AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2007-10-30, 10:48   Link #1
leona_senshi

Send a message via MSN to leona_senshi Send a message via Yahoo to leona_senshi
Curious about how other people see my country

Just wondering, I'm at work right now and since I work in call center in Tijuana Mexico and I dial US numers, if we get asked where we are located we normally say San Diego, but I actually I got one of those anoying calls where I had to say that I was in Tijuana and the guy just said "ohhh so are there really a lot of people that still ride donkeys??" WTF??!!
I have come across this in some cartoons even in the simpsons in the camp krusty episode where the put Tijuana as a freaken dirt town...

I really want to know how Mexico is seen thrue your eyes.
Can you tell me what's your opinion or imagine my country, I'll post another tread depending on the response.
Old 2007-10-30, 11:08   Link #2
Zero Shinohara
I'll keep walking.
*Artist

Send a message via MSN to Zero Shinohara
Well, you'll always find stupid people anywhere you go, and I don't think you should put everyone in the same category for an incident or two. Heck, I had that happen to me all the time back in my own country, just because I was from the northmost part where it's still isolated from the rest of the world and in the middle of the rainforest. People from the most industrialized and "important" regions would always come to me and ask "what? you were born there? I thought only indians live there... " or "Do you guys see any naked indians running around the streets?" and things of the sort. And what's even more frightening is that those weren't out of a strange desire to annoy me either - they were out of utter ignorance.

If you want me to be sincere with you, Mexico isn't in the list of the countries I want to visit the most. Of course there're a number of beautiful scenery and I'd really love to visit places like Machu Picchu - but because the cultures in most central and south-american countries share a lot of similarities, I can say I'm pretty much neutral on the subject.

Sometimes I look back and think to myself, "how the hell did I manage to screw this up?"
Zero Shinohara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-30, 11:32   Link #3
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

You mean like, "Mexico? That's where the water is undrinkable, everyone has crossed the border to Texas sometime in their life, and they wear Lucha Libre masks with sombrero hats while dining on tacos and fajitas after a day of playing soccer, right?"

Hey, majority of Americans, especially in the south, can't even distinguish between arabian and Indian cultures, or know that Japan, Korea, and China are all diffrent nations. Don't expect too much.
Old 2007-10-30, 11:38   Link #4
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
There's a media image about Tijuana, specifically, that portrays it, as you said, as a "dirt town". Really, that's about the only image most people have about the entirety of Mexico (aside from resort towns for tourists and pensioners). The only thing most people know about Mexico is what little they've seen on movies and television, and that can usually be summed up with "dirt, sombreros, adobe houses, contaminated water, corrupt police and politicians, and very misleading ideas about Mexican food".

Unfortunately, many people have trouble grasping what the rest of the world can be like. It's not always their fault, it's just a lack of information. Without the experience to teach them better, most people will make assumptions based on what little knowledge they have.

I've been in large American cities, in shanty-towns in a Guatemala garbage dump, and a fair amount of places in between. The only thing that's taught me is that you can never assume, because no matter how good your guess is, it could be wrong--and some one could be offended, no matter how reasonable your deduction was.

Of course, Sturgeon's Law also holds true: Ninety percent of everything is crap, so even if most of the last 10% of reasonable people are understandably ignorant, the other 90% is, in fact, comprised of rude idiots.
Kyuusai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-30, 11:43   Link #5
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Well, living in Latin America myself, I can understand and share your gripe. I've heard countless times people (Americans especially) who, for some reason, seem to believe Buenos Aires is the capital of Brazil... and that we live in a jungle or something like that. Now, I know not every American is like that, but I've had my fair share of them.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-30, 11:44   Link #6
SeedFreedom
Hina is my goddess
*Graphic Designer

hey some people still think we Canadians live in igloos so don't feel too bad

but ya, i agree the portrayal of mexico is dirty and poor. mostly from TV. im pretty sure this is not very accurate and i hope you aren't offended, but this was the impression i got from the media and you did ask for our opinions.
SeedFreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-30, 11:46   Link #7
Zero Shinohara
I'll keep walking.
*Artist

Send a message via MSN to Zero Shinohara
Quote:
Hey, majority of Americans, especially in the south, can't even distinguish between arabian and Indian cultures, or know that Japan, Korea, and China are all diffrent nations. Don't expect too much.
Haha, as much as that's an offensive comment and, being the proudly-American bastard that I am, would get me quite worked up in a less-obvious situation... I have to agree. Though I think that we're slowly moving away from that mentality, there's a new breed of geographically-challenged assholes coming out of our high schools every semester. I mean, I can NEVER forget the fact that my mom's 29-year-old co-worker had never even HEARD about Condoleezza Rice. I can't say it's not something that has been slowly fermented by the hidden powers of the world that just wish we were all so easy to control, but that's another topic that shouldn't be discussed here.

Sometimes I look back and think to myself, "how the hell did I manage to screw this up?"
Zero Shinohara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-30, 11:53   Link #8
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Oh, and something else to add. With everything being said, I'm sure most people from third world countries know more about US geography than Americans know about the third world countries' geography. It's not something necessarily bad, it's just a consequence of the unequalness of the "globalization" process.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-30, 11:56   Link #9
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Here is how i see Mexico in general. if this offends you just remeber you ask.

