AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2013-04-26, 21:31   Link #1
Jake B

Would like recommendations

First, I'm a total anime newb. I used to watch dragonball z many years ago and I loved it. But it was hard waiting a week for each episode. So i wavered off from it. So i recently watched everything dragonball/z/gt from beginning to end, was addicted, and was sad when it was over. So I started watching Bleach, I love it. I love the action, the supernatural aspect that's not toooo over the wall and they explain how their world works, the little heartfelt moments that make me tear up but it's not too constant, the unique characters, and the comedy. I'm rambling now but i would like some other anime recommendations that are dubbed in english that share these same aspects and preferably have a lot of episodes. Cause i hate when they end and want to postpone it as long as possible. I dont think I want to get into Naruto and I've seen a little cowboy bebop and i like it but it seemed it might be missing some of the things I'm hoping to find. Geez sorry for writing a novel and thanks for any replies
Jake B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-26, 21:52   Link #2
Cold~as~Ice
this is how its done

is it okay if if they are subbed instead?

I have a crunchyroll paid account so If you are interested I can give you free pass to access HQ anime.
Old 2013-04-27, 03:47   Link #3
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Do they have to be dubbed? You'd be missing out on a lot of awesome anime if you just stick to dubs. Not a mention, most dubs are just poorly done with cheap, untrained voice actors, unlike original Japanese voice actors who actually have to go through voice acting school most of the time.

The best-fitting example of an anime you may like that I can think of right now is Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. It's a whopping 64 episodes that never feel too long or draggy. The story is awesome and emotionally engaging and the action is sensational. It's one of my top TV anime at the moment. Make sure you watch the 2009 show and not the 2003 one. And maybe you can try out the Japanese audio and see if you're fine with it.
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-27, 08:01   Link #4
MUAHAHAHAHAHA
Hail the power of Fujoshi

Seconding what Tempester said. It is my feeling that Japanese voice actors receive much more training, and their voices are better in channelling emotions so that we the audience could feel it. If you watch Jap audio with English subtitles, you can still understand the dialogues.

Oh yes, FMA definitely fulfils your requirement. Like Tempester said, don't watch the 2003 version. It's not exactly bad compared to the 2009 version, but the 2009 version follows the manga ending as opposed to the original ending the 2003 version carved for itself.

Anyway, I recommend Slam Dunk. It has about 100+ episodes, but I assure you it's one of the best long-running animes out there. It has got comedy, friendship, basketball action and a bit of romance. Most importantly, what I like is that it has got depth in terms of character development for the main character. He is quite a loser and a jerk in the beginning, but as he discovers his love for basketball, he becomes more mature. I watched Slam Dunk about 5 times (reruns on Animax), and each time I was still hooked. It hasn't got any supernatural element, but if you can overlook this, I am sure you will come to appreciate this little gem.
MUAHAHAHAHAHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-27, 09:19   Link #5
Jake B

The thing is my mom watched all of dragonball/z/gt with me and currently we're on ep. 100 or so of bleach. I dont think she would give one a chance if it was subtitled unfortunately. I'm most concerned with finding one we could watch together when we get to the point of waiting each saturday for the new bleach episodes. She loves dragonball and bleach so far. That being said, I'm willing to give subtitles a shot for a really good anime! But that would be something I would watch on my own Thanks everyone for the recommendations so far I'll definitely check them out!
Old 2013-04-27, 18:56   Link #6
kitten320

I duno which ones are dubbed since I personally can't stand it so I'll just list the titles that culd be of your interest:

Fairy Tail
Soul Eater

FMA
- I'm sure this one is dubbed. It has 2 seasons, one has anime original story and 2nd follows manga. Only the first 10 or so episodes are similar, the rest is different. Some characters differ as well. I love both of them. If you won't like one, you might like the other. One of the best shounen series out there. Great characters, comedy, drama, action, unique and entertaining world... Everything you need!

D.Gray Man
One Piece

Yu yu Hakusho - Bleach was based on it and 100% has dub.

Hunter x Hunter - there are old series and new that are airing right now. Old series slightly changed some thing around but are good. New series are a more lighthearted remake and should cover new material as well. I watched both version. Pretty sure old one is dubbed, duno about new one.

