AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations > Custom Requests

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-09-20, 11:04   Link #1
Corn
Gotta kill 'em all!

Question Is it too late to watch Dragon Ball?

I have watched alot of Bleach and Naruto and all that sort of stuff, but I have never watched Dragon Ball, but it's such a famous show.
As a kid I loved the figures in bobblegum machines. I thought the characters had wicked hair.

Now I see alot of Dragon Ball getting released on Blu-Ray, and there are still alot of Dragon Ball merchandise and video games being made. It made me think if I would/could have fun watching it.

It's an old series, and it's long. As I understand it, there are three main series - Dragon Ball. Dragon Ball Z. And Dragon Ball GT.
Apparently there is also a manga of all three, and many films.

I have never read a manga in my life. And I am still looking for a cool shounen manga to read, so I also thought about the possibility of experiencing the series and its story in manga form.

But after having watched stuff like Samurai Champloo and Naruto and that sort of stuff, is it likely that Dragon Ball will feel outdated to me?

So many people seem to hate the show, and many say they grew up with it. It makes me wonder if I will be able to appreciate it now, at my age(21).
Also I heard alot of opinions about the dub vs sub in the anime, and the edits of gore in the series. Is there even any real gore?

Im reluctant to try it out, because the DVDs are quite expenssive. You think I would enjoy it?
Or is it past its prime. Is the fights to old and outdated. Is the plot points to obvious and generic. Am I past it's designated demographic?

It just seems like such an anime, that everyone but me has watched. Watching Youtube videos of some dudes flying and fighting aliens set to Linkin Park don't impress me, but then again - I can't really judge a show by that!
Old 2008-09-20, 11:09   Link #2
AceD
See You En' Tee

its never to late to watch something is it? if you wanna watch it just watch it !

Dragonball isnt much fighting, Dragonball Z is the insane fighting, Dragonball GT is just crap

if you like bleach and naruto, you will like dragonball z..
Old 2008-09-20, 12:20   Link #3
incube
Dango Master
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voracious Hollow View Post
its never to late to watch something is it? if you wanna watch it just watch it !

Dragonball isnt much fighting, Dragonball Z is the insane fighting, Dragonball GT is just crap

if you like bleach and naruto, you will like dragonball z..
Very true. Although im not so sure if you will like it that much after watching more up to date animes like bleach or naruto. I would give it a try from like 10 episodes of DB and in case you didnt like it, try some episodes of DBZ. If that didnt convince you then DB GT isnt for you.
Old 2008-09-20, 13:00   Link #4
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Personally I found the Baby saga from GT to be the most interesting of the whole series, and Baby as a whole to be the most believable villain, but maybe that's just me.
Old 2008-09-20, 14:47   Link #5
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

i think the cell arc from dbz is the best for me. i love how gohan beat the crap out of cell
Closed Thread