Unfortunately it doesn't blend.

Remember people the secret for easy blending is:
  • put all your junk in a group
  • set the group blending from the default Pass Though to Normal
  • work only in the group
Old 2011-12-14, 16:42   Link #22
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

My first try, using a original girl from goto-p and a picture from arsenixc was used for the background:

C&C would be welcome
Old 2011-12-14, 17:55   Link #23
blaze0041
a.k.a. Flammenkrieg
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
My first try, using a original girl from goto-p and a picture from arsenixc was used for the background:

C&C would be welcome
Overall, I love it! However, that text is bit too far off to the right, so it feels a little disconnected compared to the rest of the banner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by papermario13689 View Post
One question as well, I'm assuming any additional text aside from the forum name isn't recommended? I didn't see it in the rules so I thought I should ask.
I believe I asked this question before in the last contest. The general consensus was "no, don't put any additional text".
Old 2011-12-14, 17:59   Link #24
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaze0041 View Post
I believe I asked this question before in the last contest. The general consensus was "no, don't put any additional text".
Fair enough, I actually think it'll look bad no matter how you position any additional text anyways. xD
Old 2011-12-14, 18:10   Link #25
Ryonea
Smiling beauty
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bila View Post
Well tried something very fast here, i liked the result nway

well how it is ~
Source: Kantoku, http://www.zerochan.net/779828
Nice! I think it would be better to balance the visibility of the character and the text. The character seemed to be quite transparent compared to the text.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post

C&C would be welcome
I like how you blend the background very nicely with the gradient pretty much the same as blaze0041 said, the text should be more centered.

Quote:
Just one thing, did you use Photoshop's noise feature to make the background snow? I was playing around with that and didn't like the occasional funny shape that kept popping up.
Well, an alternative is that you can use a white rounded brushes (soft-edged) with different diameters
Old 2011-12-14, 18:14   Link #26
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Does this fit the theme?

source: http://i.imgur.com/1I9Tk.jpg

Wish we were allowed to submit custom cicada gradients. :'( Gradients make it awkward to have a background.

Preview
- gray
- ugly blue
Old 2011-12-14, 20:01   Link #27
Bila
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Okay, well, I'm totally biased because it's one of my favourite characters by one of my favourite artists (I have that artbook ), but I like it. The only thing I wonder is what might happen if you move Corti down a few pixels, and slightly less glow/brightnesss. The dot outline on the left is a tiny bit off, and the pink flower outline near the bottom to the left of Corti doesn't quite work for me (it blends out so it kind of looks like a loose thread). All in all though these are just minor tweaks; I like the composition and the font for the logo. (Though I guess technically it's "AnimeSuki" with a capital S, but nobody's ever been consistent on that before, so probably doesn't matter.)
Oh thanks ~, it is the same char of your avatar? because it dosent like kontoku art for me, but nway i will try do some other version yesterday, because i did it in a total hurry, and for the S in a capital letter, well the font that in using, optimmus price, dosent have capital letters just one type, but i can try raising the font size.

Quote:
Quite nice! I like how the red counterbalances the white and the blue of the gradient/snow. Just one thing, did you use Photoshop's noise feature to make the background snow? I was playing around with that and didn't like the occasional funny shape that kept popping up.
Thanks too ^^
for the snow flakes i used a brush, that is in somekind of 3d naturaly, so i just used the brush, sorry for that >:
Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
@Bila

Unfortunately it doesn't blend.

Remember people the secret for easy blending is:
  • put all your junk in a group
  • set the group blending from the default Pass Though to Normal
  • work only in the group
Thanks for the tip, and yeah it have a very invisible line in one of the coners that i just noticed now >.> going' to post a better ver tommorow.

@Felix and ganbaru: the tipho is very off, since it is a banner i think that the forum name could be more in focus, because with a horrible tipo could ruin a divine work, so try work better with that, but nway the two are good ~
Old 2011-12-14, 21:17   Link #28
blaze0041
a.k.a. Flammenkrieg
*IT Support

Quote:
Fair enough, I actually think it'll look bad no matter how you position any additional text anyways. xD
Actually, now that I think about it, there was one banner featuring the Big Dango Family that had "AnimeSuki Forums" in both English and Japanese (albeit that the Japanese text was more less part of the background). That one looked simple and good.
Old 2011-12-14, 21:23   Link #29
Mr. Wang
Scholar of Yanderes
*Author

Send a message via Yahoo to Mr. Wang
On one hand, I'm really excited for this new season's banner contest. I was giddily happy to see whenever my own banner (the one with Remilia, in front of red leaves) was atop the site's page. I feel pumped up to get this next contest underway. I'll be sure to see what I can do this month.

Now, I have a question: It was said that holidays don't count towards this current season's theme, but is it still okay to actually have certain Christmas and other similar elements within a banner? For example, a banner in itself may have winter elements that qualify for the theme, but also happen to have Christmas elements in there too.
Old 2011-12-14, 21:31   Link #30
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wang View Post
Now, I have a question: It was said that holidays don't count towards this current season's theme, but is it still okay to actually have certain Christmas and other similar elements within a banner? For example, a banner in itself may have winter elements that qualify for the theme, but also happen to have Christmas elements in there too.
We'd prefer if it isn't anything too "Christmas-ey" because we'd like for it to not look too dated all the way to March. So I guess it depends on what the "Christmas elements" are... but the preference is just "winter".
Old 2011-12-14, 22:14   Link #31
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel E. View Post
Yes, you can ask someone to work on your idea. This certain someone has to be a member of this forum, though.
And would that banner be considered a co-submission, or just my personal submission?
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-14, 22:48   Link #32
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
And would that banner be considered a co-submission, or just my personal submission?
I would think that's something the two of you would work out. Any sane person will probably want a co-submission though.
Old 2011-12-14, 23:11   Link #33
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
I would prefer if the creator himself/herself would be the one posting it; being him/her the one including your name in the post. If the two of you work on the banner, then feel free to post it as a co-submission including both names.

Last edited by Daniel E.; 2011-12-14 at 23:38.
Daniel E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-15, 03:26   Link #34
Green²
It's bacon!

v0.9.2 - backgroundnoiccprofile.png gradient
Spoiler for Previous Versions:
Animation: C³ - Cube x Cursed x Curious
Character: Kuroe
Source: http://chan.sankakucomplex.com/post/show/1175147 (NSFW banners)
Preview v0.9.2:
AnimeSuki Default
AnimeSuki Blue
Spoiler for Previous Version Previews:

Last edited by Green²; 2011-12-15 at 13:25. Reason: v0.9.2
Green² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-15, 05:23   Link #35
Green²
It's bacon!

The provided gradient is cursed!

Windows / Firefox:

Ubuntu / Firefox:
Old 2011-12-15, 06:02   Link #36
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

It's not a curse, it's called embeded profiles.

Basically they allow for colors to be tweaked on the fly to adjust for the target system.
Old 2011-12-15, 06:33   Link #37
Green²
It's bacon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
It's not a curse, it's called embeded profiles.

Basically they allow for colors to be tweaked on the fly to adjust for the target system.

Curious...
Old 2011-12-15, 06:35   Link #38
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Yes I dropped the profile too. The gradient shouldn't have a profile.
Old 2011-12-15, 07:08   Link #39
blaze0041
a.k.a. Flammenkrieg
*IT Support

I'm at a bit of a loss at the moment... For some reason, winter brings to mind kimonos, perhaps symbolic of what Japanese people might wear when welcoming the new year . I can't decide on which one of the following pictures to use as the main art in the banner. Could I get some help deciding?
(NB: I will, of course, add a winter style background in the banner. The last one is official art)
Yui Hirasawa (K-On!)
I've actually already managed to remove the background for this one. Perhaps the one I'm most likely to use.
Vincent Alzey, Sophia Forrester, Alex Row (Last Exile)
I quite liked this series- though in all honesty, I kinda wished there was a bit more art of the second series that started its broadcast this year.
A picture of Dio might be a good alternative.
Haruhi Suzumiya
(Link goes to Danbooru, may contain NSFW content, proceed at your own risk)
People don't do goldfish scooping at new year festivals, do they?
Old 2011-12-15, 07:13   Link #40
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaze0041 View Post
I'm at a bit of a loss at the moment... For some reason, winter brings to mind kimonos, perhaps symbolic of what Japanese people might wear when welcoming the new year . I can't decide on which one of the following pictures to use as the main art in the banner. Could I get some help deciding?
(NB: I will, of course, add a winter style background in the banner. The last one is official art)
Yui Hirasawa (K-On!)
I've actually already managed to remove the background for this one. Perhaps the one I'm most likely to use.
Vincent Alzey, Sophia Forrester, Alex Row (Last Exile)
I quite liked this series- though in all honesty, I kinda wished there was a bit more art of the second series that started its broadcast this year.
A picture of Dio might be a good alternative.
Haruhi Suzumiya
(Link goes to Danbooru, may contain NSFW content, proceed at your own risk)
People don't do goldfish scooping at new year festivals, do they?
That Yui image is one complicated cutout. If you've removed the background already, I'd definitely go with that one. I also think it would fit with the given gradient the best.

Tags
banner contest