Ao no Exorcist
Inuyasha
Katekyo Hitman Reborn!
Toaru Majutsu no Index

Fate/stay night
- if you don't mind to try something a bit more serious for a change. It's prequel Fate/Zero is much better and darker as well.

Full Metal Panic!
Code Geass
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann

If you wish to try out Mecha genre.

Kuroko no Basket
Major

If you wish to try out sport genre.

These should keep you busy for a while.
Old 2013-04-27, 21:37   Link #7
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake B View Post
The thing is my mom watched all of dragonball/z/gt with me and currently we're on ep. 100 or so of bleach. I dont think she would give one a chance if it was subtitled unfortunately. I'm most concerned with finding one we could watch together when we get to the point of waiting each saturday for the new bleach episodes. She loves dragonball and bleach so far. That being said, I'm willing to give subtitles a shot for a really good anime! But that would be something I would watch on my own Thanks everyone for the recommendations so far I'll definitely check them out!
Then I would strongly recommend Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood.

It has a really good dub.

Full Metal Panic might be another possibility, it has a good dub as well. A strange mashup of romance, comedy and action. Will be especially funny if one of you is a fan of American War Movies.

Inuyasha is a bit older (about Dragonball Z's age) but it has a good dub. Tends to be popular with women too.

Soul Eater is a possibility, although I'll warn you that the first 4 to 6 episodes are a little "pervy" before those elements basically all disappear.

Madoka Magica may look girly for the first few episodes, but I think you could enjoy it, and I'm sure your mom would love it. Has a decent dub, and is one of the most popular anime to come out recently.

Tiger and Bunny might also be fun to watch. If you like American superheroes. I think the dub has just come out to.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-28, 16:58   Link #8
Jake B

You guys really are great thank you so much! I'll check all these out. I can tell my new found anime love will be fulfilled for a while. After some time I'd like to share which ones I love the most
Old 2013-04-28, 17:04   Link #9
kitten320

Please do, we will be able to suggest more from then on
Old 2013-04-28, 20:22   Link #10
Trudinh

NARUTO!!!!!, if u haven't try it yet.
Trudinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-28, 20:41   Link #11
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I'll give you an entirely off-the-wall suggestion that your mother may like even more than you, and that's Nodame Cantabile. You'll have to watch the stream at Crackle, though. I don't know whether that is convenient or not. But it does have English dubbing, the little of which I've listened to isn't bad. (This show was never released on DVD in North America, so this is the only place where you can see the dubbed version. There are "fansubbed" versions as well.)

I'll add two more suggestions that come from the supernatural adventure genre. One is the classic Twelve Kingdoms, while the other is Seirei no Moribito. Both of these have dubs, and both feature strong female characters as the protagonists. You can watch Moribito for free at Crunchyroll with subtitles; for the dubs, you'll have to buy or rent the DVDs. Twelve Kingdoms is not streamed anywhere that I know of.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2013-04-28 at 21:15.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-29, 17:54   Link #12
Eragon
Still Alive

Hmm, if I remember correctly, Blood+ was dubbed. The show has a lot of blood as you can guess so, if you aren't comfortable with a LOT of blood don't watch it. If you are, then the story and characters are quite good.

I would have recommended Berserk(I think it was dubbed too) if you were not watching it with your parent - it gets really nasty(and awkward for you) down the line.

Seconding Slam Dunk - that thing is hilarious as all hell and has pretty neat basketball.

Death Note - Now this is one show I would never-ever watch subbed. The English VA's do an absolutely amazing job in this show. Watch this - preferably as soon as you can.

If you like street racing then the first 2 seasons of Initial D are dubbed as far as I know.

Law of Ueki - Has premise very similar to Bleach and DBZ.

Yakitate Japan - This show is pretty fun. All about bread you'll ever need to know is in here.
Old 2013-05-01, 05:24   Link #13
ice4sale
~~Kori~~

Flame of Recca
YU YU Hakusho
or Hunter x Hunter
<a rel=nofollow href=http://forum.selfishzero.com/uploads/profile/photo-13.gif?_r=1367455508?_r=d3d23450865e89ec01839313d2f90325 target=_blank>http://forum.selfishzero.com/uploads...839313d2f90325</a>
ice4sale is offline   Reply With Quote