AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Naruto/Boruto

Notices

View Poll Results: Chapter rating
* 2 3.85%
** 0 0%
*** 6 11.54%
**** 16 30.77%
***** 28 53.85%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2005-12-22, 20:57   Link #1
ElvenPath
a step away from heaven

[Manga] Chapter 289 Discussion

Welcome to the weekly manga chapter discussion thread posted on fridays. As per the forums rules, please don't ask or mention where to download the (licensed) manga. If you decide to link to a tranlation or synopsis, please don't do so if the website contains licensed or illegal material. Also note that only moderators will be able to create this thread.
Old 2005-12-22, 21:00   Link #2
aFlipGuy
Master

Send a message via AIM to aFlipGuy
Spoiler:
aFlipGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-22, 21:20   Link #3
LeafNinja

This was a nice chapter, the Kabuto revelation wasn't too out there, but it is nice to see him and Orochimaru again. Now just to ponder if Kabuto really is a valid spy, or if this is a triple cross or something.

btw you're off by a hundred chapters.
LeafNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-22, 21:32   Link #4
degeros
Sinner

I find it rather weird that Kabuto doesn't realise the number of ninjas around him, or that "Sasori" is rather fishy.
degeros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-22, 21:36   Link #5
Mists

discrepencies?

isn't it weird? Maybe this will be explained later, but wouldn't the other Akatsuki realize that sasori's dead and can't meet with the spy or did sasori specifically say he only knew about meeting with the spy business.
Mists is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-22, 21:57   Link #6
Ashura3

I can't figure out if:

1. Kabuto's there as bait for Orochimaru so that Akatsuki can finally take care of him.
2. Kabuto is simply acting as a spy for Akatsuki and Orochimaru caught him in the act.
3. Kabuto is there as bait for Akatsuki so that Orochimaru can start finishing them off.

Kishimoto set this up pretty nice, it can go anywhere.
Ashura3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-22, 22:25   Link #7
TooPurePureBoy
Socially Inept

I gotta say that to me it looks like Oro is thinking it's just about time to get rid of the Akatsuki "problem". If he's got Sasuke trained up to the point where he's thinking it's time to take over his body....well the next logical move for him would be too build up his forces to go along with his long awaited Uchiha body. Jinchuriki soldiers or maybe he'll steal the justu to combine them all who knows with him and his kinjutsu. Anyway I like the possibilities that are opened up here.

The big question is once again, where are Kabuto's loyalties right now?
TooPurePureBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-22, 22:38   Link #8
Rachy
Disabled By Request

Quote:
The big question is once again, where are Kabuto's loyalties right now?
Or did he ever have any loyalties :P

it could be a henge ? -.- , nice chapter but i want sasuke already

also, not saying its true but i read awhile ago

Spoiler:

could get very exciting either way though ^_^.
Rachy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-22, 22:40   Link #9
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

I hope Kabuto is still loyal to Orochimaru, and the whole rabbit thing was just an act.

Edit :~ And can someone (( in charge )) change the title? It's 100 chapters apart.

Last edited by Nightengale; 2005-12-22 at 23:21.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-23, 00:15   Link #10
sanghyun1990
상현

I doubt that Kabuto is the spy it was way too easy how they trick Kabuto . Also it is very stange that Orochimaru himself would follow Kabuto.
sanghyun1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-23, 00:39   Link #11
astayanax
Conspiracy Theorist

It is logical that Kabuto is the spy. However, I believe he is double crossing the very same people he is supposed to be spying for. It is to Orochimaru's best interests to use Kabuto to mislead Akatsuki.

Also, the hints were dropped from the beginning. In the chunin exam, Orochimaru told Kabuto flat out that he doesn't trust him and that he would kill him. So to me, Orochimaru knew Kabuto was a spy for a very long time.

With all of that said, I think Kabuto will be more than a mere double spy. There is still awhole that could be explored from him.
astayanax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-23, 00:39   Link #12
ShikaShika
無罪

According to the translations, it seems like Kabuto has been under the effect of some kind of jutsu under the last (5?) years, during which he lost all memory of who he really was. That's actually a great jutsu to use on a spy, because how can you reveal anything about something you don't remember anything about? And at the same time it explains how Kabuto could act so loyal to Orochimaru during these last years, while actually being a spy.

And as some of you said, there are still lots of ways this could turn. Allthough I'm pretty sure Kabuto is the real spy since he's talking about things that only Sasori would know about (unless they already know it isn't Sasori). However, who's to say that Kabuto didn't develop a strong bond to Orochimaru during these years, and when he regained his memories, he simply chose Orochimaru over Sasori? What Orochimaru says/thinks at the end of the chapter is really vague, which is typical in manga when you're supposed to think he said something, but he actually meant something else. I think there may be suprises still.
ShikaShika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-23, 01:05   Link #13
Hello

I think it will be interesting to see what Yamato does next. Now that we know the spy is Kabuto, kidnapping the spy doesn't make much sense anymore. Afterall, Kabuto is always by Orochimaru's side. If he suddenly dissapear, Orochimaru will surely notice. Whatever intel gain by kidnapping Kabuto will most likely go to waste.

