AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

Old 2010-06-10, 18:45   Link #2301
magnuskn

Hm, I guess that confirms that the first movie will be out on DVD this year... since its release would be good promotion for movie number two.
Old 2010-06-10, 19:19   Link #2302
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
Hm, I guess that confirms that the first movie will be out on DVD this year... since its release would be good promotion for movie number two.
Yes...it'd be kind of dumb on the filmmakers' part to release the second one before getting the first one to wider audience.
Yot-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-11, 03:28   Link #2303
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yot-chan View Post
Yes...it'd be kind of dumb on the filmmakers' part to release the second one before getting the first one to wider audience.
Well, they surely milked its cinema run for all its worth, if it still running in some locations.
Old 2010-06-11, 03:34   Link #2304
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

That's good to hear about the second film, and yeah it probably means we'll see a DVD/blu-ray release of the first film before Winter.
Old 2010-06-14, 03:47   Link #2305
robotenchi
robotenchi

Send a message via MSN to robotenchi
Am I the only one who hasn't seen the Macross Frontier Movie, everybody on the macross forum seems to have seen it. Now if I can just find a english subtitled Macross Frontier movie I can criticize it just like everyone else lol.

Robotenchi
robotenchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-14, 04:33   Link #2306
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

@Robotenchi
Nope. You'll find that at least half the posters here probably haven't seen it (to say nothing of those who are avoiding the forum until a sub is available). And those of us who have seen it are waiting too, because there's really no discussion with just so few of us...

edit: update on cinemas - it's opening in three more cinemas, in Hokkaido, Okayama and Kumamoto Prefectures, on June 26. Kinda annoying, since it's not playing anywhere else atm... Still no news on DVD/BD though...

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

karice67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-14, 06:14   Link #2307
robotenchi
robotenchi

Send a message via MSN to robotenchi
Some of the guys in the anime club I am with, have also mentioned that the DVD should be out soon , but I have been hearing that for the last 4 months. But I am always on anime suki , I guess sooner or later someone will know.

Also does anyone know what that Bum Tobey Maguire is doing with Robotech Movie rights?

Robotenchi
robotenchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-14, 07:20   Link #2308
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

I haven't seen it yet. CAM-Rips being the only option for the asian-challenged people makes it a big no-no, to me.

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-14, 08:23   Link #2309
justavisitor

I've been waiting several months for the DVD..there is no reason to see the Cam-rips

Besides, my passion for the series seems to be fading a bit...it has been too long and the DVD still hasn't come out yet....I am going to check out Nanoha's movie section

Edit:
Damn, Nanoha's DVD still hasn't come out yet...well Kamen rider W is the way to go at this moment
I am a Ranka fan and I have significant experience in defending various "crimes" committed by Ranka, from her evil plan to terminate human races, to feeding inapporiate food to unknown lifeforms. If you think you find "new" charges aginst Ranka and you are interested, or you care to see how a particular Ranka fan would respond, please feel free to check my previous comment. There is a good chance that I have answered a similiar issue. And of course, my viewpoints do not necessarily represent other perspectivs from numerous Ranka fans in this planet
justavisitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-14, 10:29   Link #2310
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

I've watched camrips in the past, but yeah Macross is much more special to me, and i'd rather the viewing i have of the film to be one i can truly enjoy to the max.
Old 2010-06-14, 11:42   Link #2311
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by robotenchi View Post
Also does anyone know what that Bum Tobey Maguire is doing with Robotech Movie rights?
Still deluding himself that he is anywhere near the age category to play Rick Hunter?

Seriously, though, unless his production company wants to go through litigation hell, they'll do an original story and slap "Robotech" on it.
Old 2010-06-14, 12:46   Link #2312
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Still deluding himself that he is anywhere near the age category to play Rick Hunter?

Seriously, though, unless his production company wants to go through litigation hell, they'll do an original story and slap "Robotech" on it.
Apparently not...Sylvain White (director of such "blockbusters" as I'll Always Know What You Did Last Summer, Stomp the Yard, and The Losers) was given a draft of the script a few months ago. He said it was based on the "first generation" of Robotech, and that he liked it.

http://www.iesb.net/index.php?option...913&Itemid=171

So, apparently, they ARE trying to make it a Macross movie...but it's all still in the very early stages.
Old 2010-06-14, 17:44   Link #2313
magnuskn

Quote:
Apparently not...Sylvain White (director of such "blockbusters" as I'll Always Know What You Did Last Summer, Stomp the Yard, and The Losers) was given a draft of the script a few months ago. He said it was based on the "first generation" of Robotech, and that he liked it.

