AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2007-09-07, 03:33   Link #1
Ziv

Anime Eye Shape Theory of Personality

I've been looking at various anime and this theory fits pretty well. Tell me what you think.

#1. The taller a character's eyes, the more feminine/laid back they are. The shorter they are, the more masculine/serious they are.

#2. The rounder the top of a character's eyes are, the more outwardly cheerful, empathetic, or emotional they are.

#3. Characters whose eyes form sharp, acute angles tend to be aggressive or short-tempered. This usually also applies to characters whose eyelashes form sharp points on one side.

Keep in mind that this is relative to the drawing style of the anime in question. Some animes have characters whose eyes are all rounded to some degree, but do have characters whose eyes are noticeably sharper or flatter than others.

Last edited by Ziv; 2007-09-07 at 13:36.
Ziv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-07, 06:57   Link #2
Radiosity
Sexy Tornado
*Artist

There's a good reason for that. Same one as is used for whacky hair colours. It defines the character, more or less, because anime characters all look the same to a greater or lesser extent, so they have to rely heavily on things like eye shape and hair colour to really distinguish between characters and character types/ archetypes.
Radiosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-07, 07:48   Link #3
Diaboso
we girls arnt safe!
*Artist

Well I do know and note the reason for them doing it, but it sholdent be that predictable. They should try to mix it up from time to time. Mixing it up dose cause confusion the first few times but then it would be fine. (not that its toltily relevant but) I have been told I have very serious/angry eyes yet I am noting of the sort....I just think to much, witch puts me in a bad mood usualy
Diaboso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-07, 08:23   Link #4
wao
OK.

I think that's actually the way they really do it, not really a theory of sorts... One of the best examples to see this is Rurouni Kenshin, where the design of Kenshin's eyes changes drastically depending on what sort of mood he's in. He has huge, round sparkly girly-like eyes in his usual "Oro?" self, and when he gets more serious it becomes less round, there's less eyeball, and again when he's in his killer Battousai mood the edges are sharp, the eye is narrow and more stretched out.

Whereas characters like Aoshi and Saitou have perpetually narrow sharp-ish eyes.

I think this is based off real human expressions where, fundamentally speaking, when your eyes are rounder and more curvy you're generally
seen as more genial than someone with sharper features.
Old 2007-09-07, 10:34   Link #5
Kamui4356
Aria Company

From what I've seen, the rounder the character's eyes, the more innocent they are. By innocent I mean they don't really understand how the world works, having only a limited view of it.

Characters with sharper eyes on the other hand tend to have more experience with the world and how it works. They have a more cynical outlook on things.

I'm not sure this is true as much now as it was with older series, but I still see it.
Old 2007-09-07, 13:34   Link #6
Ziv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diaboso View Post
Well I do know and note the reason for them doing it, but it sholdent be that predictable. They should try to mix it up from time to time. Mixing it up dose cause confusion the first few times but then it would be fine. (not that its toltily relevant but) I have been told I have very serious/angry eyes yet I am noting of the sort....I just think to much, witch puts me in a bad mood usualy
They do do that. That's why Sakaki from Azumanga Daioh and Minami Iwasaki from Lucky Star are so misunderstood.
Old 2007-09-07, 13:47   Link #7
Diaboso
we girls arnt safe!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziv View Post
They do do that. That's why Sakaki from Azumanga Daioh and Minami Iwasaki from Lucky Star are so misunderstood.
yes they do do it but I was talking on an overall general term (their are exceptions to everythign)
Old 2007-09-07, 14:02   Link #8
Ziv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diaboso View Post
yes they do do it but I was talking on an overall general term (their are exceptions to everythign)
There's no point in confusing your audience unless you have a reason to. Characters whose eyes do not reflect their personality usually have some kind of subplot explaining why.

Last edited by Ziv; 2007-09-07 at 18:12.
Old 2007-09-07, 14:46   Link #9
Diaboso
we girls arnt safe!
*Artist

Pa! whats the point of emotion if your stuck in only one or to of them all the time.
Old 2007-09-11, 01:46   Link #10
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
While it is mostly true, you can still add a slantier eye to a character and still make their personality different.

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-11, 07:39   Link #11
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
This topic feels....familiar. I've noticed this too actually. I've also noticed that characters who's eyes appear to be closed all the time are usually very wise and or perverted for some reason.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote