AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Code Geass

Notices

Old 2010-05-16, 20:46   Link #1641
Arbitres
Disabled By Request

If you lose something and unwilling to go on then...

Spoiler for Not everyone will like this, open with the knowledge you may not like it.:

Shirley was in love with Lelouch, genuinely and truly. Though there will always be arguments about her role to Lelouch or even the story for that matter, I can sufficiently say she existed. On that, I think it would be fair to say she was one of the main causes of the end.

I'm not holding her responsible, that would be senseless and ignorant. It's just her death had an adverse effect on Lelouch, which added another weight to his diminishing mentality.
Arbitres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-16, 22:28   Link #1642
azul120

The Turn 19 betrayal was the straw that broke the camel's back.

Lelouch didn't just lose something, he lost damn near anything. If emotional trauma were comparable to bodily harm, he'd be Wile E. Coyote. On top of that, he was still only a teen who for years had no real parental figures to confide in.

Last edited by azul120; 2010-05-16 at 23:01.
azul120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-17, 01:27   Link #1643
Nobodyman9
Banned

Shirley? Normal? Hmm...well, I suppose she certainly is more "normal" compared to most of the other characters on the show, but then again she's not dull as dirt either.

I mean, yes, she is just a regular school girl, so she's not about to dabble into politics or rage into the battlefield, but she does have a certain distinctness and vibrance. She certainly does have a cheerful and bubbly personality, which makes her a very likeable character (arguably).

Of course, it is this "normalcy" that sort of defines her character in relationship to Lelouch. I believe Shirley represented a kind of "normal" or happy life that Lelouch could have had. No, she's not brazen like Kallen or mysterious like C.C., but there ain't nothin' wrong with wanting wanting a simple happy life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogitsune View Post
More "innocent" than Euphie? I think that's debatable. However, those two certainly get the cake.
I'm interested to hear your reasons for thinking so.

Of course, innocence is a hard thing to measure. One could say that Euphie is less innocent because she's been more exposed the politics and questionable methods of the Britannian elite. However, one could also say this makes her more innocent since she was able to maintain her ideals despite all that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbitres View Post
If you lose something and unwilling to go on then...

Spoiler for Not everyone will like this, open with the knowledge you may not like it.:
I suppose you're saying that in regard to Mrs. Fennette? Well, I've always been a fond believer in the idea that as long as you're alive there's always hope and there's always tomorrow. But what Mrs. Fennette went through...well, I must say that would test even my beliefs.

Of course, we're not saying that she should commit suicide, we're saying that it would probably be a kindness if she was just mercifully killed off in the FLEIJA blast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azul120 View Post
On top of that, he was still only a teen who for years had no real parental figures to confide in.
Or any real figure to confide in for that matter.

Anyway, bringing this over from the Image Thread.

Waddy'all think? Yay or nay? Personally, I'm glad they ultimately settled on Shirley's beautiful orange hair (the red uniform would've been nice though).
Nobodyman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-17, 03:20   Link #1644
Sol Falling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobodyman9 View Post

Waddy'all think? Yay or nay? Personally, I'm glad they ultimately settled on Shirley's beautiful orange hair (the red uniform would've been nice though).
I've seen that image before...I'd always been curious as to whether that is some photoshopped/recoloured pic or an actual other colour scheme for Shirley. Frankly speaking though, yeah I agree the orange hair/green eyes are way better. It's pretty much not even a contest, on account of the Shirley we thankfully did recieve simply being so damn pretty .
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-17, 06:13   Link #1645
Ten-Go

Quote:
Shirley with this type of hair looks like evil inside. If they would have decided to implement her in the series like this - no chances for Rolo to survive an encounter with her.
Ten-Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-17, 08:54   Link #1646
Paladinoras
Pancakes

Quote:
Shirley? Normal? Hmm...well, I suppose she certainly is more "normal" compared to most of the other characters on the show, but then again she's not dull as dirt either.

I mean, yes, she is just a regular school girl, so she's not about to dabble into politics or rage into the battlefield, but she does have a certain distinctness and vibrance. She certainly does have a cheerful and bubbly personality, which makes her a very likeable character (arguably).

Of course, it is this "normalcy" that sort of defines her character in relationship to Lelouch. I believe Shirley represented a kind of "normal" or happy life that Lelouch could have had. No, she's not brazen like Kallen or mysterious like C.C., but there ain't nothin' wrong with wanting wanting a simple happy life.

Of course, innocence is a hard thing to measure. One could say that Euphie is less innocent because she's been more exposed the politics and questionable methods of the Britannian elite. However, one could also say this makes her more innocent since she was able to maintain her ideals despite all that.

I suppose you're saying that in regard to Mrs. Fennette? Well, I've always been a fond believer in the idea that as long as you're alive there's always hope and there's always tomorrow. But what Mrs. Fennette went through...well, I must say that would test even my beliefs.

Of course, we're not saying that she should commit suicide, we're saying that it would probably be a kindness if she was just mercifully killed off in the FLEIJA blast.

Or any real figure to confide in for that matter.

No way.

Orange FTW

Credit to Godlike1889 for the sig!
Paladinoras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-17, 18:52   Link #1647
Betteroffer

I'm also in the camp that prefers her final version. I enjoy the calmer colors they used for her as she comes of as earthy, and gentle. Deep blue and red together would feel too much like each color was trying to pull my attention to it, while her final version has more a sense of the cream yellow uniform being a "quiter" color that allows attention to drift to her hair, which similarly doesn't force attention to itself.

Her final colors make me think of evening or dawn for some reason. Maybe something to do with transition, but I don;t know why.
Betteroffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-17, 18:58   Link #1648
Nogitsune
Shameless Fangirl

Quote:

I don't think I have much to add to that, except maybe that thanks to Lelouch, Shirley was also exposed to the less pretty side of life. In fact, she actually attempted to kill someone - to save the one she loved, but still; and then there was the Mao thing. I don't necessarily deem one more "innocent" than the other, but I think they are innocent in different ways.

Hm, this reminds me of little!Euphie's line about how she wants to create a world in which everyone can "live happily ever after". Is it just me, or is Stage 0.884 full of tragic irony?

Quote:

I... thought I was looking at Marianne there for a second (I blame the lack of sleep!).
So... yeah. xD
Old 2010-05-17, 21:05   Link #1649
Har0

Shirley does look a bit like Marianne with black hair. That adds to why I believe the orange hair is way better.
Har0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-17, 21:45   Link #1650
Nobodyman9
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogitsune View Post
I don't think I have much to add to that, except maybe that thanks to Lelouch, Shirley was also exposed to the less pretty side of life. In fact, she actually attempted to kill someone - to save the one she loved, but still; and then there was the Mao thing. I don't necessarily deem one more "innocent" than the other, but I think they are innocent in different ways.
Sounds fair to me.

Quote:
Hm, this reminds me of little!Euphie's line about how she wants to create a world in which everyone can "live happily ever after". Is it just me, or is Stage 0.884 full of tragic irony?
It ain't just Stage 0.884, it's the whole damn show.

Quote:
I... thought I was looking at Marianne there for a second (I blame the lack of sleep!).
So... yeah. xD
LOL. Marianne. Hadn't thought of that. All the more reason for Lelouch to have an attraction to her (if she ultimately did have that hair color).
Old 2010-05-19, 12:14   Link #1651
Paladinoras
Pancakes

...I wouldn't date someone who reminded me of my mom.

Credit to Godlike1889 for the sig!
Paladinoras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-19, 12:59   Link #1652
Arbitres
Disabled By Request

Quote:
there was the Mao thing
I dubbed it "The Mao-encholy of Shirley Fenette"... Do you not like the name?

Quote:
And if your mother reminded you of Kallen?
Old 2010-05-19, 13:04   Link #1653
Kittenlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladinoras View Post
Lelouch has issues.

Plus, apparently people are attracted to people who remind them of their parents. I know there's been loads of studies of that kind of thing. It's also really common for seperated siblings to become attracted to each other.

Y'know, for some strange reason I've always loved Lelouch/Euphemia and Suzaku/Shirley more than the real way round. Weird. Cute though.
Kittenlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-19, 14:06   Link #1654
Nobodyman9
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladinoras View Post
No, perhaps you wouldn't, but Lelouch might. Have you forgotten Lelouch's borderline Oedipus complex?

BTW, that's the concept you were referring to Kittenlady.
Old 2010-05-19, 14:12   Link #1655
Arbitres
Disabled By Request

I for one think Shirley would be a great mom. I'd personally love to date a great mother... Wait that isn't what I meant to say. I meant to say I would date someone with the potential and kindness to be a mother.

Though Shirley is awfully forgiving. Sometimes a mother needs to be strict... So who would be the father?... Lelouch or Rai?

Since I pair everything with Rai (Naoto x Rai, Kallen x Rai, Tamaki x Rai, Jeremiah x Rai, Lelouch x Rai... you get the idea) I'll say Lelouch on this one.

Even for all his mistakes he did unto he, she still forgave him.

That takes balls, if I have to be less eloquent about it.
Old 2010-05-19, 14:52   Link #1656
dec4rhapsody
*frustrated*

Location: Glorious Fire Wall-Hmm, I hate my government more than you do.
Send a message via MSN to dec4rhapsody
@Paladinoras
I have always been under the impression that guys especially look for girls who resemble their mum.

@Arbitres
It's weird that I never have problems to turn into a complete and freakish self-insert sue when playing renai games whose main character is...male and never saw Rai as a "character" because of that. In LC, it's always ME/Kallen, ME/Shirley, ME/Milly, strange enough I never tried out the guys' routes albeit being totally rotten inside while proclaiming being 100% for het.

