The whole cater to casuals is what let Blizzard win straight up all these years. Blizzard is banking on getting players into THEIR game just by being casual friendly. Right now I wouldn't bother trying to teach my girlfriend LOL because I don't want her deal with the emo fest LoL has/high learning curve. This game might just change my mind.
__________________
ArchmageXin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-11, 17:19   Link #27
RobotCat
In a Box
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Somewhere on the west coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchmageXin View Post
You haven't played Blizz game long enough if you think Blizz was ever a cater of "hardcore"

Even the original Starcraft was an example of cater to the "casual". If you look at Beta SCI, the Scout fighters used to weave in and out. But Blizzard realized it will require an intense system requirement so many people has to upgrade their comp. Facing the choice of making the next "great graphic candy" like many of their competitors, SCI went low tech...and became a legend.

WoW? Completely cater to casuals compared to Everquest (I and II). In both content (no crazy hardcore corpse runs, able to solo to level cap easy), and graphics.

The whole cater to casuals is what let Blizzard win straight up all these years. Blizzard is banking on getting players into THEIR game just by being casual friendly. Right now I wouldn't bother trying to teach my girlfriend LOL because I don't want her deal with the emo fest LoL has/high learning curve. This game might just change my mind.
Catering to casuals can also easily backfire if there's no way to lock the casual players in. It worked for WoW because of the whole time investment thing, but it didn't work out for Diablo 3 at all. They also kind of ignored the pro gaming scene with Starcraft II, especially in Korea, which is what allowed LoL to take over there.

The came can be casually accessible, but needs a level of depth akin to LoL/DOTA2 in order to attract the type of gamers would bring the game to ESports stardom.

Also, LoL and DOTA2 regularly add new heroes and rebalance. Blizzard needs to be able to do that too in order to keep up, especially if they're catering to the casual market. Hearthstone will be a good game to look at to see if they can keep it up, as it also requires at least 4 new classes a year to be interesting enough for casuals to keep up with.
RobotCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-11, 18:41   Link #28
Wigwams
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Blizz can add heroes AND new maps for HotS. they are already talking about adding heroes from older games outside their Big 3.

and did you know that blizz is already planning expansion for hearthstone even though its still in beta? crazy but thats what they said.
__________________
Wigwams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-11, 20:31   Link #29
Waven
Itadaki-nyaaa !!
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchmageXin View Post
You haven't played Blizz game long enough if you think Blizz was ever a cater of "hardcore"

Even the original Starcraft was an example of cater to the "casual". If you look at Beta SCI, the Scout fighters used to weave in and out. But Blizzard realized it will require an intense system requirement so many people has to upgrade their comp. Facing the choice of making the next "great graphic candy" like many of their competitors, SCI went low tech...and became a legend.

WoW? Completely cater to casuals compared to Everquest (I and II). In both content (no crazy hardcore corpse runs, able to solo to level cap easy), and graphics.

The whole cater to casuals is what let Blizzard win straight up all these years. Blizzard is banking on getting players into THEIR game just by being casual friendly. Right now I wouldn't bother trying to teach my girlfriend LOL because I don't want her deal with the emo fest LoL has/high learning curve. This game might just change my mind.
I don't recall claiming blizz games to have ever been hardcore compared to other games (which is your actual assumption here it seems, not my supposed lack of experience with blizz games), only that they've become more casual lately. Not sure what your point is to begin with as you seem to agree with my main argument anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobotCat View Post
Catering to casuals can also easily backfire if there's no way to lock the casual players in. It worked for WoW because of the whole time investment thing, but it didn't work out for Diablo 3 at all. They also kind of ignored the pro gaming scene with Starcraft II, especially in Korea, which is what allowed LoL to take over there.

The came can be casually accessible, but needs a level of depth akin to LoL/DOTA2 in order to attract the type of gamers would bring the game to ESports stardom.

Also, LoL and DOTA2 regularly add new heroes and rebalance. Blizzard needs to be able to do that too in order to keep up, especially if they're catering to the casual market. Hearthstone will be a good game to look at to see if they can keep it up, as it also requires at least 4 new classes a year to be interesting enough for casuals to keep up with.
It really remains to be seen if a game of this genre can survive off casuals only and blizz still is taking quite a risk with heroes.

