AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-07-17, 14:16   Link #141
Aiddon

what? The impression of the New World was that the Straw Hats were going to see the Yonkou and witness living legends, showing just how far they had come since their measly beginnings in dinky little boats. Ultimately, no matter what, Ace is just a supporting character and no amount of connection to anyone is going to change that. And Roger is dead, not even a flashback of his life is going to change that. This just seems circular and superfluous to the main plot of the Straw Hats finding the One Piece.
Old 2009-07-17, 14:19   Link #142
d3ad3r

In my opinion, Roger was brought up so Rouge could have been introduced. This way it leaves way for Luffy's mother to appear since nobody said she was dead, so she could be alive.

Also, we found out that 2 D.'s can mate! If anyone had any doubt about that.
This also serves as background insight into the D. family which could lead to what the D. stands for and what's with all those families that have D. in their name.
Old 2009-07-17, 14:21   Link #143
Master Mold
Banned

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradox13 View Post
What?
It only takes a little reading and good old comprehension, to understand.
Old 2009-07-17, 14:23   Link #144
Aiddon

but Rouge is also DEAD, so there's very little she can contribute. As for the whole D thing, we don't really need flashbacks for that. We could've just had someone who's alive explain it.
Old 2009-07-17, 14:25   Link #145
sundaecone

I'm telling you...

GARP IS THE FATHER OF DRAGON AND GOL D ROGER...

unless.. GOL D ROGER really IS dragon???

I know it seems farfetched... but... wouldn't that be wild?!
Old 2009-07-17, 14:33   Link #146
andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiddon View Post
what? The impression of the New World was that the Straw Hats were going to see the Yonkou and witness living legends, showing just how far they had come since their measly beginnings in dinky little boats. Ultimately, no matter what, Ace is just a supporting character and no amount of connection to anyone is going to change that. And Roger is dead, not even a flashback of his life is going to change that. This just seems circular and superfluous to the main plot of the Straw Hats finding the One Piece.
I would think the world strongest pirate crew if they lose is going to effect the New world. It does not matter if he a supporting character or not . The SH don't live in a world of there own there are bigger players in the game and right now plot is center around them.

Just to give you a eg when the SH get to fishman island it was suppose to be in peace but if WB falls it might not any more which effects the plot . Which has nothing to do with the SH but it effects them . Also WB is one of biggest problem facing luffy to get the OP if he is not there any more it change a whole lot in the story . Hell i was always wondering how hell luffy would even beat some on like him. 1600 VS 9 lolol. Well he might not be around any more.

All of this was because of a supporting character if you can't see how this going effect the SH well there not much more i can say .

Last edited by andy; 2009-07-17 at 14:46.
Old 2009-07-17, 14:40   Link #147
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Well, I'm not that patient. Roger is DEAD, he's pretty much just an object now so my interest in him is minimal since he's not one of the main characters who are the focus of the plot in the first place. Ultimately I don't see a thing this could do for the main plot at all. If the Roger reveal had been for one of the Straw Hats or perhaps even for a MAJOR character in an arc who was, say, an antagonist or rival it'd be less destructive to the story line. But this? Uh-uh, if Ace truly is Roger's son then I don't see what this does for the Straw Hats' journey at all
This is very narrow minded view, there are many ways this could further progress the story and others have already answered your questions. The main characters of the story may be Straw Hat Pirates but it doesn't mean that Ace and others can't contribute to the story. If you don't see it then think more and like others mentioned this could lead to more about Roger's past, Will of D, and True History.

Quote:
but Rouge is also DEAD, so there's very little she can contribute. As for the whole D thing, we don't really need flashbacks for that. We could've just had someone who's alive explain it.
So just because they are dead then they are irrelevant? And again it is not about how the story will told but how it will lead into that. Do you expect Rayleigh to pop out of nowhere and just randomly tell about Will of D? Or do you expect there will be some kind event that will lead to Will of D? I don't know about you but I would expect later.
Old 2009-07-17, 15:00   Link #148
Aiddon

Okay, so? But ultimately what does it do for the Straw Hats? They're the main players, they're the ones the story revolves around, not Ace, not Roger, not Dragon, THE STRAW HATS. We've seen time and time again in the story that deceased people have really just contributed to one of the main characters' overall personality and motivations like Olvia with Robin, Bellmere with Nami, and Tom with Franky. We didn't really know much about them and we don't really need to. And you're going to use Ace as a way to explain Roger and not Ace himself? No thank you
Old 2009-07-17, 15:25   Link #149
AddiKtioNn-BlaCk
Is Your Daddy & Its True

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrestrial Dream View Post
This is very narrow minded view, there are many ways this could further progress the story and others have already answered your questions. The main characters of the story may be Straw Hat Pirates but it doesn't mean that Ace and others can't contribute to the story. If you don't see it then think more and like others mentioned this could lead to more about Roger's past, Will of D, and True History.

