AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-05-12, 16:15   Link #2041
Arkeus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moczo View Post
I have a question concerning Alicia Testarossa, which may or may not become relevant to a fanfic I'm writing.

I keep hearing that she was significantly less powerful, magically, than Fate. Has the reason for this ever been established? Was her magical potential legitimately lower than Fate's, or is the discrepancy simply due to the fact that Fate recieved intense training her whole life and Alicia did not (Alicia died at age five, after all. I doubt Precia put her through in-depth combat training in her toddler years)?

If someone could direct me to an answer, I'd really appreciate it.
I don't remember where it was exactly, so take it with a grain of salt, but Alicia was supposed to be as weak as it is possible to be in magic.

In fact, Precia's hatred of Fate was in part fostered by Fate having a large magical potential manifesting with the same 'color' as the one during the incident (SHE IS POSSESSED!).
Old 2010-05-12, 20:26   Link #2042
Estavali
物語は、もう、おしまい……?

Not so much as in the difference in magical potential, but more due to the color of Fate's aura. Precia notes some differences between the two girls earlier on, but tried to ignore them. It's only after she saw Fate's magical aura then was she literally tipped over the balance.

Btw IIRC while the novel noted that Alicia didn't inherit Precia's magic (aka she's born a Muggle), the main series and the movie seems to indicate otherwise. Whether she's weaker than Fate due to potential or simply because she's not as hardworking is not clearly stated.

Signature by liro
Old 2010-05-13, 06:35   Link #2043
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estavali View Post
Btw IIRC while the novel noted that Alicia didn't inherit Precia's magic (aka she's born a Muggle), the main series and the movie seems to indicate otherwise. Whether she's weaker than Fate due to potential or simply because she's not as hardworking is not clearly stated.
The series never indicates such, all we have going there is Linith scolding Alicia for not getting as good grades as Fate, despite being the older sister. But that was a dream in the Yami no Sho, her 'perfect world', which means we should take it with a pinch of salt.
Old 2010-05-13, 12:52   Link #2044
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

I remember earlier there being speculation among the members here that being an artificial mage clone like Fate or Erio means you have better magic than the original person. I'm guessing that's the basis for the idea that Alicia is inferior to Fate magic-wise, but last I checked, there's no actual canonical backing to this in the shows or in the supplemental materials.
Old 2010-05-14, 08:55   Link #2045
Moczo
"Hey, Isaac?"
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Moczo
All right... since there doesn't seem to be a clear-cut answer, I will, for my own convenience, be going with a theory somewhere in the middle of everything; Alicia had possibly less natural talent than Fate, but still had enough magical potential to have grown into a quality mage if not for her minor case of death.

Thanks a ton to everyone who answered!
Old 2010-05-16, 18:42   Link #2046
shiroi mahotsukai
Under Death by College
*Author

I don't know wether this question has been asked before or not, but anyway, was there ever any mention of who Alicia's father was, It's been bugging me for quite some time now so I was just wondering if there was an answer.
Old 2010-05-16, 18:49   Link #2047
Nagumo
Random Translator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiroi mahotsukai View Post
I don't know wether this question has been asked before or not, but anyway, was there ever any mention of who Alicia's father was, It's been bugging me for quite some time now so I was just wondering if there was an answer.
The answer is... there was a dad who divorced Precia when Alicia was two years old.

Do we ever find out his name? No... I actually tried to look for the stupid guy's name in the Nanoha novel and couldn't find it at all.

Truly Nanoha is a Pink Bishoujo Ghetto...
Old 2010-05-29, 04:58   Link #2048
Koveras Alvane
Mastermind Rational
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to Koveras Alvane Send a message via MSN to Koveras Alvane
This question might have been answered already, but I'm too lazy to read over two thousand replies... Has the internal organization of TSAB been described anywhere in the fluff? I know they are subdivided into Navy and Ground Forces, and then there's the Wildlife Preservation and the Rescue Unit... and that's all I know. Can anyone help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaterasu1963 View Post
Cinque is S+ actually, "equal to Deici's heavy barrel" according to a quote in the Japanese wiki.

