AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

View Poll Results: -Your- picks for the best songs in Macross Frontier [Multiple-pick Option Enabled]
Welcome To My FanClub's Night! 67 21.34%
Shinkuu no Diamond Crevasse 108 34.39%
Aimo ~Tori no Hito 83 26.43%
Infinity 84 26.75%
Diamond Crevasse ~Sheryl Only♥ 184 58.60%
Northern Cross 150 47.77%
Anata no Oto 55 17.52%
Seikan Hikōu 82 26.11%
Yousei 98 31.21%
Ai Oboete Imasu ka ~Ranka 76 24.20%
Watashi no Kare wa Pilot 30 9.55%
Lion 165 52.55%
Diamond Crevasse 50/50 36 11.46%
Aoi no Ether 49 15.61%
Neko Nikki 20 6.37%
Nyan Nyan Service Medley 101 32.17%
What 'bout my star?@Formo 109 34.71%
Triangler ~ Maaya Sakomoto 71 22.61%
Iteza☆Gogo Kuji Don't be late 88 28.03%
What 'bout my star? ~Sheryl 78 24.84%
Aimo OC 52 16.56%
Triangular - Duet - 93 29.62%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 314. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2011-10-21, 10:11   Link #2741
Ceci-chan
(・∀ノゝ)~キラ☆

Since watching the film, I have a new adoration for Hoshi Kira.

It's definitely no Diamond Crevasse, but I really like it.

|facebook.twitter|
Ceci-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-24, 20:14   Link #2742
raile
Retired Toaster
*Author

JOYSOUND Karaoke Contest for Sayonara no Tsubasa
Old 2011-10-25, 06:36   Link #2743
LoveMeKags
#1 Ranka Fan!!

Izorado (Translation)

"Izorado", sung by May'n

To start off, let me say that I've never fully translated a song before from Japanese to English, so be kind if something is wrong and tell me nicely. I am only trying to provide an accurate (as much as possible) translation of this song. This is also a rough draft.

I know people have discussed translating "Izorado" before, so I waited for a translation to appear. But after SnT came out, no one provided one, so I took my crack at it with what little knowledge I have.

Note: A LOT of the kanji is gibberish, but due to the romanji translation already being out, I was able to fill in the holes that the translation left behind to me. I got the important bits.

2nd Note: If any of the filled in spaces are wrong, feel free to give your interpretation of the lyric. I tried my best with my resources.

Kanji:
Spoiler for kanji:

Romanji:
Spoiler for romanji:

My translation:
Spoiler for english translation rough draft:

Input would be nice.

Last edited by LoveMeKags; 2011-10-25 at 06:47.
LoveMeKags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-25, 07:14   Link #2744
LoveMeKags
#1 Ranka Fan!!

Get it on ~ Kousoku Kuraimax (Translation)

"Get it on ~ Kousoku Kuraimax" sung by May'n & Nakajima Megumi

Translated title: "Get it on ~ Sparkling Climax"

Keep in mind that these that I give you are rough translations and I would like input. This time, I thought I'd give another untranslated MF song a try.

Kanji:
Spoiler for kanji:

Romanji:
Spoiler for romanji:

My translation:
Spoiler for English translation (rough draft):

Input will be appreciated.
Old 2011-10-25, 09:45   Link #2745
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMeKags View Post
"Get it on ~ Kousoku Kuraimax" sung by May'n & Nakajima Megumi

Translated title: "Get it on ~ Sparkling Climax"
Haven't read the whole thing, but your title translation is incorrect already.

Edit: Ok, so I read it (bless me Protoculture), and my verdict: Its a mess.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.

Last edited by Tak; 2011-10-25 at 11:47.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-25, 09:45   Link #2746
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Input would be nice.
Stay away from translating until your Japanese is at a higher level, dear.
Old 2011-10-26, 04:14   Link #2747
LoveMeKags
#1 Ranka Fan!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yot-chan View Post
Stay away from translating until your Japanese is at a higher level, dear.
Well, I understand that; but no one wanted to translate them and I needed a translation. So I took my crack at it. But "Get on it" was horrible to translate. I did better with "Izorado."

You see, I tried to take matters into my own hands instead of asking for lyrics (and putting you guys on the fritz about being lazy) but I guess it wasn't as good for "Get on it."

Can you tell me quite what is wrong with the translations, Yot-chan; like specific parts?
Old 2011-10-26, 18:32   Link #2748
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Well, I understand that; but no one wanted to translate them and I needed a translation. So I took my crack at it. But "Get on it" was horrible to translate. I did better with "Izorado."

You see, I tried to take matters into my own hands instead of asking for lyrics (and putting you guys on the fritz about being lazy) but I guess it wasn't as good for "Get on it."

Can you tell me quite what is wrong with the translations, Yot-chan; like specific parts?
Cripes, that's a can of worms...I'm pretty busy with other translation stuff right now, but I'll see if a can find the time to give everything an once-over.
Old 2011-10-26, 23:40   Link #2749
sa547
*Author

Of all the songs in the movie, Kuma Kuma still keeps on playing in my head.
Old 2011-10-27, 00:05   Link #2750
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa547 View Post
Of all the songs in the movie, Kuma Kuma still keeps on playing in my head.
You're not alone.
Old 2011-10-27, 00:33   Link #2751
woodearth
Ramen Hunter

Quote:
Maybe start by telling us how you went about the translation and what resources you used. I found this site to be very helpful in my Japanese self study.

Also context is king in japanese. Lyrics are especially hard because they often take shortcuts - perhaps to make it rhyme better - and leave out the parts of the sentence that establishes the context.

I think you were trying to inject some creativity in your translation since you translated the word 光速 [Kousoku] two different ways. Is it to make it sing better in English? 光速 has a pretty definite meaning of "light speed" or "speed of light" and it is a stretch to translate it as "Sparkling" in the title or "Light-filled" in the lyrics. In the context of the genre and the setting of the series, "Light speed" is most likely the intended word.

So the title of "Get in on〜光速クライmax" is should be translated as "Get in on〜Light Speed Climax" or less likely "Get in on〜Light Speed Cry Max". For a creative translation words/phrases like "ultra fast" or "instantaneous" may be better in preserving some of the meaning of the original word.
Old 2011-10-27, 07:33   Link #2752
LoveMeKags
#1 Ranka Fan!!

Quote:
Cripes, that's a can of worms...I'm pretty busy with other translation stuff right now, but I'll see if a can find the time to give everything an once-over.
That would be nice, Yot-chan. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodearth View Post
Maybe start by telling us how you went about the translation and what resources you used. I found this site to be very helpful in my Japanese self study.
Hm, it was very difficult.

I actually went halfway between the kanji and romanji. Like I said, half of the kanji is just gibberish, especially when you look it up for the English language. For example: "dokudoku" and "takanatte" are not words in the English language, but they are sounds, apparently. Which makes it difficult to translate.

But when it came to the kanji, some words did not read off right (meaning I either did not recognize it or remember it) and I had to look it up via here. I probably did a bad job of going with the first translation but when it could not find the kanji given, I went to another one here to find it (and as you can see "sadame" apparently wasn't a word on the first).

Like I said, it's a rough translation; I did it within about two hours. But for what it's worth, I look back at some parts of "Izorado" at least and realize that quite a few of the translations are at least near what the song is meaning. I'm not good at forming sentences with the translated English...

Quote:
Also context is king in japanese. Lyrics are especially hard because they often take shortcuts - perhaps to make it rhyme better - and leave out the parts of the sentence that establishes the context.
Oh trust me, I'm aware of that. The line "nisen kounen no ame" was actually just translated out to "rain for two thousand light-years shortly soils this town" and that just didn't work right for me. First off, it's not a sentence and second, it didn't go with the sentence below it. But the one that drove me nuts was "hikari no koronii de tokete karamatte hana mo arashi mo fukiareru mukougawa e kondo kono machi o yogosu no wa" because the whole translation made NO sense whatsoever when I did it. They took too many shortcuts with that one where it was basically saying something was "melting and twining" without giving the "it" a physical being (or a noun).

Quote:
I think you were trying to inject some creativity in your translation since you translated the word 光速 [Kousoku] two different ways. Is it to make it sing better in English? 光速 has a pretty definite meaning of "light speed" or "speed of light" and it is a stretch to translate it as "Sparkling" in the title or "Light-filled" in the lyrics. In the context of the genre and the setting of the series, "Light speed" is most likely the intended word.
Oh, I know that "kousoku" means "light-speed" but since "climax" already means "a quick ending," the "light" part seemed to work better. I actually liked the idea of saying it's a "sparkling climax" because it happens fast (and the light is already there); basically using a metaphor (which I've seen some past translators have done too if I look to "My Fanclub's Night").

But I guess that if we go by "light-speed," then "climax" might not have as much of an impact as a word in the song because a "climax" is already fast enough as it is. But I guess that's an opinion...?

Quote:
So the title of "Get in on〜光速クライmax" is should be translated as "Get in on〜Light Speed Climax" or less likely "Get in on〜Light Speed Cry Max". For a creative translation words/phrases like "ultra fast" or "instantaneous" may be better in preserving some of the meaning of the original word.
Note taken. I'll try to figure out which "quick" phrase sounds better for the title in the final draft.

Thanks for your input. If you noticed anything in the translations that I messed up (preferably Izorado since I wasn't too fond of Get it on due to all the difficult English to work around), that would be helpful.
Old 2011-10-27, 22:22   Link #2753
Ceci-chan
(・∀ノゝ)~キラ☆

Quote:
Oh, I know that "kousoku" means "light-speed" but since "climax" already means "a quick ending," the "light" part seemed to work better. I actually liked the idea of saying it's a "sparkling climax" because it happens fast (and the light is already there); basically using a metaphor (which I've seen some past translators have done too if I look to "My Fanclub's Night").

But I guess that if we go by "light-speed," then "climax" might not have as much of an impact as a word in the song because a "climax" is already fast enough as it is. But I guess that's an opinion...?
I'm not an expert in translation, but as an English speaker "climax" gives me the connotation of the pique of an event or the greatest point, rather than speed.

w/e, just my two cents.

I wish you luck with the translations. Had I the time, knowledge, and patience, I'd sit down and do it myself.

|facebook.twitter|
Ceci-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-27, 22:52   Link #2754
LoveMeKags
#1 Ranka Fan!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceci-chan View Post
I wish you luck with the translations. Had I the time, knowledge, and patience, I'd sit down and do it myself.
I know, right? Every Macross Frontier song except "Izorado" and "Get it on ~ Kousoku Climax" are translated into English. It's like no one cares about this two final ones. So I decided to try; since I wanted a translation. I took matters into my own two hands as not to irritate others.
Old 2011-10-27, 23:24   Link #2755
woodearth
Ramen Hunter

Quote:
Oh trust me, I'm aware of that. The line "nisen kounen no ame" was actually just translated out to "rain for two thousand light-years shortly soils this town" and that just didn't work right for me.
Given what you said in the post, I think your Japanese level is probably higher than mine already. I specifically want to address the quoted part above.

At first glance and listening to the rythym of song, I feel that the "nisen kounen no ame" does go with the next line "sore ga saigo no sadame". I translate "nisen kounen no ame" as "Rain of 2000 Light-Years". That makes it more of a noun. So the next part makes a a bit more sense. The rain of 2000 light-years is the ultimate destiny.

On just reading the lyrics, I suppose the line could be read as "kondo kono machi o yogosu no wa nisen kounen no ame" which to me translates to "This time, this town was soiled by the rain of 2000 light-years."

I think song lyrics do not have to make plausible sense but poetic sense. If you really read the lyrics of English songs most of them do not make logical sense. But the words do sound great together and makes for good poetry.

So maybe the problem with the translation may not be your understanding of Japanese but finding the right English words/phrases to express the meaning while keeping the rythym. That is more of an art than science and the main reason I dare not attempt to translate for public consumption. I applaud your courage.

Perhaps, for now forget about making it pretty and just translate the meaning and hopefully some other readers will help with finding the right English phrases to make it sound nice.

And for what its worth:

Spoiler for My "translation" of the title Get it on~Kousoku KuRaI max:

Last edited by woodearth; 2011-10-27 at 23:29. Reason: Added "Translation" spoiler.
woodearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-28, 00:28   Link #2756
LoveMeKags
#1 Ranka Fan!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodearth View Post
Given what you said in the post, I think your Japanese level is probably higher than mine already. I specifically want to address the quoted part above.
I doubt that. I still haven't finished translating the Macross doujin that I have of Alto and Ranka fully... only through nine pages; then I gave up.

Quote:
At first glance and listening to the rythym of song, I feel that the "nisen kounen no ame" does go with the next line "sore ga saigo no sadame". I translate "nisen kounen no ame" as "Rain of 2000 Light-Years". That makes it more of a noun. So the next part makes a a bit more sense. The rain of 2000 light-years is the ultimate destiny.

On just reading the lyrics, I suppose the line could be read as "kondo kono machi o yogosu no wa nisen kounen no ame" which to me translates to "This time, this town was soiled by the rain of 2000 light-years."
Actually, the first one you wrote makes better sense than mine: "The rain of two thousand light-years is the ultimate destiny."

But regardless, a lot of the words, like "dokudoku" for instance, don't have a translation in the English language because they are actions or sounds and therefore you have to refer to the sound. I'm aware it means "thump" but to write "thump" twice did not seem logical but better to put "rapidly beating heart" to join "dokudoku" to "mune." I tried moving around the meaning to fit a more logical sense. If you always look for a direct translation, then when you look at how Japanese comes out in English without fixing it up; there are obviously words out of place.

Quote:
I think song lyrics do not have to make plausible sense but poetic sense. If you really read the lyrics of English songs most of them do not make logical sense. But the words do sound great together and makes for good poetry.
Actually, a lot of English songs make sense if you look at the context in which the song is about. When it comes to sentence structure, you actually have to pay attention to that in English songs because some continue on way into the chorus on a lot. So it's not a matter of the "song" not making sense but actually the lyrics and how they are placed. And in Japanese, the lyrics in English are scrambled and you have to make heads or tails of it. Especially if you're like me and forget which is past and present tense.

Quote:
So maybe the problem with the translation may not be your understanding of Japanese but finding the right English words/phrases to express the meaning while keeping the rythym. That is more of an art than science and the main reason I dare not attempt to translate for public consumption. I applaud your courage.
Hm, didn't really notice. The translation of "Diamond Crevasse" gives me perspective on how to write out the English lyrics; but like I said, "Izorado"... a lot of its lyrics are plain gibberish or simplified so there is no actual action word. Very rarely did I see anything to connect two together (meaning "no" or "to" and definitely "wa"). It's so difficult...

Quote:
Perhaps, for now forget about making it pretty and just translate the meaning and hopefully some other readers will help with finding the right English phrases to make it sound nice.
I'll keep that in mind... but I still need some help with the kanji. The words that don't make sense (to others like Yot-chan) are some of those "doesn't have an English translation" kanji that came up as plain gibberish; so I don't really know what they are, but I went by my gut via the romanji (especially for "karamatte" and "mekurumeku"). Those are apparently not words from what I could tell... and "mekurumeku" reminded me of a translation in "Gira Gira Samaa" so I went with "shimmering" due to the fact "meku" was "dazzling."

Quote:
And for what its worth:

Spoiler for My "translation" of the title Get it on~Kousoku KuRaI max:
So~ agree with you there.
Old 2011-11-02, 08:42   Link #2757
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Old 2011-11-02, 09:02   Link #2758
sa547
*Author

Now that hits the spot.
Old 2011-11-02, 10:43   Link #2759
raile
Retired Toaster
*Author

Oooh... This will be a treat.
Old 2011-11-02, 13:27   Link #2760
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
This basically sums up my excitement.

Now i just need to count down the days until it appears on cdjapan for preorder.

Tags
music