AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Gurren-Lagann

Notices

View Poll Results: Gurren-Lagann - Episode 27 (END) Rating
Perfect 10 340 65.01%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 97 18.55%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 35 6.69%
7 out of 10 : Good 18 3.44%
6 out of 10 : Average 8 1.53%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 0.38%
4 out of 10 : Poor 3 0.57%
3 out of 10 : Bad 2 0.38%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.19%
1 out of 10 : Painful 17 3.25%
Voters: 523. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2011-04-09, 21:33   Link #801
Anon4life

The death doesn't sting quite as bad if you've read the alt stories. But I don't think I can take another downer ending anime. I think I'll go back to long series an regular TV for a while.

The one thing I can't fully put into words is why it was such a painful and depressing ending, for me at least. There are three sides to it: I feel bad for Simon, and I felt sorry that Nia's gone, and lastly I hate that I'll never see these lovable characters again in a canon story. I don't know which one is worse though. And usually anime never sucks me into characters lives not to mention romance.

Also, the fact that they will never get to be parents bothers me. I know that TTGL tends to get people motivated, as most people can connect to the whole impossible challenges thing. And for 26.5 episodes it was pretty positive. But As I've shown in my 18 pane comic, the end seems to be more of a Forever-Alone-guy story. So what does that make the male viewer that connects to Simon, or the female viewer that connects to Nia or Yoko? not very motivated for one.

P.S.

One thing that just boggles the mind though, is the idea of someone disappearing in the TTGL universe. If you think about what happened, it would appear as if the molecules in her body suddenly lost their ability to hold mass, charge, AND energy. How does this make sense? Sure she may have previously (in the past [emphasizing comment]) been a an artificial life form, before supposedly Simon changed her to a normal human. But where in the show, has there ever been a scintilla of evidence that things could lose their ability to exist? If she was a projection, then this would be ok. Sure I'd still be sad, but it would make sense, I'd really feel like she'd never truly comeback home alive. Is the idea that somehow the energy from the anti-spirals was the only thing that kept her body stable? if so, that only points to the vain of Simon's effort -that spiral power isn't actually that strong. The mass and charge part are obvious due to the fact that she became no longer solid, but the energy part is derived from the fact that the people in the wedding didn't all die in an atomic explosion (or atleast the standard anime flash of light). So the idea here is that she completely left from existence, as in no more soul, and that Simon will I guess never, not even in heaven meet her again. Anyone disagree?

Perhaps this explains why my homework set vanished into oblivion when I accidentally broke my pencil.

Last edited by Anon4life; 2011-04-13 at 07:14. Reason: P.S.
Old 2011-04-12, 23:31   Link #802
team_Dai-Gurren
S-Class Limiter

Ah, damn Gainax endings....always bittersweet with those guys...for me it was a bit of a change in how the story went from a lighthearted journey of friends to free their future to a "y so srs?" tale of universal freedom.....you can def feel the change from first arc to the second....but alas, I loved Gurren Lagann, and altho i would have done things differently if i were in charge, i can only try to take my mind off the sadness of its ending with other anime and manga...
Old 2011-04-13, 06:49   Link #803
Leighton

Quote:
Originally Posted by team_Dai-Gurren View Post
Ah, damn Gainax endings....always bittersweet with those guys...for me it was a bit of a change in how the story went from a lighthearted journey of friends to free their future to a "y so srs?" tale of universal freedom.....you can def feel the change from first arc to the second....but alas, I loved Gurren Lagann, and altho i would have done things differently if i were in charge, i can only try to take my mind off the sadness of its ending with other anime and manga...
Yea, bittersweet it is since EARTHLINGS are going out to save ALL the Spiral life forms in the UNIVERSE... i'm not really content with the hero "forever alone" idea - the Simon i knew (which had a bit of Kamina in him) would have pursued life WITH people; more specifically, with women hehe.

Anyways, im glad to see people on here, i check it almost everyday (lawl), and you're the first person to have posted in a few days - i don't feel alone .

GOING back to Ep. 27, i think the most intriguing part was the subconscious dream trap - now that was some hell of an idea by Gainax - i think that scene was great in the fact that it appeared the Spirals were done for, but knowing Simon and the Kamina inside him, they STILL overcame such a problem.
Old 2011-04-13, 07:14   Link #804
Anon4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leighton View Post
Yea, bittersweet it is since EARTHLINGS are going out to save ALL the Spiral life forms in the UNIVERSE... i'm not really content with the hero "forever alone" idea - the Simon i knew (which had a bit of Kamina in him) would have pursued life WITH people; more specifically, with women hehe.