All of the cyborgs are listed at their physical strength level on the English wiki. It's not even remotely accurate regarding the Numbers. I signed up for the wiki at one point but decided it would be too much work to redo all the pages to fix.
Actually, you don't have to redo "everything", just fix the level in the respective infoboxes, which is 12 edits, at most. I have implemented the Semantic MediaWiki addon on that MGLN wiki, so things like magic ranks are updated automatically on all pages. It would be nice, though, if you added references to canon materials for their power levels... I took the "strenth levels" from the Japanese Nanowiki, and since I had to rely on Google Translate most of the time, I might have screwed it up...

That said, everyone here is encouraged to contribute constructively to the MGLN wiki. ^^
Old 2010-05-29, 10:34   Link #2049
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Nanya01
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koveras Alvane View Post
This question might have been answered already, but I'm too lazy to read over two thousand replies... Has the internal organization of TSAB been described anywhere in the fluff? I know they are subdivided into Navy and Ground Forces, and then there's the Wildlife Preservation and the Rescue Unit... and that's all I know. Can anyone help?
Within the TSAB, as far as it's ranks go...

Well, there's Enforcers and the training Corps.

There's also the group that deals with criminals and sentencing, of course, we don't know much about that.

Other than that, there isn't much.

My fics Due to certain things, I am not here, find me over on TFF.
Old 2010-05-29, 11:30   Link #2050
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

Double post, sorry, does anyone have a translated picture of the Strike Cannon for Nanoha laying around somewhere?

Old 2010-05-29, 12:01   Link #2051
Bananoha
♨(ゝω・)v

Well, there's stuff like the engineering group, medical centre, working in the library?, intelligence, uhm....

iirc, rescue unit is under the navy, like how transportation unit is under air force. I think someone in SSX was working for affairs but I'm too lazy to check if that was part of TSAB.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanya01 View Post
Double post, sorry, does anyone have a translated picture of the Strike Cannon for Nanoha laying around somewhere?
http://j.imagehost.org/view/0604/Design_01_TL

And I guess you probably know that the other stuff is in Doraneko's post.

…少し…頭冷やそうか…?
Old 2010-05-29, 13:31   Link #2052
Koveras Alvane
Mastermind Rational
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to Koveras Alvane Send a message via MSN to Koveras Alvane
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanya01 View Post
Within the TSAB, as far as it's ranks go...

Well, there's Enforcers and the training Corps.
But Enforcers are an extra branch, aren't they? Like an Investigation branch, or something... I think both Genya's unit and RF6 belong to that branch, as do Fate and Teana after StrikerS.

Quote:
There's also the group that deals with criminals and sentencing, of course, we don't know much about that.
You mean the guys that operate those dimensional prisons where Scaglietti and the Numbers are currently in?

Quote:
Other than that, there isn't much.
I see. That's sad. -__-

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVD View Post
Well, there's stuff like the engineering group, medical centre, working in the library?, intelligence, uhm....
Engineering branch, indeed, the one where Mariel Atenza works. Medical center? I didn't know there was a centralized facility... I though each unit has their own words, like the one on Long Arch.

Quote:
iirc, rescue unit is under the navy, like how transportation unit is under air force.
Are the Navy and air force distinct from the Space Navy?

Quote:
I think someone in SSX was working for affairs but I'm too lazy to check if that was part of TSAB.
OK, I'll check it out, thanks...
Old 2010-05-29, 13:56   Link #2053
Bananoha
♨(ゝω・)v

Quote:
But Enforcers are an extra branch, aren't they? Like an Investigation branch, or something... I think both Genya's unit and RF6 belong to that branch, as do Fate and Teana after StrikerS.
Hmm, Fate and Teana as Enforcers don't seem to have anything other than 本局執務官, leading me to think that being an Enforcer is just part of the main office.
Quote:
Engineering branch, indeed, the one where Mariel Atenza works. Medical center? I didn't know there was a centralized facility... I though each unit has their own words, like the one on Long Arch.
Eh, am I forgetting Shamal's card thing wrong. @_@
Quote:
Are the Navy and air force distinct from the Space Navy?
Hmm....
>> 所属:時空管理局本局・次元航行部隊

Looks like it.

…少し…頭冷やそうか…?
Old 2010-05-29, 15:01   Link #2054
Koveras Alvane
Mastermind Rational
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVD View Post
Hmm, Fate and Teana as Enforcers don't seem to have anything other than 本局執務官, leading me to think that being an Enforcer is just part of the main office.
So they are basically like the Specters, then. ^^ Going out into the galaxy, pursuing random leads, then calling in heavy orbital support...

