AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Sakurasou

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-12-21, 21:49   Link #21
frivolity
My posts are frivolous

Quote:
Originally Posted by kivredia View Post
I'm assuming most of the people who post in a English forum etc. are individuals who live in a western culture so the mc basically behaves like most people in that community. Honestly, people who are lets say 16-25 won't pick the "rational" choice if they are offered both.

Not commenting on what the Japanese audience is thinking.
If we're talking about whether or not it is realistic for MCs in Japanese light novels to not choose the so-called "normal" girls, then the viewpoint of Japanese society and culture is always going to be relevant since they are the primary audience that the author writes for. Because of that, the realism in terms of western culture, etc, is less relevant because that is unlikely to be related to the author's intention unless he had experience living in those societies.

Regardless, even if we look at it in terms of western society, saying that most people won't want a relationship with normal and boring people is still going to be a very dubious assertion. In terms of Sakurasou, this is an even more questionable claim considering that the alternative is a girl who doesn't know how to do anything except paint and requires the MC to micromanage her daily activities for her.
Old 2012-12-22, 00:11   Link #22
Insane
Banned

^The same thing happens with shoujo and josei mangas as well (albeit with reverse gender). Why the hell jerkass and irritating guys always win in the end and not the nice guys?

Perhaps the japanese authors still love using the same old formula : Normal guy + normal girl = boring
Old 2012-12-22, 00:40   Link #23
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane View Post
^The same thing happens with shoujo and josei mangas as well (albeit with reverse gender). Why the hell jerkass and irritating guys always win in the end and not the nice guys?

Perhaps the japanese authors still love using the same old formula : Normal guy + normal girl = boring

Why do you make it sound like this is only happening for Japanese fiction ?
Old 2012-12-22, 01:07   Link #24
frivolity
My posts are frivolous

Again, the argument was about whether or not it's realistic that most people would not enter into relationships with people who are "normal" and boring, and not so much about the trends in fiction, be it Japanese or non-Japanese.

From my perspective, most of the stable relationships among people I know that eventually developed into long-term relationships or even marriage have occurred between people who are so-called "normal", although this is pretty much a tautology since most people tend to be normal by definition. At the very least, I don't know too many relationships between a guy who is "normal" and a girl who is "crazy/exciting" that really withstood the test of time.

Of course, this broaches the broader issue about whether or not fiction is meant to be realistic, but that's an argument for another day.
Old 2012-12-22, 01:22   Link #25
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

We should probably stop now- The topic is no longer about Nanami and more towards some kind of off-shoot of the dating thread
Old 2012-12-22, 02:59   Link #26
tsunade666

But it still represents the choice between Nanami the normal or rational one against Mashiro who is the crazy and with quirk one.

My personal choice in the matter is the normal and loving one that's why I choose Nanami but in most cases from what I see the crazy girl wins (Mashiro) In real life my friend said that a crazy partner will bring color to your life which isn't it the same for Sorata? in the first episode when he is asking what is the color of your life? but for me.... your crazy.
Old 2012-12-22, 03:07   Link #27
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Nanami would be a better main (many will kill me) for Sorata but it has to be Mashiro cause that's the way it has to be...

Poor Sorata not to have a girl like Nanami, who IMHO is very dependable... or at least MORE dependable....

Plus, she easily express herself eg

Sorata: "Mashiro, I love you."
Mashiro: *bland face".....uhm, ok.

Sorata: "Nanami, I love you."
Mashiro: *blushes"Wha-what?! what are you saying all, of a sudden. Ano-uhmm.. I-do too...ah" *faints

> Thats what I call cute....
Old 2012-12-22, 03:18   Link #28
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Both of you realized that the main consideration for your choice is whether she can do good things for you, instead of what you can do for her?

I will not get into the which girl is better argument because frankly they're both good girls, but have you consider that Sorata doesn't need/want someone to take care of him? But rather he is the type that wants to be able to take care of his lover.
Old 2012-12-22, 03:36   Link #29
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
But rather he is the type that wants to be able to take care of his lover.
Well, Nanami is easy to take care of....Oh, she could even take take of herself, all I have to do is work hard while she does her job as a wife... Plus no panties spread everywhere...
Old 2012-12-22, 03:45   Link #30
kivredia

^Like I mentioned earlier, Mashiro could change and become more responsible with someones help. Story suggests she never had to do anything by herself so far except paint.

And that reaction when Sorata would actually confess to her is fitting. So if she ever managed to actually tell him how she felt she would have a heart attack if they tried to kiss. Besides, so far she didn't do anything to make Sorata fall for her. Just being helpful, reliable and everything is something that a good friend might also do. Its her character after all, though the part about doing what she wants despite their family being against it is admirable.

Oh, and I'm not a Mashiron fan either. Misaki beats both of them in my book so Jin is lucky I guess.
Old 2012-12-22, 03:45   Link #31
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
Well, Nanami is easy to take care of....Oh, she could even take take of herself, all I have to do is work hard while she does her job as a wife... Plus no panties spread everywhere...

Again this is not about which girl is better etc etc because lord knows there'll be no end to it.

Last edited by Chaos2Frozen; 2012-12-22 at 03:49. Reason: nvm...
Old 2012-12-22, 03:53   Link #32
NoemiChan
Banned

If we are to discuss Sorata's feelings,and interest and criteria for choosing a girl.. then let's go to his thread...

I just said Nanami's good qualities which is I find better than anyone else. But that doesn't make her superior nor anyone else either...

I said what I have to say.. bye!
Old 2012-12-22, 06:23   Link #33
bastek66

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
Sorata: "Mashiro, I love you."
Mashiro: *bland face".....uhm, ok.
Spoiler:
Old 2012-12-22, 06:25   Link #34
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bastek66 View Post
Spoiler:
Its just an example....
Old 2012-12-22, 19:18   Link #35
Dauerlutscher
Marauder Shields

Why not just accept the simple fact that people don't chose the one they love, and if she is "normal" or not is irrelevant for that.
And what is normal anyway? Aoyamas tsundere antics and her extreme reactions to every nonsense? Surely not.
Old 2012-12-23, 04:54   Link #36
frivolity
My posts are frivolous

^If we're going back to the argument about realism, then I would say that love alone, in the romantic sense that is, is often not enough on its own. At the very least it certainly isn't a fact, and whether or not the other party is "normal" is probably going to be relevant in terms of whether one is willing to take the next step in starting a relationship.

As to the second point, that's why I said that it's somewhat a tautology because most people would be normal by definition of the word. However, if we're going to compare Nanami with Mashiro, the other girl in contention, then I think we can agree that the quirks associated with Nanami are less extreme than Mashiro's.
Old 2012-12-24, 02:35   Link #37
Insane
Banned

I think it's because guys, in general, rather than "taking care", prefer "being taken care" instead. That's why majority of guys would normally choose girls whom able to take care of them very nicely. Not every guy is as neat as sorata in the sense that they can cook, cleaning, and do other houseworks (many guys are completely helpless in these areas), and taking care a troublesome teenage girl is definitely out of Question.
Old 2012-12-24, 21:44   Link #38
pagan poor
Swayin' to the beat

After the current episode, it looks like she has an "out" esp. if things turn out as projected, with Sorata being with Mashiro.

Then comes the everlasting question: "The one you love or the one who loves you?"
Old 2013-01-02, 09:01   Link #39
Haiprbim
Banned

She is just so sweet, do not know who to root for to get Sorata, her or Shiina.
Old 2013-01-29, 01:37   Link #40
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
The older I get, the more I want the normal, boring type. Tired of that roller coaster ride.

I get enough of a rush driving high horse power sports cars. I don't need it in my personal life too...

Consider me in the Nanami camp.

Tags
characters