So just because they are dead then they are irrelevant? And again it is not about how the story will told but how it will lead into that. Do you expect Rayleigh to pop out of nowhere and just randomly tell about Will of D? Or do you expect there will be some kind event that will lead to Will of D? I don't know about you but I would expect later.
Well put.
You shouldn't even bother responding though...
This guy is saying Roger is irrelevant when he's, in fact, the very foundation of the whole story...
He probably still think the story is still about just about finding One Piece (Gol D. Roger's [aka Mr. Irrelevant] greatest treasure)...
He didn't bring up the Will of D. (which Luffy happens to be apart of) and the True History, the great weapons that the government were seeking, for nothing...
Obviously Oda is bringing the storyline over to something deeper, with conquering the Grand Line still being the overall goal
I can't wait to see how Oda is going to work the storyline...
Old 2009-07-17, 16:25   Link #150
james0246

Quote:
Okay, so? But ultimately what does it do for the Straw Hats? They're the main players, they're the ones the story revolves around, not Ace, not Roger, not Dragon, THE STRAW HATS. We've seen time and time again in the story that deceased people have really just contributed to one of the main characters' overall personality and motivations like Olvia with Robin, Bellmere with Nami, and Tom with Franky. We didn't really know much about them and we don't really need to. And you're going to use Ace as a way to explain Roger and not Ace himself? No thank you
I really not sure exactly what you are complaining about. Everything mentioned concerning Roger, while relevent to Roger, also acts as great development for Ace. Ex: Why does Ace have such an obsessive desire to see Whitebeard as the Pirate King? So that his surrogate father can finally and completely replace his real father. In fact, Ace's daddy issues, which have always been an undercurrent of his character, now take on a far more interesting light due to this revelation. Various other inconsistencies and questions concerning the original assumption of Ace and Dragon have finally been cleared away (chief among them, why does Ace dislike Dragon; Well, it turns out Ace could care less about Dragon, Ace only dislikes Roger, etc), and now we can start seeing the real Ace.

Added to that, since it seems that Luffy's and Ace's familial connections are most probably broken, at best they are now nakama. Consequently, since the majority of pseudo family members (past nakama) for the SH crew have died or been seriously hurt over the years (Robin and Ussop lost their parents; Nami, Chopper, and Frankie lost their "parent"; Zoro lost his "sister"; Brooke lost his "family" (and presumably his real family, if he had one, are long dead); and Sanji's "father" lost his leg), the chances of Luffy's "brother" potentially dying in this arc have risen quite a bit in my estimation.

And, of course, this could be the needed foreshadowing for allowing Shanks, Rayleigh, and potentially unknown others from Roger's crew, to come out of hiding in order to try and save Ace. In fact, this would be a good storyline, because it would show the WG using Ace to figure out a way to gather some of the strongest pirates (Whitebeard, Roger's Crew, Shanks, potentially others (Luffy)), just so the WG can then kill them, effectively killing many birds with one stone.

In the end, we cannot say for certain what will development from these revelations. Suffice to say, though, Oda has never presented inconsequential info in the past, so I am unsure why you think he would start with this serious piece of information.

That being said, your lack of desire for an understanding of the past is a bit strange. Why did the Skypiea arc occur? Because Luffy wanted to vindicate Norland, a 500 year old dead sailor. Why did the Water 7/Enies Lobby arc occur? Because Robin did not want her past to come back and hurt her friends. Etc. The past has always been an important factor in the decisions of many of the characters throughout the entire series, so not wanting potentially important info concerning the past seems a little silly.
Old 2009-07-17, 18:21   Link #151
Casshern

Embryonic diapause?
Old 2009-07-17, 18:40   Link #152
-HyugaNeji-

Man, this plot twist just exists to make the Rescue of Ace even more emotional and great. I can already predict, how luffy, completely unexpeted, suceeds in getting near Ace, only to be told that they aren't even blood related. Then..Like the Luffy we all know and love, he'll go batshit crazy and shows the world, that they're brothers and that he'll do everything to save him. You know, with all that screaming and tears and fighting spirit, even when he's already 99% dead. That's why we love Luffy in the first place
Old 2009-07-17, 19:11   Link #153
marvelB

Oh, by the way, I believe that Luffy's group won't have to worry about opening the gate of justice themselves.... I imagine that the Moby Dick will suddenly rise from the ocean's depths, right near the hijacked battleship, and Whitebeard will use his mighty strength to split open the gate like a knife through butter. All the while, I'll bet poor ol' Buggy will just gape at Newgate with a slack-jawed expression on his face.

Also, I wonder if we'll see Sengoku fight in this war? I think we were hinted that he can kick ass and take names when Whitebeard said that he was one of the few people who knew what the seas were like during Roger's era. As the fleet admiral, he's probably stronger than even the 3 admirals. I still have the feeling that that cute little goat of his may be his secret weapon.....
Old 2009-07-17, 19:25   Link #154
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber

...20 months. 20 months!!!

Kind of cool to see Garp and Roger were friendly rivals though... almost expected that since Garp has WB's respect.
Old 2009-07-17, 19:57   Link #155
Vampire
Birth by Moonlight

Send a message via MSN to Vampire
Why exactly are you people complaining about anyway? It's interesting enough to know about once the greatest pirate that had ever lived. I'm sure as hell looking forward to it and the whole connection to the story. Although, I agree that the whole 20 month pregnancy seems like something cheap to add to the plot but at least Rouge isn't just an ordinary woman.
Old 2009-07-17, 20:20   Link #156
paradox13
zzz

Send a message via MSN to paradox13
Quote:
It only takes a little reading and good old comprehension, to understand.
The hell are you complaining about man?

Don't post something retarded and then back it up with 'takes only a lil reading and good ol' comprehension to understand'.

Odas the bloody narrator. Obviously hes allowed to speak, no?
Or am I not getting the point of your post at all, in which case, theres no problem if you elaborate right?
Old 2009-07-17, 21:00   Link #157
Crusader

Send a message via MSN to Crusader
Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post

And, of course, this could be the needed foreshadowing for allowing Shanks, Rayleigh, and potentially unknown others from Roger's crew, to come out of hiding in order to try and save Ace. In fact, this would be a good storyline, because it would show the WG using Ace to figure out a way to gather some of the strongest pirates (Whitebeard, Roger's Crew, Shanks, potentially others (Luffy)), just so the WG can then kill them, effectively killing many birds with one stone.
I thinks this has been what the WG has been scheming all along. They could potentially get rid of Whitebeard, and even the ever trustworthy Shichibukai depending on how the war turns out.
Old 2009-07-17, 22:29   Link #158
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
I still have the feeling that that cute little goat of his may be his secret weapon.....
I'm personally not going to get my hopes up about that little goat being something truly special. Remember Lucci's pigeon, Hattori? It turned out to be nothing more than his ordinary pet.
Old 2009-07-17, 23:01   Link #159
Aiddon

-sigh- why the heck do I always get the feeling that anyone who disagrees with me is ultimately using a circular argument or trying to avoid the accusation at hand? Ya wanna see a problem with this development? Simple: it has reduced Ace to a Macguffin, just a character who exists solely to explain a dead man who can no longer develop in the story line. Like it or not, Roger can't really develop and he can't contribute anything because he is dead. This entire thread has kept saying this.

Roger
Roger
Roger
Roger
Roger

That is it, cries for a man who can no longer do anything or grow. I don't really see how this does anything for the plot and trying to make it a way to see Ace grow is silly, especially since he's only a supporting character.
Old 2009-07-17, 23:28   Link #160
james0246

^Um, Roger develops Ace, not really the other way around. As you say, a dead man can not be developed, but a dead man can be used to develop other or the story (ala the falshback during the Skypiea arc, etc). In fact, Roger (and more precisely, One Piece itself) is the best known MacGuffin in the entire series.

Honestly, I am not sure why you think Ace is somehow negatively affected by being connected to Roger.

Last edited by james0246; 2009-07-18 at 00:06.
Closed Thread