AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Shin Sekai Yori

Notices

View Poll Results: Shin Sekai Yori - Episode 5 Rating
Perfect 10 10 13.51%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 20 27.03%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 14 18.92%
7 out of 10 : Good 15 20.27%
6 out of 10 : Average 6 8.11%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 6 8.11%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 2.70%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 1.35%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2012-10-27, 04:19   Link #21
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
That was an epic episode. I really like how the color scheme really matches with the mood and mindset I'm watching this with. They're slowly uncovering this mess that is the world and damn it's pretty fucked up. The visuals that accompany this makes me feel very uneasy, and that's actually good, because I shouldn't be feeling comfortable at all. And dang, epic Monk man just gets the end like that.

And why yes, we just aren't monkeys. We are more than bits and pieces of designers. And damn ugly cockblockers.

Then the end comes. Wow, it just might be gg. Will be looking forward to the next episode-- this episode is rated a 10/10

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2012-10-27, 04:53   Link #22
whitecloud

well....satoru seems to be very disappointed...who wouldn't?
Old 2012-10-27, 04:59   Link #23
Haru-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
I do think the drawing is different overall in this episode, so perhaps any differences are just a matter of different animation directors for the two eps (they are different).
Ah... that explains it. Thanks
Old 2012-10-27, 05:46   Link #24
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Past the hectic design change (which indeed made me think that all of the grew 1-2 years already) , what bothered me the most was the dramatic drop in the animation and sakuga quality: the animations are just stiff and arguably not smooth, often hidden by a not so stuble increase of erratic close up, while the perspective and direction of the actions going on were poor; that even lip synch got the shaft several times in the same episode.

Also, I assume they cut a bit too much the original material, but there was absolutely no transition in Saki and Satoru's relationship, so that sexual tension really came out of nowhere, past the library exposing the "theory" in there. For the past episodes, we have Satoru and Saki bickering each other at every single possible occasion, and now we have this? Not exactly the best "development" we got here.
Old 2012-10-27, 06:11   Link #25
Blaat

While I do think there was a tension going between Satoru and Saki since the first episode, based on a very common trope (not common enough it seems).
There is also the perfectly acceptable explanation given to us by the library in the previous episode along with the hints that Saki had sex with Marie and her own mother, and I very much doubt she had sex with her mother because of sexual tension.
Old 2012-10-27, 06:18   Link #26
whitecloud

according from what i heard in the other forum...the scene of saki x satoru is cut quite considerably...

it is supposed to go alot further than that, with oral and HJ stopping just before intercourse when they realised that are querrats watching them..

and there is supposed to be quite gory in the monk dying scene
Old 2012-10-27, 06:19   Link #27
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

[mod edit: removed hint at future content] It's just a slightly changed artstyle this ep

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2012-11-02 at 16:37.
Old 2012-10-27, 06:34   Link #28
kpk10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
While I do think there was a tension going between Satoru and Saki since the first episode, based on a very common trope (not common enough it seems).
Pretty much.

Also, she didn't had sex with her mother...
Old 2012-10-27, 06:36   Link #29
garbage

great episode , but so many questions again ahaha, this series really makes you try to wonder why.

and it was satoru that came to save/help saki instead of shun , is it because he was just nearer or something deeper. but he was quite the man here

and there goes the monk, thought he would be badass a little bit longer ^^ but that's one hell of a RAT, made of fireworks/gunpowder with shurikens for bones, was it really alive or just seemed like it. definitely effective though against powerful PKers.

hmmm wonder when the single for the ending would come out
Old 2012-10-27, 06:40   Link #30
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
There is also the perfectly acceptable explanation given to us by the library in the previous episode along with the hints that Saki had sex with Marie and her own mother, and I very much doubt she had sex with her mother because of sexual tension.
That's not surprising, and most of the audience expected Satoru to be actually attracted by Saki, due to his persistent obnoxious behaviour. However, there is a glaring gap in this series: I wouldn't mind if you have an awkward situation with Satoru and Saki at times, reflecting the possible attraction they have for each other, but so far, there wasn't any of these. You had to rely on an anime trop to conclude Satoru was interested in Saki, whereas Saki had absolutely no similar response (as she is more pissed off by Satoru's retort, than trying to do the same thing). Worse, it basically -jumped- from the usual bickering into this, which is a far cry from your usual dog/cat antics you can have with characters acting tsun to each other.
Finally, the scene actually implies it isn't the first time they do that.

Sure, the society and social relationship in Shin Sekai Yori setup is arguably different, but at the same time, it is more a problem of what has been shown and told so far that bugs me: ultimately, with what the library has stated, it was a possible outcome, but there is a missing link in there, which made the scene in this episode popping out of nowhere.

I wouldn't really be surprised if they made Saki and Maria, Shun or even Mamoru to do that, but what bothers me is the fact she was about to do that with Satoru, especially he would be on the receiving end. Hell, even Maria/Satoru wouldn't be too far of a sketch, but there is a missing portion that could lead to Saki/Satoru.
Old 2012-10-27, 07:11   Link #31
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I usually like Yamauchi but the art direction was so different from the previous episodes that it was jarring. It wasn't exactly his best work either. The animation was far from impressive. Thankfully, we're back to normal next week.

