AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Old 2009-11-09, 18:08   Link #4141
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerpepitone View Post
In episode 3, Lambdadelta gives the unclue about Evatrice's catchphrase being a clue to her identity. Are there any other catchphrases? Maybe one of them is a real clue.
Gaap "Only if they are hot!"

Since Gaap is probably Shannon I always thought this was a clue, that Shannon despite having much esteem of George "perfect" personality and great achievements, she still has this voice deep inside her that screams: "I want a hot boyfriend!!!"

maybe Shannon telling to George that Hideyoshi's genes are particularly thick on him is a hint, because... I don't think this was exactly a compliment...

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-09, 18:12   Link #4142
hirahira
a duck is fine too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post

Since Gaap is probably Shannon I always thought this was a clue, that Shannon despite having much esteem of George "perfect" personality and great achievements, she still has this voice deep inside her that screams: "I want a hot boyfriend!!!"
Jessica is the one who wants a hot boyfriend. I don't think Gaap is Shannon since Shannon already has a magical side. Why would she have two? I think Gaap is Rosa or Jessica
Old 2009-11-09, 18:15   Link #4143
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Magical side? The ability to use magic isn't necessarily a magical side.

Jessica George and Kumasawa have been shown using magic shields and weapons as well.

Old 2009-11-09, 18:20   Link #4144
hirahira
a duck is fine too

Quote:
Magical side? The ability to use magic isn't necessarily a magical side.

Jessica George and Kumasawa have been shown using magic shields and weapons as well.
But Shannon even has another TIP for her magical side.
Old 2009-11-09, 18:45   Link #4145
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

She does? °°

Old 2009-11-09, 18:50   Link #4146
Workworkwork

Quote:
She does? °°
Yes, from EP2, I believe.
Workworkwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-09, 18:53   Link #4147
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Are you talking about the TIPS in the witch's side? Even Genji, Battler and Maria (not MARIA) are there.

Old 2009-11-09, 19:16   Link #4148
Marion
The Great Dine

Quote:

maybe Shannon telling to George that Hideyoshi's genes are particularly thick on him is a hint, because... I don't think this was exactly a compliment...
What?

That's kinda silly. Jessica is way more like 'I want a hot boyfriend' than Shannon.
Marion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-09, 19:19   Link #4149
Christen
Endless Nine
*Artist

How about Jessica = Gaap and Ronove = Kanon?

Please watch where you post and tag your spoilers properly if it's allowed.
Christen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-09, 19:32   Link #4150
blitz1/2
Tenshi's Defense Squadron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christen View Post
How about Jessica = Gaap and Ronove = Kanon?
I thought Ronove was connected to Genji, as Jessica's first response upon seeing Ronove.

hai, hai. Onii-chan has his work cut out for him.
blitz1/2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-09, 19:37   Link #4151
rogerpepitone

Send a message via Yahoo to rogerpepitone
If Gaap is supposed to be Shannon, why send her to test George and Ronove to test Jessica? It's kind of odd for one to be tested by their SO and not the other.

Why not instead have Virgilia test George, or have Kanon's analog test Jessica? Or is Ronove really Kanon? (Though I think Ronove did claim in story to be Genji.)

In story, Goldsmith tested Maria. If there's symbolic truth, she would have been tested by the person who gave her the umbrella. Also, the second name on her list is almost certainly Rosa. Did Rosa administer her daughter's test?
rogerpepitone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-09, 20:16   Link #4152
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marion View Post
What?

That's kinda silly. Jessica is way more like 'I want a hot boyfriend' than Shannon.
Why do you all assume they need to have a similar personality?

The two confirmed vessels (Kumasawa and Ronove) are very different from their magic counterpart.

Quote:
If Gaap is supposed to be Shannon, why send her to test George and Ronove to test Jessica? It's kind of odd for one to be tested by their SO and not the other.
That never happened. That was just a story Beatrice made up to justify that odd thing she showed to Battler, whose real purpose was finding out if Battler had already someone in his mind!

Sigh... I know you won't believe me, but I'm serious... -_-

Old 2009-11-09, 20:52   Link #4153
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Or Ronove = George, Gaap = Jessica. So many combinations....
Old 2009-11-09, 20:59   Link #4154
Neofio3

Quote:
Wouldn't it make sense in a storytelling perspective though? If Shannon really doesn't love George, as some propose, and Kanon was only half-heartedly fighting Jessica, as Ronove was.

Quote:
The two confirmed vessels (Kumasawa and Ronove) are very different from their magic counterpart.
Are they really? I definitely get a very similar vibe from both. Virgilia in episode 4 especially (as a bumbling old woman, and the mackerel joke to Krauss), and as a fount of knowledge in episode 3. Ronove, while somewhat dissimilar, still is a loyal and competent butler. Its enough to posit their "shadow selves", given enough narrative distortion.
Neofio3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-09, 21:10   Link #4155
Workworkwork

Quote:
Really? Ronove is basically Genji in his "I was quite the looker" days.
Workworkwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-09, 22:43   Link #4156
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Virgilia is a dignified and honest lady (or at least that's how she appears), Kumasawa is a talkative hag and shameless liar

Ronove is witty-tongued, easygoing and sarcastic character, Genji has an uptight and dead serious personality.

You only think they are similar because you are used to think they are the same persons, but they are quite different.

Old 2009-11-09, 22:47   Link #4157
Neofio3

Quote:
Virgilia is a dignified and honest lady (or at least that's how she appears), Kumasawa is a talkative hag and shameless liar

Ronove is witty-tongued, easygoing and sarcastic character, Genji has an uptight and dead serious personality.

You only think they are similar because you are used to think they are the same persons, but they are quite different.
With Virgilia at least, refer to episode 4. Gapgapgap and goat falling on her is far from dignified.

I've got no answer to Ronove's personality, but his goals and functions remain consistent (as with supposed origin stuff, Genji being made from Ronove).

Of course, this is all conjecture on my part, same as yours. (there's no real guarantee about the supernatural characters having analogues to the pieces, after all)
Old 2009-11-09, 22:51   Link #4158
ijriims

Personally I don't view Gaap and Ronove as fantasy protraint of Shannon/whoever you think she was and Genji.

Just like Sietus were either guns or animal figures Maria played with. Gaap and Ronove were not necessarily people at all.

They may represent trick, or even nothing but a tool to explain the murder scenes through magical scene.
ijriims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-09, 22:54   Link #4159
Neofio3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijriims View Post
Personally I don't view Gaap and Ronove as fantasy protraint of Shannon/whoever you think she was and Genji.

Just like Sietus were either guns or animal figures Maria played with. Gaap and Ronove were not necessarily people at all.

They may represent trick, or even nothing but a tool to explain the murder scenes through magical scene.
This is what I'm thinking also, especially with the above conjecture about the tests of George and Jessica being Gap and Ronove.

Similarly, the siestas, being guns, could be a whole bunch of people, provided they actually used the guns.

Basically, while the magical characters may have analogues to the human pieces or objects (siestas = guns/rabbits, Beatrice = culprit), what they actually do in the chess board may have other symbolic or expedient interpretations not necessarily related to their analogues. While Beatrice may symbolize the culprit, for example, she may also symbolize something else, like everyone's death (even without a culprit). Like a version of Lambdadelta in Higuarashi. 34 is an analogue of Miyo, however, Miyo is not all of what 34 is. 34 was also the bus driver who killed Miyo's parents, the good doctor who brought her up, being brought into Tokyo, etc... Essentially, witches and magical beings represent events and circumstances, people included.
Old 2009-11-09, 23:58   Link #4160
LyricalAura
Dea ex Kakera

Quote:
That never happened. That was just a story Beatrice made up to justify that odd thing she showed to Battler, whose real purpose was finding out if Battler had already someone in his mind!

Sigh... I know you won't believe me, but I'm serious... -_-
In retrospect, that was really weird. If I remember correctly, Battler didn't find any of the other letters, so if his was the only one that actually existed... Yeah, that's compatible with Battler's sin being a broken promise to Shannon, isn't it?
LyricalAura is offline   Reply With Quote