@Kittenlady
I do understand. Lelouch/Euphie is damn cute, and Suza/Shirley have their accident scene XD.
Old 2010-05-19, 16:46   Link #1657
ginran
~Smile~

Quote:
I like her with orange hair and green eyes~ Of course, I probably would've ended up liking this design too, but I think what they ended up choosing suits her best.

I've seen a pic of her in this pose with the right colors, but it was in an AMV and I've never been able to find the whole thing(in good quality). I think it was also released in an artbook...but I can't find it. Her pose is so cute, I really want it with the right colors! XD

Thanks to Yuka-Chan for the sig!
ginran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-19, 18:49   Link #1658
Lost Cause

Give me the orange haired angel with green eyes every time!
As for the whole guys attracted to girls who remind them of their Mom, ok I'll buy that for as far as it goes, BUT I wonder how the hell I landed my husband then. His Mom and I aren't even on the same planet!
She's a yankee and all prim and proper, me; I'm a southern rebel who would wear jeans to a recitle!
Kittenlady: I could definetly see Suzaku+Shirley! They do sorta fit.

Ride, Boldly Ride!
Lost Cause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-19, 19:15   Link #1659
Arbitres
Disabled By Request

Quote:
I like her with orange hair and green eyes~ Of course, I probably would've ended up liking this design too, but I think what they ended up choosing suits her best.
Any artwork could be melded with Shirley, really. It all depends on the presentation. Or in my belief anyways, I would have liked to see her with silver hair and hazel eyes personally. But we didn't get that, so it's pointless to wonder about the "What ifs" in this scenario. As fun as it could be, I don't think we can disagree on Shirley's final outcome being the best... possibly.

Quote:
@Arbitres
It's weird that I never have problems to turn into a complete and freakish self-insert sue when playing renai games whose main character is...male and never saw Rai as a "character" because of that. In LC, it's always ME/Kallen, ME/Shirley, ME/Milly, strange enough I never tried out the guys' routes albeit being totally rotten inside while proclaiming being 100% for het.
Hm. It's understandable Rai lacking the 'essence' to be a character. It's easy to insert yourself in visual novels, it's seductive when it's a visual novel of Code Geass. Though I try to form Rai on the basis of what he is. The unfortunate thing is he can be a great many things, from Shirley's lover to Zero's worst enemy. To Villeta's pet to Cecille's guinea pig in culinary crash course.

A good deal of people can find Rai appalling or atrocious because he can easily impend and invade the shipping foundation without much trouble. Though I like him in that aspect.

Though I never understood what happened in Shirley's Ashford ending. Could you elaborate please? I'm mildly intrigued you played it rhapsody. Though in all honesty I wish you could get more CGI of Shirley and Kallen, but alas no.

Quote:
Lelouch has issues.
We have a Sherlock Holmes in our midst. Superb deduction skills Kittenlady, what gave it away? Though yes Lelouch does have issues. What character in Code Geass doesn't?

It's either infliction or confliction I think. Inflicted with madness or despair. Or conflicted on varying matters. An example is Shirley's emotional crisis during the Mao-encholy events. Poor girl...
Old 2010-05-19, 23:49   Link #1660
darthfury78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbitres View Post
Any artwork could be melded with Shirley, really. It all depends on the presentation. Or in my belief anyways, I would have liked to see her with silver hair and hazel eyes personally. But we didn't get that, so it's pointless to wonder about the "What ifs" in this scenario. As fun as it could be, I don't think we can disagree on Shirley's final outcome being the best... possibly.

Hm. It's understandable Rai lacking the 'essence' to be a character. It's easy to insert yourself in visual novels, it's seductive when it's a visual novel of Code Geass. Though I try to form Rai on the basis of what he is. The unfortunate thing is he can be a great many things, from Shirley's lover to Zero's worst enemy. To Villeta's pet to Cecille's guinea pig in culinary crash course.

A good deal of people can find Rai appalling or atrocious because he can easily impend and invade the shipping foundation without much trouble. Though I like him in that aspect.

Though I never understood what happened in Shirley's Ashford ending. Could you elaborate please? I'm mildly intrigued you played it rhapsody. Though in all honesty I wish you could get more CGI of Shirley and Kallen, but alas no.

We have a Sherlock Holmes in our midst. Superb deduction skills Kittenlady, what gave it away? Though yes Lelouch does have issues. What character in Code Geass doesn't?

It's either infliction or confliction I think. Inflicted with madness or despair. Or conflicted on varying matters. An example is Shirley's emotional crisis during the Mao-encholy events. Poor girl...
It's easy to state that Rai is really Lelouch from a different perspective. Just replace Rai and insert Lelouch into the picture. The ending senarios would be the same of Lelouch x other characters.
darthfury78 is offline   Reply With Quote