Quote:
Eh, am I forgetting Shamal's card thing wrong. @_@
As I said, I wasn't sure. ^^

Quote:
Hmm....
>> 所属:時空管理局本局・次元航行部隊

Looks like it.
OK. Just wanted to make sure, since their ships seem to be equally capable of atmospheric and space flight (or, at least, the Cradle was, dunno about the modern ones).
Old 2010-05-29, 15:43   Link #2055
Arkeus

Quote:

OK. Just wanted to make sure, since their ships seem to be equally capable of atmospheric and space flight (or, at least, the Cradle was, dunno about the modern ones).
Modern ones too. We see the Arthra (which is a obsolete model) going into atmosphere in StrikerS, and spaceflight in A's.
Old 2010-05-30, 09:35   Link #2056
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Slightly different question, but does anyone know the difference in these two DVD collections? One is clearly cheaper, but I'm trying to recommend the series to someone who buys DVDs, and not sure which one to link him to. These are both on Amazon, just for links.

Viridian Collection:
http://www.amazon.com/Lyrical-Nanoha...5229534&sr=8-1

Season Set:
http://www.amazon.com/Lyrical-Nanoha...5229534&sr=8-6

Edit; Nevermind, answered my own question with some more digging, heh. Viridian appears to just be a cheaper re-release. Leaving this post up in case others have the same question.

Last edited by Kaijo; 2010-05-30 at 09:57.
Old 2010-05-30, 10:27   Link #2057
Koveras Alvane
Mastermind Rational
*Author

I've written down what I could find on TSAB organization here:

http://nanoha.wikia.com/wiki/Talk:Ti...reau#Structure

Would be glad if someone reviewed it and helped me e.g. with the Japanese names (if they exist in that form) for individual branches...
Old 2010-05-30, 10:30   Link #2058
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo View Post
Slightly different question, but does anyone know the difference in these two DVD collections? One is clearly cheaper, but I'm trying to recommend the series to someone who buys DVDs, and not sure which one to link him to. These are both on Amazon, just for links.

Viridian Collection:
http://www.amazon.com/Lyrical-Nanoha...5229534&sr=8-1

Season Set:
http://www.amazon.com/Lyrical-Nanoha...5229534&sr=8-6

Edit; Nevermind, answered my own question with some more digging, heh. Viridian appears to just be a cheaper re-release. Leaving this post up in case others have the same question.
...man, you're getting ripped off. (at least for the second one)

But for the sake of answering, the first link is the thin pack and the second link is the original box.

Here and Here is where I bought mine from.

Old 2010-05-30, 12:33   Link #2059
al103
Grumpy Russian bear

Send a message via ICQ to al103
Quote:
I've written down what I could find on TSAB organization here:

http://nanoha.wikia.com/wiki/Talk:Ti...reau#Structure

Would be glad if someone reviewed it and helped me e.g. with the Japanese names (if they exist in that form) for individual branches...
First thing that I noted is that Enforcer and Instructor (like Nanoha and later Vita) are positions and not ranks. Fate is lieutenant in As to Strikers manga and Captain in Strikers, but she is still in both cases Enforcer. It just case where position >> rank and it doesn't matter that Nanoha and Fate are second lieutenants or captains, when Fate leads investigation she is in charge, even if she is lesser ranked and when Nanoha trains somebody or test equipment she is in charge, even if she is lesser ranked. But they still have they normal ranks too.

PS. Also Nanoha/job, Honor/job and Rein/Agito.
PPS. Proud Athrun/Cagalli/Meyrin shipper.
Old 2010-05-30, 15:11   Link #2060
Koveras Alvane
Mastermind Rational
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by al103 View Post
First thing that I noted is that Enforcer and Instructor (like Nanoha and later Vita) are positions and not ranks. Fate is lieutenant in As to Strikers manga and Captain in Strikers, but she is still in both cases Enforcer. It just case where position >> rank and it doesn't matter that Nanoha and Fate are second lieutenants or captains, when Fate leads investigation she is in charge, even if she is lesser ranked and when Nanoha trains somebody or test equipment she is in charge, even if she is lesser ranked. But they still have they normal ranks too.
OK. All I can remember is that Fate is always referred to as Enforcer Fate (except when she is Captain of Lightning Team), so I assumed Enforcers don't follow the regular rank ladder. But you explanation is better, thanks.

Also, about Instructor, do you mean, that there is no "training corps", just certain officers within other armed branches who serve as trainers?