This episode was really thrilling and oppressive. I've got to say I was pretty impressed with Satoru, he reacted well in the face of danger and was surprisingly nice to Saki. Too bad for him he couldn't get a "reward", he must curse that library for putting these ideas into Saki's head

Hearing that humans were taught to behave like bonobos was one thing, but seeing it was another. It was a bit unsettling how natural it was for them to have sex to comfort each other (despite being only 12 years old... not that 12 year old don't have sex in our society) especially since they had never been shown to be that close before now. Saki seemed more attracted to Shun.

I didn't get the final scene of the episode. Why did the liquid that came out of the roof freak out Saki and Satoru so much? Is it because they thought it was the sky when it was actually... what was it anyway?
Old 2012-10-27, 07:27   Link #32
Blaat

Also an observation when the Queerat guard stomach exploded you could see several of those 'razor blade bones' sticking in his stomach. Does this mean that the queerats eat them or simply they have the exact bone structure as blowdogs?
If it's the former I really feel sorry for them as every time they need to relieve themselves will be a very painful experience. If it's the latter it might put a damper in the 'queerats used to be human' theory.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
it basically -jumped- from the usual bickering into this, which is a far cry from your usual dog/cat antics you can have with characters acting tsun to each other.
This is a part which I fully agree with, which is why I think the library explanation fills in the gap nicely. This also matches up with Saki's ultimate rejection "I'm not a monkey" she realised she was about to have sex because her societal acceptance on using sex to relieve anxiety and stress is based on a group of apes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
Finally, the scene actually implies it isn't the first time they do that.
I don't think this was the first time these two characters had sex, although not necessarily with each other.

Also the trope I linked to isn't limited to anime, so it's certainly not an anime trope.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I didn't get the final scene of the episode. Why did the liquid that came out of the roof freak out Saki and Satoru so much? Is it because they thought it was the sky when it was actually... what was it anyway?
Must be some sort of life form, hopefully we'll find out next episode.
Old 2012-10-27, 08:00   Link #33
novalysis

I think that Saki and Satoru's rather sudden transition from a bickering duo with no seeming common grounds, to a near sex scene if anything shows very effectively just what the Library TOLD we the audience last episode. Pkers have been genetically modified till they instinctively have sexual relations even with people they might not necessarily like in times of stress. I wonder whether sexual inhibitions were also removed from it, and I find monogamy actually remarkable considering the modifications done to Pkers.
Old 2012-10-27, 09:17   Link #34
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by novalysis View Post
I think that Saki and Satoru's rather sudden transition from a bickering duo with no seeming common grounds, to a near sex scene if anything shows very effectively just what the Library TOLD we the audience last episode. Pkers have been genetically modified till they instinctively have sexual relations even with people they might not necessarily like in times of stress. I wonder whether sexual inhibitions were also removed from it, and I find monogamy actually remarkable considering the modifications done to Pkers.
That was my read on it. Put two genetically engineered humans - even (barely) preteens - alone together and under extreme stress, and the bonobo hormone kicks in. There were parts of the ep that seemed a bit jarring but that bit made sense to me.
Old 2012-10-27, 09:26   Link #35
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
That was my read on it. Put two genetically engineered humans - even (barely) preteens - alone together and under extreme stress, and the bonobo hormone kicks in. There were parts of the ep that seemed a bit jarring but that bit made sense to me.
Pretty much yeah. At that moment even if it was Mamoru instead of Satoru things would have probably developed in the same way. They're conditioned to act that way; who's the partner doesn't matter.

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2012-10-27 at 13:13. Reason: remove quote of spoiler; please just report it
Old 2012-10-27, 09:30   Link #36
novalysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
Pretty much yeah. At that moment even if it was Mamoru instead of Satoru things would have developed in the same way. They're conditioned to act that way; who's the partner doesn't matter.
In-fact, I think that its quite telling that Saki manage to overcome those instincts. If this was Shun, I think resisting these instincts would have been much, much harder. If you have a crush on a person with that modification, curbing that instinct would take even more willpower.

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2012-10-27 at 13:14. Reason: edited quoted post
Old 2012-10-27, 09:39   Link #37
Utsuro no Hako

Here's my interpretation of Saki's mind during the not sex scene: "Satoru wants sex now? Fine, fine, he did try to save me ... oh, geez, does he have any idea what he's doing? I guess I'll have to take charge ... wait, why am I doing this with Satoru? Eww, monkey sex! Monkey sex!"

I wonder if Satoru's badass performance in the second half of the episode is related to the fact that Saki stopped the encounter before he ... released his tension.
Old 2012-10-27, 09:43   Link #38
Kazu-kun

Mad props to Saki for having the self-control to overcome her "monkey sex" instincts. Way to go girl!!
Old 2012-10-27, 09:47   Link #39
Ray
Garnet

New favourite character unlocked: Satoru.

Saki, you should just forget all about Shun, and go for Satoru. The way that he handled being in danger makes him one hell of a boss.

The change in art was a little jarring at first, but I got used to it after a few minutes. It helps that I prefer this art. Noses and mouths <3
Old 2012-10-27, 09:50   Link #40
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
I wonder if Satoru's badass performance in the second half of the episode is related to the fact that Saki stopped the encounter before he ... released his tension.
Maybe but I think he was under the mistaken impression that Saki stopped because they had audience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphrah View Post
Saki, you should just forget all about Shun, and go for Satoru. The way that he handled being in danger makes him one hell of a boss.
Leaving the shipping aside, I think Shun would have been pretty badass too in that situation.