So, apparently, they ARE trying to make it a Macross movie...but it's all still in the very early stages.
C'mon, Kawamori ain't seriously gonna let them steal the Macross story, won't he? The people who hold the rights in Japan gotta sue against that!
Old 2010-06-14, 18:21   Link #2314
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
C'mon, Kawamori ain't seriously gonna let them steal the Macross story, won't he? The people who hold the rights in Japan gotta sue against that!
We should probably move this over to the Robotech thread...but there are two problems here (that I can see):

1. We don't know how much in terms of rights HG holds, but it seems to be considerable. Yes, the character and mecha designs are registered with Big West and Studio Nue in the U.S. (and, I believe, worldwide), but HG owns the "outside of Japan" rights for pretty much everything else. The big question for me is, "Who owns the story?" and I'm worried that that may be in HG's hands as well.

2. Big West and Studio Nue have appeared to be pretty uninterested in what goes on with Macross outside of Japan. If they didn't sue over Astro Plan, what makes you think they'll sue over this? Additionally, Big West versus Warner Brothers...? One of them's a multimillion-dollar, global corporation with entire battalions of lawyers, one's a pretty small Japanese company. In any legal skirmish, Big West would probably get crushed like a grape.

So there ya go...it's not pretty, but I think it's accurate.
Old 2010-06-15, 00:46   Link #2315
wisteria233

Quote:

Why am I getting horrible Dragon Ball Evolution flashbacks?
wisteria233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-15, 02:48   Link #2316
magnuskn

Quote:
We should probably move this over to the Robotech thread...but there are two problems here (that I can see):

1. We don't know how much in terms of rights HG holds, but it seems to be considerable. Yes, the character and mecha designs are registered with Big West and Studio Nue in the U.S. (and, I believe, worldwide), but HG owns the "outside of Japan" rights for pretty much everything else. The big question for me is, "Who owns the story?" and I'm worried that that may be in HG's hands as well.

2. Big West and Studio Nue have appeared to be pretty uninterested in what goes on with Macross outside of Japan. If they didn't sue over Astro Plan, what makes you think they'll sue over this? Additionally, Big West versus Warner Brothers...? One of them's a multimillion-dollar, global corporation with entire battalions of lawyers, one's a pretty small Japanese company. In any legal skirmish, Big West would probably get crushed like a grape.

So there ya go...it's not pretty, but I think it's accurate.
<sigh> You are probably right, but I thought it was pretty comprehensively cleared up that HG owns marketing rights to Macross games, etc. etc., but the characters and story were copyrighted by Studio Nue. At least Seto Kaiba on Macross World thinks so. ^^
Old 2010-07-13, 03:55   Link #2317
KaoruLia

Is it just me or is there hardly any new information about the second Macross F movie? Is Kawamori keeping things under tight wraps now?
KaoruLia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-13, 16:39   Link #2318
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaoruLia View Post
Is it just me or is there hardly any new information about the second Macross F movie? Is Kawamori keeping things under tight wraps now?
There wasn't really that much info on the first movie until one month before release, so expect the same on this one. Although a poster would be nice by now...
Old 2010-07-13, 17:44   Link #2319
Foreshadow
Nyaa~

Waaah..

Just got back from Japan, I couldn't find the Movie playing ANYWHERE in the Tokyo region. I did figure that it wasn't going to be, but I at least had some hope...

Oh, well I just have to wait until the DVD comes out.

Picked up the Blue rays while I was there though, Jeez those were expensive..
Foreshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-13, 18:00   Link #2320
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreshadow View Post
Just got back from Japan, I couldn't find the Movie playing ANYWHERE in the Tokyo region. I did figure that it wasn't going to be, but I at least had some hope...
Yeah, it's been out of Tokyo cinemas for ages. Only place left when I checked last week was in Hokkaido, though it's ending its run this week, IIRC.

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

karice67 is offline   Reply With Quote