Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-11-06, 00:53   Link #1
Dagger
Nitro+ fan

Munto TV series

Official site
ANN source

KyoAni's first original TV series? I liked the Munto OVAs a lot more than most people, so I'm quite looking forward to this.
Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-06, 00:57   Link #2
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

... It'd seem KyoAni really takes a sadistic pleasure in teasing both Suzumiya Haruhi and FMP fans

On the other hand, it will be interesting to see KyoAni doing an original work in full force. Their reputation at making adaptations has long been established and recognized, let's see how well they fare with their own brainchild.

I've only watched the first Munto OVA, and while the concept wasn't bad, it barely had any execution time (it was only one OVA after all) so we only got but a glimpse of its possibilities... but the potential is there.

Last edited by Proto; 2008-11-06 at 01:18.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-06, 03:24   Link #3
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto
... It'd seem KyoAni really takes a sadistic pleasure in teasing both Suzumiya Haruhi and FMP fans
Lol.

At this rate, Obama is gonna get re-elected before Haruhi 2 actually airs.

Last edited by Daniel E.; 2008-11-06 at 03:41.
Daniel E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-06, 03:45   Link #4
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
This just in, Munto TV has been cancelled.

Just kidding...or am I?

What I find funny though is that all people seem to be doing so far about this announcement is complaining. I mean look, if this actually goes through without a cancellation then it's finally the moment I've been waiting for for the past 3 years. To finally see Kyoto Animation do an original in house TV series. Like I understand that Haruhi and FMP are popular and all, but it's nobody's call but the studio heads. All I can hope is that they don't kowtow to pressure to scuttle the product for another Key adaptation or the next Haruhi season. Something tells me they really aren't interested in doing Haruhi and FMP at the moment, and you know what, I am so ok with that. Plus I love the fantasy genre anyway so well........
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-06, 04:13   Link #5
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
What I find funny though is that all people seem to be doing so far about this announcement is complaining.
Well, for what it's worth it, I wasn't really complaining and was simply joking and replying to Proto's comment. I really don't mind if Kyo-Ani decides to put Haruhi in the freezer because of this title.

Mind you, I am quite curious about this show and look forward to know more about it as times goes on.
Old 2008-11-06, 04:28   Link #6
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel E. View Post
Well, for what it's worth it, I wasn't really complaining and was simply joking and replying to Proto's comment. I really don't mind if Kyo-Ani decides to put Haruhi in the freezer because of this title.

Mind you, I am quite curious about this show and look forward to know more about it as times goes on.
No no, elsewhere I mean.
Old 2008-11-06, 06:44   Link #7
FireChick

I wonder if the original seiyuus are gonna come back?
FireChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-06, 07:38   Link #8
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
This just in, Munto TV has been cancelled.

Just kidding...or am I?

What I find funny though is that all people seem to be doing so far about this announcement is complaining. I mean look, if this actually goes through without a cancellation then it's finally the moment I've been waiting for for the past 3 years. To finally see Kyoto Animation do an original in house TV series. Like I understand that Haruhi and FMP are popular and all, but it's nobody's call but the studio heads. All I can hope is that they don't kowtow to pressure to scuttle the product for another Key adaptation or the next Haruhi season. Something tells me they really aren't interested in doing Haruhi and FMP at the moment, and you know what, I am so ok with that. Plus I love the fantasy genre anyway so well........
Oh come on... You use to complain all the time. Remember when you said KyoAni isn't REALLY a Studio because they mostly do adaptations? That they didn't do FMP or Haruhi REALLY, because they didn't come up with the original script?

You are calmer now, but don't think we've forgotten, Kaioshin-chan.
Old 2008-11-06, 07:39   Link #9
Choushinsei

The OVAs were quite average, there was nothing really special about them, and I hope the storyline of the TV series will be more interesting. It's good to see Kyoani doing something else (and not another Key/FMP series), but an interesting manga/light novel/game adaption would make me more enthusiastic.
Choushinsei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-06, 07:46   Link #10
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choushinsei View Post
The OVAs were quite average, there was nothing really special about them, and I hope the storyline of the TV series will be more interesting. It's good to see Kyoani doing something else (and not another Key/FMP series), but an interesting manga/light novel/game adaption would make me more enthusiastic.
Hey hey hey... more FMP has been LONG overdue. You can talk about KEY saturation all you like, but FMP fans are still sobbing in the corner and being ignored all this time.
Old 2008-11-06, 11:03   Link #11
Jarmel

I'm curious as to why they did this now. I can understand Full Metal Panic as they want the novels to finish first(although someone just saying that they are going to do another series later would go a long way). They announced Haruhi though in June and it's still not going to broadcasting. Instead they are remaking what is viewed ( it seems by alot of people) as a mediocre series. I wonder if they are having those supposed production problems with Haruhi? Either that or they really loved the series and decided why not, we have the money and skills now.