Anyways, im glad to see people on here, i check it almost everyday (lawl), and you're the first person to have posted in a few days - i don't feel alone .

GOING back to Ep. 27, i think the most intriguing part was the subconscious dream trap - now that was some hell of an idea by Gainax - i think that scene was great in the fact that it appeared the Spirals were done for, but knowing Simon and the Kamina inside him, they STILL overcame such a problem.
I know the forever alone guy Simon doesn't sit well, but I think its important to note the everlasting relation ship Simon had with Nia. And we can assume this, because GL is partially stolen from the Christianity. As one story goes, Jesus Christ died and went to hell, only to come later to die again and go to heaven, but not before seeing Peter and the apostles (for the briefest moment). And by JC, I mean Nia. And by hell, I mean the anti spiral world. And what was St. Peter's first name? you guessed it: Simon.

Note this has nothing to do with Christian ideology, but when it comes to late ep 27 Simon, the connection is pretty strong. That said, I don't think Simon ever found another woman.

I had still been kinda grieving Kamina up until that point. But I think that great scene dispelled and notions of despair regarding Kamina's death.
Old 2011-08-10, 01:23   Link #805
taino_man

Here were my ideas

I probably would not have made it 20 years after probably like 10 years, had Simon meet up with Yoko at Kaminas and Mais grave site, probably joined up and took a quick travel to see everyone, or even maybe had them end up getting together something more than such sad endings for all four main characters.
Old 2011-08-10, 23:31   Link #806
soccerghoul

Honestly, TTGL's ending is one of the best I've ever seen. It's incredibly sad (I'll admit to breaking down quite a bit), yet you get all kinds of pumped up for everyone during the final battle. All their losses leading up to it just make it all that sweeter. Real roller coaster of emotions and a pretty good example of how to do things the bittersweet way.

Going to have to agree Simon's motives at the end. He isn't suited to politics or running the world, his role as a savior of all spiral races has been fulfilled, and now both of the closest and most important people to him ever are dead. Makes perfect sense to me for him to choose a life laying low, watching the world from the sidelines. He certainly deserves a quiet, lifelong vacation after all that.
Old 2011-09-27, 10:24   Link #807
Ichigo75XBL

sigh...

I really thought Nia's death at the end of the series was tacked on. I mean really? Was Nia's death necessary? Did it have a driving point? NO, it didn't. I firmly believe that she only died because Gainax can't keep a female alive at the end of a series cough "Evangelion" cough. Her death really cheapened the anime for me, and that's really saying something.

At the end of the episode I was sad for all the people that had sacrificed themselves for the greater good, there sacrifices where on my mind when I watched the wedding scene as well. Then when I saw Nia and Simon kiss at the wedding, I was like "At least one good thing happened."

NOPE!!!

Then Nia disappears, Simon gives up the core drill, walks off without showing much emotion, and becomes a wondering hobo!? WTF!? After all of that happening, I just feel that her death was there for no other reason then to cause a very dramatic moment. They could have made her disappear right after the anti spirals were killed and I would have been OK with it, they could have had her sacrifice her life during the final battle by holding them off for a moment or something along those lines and I would have been OK with it. THE WAY THEY KILLED HER OFF WAS COMPLETE BS!!!

I have read most of the arguments on this part of the forum involving her death, but my argument still stands that they killed her off solely because Gainax knew it would raise a fuss, and they just CANNOT keep a female lead alive, they just CAN'T!!!

I just deem the last so many minutes of this show non canon. I pretty much cutoff the ending right when Simon and Nia kissed. Case Closed.

Teachers should always try to be wonderful!
Old 2011-12-16, 04:42   Link #808
ScudFace

The death of nia serves the purpose of completing Simon as a character. It is the theme of the hero coming in, saving the day, then leaving into the sunset ALONE like a classic western. Simon's destiny is to become an anonymous wandering hero who protects the world in the shadows and that could not have happened unless Nia died in the end. I mean, would you have preferred if they lived happily ever after as president and first lady of the new world? That would have completely ruined the development of Simon's character in the second half of the show and put his character right back at episode 17. The epitome of the japanese hero is one who shuns organizational power and protects the weak as a nameless wandering bum which was exactly what gainax was aiming for with Simon. Go watch rurounin kenshin and seven samurai if you don't believe me.
Closed Thread