- The police are either corrupt or ineffective.
- The government is a hypocrite on illegal immigration. Calling out the US for cracking down on illegal immigrants at the same time treating illegal immigrants in Mexico much worst then the US treat illegal immigrants.
- a country of extreme. On one hand you have a extremely rich upper class and a very large mass of poor on the bottom. Very few in the middle.
- Seems there is a lot of resentment toward the US and a tendency to blame Mexico's problem toward the US and its policies. Whether or not it is the US fault.
Old 2007-10-30, 12:02   Link #10
Hotaru Suzume
Ten oorlog!
*Artist

I don't know anything viable about your country, but I assume Mexico is like Brasil; where the poor are treated badly and the rich have everything.
Hotaru Suzume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-30, 12:24   Link #11
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
Oh, and something else to add. With everything being said, I'm sure most people from third world countries know more about US geography than Americans know about the third world countries' geography. It's not something necessarily bad, it's just a consequence of the unequalness of the "globalization" process.
This reminds me of the fool's world map.
Old 2007-10-30, 12:36   Link #12
nanafan
horo fan

i have been to mexico once, for a mission trip in sombrette. from what i saw there really is no middle class people are either rich or poor. but when i was there it was nice you could say hi to people and they would say hi back. it was beautiful where we were. the people we met have a lot less than we do, but they are so happy, i wish i was like that and be appreciative of what i have.
nanafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-30, 12:46   Link #13
Thingle
Banned

mexico... makers of those passionate soap operas?
Thingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-30, 13:20   Link #14
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
This reminds me of the fool's world map.
That reminds me of these:

As a USian, I find these hilarious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thingle View Post
mexico... makers of those passionate soap operas?
Hahaha! I forgot to mention the one other major media representation Mexico has in the US: variety shows and telenovelas!
Kyuusai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-30, 13:22   Link #15
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
well thats stereotyping for ya

funny how the first image that comes into my head when i think mexico is "tumbleweeds"

@ maps...its funny because some actually think so...XD

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-30, 13:35   Link #16
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Mexico (and by connection Tijuana) is catching a lot of ire from Average Joe USA because all they get is soundbites rather than any actual analysis by the news media and the politicians.

Mexico does have some basic issues:
1) over-concentration of wealth into a few powerful families; this drives a fair amount of corruption as well as sustain an economically polarized population with not much of a middle class -- America is showing some trend towards this condition (ouch).
2) inept/corrupt legal and law enforcement system -- of course, I could say the same about America but Mexico seems to have a more endemic problem.
3) desire for a better life drives many people over the border to the US. American Joe Average foolishly blames the people themselves rather than the Mexican government, political, and economic woes --- or our own politicians who fail to address the subject for short-term political gain or because they're bought and paid for by corporate interests who profit from the the low-pay the immigrants are willing to work for.
4) Illegals sometimes earn a bit of annoyance by failing to integrate; learn the language, drop a few customs that don't play well, and allowing their youth to "gang" up. This has been true in varying degrees of many migrant groups entering the US over history and tends to vanish once the cultures re-establish some equilibrium. The trick is to avoid isolation.

Call Centers like the one you (the OP) work at actually help to mitigate problem 1 and reduce the pressure for people to seek work in the US (problem 3). Creating an economic structure in Mexico where the middle class is the largest group rather than the smallest group would pretty much eliminate most of the problems people see.

Basically, your caller was an uninformed idiot -- which all countries have in spades but it just sometimes seems that the more "righteous, stringent, extreme" countries have an extra helping of
Its okay, when I remark I was born in Texas, people want to know where my hats and boots are and how many acres my cattle run on. They also wonder where my accent is (only revealed by beer these days). Or since I live in Oregon now they look for my Birkenstocks and hippy beads. Most stereotypes are based on some small measure of truth.... the tourist guides for Tijuana do picture donkeys and sombreros after all

I know more than a few New Yorkers that picture the US as (LA>--->vast unkempt cultureless heathens and tumbleweeds, flyover dead zone>-->New York)
Old 2007-10-30, 13:41   Link #17
l3lueMage
愛してる^^

I see Mexico as a sort of more messy country for some reason '-' like trash onthe ground? D: But then also those super rich places along the coasts and stuff D: All stereo type and I can only go by stereotype since I have never been there...But I do know you guys have cars XDD so ya
l3lueMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-30, 13:47   Link #18
Thrasher187
Spellcaster
*Artist

Send a message via AIM to Thrasher187
You want MY opinion? Okaaay...

I see Mexico as an interesting country with lots of great scenery (apart from the "dirt towns"). Yet, the government there is corrupt, which is why so many ppl illegally immigrate to the US. Bringing drugs with them while they're at it.
Thrasher187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-30, 14:08   Link #19
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
You mean like, "Mexico? That's where the water is undrinkable, everyone has crossed the border to Texas sometime in their life, and they wear Lucha Libre masks with sombrero hats while dining on tacos and fajitas after a day of playing soccer, right?"

I agree with you and especially being Korean, first of all people would either think I am Chinese and when I do say that I am a Korean they would say " are you south or north" That question annoys me so much . And looking at those map sometimes I think it's really sad that that's how some people actually think of the world.

Though it's kinda a off topic this video shows how ignorant some people in the US are, I am not saying all Americans are stupid, since I know many smart Americans.
Spoiler:
Old 2007-10-30, 15:12   Link #20
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leona_senshi View Post
I really want to know how Mexico is seen thrue your eyes.
Can you tell me what's your opinion or imagine my country, I'll post another tread depending on the response.
Another thing you may want to consider is how other Mexicans view Tijuana in general. The media doesn't exactly focus on the good points, wich makes other Mexicans wonder how safe the place actually is.

And yes, my city is a mess as well; Record breaking crime rates, Ever growing distrust for the goverment, etc, etc, etc. >_< !

In the end, we just need to go on with our lives trying to make our share so that things improve eventually........... I mean, things just can't get any worse, right!?