The other interesting thing about this chapter is the revelation that Oro will be moving from his current base in 3 days. This means that if the goal is to rescue Sasuke, 3 days is all they got. Certainly not enough time to send for reinforcement. So the question become if a decision will be made to infiltrate Oro's base. Given the fact that Yamato has been shown so far to be a rather cautious guy, I find it hard to imagine him agreeing with such a plan. My guess is that Naruto will ignore orders and leave for Oro's base himself. As a result, forcing the entire team to engage with Oro's forces.
Hello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-23, 01:06   Link #14
Anshin
Shinigami

I believe Kabuto is indeed the spy and maybe Orochi realized this so he followed him. I think kabuto did regained his memories of being a spy. Though I do wonder who is he loyal to. I think Kabuto is the kind of person that would choose the best for himself.I wonder if maybe sasuke is around there too hiding somewhere around XD.

Anshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-23, 01:45   Link #15
Rurouni Zeke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hello
The other interesting thing about this chapter is the revelation that Oro will be moving from his current base in 3 days. This means that if the goal is to rescue Sasuke, 3 days is all they got. Certainly not enough time to send for reinforcement. So the question become if a decision will be made to infiltrate Oro's base. Given the fact that Yamato has been shown so far to be a rather cautious guy, I find it hard to imagine him agreeing with such a plan. My guess is that Naruto will ignore orders and leave for Oro's base himself. As a result, forcing the entire team to engage with Oro's forces.
That does make things really interesting. That would work as long as Oro/Kabuto aren't there when they attack the base; otherwise, I think they would be too overmatched for it to make any sense as far as the story goes. It would have to be something like (and this is really pushing it) Yamato/Sai vs. Oro, Sakura vs. Kabuto, and Naruto vs. Sasuke. Depending on how much Sasuke has improved, that's more than likely a thrashing waiting to happen for neo team 7. Then again, Sakura and Chiyo took it to Sasori, so anything is possible. We'll see.

I haven't seen a translation yet; did he say he was just moving from his base or that he's going somewhere in particular? There should still be a decent amount of time left before he snatches Sasuke's body. Maybe they could find out where he is going and plan a just-in-time assault with better personnel.
Rurouni Zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-23, 01:52   Link #16
Rachy
Disabled By Request

Actually if a fight does break out like that i think it will be a chance for akatsuki to jump in and get sasuke , oro to kill kabuto for his actions and to introduce the new akatsuki kunoichi to fight with yamato and the group to stop them from chasing the akatsuki members escaping with sasuke n_n.

and did naruto and sakura hear kabuto speaking of sasuke ? i dont think they did which means will yamato tell naruto and sakura about it ? i mean naruto will be off like a rocket if he does, will he want that?

Last edited by Rachy; 2005-12-23 at 02:23.
Old 2005-12-23, 02:03   Link #17
Torremitsu
anti-hater

I think Kabuto is super lap dog of the year and oro knows all. What im waiting to find out is if sasuke's punk ass is waiting in the mists too. You know I cant stand oro, but I have to admit it is good seing that micheal jackson look alike once again. Great chapter.
Torremitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-23, 02:43   Link #18
Yellow Flash
Banned

There is a possibility that Kabuto knows about Oro being there and that it is a trap.
Notice that he didn't investigate the sound until he saw that it bothered Sasori (Yamato), so he had to play along.
Then he assured him that it was just a bunny.
Yellow Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-23, 03:23   Link #19
Zek
Eyebrows...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShikaShika
According to the translations, it seems like Kabuto has been under the effect of some kind of jutsu under the last (5?) years, during which he lost all memory of who he really was. That's actually a great jutsu to use on a spy, because how can you reveal anything about something you don't remember anything about? And at the same time it explains how Kabuto could act so loyal to Orochimaru during these last years, while actually being a spy.
That's what Kabuto said, yes. He's speaking of the same jutsu Sasori used on Yuura to keep him as an innocent member of the Sand council for 4 years before awakening him and getting him to slaughter the border guards. Presumably Sasori can prepare a spy, then hypnotize him to do his job properly and just wake him up again to relay information or perform a task when needed. However, remembe that Oro was Sasori's Akatsuki teammate, and he probably knows of this jutsu. If this meeting is a plot by Oro, then he probably told Kabuto about it to add authenticity to his act. IMHO it's sort of fishy how Kabuto talks about that jutsu; that sort of small talk in this situation seems unlike him.
Zek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-23, 03:47   Link #20
Rachy
Disabled By Request

all these theories about kabuto are getting bland lol .. first hes a demon then hes 100 then hes whatever.

i think kabuto has been found out, him being under someones control explains why he agreed to be the spy thats all, orochimaru is smiling because like himself is devious im sure he can appreciate it, kabuto's life will probably be ending soon and the manga can move on to bigger and better things :P.