However I think they should release an announcement stating air date of Haruhi or announcement of new FMP series down the road otherwise I think alot of people will be pissed.

I do think it's kinda cool that they are doing an original work, though it doesn't really sound that interesting.
Jarmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-06, 11:35   Link #12
ZODDGUTS

Don't mind this is getting a series so I'm looking forward to seeing it.
ZODDGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-06, 13:30   Link #13
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarmel View Post
However I think they should release an announcement stating air date of Haruhi or announcement of new FMP series down the road otherwise I think alot of people will be pissed.
Psssh, like they will. Haruhi is still making a hell of a lot of money right now. Why EVER release a sequel? Why EVER release the 10th novel?

I guess we'll have to wait for the 10th before we can find out Munto TV's air date, though. Definitely next spring, since only their Key adaptations air in fall.

Does this mean Little Busters next fall? How awesome.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-06, 15:05   Link #14
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Oh come on... You use to complain all the time. Remember when you said KyoAni isn't REALLY a Studio because they mostly do adaptations? That they didn't do FMP or Haruhi REALLY, because they didn't come up with the original script?

You are calmer now, but don't think we've forgotten, Kaioshin-chan.
Yeah.....well just don't think I'm going to go die hard or anything. I've just moved towards the centre in the past year or so.

I'm wondering if Kyoto Animation's licence to animate another FMP anime has expired or if they are going to let it go to someone else or what. I mean they did grab it from Gonzo so it's possible that they lost the licence too over time. Personally I never really found FMP to be all that great nor Fumoffu really all that funny beyond chuckle inducing and the first TV series was by far my favourite, but then again that was also back when Gonzo wasn't on this B-Anime stint. In any case I'm not in any rush to see another one as my mecha needs are being more than satisfied as of late.
Old 2008-11-06, 19:33   Link #15
brocko

I've been meaning to watch the OVA's for quite some time, but i think I'll just hold out for the TV series now. I've no idea what Munto is about and it'd probably be better if it stayed that way going into the TV series, makes the show more unexpected and interesting i guess lol =P

http://www.freerice.com/ - For each word you get right, 10 grains of rice is donated through the UN to help end world hunger.
brocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-06, 20:28   Link #16
rg4619

Quote:
I'm wondering if Kyoto Animation's licence to animate another FMP anime has expired or if they are going to let it go to someone else or what.
I'm not sure if it works that way. Kadokawa Shoten holds these rights (it's different with Munto since KyoAni developed the property themselves), so the onus is on them to draw up a contract with a production studio when/if they want to continue the series.

IMO, there's little incentive for Kyoto Animation to take on another season of FMP since it sells way short of any other adaptation they've worked on. But you never know.
rg4619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-06, 22:29   Link #17
cicido
I'm so moe I kill myself
*Artist

This seems interesting, as long as it doesn't get canceled within a month.

I heard the original OVA wasn't that successful, is that true?
cicido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-07, 02:30   Link #18
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rg4619 View Post
I'm not sure if it works that way. Kadokawa Shoten holds these rights (it's different with Munto since KyoAni developed the property themselves), so the onus is on them to draw up a contract with a production studio when/if they want to continue the series.

IMO, there's little incentive for Kyoto Animation to take on another season of FMP since it sells way short of any other adaptation they've worked on. But you never know.
No Kadokawa Shoten holds the copyright privileges, Kyoto Animation had the license to make an anime version of the light novel. The onus would actually be on Kyoani in this case to come to Kadokawa Shoten and negotiate a licensing fee so that they could make another season if it indeed expired. I don't know if they purchased it for a certain amount of time or a certain amount of episodes so they might have actually already run out the license when they finished Second Raid and didn't bother to renew it.
Old 2008-11-07, 07:31   Link #19
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
No Kadokawa Shoten holds the copyright privileges, Kyoto Animation had the license to make an anime version of the light novel. The onus would actually be on Kyoani in this case to come to Kadokawa Shoten and negotiate a licensing fee so that they could make another season if it indeed expired. I don't know if they purchased it for a certain amount of time or a certain amount of episodes so they might have actually already run out the license when they finished Second Raid and didn't bother to renew it.
My understanding is that the license would be per-series. KyoAni couldn't make 30 separate TV series on FMP without negotiating rights with Kadokawa for each and every one of them, one at a time.
Old 2008-11-07, 08:20   Link #20
Jarmel

The problem I have with that is that it takes less than five minutes to say that they have no interest in in FMP sequel and that someone else can animate it.
Jarmel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantasy