AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Old 2020-04-03, 17:15   Link #541
marvelB

Goodness, it sure feels like forever since the last SBS, huh? Anyway. volume 96 is out, so it's that time once again! Oddly, AP seems to be down at the moment, so I had to look elsewhere for the relevant info..... though credit still goes to good ol' Redon:

-This is cool: Oda drew sketches of the entire Roger Pirates crew, and even gives their names:

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

-Oden's birthday is February 22.

-And on that note, we learn the heights and favorite foods of Oden, the Scabbards, and some of their closest allies:

Quote:
Oden

3.82 meters
All kinds of oden (After all, it's what he's named after! )

Kinemon

2.95 meters
Daikon

Kanjurou

3.47 meters
Cabbage rolls

Raizou

3,11 meters
Burdock roll

Denjirou

3.06 meters
Beef

Kiku

2.87 meters
Shirataki noodles

Kawamatsu

2.71 meters
Eggs

Inuarashi

5.11 meters
Bones and chicken wings

Nekomamushi

5.22 meters
Lasagna and fish paste

Ashura Douji

5.44 meters
Mochi

Shinobu

1.80 meters
Hanpen

Izou

1.92 meters
Ganmodoki
-Kawamatsu is a Japanese puffer fish-man (or Torafugu in Japanese).

-Apparently, Shinobu is modeled after Jane from Jungle King Tar-chan.

-The human form of Brooke's sword looks like an old lady, heh.

Images

-Oda draws a slimmer version of Queen, who looks.... a little creepy, IMO.

Images

-And now for what may be the most interesting bit: A fan notes that several members of the Shimotsuki clan have appeared in the story so far (BTW, Ryuma is confirmed to be a member of this very clan!), and wonders if Zoro's home village and his master, Koushirou, are related to them somehow. Oda confirms that this is indeed the case! He then recounts a bit of history: Shimotsuki Kouzaburou, the master smith who forged Enma for Oden, left Wano to sail the seas 55 years ago. Eventually, his journey took him to a certain place in East Blue, and he saved the people there from bandits. He then stuck around to teach the people there swordsmanship, but as time passed, he fell in love with someone, and decided to settle down. At this time, he founded Shimotsuki village! After some time, his son, Koushirou, was born! Later, his granddaughter, the late Kuina, was born, as well. Oda then trails off as he wonders what this means about Zoro's bloodline.......

Images

-Not quite SBS-related, but I think it deserves a mention: Oda fixed the design of Orochi's devil fruit from chapter 965:

Images

...Wow. This was easily one of the best SBS columns in some time. Lots of neat info! I hope the next one is just as fun!
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-04-03, 18:28   Link #542
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Pretty cool to get names and designs for the members of Roger's crew. I guess that means Bullet isn't canon since he isn't there?
Old 2020-04-04, 10:26   Link #543
Rainbowman

Oden born on February 22. That makes him a Pisces.
Rainbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-27, 11:20   Link #544
marvelB

This isn't quite SBS-related (though that should come along within the next few weeks), but I think this is interesting enough on its own: Oda recently had a televised interview with a Japanese idol group called Arashi, and we have a summary of its contents! That's not all either, as the author made some other recent misc. announcements/comments outside the interview! Big credit goes to AP's Sandman for the info:

Quote:
Here is my summary of Oda's TV interview in "Arashi Tsubo".

Oda said he would like to finish OP in 4-5 years (again).

He rarely goes to Jump office where today he witnessed his manuscript of chapter 1 for the first time in 23 years.

Oda googles words such as “interesting manga” to find manga to read. lol

ONE PIECE was rejected before serialization in editorsÂ’ meeting. Editor Asada told Oda that he was surprised to this news.
Oda replied he was more surprised than anyone else because he was very confident with OP.

Oda didnÂ’t plan to bring his OP manuscript to Shonen Magazine or Sunday
because he wanted to work on the same magazine as Akira Toriyama whom Oda has been respecting a lot.

Oda doesnÂ’t have an idea to draw another manga after OP.

OdaÂ’s meeting with editor via phone lasts at least 3-4 hours (12 hours at most).
The meeting was so long that editor Hattori happened to fall asleep...

When editor Sugita introduced to Oda as a new editor, Oda jokingly told him that heÂ’d rather have an editor someone else.

Oda loves spending money to smartphone game apps. For example, he spent much money to obtain “super rare Shanks”.

Editor Sugita was frustrated due to the delay of manuscript, but when he read it, he couldnÂ’t help crying.
It was the chapter where Rebecca met Kyros. Oda said he also cried when drawing the chapter.
He says his audience would not be moved to tears unless mangaka himself cries.

Oda considers it genius about

1 Shimohuri Myojo Seiya (Japanese comedian)
2 Taiyo Matsumoto (mangaka)
3 Anime staffs of “The World of Golden Eggs”

Oda feels happy when

1 He goes to health spa. Oda believes anyone who lives near health spa would be happy..
2 He can successfully cook rare meat.
3 Anime staffs have good relationship as if they are family members.

Oda's favorite scene

1 Wano opening
2 Robin puts MangroveÂ’s tree sap to Usopp. Oda says it helps audience to feel as if OP world is real.3 Campfire scene in Skypiea arc.
It was the scene Oda wanted to draw most in that arc.
Spoiler:

Here is my translation of Oda's message about upcoming ONE PIECE books next month.

Oda: Volume 97 will be on sale on 16th, September!! We'll soon reach volume 100!!
Actually volume 97 was supposed to be out on 4th, September, but it was delayed due to COVID-19. Oops (・ω<)
Illustration book "Tiger" (Color Walk) and "ONE PIECE Magazine" will be released on 16th, September as well.
In short, 3 OP books will be out on the same day!!

By the way, "Straw Hat Big Theater" will be released on the same day. It contains 13 3-page-short mangas I drew long ago.
It will be available only via digital book. It costs only about 2 dollars, but it's entertaining to read!

Also, "ONE PIECE Comics Box Set" will be out on 4th, September without delay.
Thus, those 3 books I mentioned above will be delayed!! Thank you for your support!!

Oda and 2 Japanese idols named Takuya Kimura and Kazuya Kamenashi make a collaboration drawings for LINE (message app) stamp in "Johnny's Smile Up! Project".
The project is supposed to be a donation for health care workers regarding COVID-19. Here is my translation of OdaÂ’s comment.

Oda: Drawings reflect his/her personality. I'm "Smile Up!" (happy) about the heartwarming drawings by Kimura and Kamenashi,
both of whom would rarely draw illustrations. Thanks to their kindness, we are able to make a collaboration via ONE PIECE! I hope my audience will use our LINE Stamps!

A week ago, Oda sent a message to the students of his hometown, Kumamoto.
The purpose was to encourage students who are suffering from this current situation about COVID-19.
Here is my translation of his message.

Oda: There is something called "backlash" in this world. Even though our time is currently being stopped, I'm sure it will restart intensely.
Stop reading manga and prepare for your own future. (TN: entrance examination, sport competition etc) You can do it!!

^Hmm, Oda's sticking to his guns about ending the series in 4-5 years' time, I see. It'll most likely take about twice as long, though (especially if he keeps getting all those extra breaks, lol). I'm actually not surprised he's proud of how the Wano opening was handled (I rather enjoyed it, myself), though that Sabaody scene is kinda random, heh. Anyway, just for the heck of it, here's the recently revealed cover for the upcoming 97th OP volume:

Images

^Tobi Roppou in color! However, someone elsewhere pointed out something I can't unsee now: Sasaki's colors kinda make him resemble Kokoro (the old boozehound mermaid from Water 7). And Oda did mention in a past SBS that she had a half--human son. A coincidence, perhaps.....?
Old 2020-08-31, 17:27   Link #545
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

So if he still is thinking of ending in 4-5 years does that mean the last arc will start after Wano arc is over?
Old 2020-09-08, 21:16   Link #546
Rainbowman

Love how the Tobiroppo are colored like a rainbow. With Sasaki, he seems to be a hybrid of Kokoro and Charlotte Katakuri. With volume 97 coming out, I hope we get miscellaneous information (including color representation) for Jinbe now that he’s confirmed as a member of the Strawhat crew.
Old 2020-09-09, 07:06   Link #547
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Ulti looks good with blue hair. Pink hair for Who's who is kind of surprising.
Old 2020-09-09, 12:15   Link #548
MAX_COLA_POWER!

I think it's best to not focus so much on when One Piece will end and just continue enjoying the ride while it lasts. IMHO I think it personally ruins the experience thinking about how much time the series might have left that you start over focusing on the story's pace, missing information, discarded plots, etc.
Old 2020-09-15, 12:53   Link #549
marvelB

Okay, the volume 97 SBS has finally leaked! Credit goes to various sources at AP for the info:

-Let's address the most important piece of info first: Oda further clarifies his comments about ending the story in five years' time when a fan presses him on the issue:

Quote:
D: Odacchi! Is it true that One Piece will end in 5 years? Even if that's the case, a public statement like that is really vexing for the fans!
Many friends of mine who are fans burst into tears with this sudden announcement! I feel like shouting "How could you do this to us!?", but I don't want to stress you out. (P.N.: pari_bentham)

O: By "ending", I mean the juiciest part of Luffy's adventure.
Since that's when the mystery of "what is the One Piece?" is to be revealed.
Right now Wano is heating up, if Luffy is able to leave here in one piece, we'll get to a development that will engulf the entire world, the likes of which no one has read before - the greatest war in One Piece history.
I said what I said so that the reader's hearts would be prepared, since it'll be such a long arc, and one that will really pin things towards the finish line. That being said, I'm really enjoying writing and drawing Wano right now, and am pumped to finishing it!
^So basically, it seems that Oda is implying that the plot-related loose threads will be wrapped up in 5 years, but not necessarily the series itself. This may mean that the final war could stretch on far longer than any prior arc in the series.....

-On to other info! A fan asks if the Gifters are able to switch between human and beast form, or if it depends on the fruit. Oda answers it's the latter, since SMILEs are artificially-created fruits, and are thus more unstable compared to "true" Zoans, resulting in incomplete transformations like the lion sticking out of Holdem's stomach. Some SMILE users are capable of gaining powerful transformations, but it's ultimately a matter of luck....

-Oda shares some misc. info on the Tobi Roppou, specifically their height, age, and favorite foods:

Quote:
Who's Who: 336cm, 38yo, crab paella
Black Maria: 820cm, 29yo, mitarashi dango
Sasaki: 318cm, 34yo, asparagus
Ulti: 173cm, 22yo, twisted fries
Page One: 171cm, 20yo, nachos
X Drake: 233cm, 33yo, chicken rice
-A fan points out the recent discovery of the Spinosaurus (the dinosaur Page One's power is based on) being swimming creatures. Oda replies that he slightly adjusted Pay Pay's design in light of these new findings by adding fins to his tail (which you can see in chapter 983, but I provide the SBS pic below).

Images

-Oda introduces us to the Oniwabanshu! We get their names, heights, and special techniques:

Images

-On a somewhat related note, someone asks whose head is taller between Fukurokuju and vice admiral Strawberry. Turns out it's the VA! Oda adds that Strawberry's head apparently grows taller the sadder he gets, lol.

-Kawamatsu's birthday is 6/14.

-It's pointed out that one of the Roger pirates introduced last volume, named Nozdon, was previously revealed in the data book Blue Deep under the name Seagull. Oda rectifies this little error by revealing the man's full name as Seagull Guns Nozdon.

-We've seen various anthropomorphized versions of characters' weapons, but what about Luffy's hat? Well, Oda finally drew him, complete with the "scar" he got from Buggy so long ago:

Images

-We've got the usual round of silly/pervy questions, like if Orochi can eat normally with his elongated teeth (he can), Someone wanting to sniff Nami's towel, someone claiming they have the powers of the "Muzu Muzu (itchy) no Mi: Model Crotch", etc...

-And lastly, a fan voices their surprise that there were no requests of a future Sanji drawing..... and proceeds to request future Chopper instead!

Images

This was a pretty fun SBS, IMO. Until next time!
Old 2020-09-15, 18:14   Link #550
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

The bad future versions of Chopper actually look cooler. The others weren't implied to have become evil though, were they?
Old 2020-09-17, 04:39   Link #551
Rainbowman

Disappointed that the only highlight of the volume 97 SBS is Kawamatsu's birthday being 6/14 which makes him a Gemini.
Old 2020-12-06, 23:07   Link #552
Rainbowman

Had to make a bump in this thread. So I was checking through my emails for changes in the One Piece fandom wiki, and I found there was a change in the Strawhat Pirates article in the miscellaneous section involving a color representation for Jinbe. And that color is: Soft Orange? Wanted to check with you guys to see if this happened to be official (and if it is, my other question would be if Soft Orange is a shade of brown).
Old 2020-12-07, 05:34   Link #553
Hoodspirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbowman View Post
Had to make a bump in this thread. So I was checking through my emails for changes in the One Piece fandom wiki, and I found there was a change in the Strawhat Pirates article in the miscellaneous section involving a color representation for Jinbe. And that color is: Soft Orange? Wanted to check with you guys to see if this happened to be official (and if it is, my other question would be if Soft Orange is a shade of brown).
The source cited on the OPFandom Wiki is to the twitter account of AnimeCiity,
that person took all the so far released pictures of a countdown to chapter 1000 and put them into one collage.
Those released countdown pictures are from the offical One Piece twitter account.
Jinbei's original twitter post is here: https://twitter.com/eiichiro_staff/s...55872666742784

The background colour has not been named in that twitter post itself.

As for the second question, it is a bit complicated. But for simplicity you should think of brown being a dark orange, rather than Soft Orange being a shade of brown.

There is youtube video by "Technology Connections" on the topic of why there are no brown LEDs (videoname: Brown; color is weird). It's a good showcase about brown using a visual self-test, good graphs and an easy language, if you want to learn a bit more about it.
Hoodspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-12-18, 10:20   Link #554
TURI123456

Does someone know what's the e-mail of the SBS?

P.S Sorry for my bad English, English isn't my native language.
TURI123456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-02-03, 11:57   Link #555
marvelB

Volume 98 is upon us, so you know what that means! AP is still down for the moment, so I went elsewhere to get this info. Credit still goes to Redon, though:

-First up is.... FUTURE SANJI!!!

Images

-Yamato's birthday is November 3rd.

-A fan asks if Luffy has a fifth gear. Oda answers this in a roundabout way, saying that the characters reflect the author's present time. The heroes are currently battling the man who's known to be "the strongest in the world". Likewise, in the real world, we're transitioning from "4G" to "5G" technology. And surely, the "G" must stand for "Gear", right? So, it looks like it's (semi) official:Gear 5 is coming!!!

-Someone asks if the Hundred Beast Pirate's officers have names based on card games. Oda confirms that yes, they do for the most part, the exceptions being the recently recruited supernovas (Drake, Hawkins, Apoo). Here, he reveals something interesting: Doflamingo, who used the alias "Joker", shared the card theme because Oda originally planned for him to fight alongside Kaidou at Wano as his most powerful ally! But as we already know, "Joker" ended up meeting his downfall at Dressrosa.

-Another interesting one: A fan from an Asian forum asks what DF powers Zoro, Nami, Usopp, Sanji, and Franky would have (no, they didn't ask about Jinbei). Oda responds:

Quote:
Zoro: Uo Uo (fish) no Mi, Mythical type, Model Seiryuu, aka Kaidou's fruit! However, Oda thinks it would be cooler if one of Zoro's swords ate the fruit.

Nami: Goro Goro (rumble) no Mi, aka Eneru's thunder Logia! Oda says that power, combined with her weather knowledge, would make Nami the strongest in the crew, Luffy notwithstanding.

Usopp: Poke Poke (pocket) no Mi, the power used by Blamenco, the sixth division commander of the Whitebeard pirates. Perfect for someone who always keeps their tools handy.

Sanji: Sui Sui (swim) no Mi, aka Senor Pink's DF! Being able to swim through floors and walls can help prevent catastrophes (and I guess because the raid suit makes his previous desire for the invisibility fruit moot, lol).

Franky: Buki Buki (weapon) no Mi, aka Baby 5's fruit! What better fit for our cyborg friend?
-A fan points out that in chapter 962, we see Kiku holding a gun while Izou holds a katana..... yet in the present, their weapon preferences are reversed. Oda is surprised that people noticed that detail, but the truth is that while Kiku held the gun, she wasn't actually using it. He then explains their background a bit, revealing that their father was a criminal, and were forced to live in poverty. They made a living entertaining adults, but received cruel treatment in return. Izou's acts involved using guns, which he was more comfortable with compared to the blade. Later, after boarding Whitebeard's ship, he was entertaining the crew with his marksman skills one day when Vista told him to protect others with what he's good at. That made Izou ponder: If a samurai's duty is to protect their lord, then what's the point of carrying a katana if they have no skill with it? From that moment onward, he gave up the blade in favor of firearms.

-The horns seen on Kaidou's SMILE users are merely for show, they're not real.

-Remember that story about how Kid and Killer had a rivalry over their first love during their childhood? Well, here's the girl in question:

Images

-The name of that one retainer of shogun Sukiyaki (that dude with glasses) introduced in chapter 960 is named Banzaburou. For those who forgot, it's this guy:

Images

-And to round things off.... here's Law with a sour face:

Images

That's about it for now! My, I found this to be a fun SBS!
Old 2021-02-03, 19:09   Link #556
Rainbowman

Highlights of SBS Volume 98:

Yamato’s Birthday November 3- Scorpio

Gear 5- Doflamingo was right that Luffy was holding back on his full potential.

Strawhat pirates Devil Fruit- Personally I was hoping Nami’s Fruit powers would be a feline zoan but having Eneru’s Fruit powers would be awesome. As for Jinbe, that might be so much of a toss up it’s no wonder no one asked about him. If it were up to me, I would imagine Jinbe to have Wapol’s Munch Munch Fruit given how large Jinbe’s jaw is.

Law’s sour face- I wonder what kind of food would make him do that?
Old 2021-06-03, 10:43   Link #557
marvelB

Volume 99 releases this week, so.... you guessed it, SBS time! Credit goes to AP's Redon and co. for the juicy info:

-We get the name of Kid's DF! He has the powers of the Jiki Jiki (Magnetism) no Mi! Oda was surprised people asked about the name because he thought he revealed it an earlier point (he didn't), but says he'll include it in the main story sometime soon.

-We get the personification of Nami's Clima Tact:

Images

-Someone asks if Kaidou is the type who'd eat a fish's scales. Oda replies the emperor would consider them the best part of the fish!

-This one needs a bit of context: A recent update for the Vivre Card databook revealed that Yasuie and Otoko aren't related by blood. Her birth parents died when she was an infant, so Yasu took it upon himself to raise the girl instead. Back to the question, someone asks Oda if Toko is aware that Yasu's not her biological parent..... to which Oda answers no, she is not.

-Some misc. info about Jinbei:

Quote:
Least fave food: Parfait (Because it's too difficult to eat)
Fave color and number: Ochre, 10
Family role: Father (A position that formerly belonged to Franky, but now he's become the "perverted old hag", lol)
Scent: The sea
Prefecture: Kagoshima
Nationality: Indian
Animal: Bear
Specialty dish: Bonito Tataki
Sleep pattern: 3AM-9AM
Inner thoughts: Oni, water, fist
Non-pirating profession: Train station worker
Prefers to swallow ice
Fave season: Autumn on a summer island
Flower: Peony
-This one is.... interesting, to say the least. Someone requests Oda draw the personification of Yamato's side boobs, to which he complies:

Images

-On the subject of Yamato, we learn she's 28 years old, is 2.63 meters tall (a height of two Luffys, as Oda notes), and her fave foods are oden and salmon (the latter of which she prefers to eat raw).

-Someone asks about Roger and Rayleigh's lines in chapter 966 when they're playing with baby Hiyori:

Images

^However, Oda gets awfully evasive on the subject, telling the reader to ignore that scene.....

-Here's a real interesting one: A fan asks why there are giraffe-type SMILEs when we've already seen a "legit" giraffe DF user like Kaku. Oda reviews the SMILE creation process, and adds that Caesar only took the Lineage Factor from Zoans based on extant creatures, meaning he can't do the same for mythical Zoans, Paramecias, or Logia-type DFs.... for that's his limit. However, it has been said that the legendary genius Vegapunk has conducted research that goes far beyond Caesar's own limitations.......

-Back to the Gifters, Oda reveals his top 3 favorite designs: Third is Speed, the horse lady. Second is Hamlet, the giraffe guy. But first is.... HOLDEM! Yep, the guy with a lion jutting out of his belly is Oda's #1 Gifter! Apparently, Holdem's design is based on Future Robot Daltanious.

-Oda shows off an early design for Oden:

Images

That's about it for now! Well, now we have strong hints that Vegapunk is replicating ALL DF types, though that was already indicated with Momo's dragon fruit. And Jinbei's a bear? And Indian?? Well, if Oda says so, I guess. Anyway, definitely looking forward to what the 100th volume's SBS has in store for us!
Old 2021-06-04, 20:13   Link #558
Rainbowman

Highlights of SBS volume 99:

Kid’s Devil Fruit- Jiki Jiki no Mi.

Jinbe’s miscellaneous information. What kind of color is Ochre? 🤔

How the SMILES were created using the Lineage Factor.
Old 2021-06-05, 06:01   Link #559
Tuor

Ochre is a brownish-yellow earth color. Pretty much like clay tends to be.
Tuor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-08, 14:57   Link #560
Theia_Loki

The bear motif for Jinbe actually makes a lot more sense when you think about it. After all, bears really do pack a hell of a punch and can run pretty damn fast once they've picked up enough speed to make that run. That, and he's the nicest of the original Shichibukai, thus the teddy bear aspect.

I liked Holdem's design the first time I saw it too! Oda and I think alike! ^_^
Theia_Loki is offline   Reply With Quote