As blizz doesn't try to compete with lol/dota2 I think they don't aspire to make heroes an esports title either.
The point is, while the esports moba market is already quite saturated, the casual side isn't yet or at least that's what blizz is counting on.
Waven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-11, 21:02   Link #30
4Tran
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Heroes of the Storm is hardly trying to compete with League of Legends or DOTA 2 at this point. Those games are too well established to take on directly unless you can offer something truly amazing. Blizzard would have to set up a Pro League if they want to be serious about this.

Right now, Heroes is designed to bring in gamers who have never played MOBA games before. And this is where the game will be either made or broken. Blizzard would have been better off releasing Heroes two years ago as there is a lot more competition now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigwams View Post
and did you know that blizz is already planning expansion for hearthstone even though its still in beta? crazy but thats what they said.
It shouldn't be surprising at all. The CCG business model is designed with quick expansions in mind, and it's common for them to start coming out within three months after the original game. What they probably did was design 5-600 cards to begin with and just split them into inital release, expansion release, and discarded piles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waven View Post
As blizz doesn't try to compete with lol/dota2 I think they don't aspire to make heroes an esports title either.
The point is, while the esports moba market is already quite saturated, the casual side isn't yet or at least that's what blizz is counting on.
I think that the eSports MOBA market is pretty open, but with League of Legends being so dominant, it's hard for anyone to compete directly.
__________________
The victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won...
4Tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-11, 22:37   Link #31
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
I don't really care about MOBA games but I'm interested to see what Blizzard is going to do for the genre. Hate them or love them, but they are very good at making games accessible for a wide range of gamers.

As for the eSport dominance, I don't think Blizzard cant compete simply because they aren't good at handling eSport themselves and yet they still maintain a firm grip on broadcasting rights of their game.

ps: stop making goddamn moba games damnit, it's a shitty genre.
__________________
Jazzrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-12, 12:22   Link #32
ArchmageXin
Master of Coin
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Trust me, as long as there is money, and a solid source of money, Esports is always open. Furthermore, unlike Starcraft, MOBA system are always running on the same principle--and it would be stupid for Pro-teams not seeking out new source of revenue.

It is like saying the NBA wouldn't be competitive because NFL is already out.
__________________
ArchmageXin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-14, 01:18   Link #33
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Age: 35
/bump

So this went Alpha today (with no NDA) Blizzard invited a select group and some randoms to play while slowly expanding the player base... so many twitch streamers atm (been ranked second most viewers on Twitch all day it seems).

Was watching TB, Crendor, Husky, Sinvictus and Chanman this morning for a few hours was great.

watching http://www.multitwitch.tv/huskystarc...nvicta/destiny atm, tis great. (can't work out who their fifth player is sadly)

The various map modes are awesome, nice variation on the genre that's for sure. Think I like the Zombie one the most, or maybe the Dragon one.
__________________
Mr Hat and Clogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-14, 01:31   Link #34
Ithekro
The Comet has Come
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 40
Well I know what they'll be talking about on next week's Co-Optional Podcast then.
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai!
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-14, 01:39   Link #35
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Age: 35
Yeah, no doubt lol.

I think it's pretty cool that the characters have so many "talents" to make up for the lack of items.

Oh, they're doing the zombie map now.
__________________
Mr Hat and Clogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-08, 21:21   Link #36
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Age: 35
Anyone watch the matches at Blizzcon? Curious how Team Low Expectations went.
__________________
Mr Hat and Clogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-08, 21:57   Link #37
Tokkan
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Australia
Age: 30
Send a message via MSN to Tokkan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hat and Clogs View Post
Anyone watch the matches at Blizzcon? Curious how Team Low Expectations went.
Low Expectations beat RocketJump 2-0. Then Crendor gave some comments about making all the big plays on the sports field.
Tokkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-08, 22:08   Link #38
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Age: 35
Oh Crendor, shooting his mouth off! /hands-on-hips-exaggerated-eye-roll
__________________
Mr Hat and Clogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-14, 21:01   Link #39
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Singapore
Age: 33
Waiting for closed beta to hit (I'm in Alpha). New maps, heroes and tune-ups.
__________________
yezhanquan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-15, 00:43   Link #40
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Age: 35
Ya, looking forward to the new stuff. Lost Vikings look crazy, doubt I'd do more than just dabble with them in Practice or Co-Op.
__________________
Mr Hat and Clogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:59.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
We use Silk.