AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2017-07-18, 23:43   Link #1
Toukairin
Banned

Dunkirk (Christopher Nolan movie, 07/21/17)

OK, I'm quite surprised this doesn't have its own thread.

With Christopher Nolan entering the war drama genre, it looks like he nailed it right and even more when he chose to depict the terror in the eyes of the soldiers rather than the horror of the war itself. That is what the first reviews have pointed out, but I'm currently waiting for the movie to be shown in theaters, especially in IMAX.

According to Nolan, he chose to mainly cast actors who are quite new in the business. Even though Kenneth Branagh, Mark Rylance, Tom Hardy, and Cillian Murphy are there, the main focus would be on the anxiety and the fear of the 400,000 men who had to be evacuated. Battle scenes used only old-school practical effects, and no CGI work was done.

In order to refresh your mind, here's the main trailer:

Twelve days ago, Watertower Music Records released this track composed by Hans Zimmer. You can expect to hear this cue during air battle scenes since the name is straightforward.

Toukairin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-19, 20:32   Link #2
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
Been looking forward to this for a while. Seeing it Saturday.

Kind of want to go to the IMAX showing a bit south of me, but my friend wants to see a regular showing because IMAX gives him a headache.

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-20, 11:40   Link #3
barcode120x
MSN, FNP-C

I have been waiting for this film too. Doesn't seem to have as much war-action compared to other recent military films, but I am definitely wanting to watch this for the plot and acting. I probably won't watch this till next week though due to work, can't wait!

"Caring may occur without curing, but curing cannot occur without caring."

“Uncertainty is the most disturbing part of decision making.”
barcode120x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-21, 18:47   Link #4
Toukairin
Banned

Just came back from the theater in IMAX. In one word: WOW!

I was on the edge of my seat from the very first gunshot in the opening scene to the end of the movie. For the little amount of dialogue you would find in the movie, Christopher Nolan really exploited nonverbal cues to the maximum when displaying fear. As a result, the intensity of the scenes speaking for themselves was the main thing you have to see. I seriously believe that Dunkirk has to be ranked up there with Das Boot if you want a war movie that shows raw and intense human emotion in its full glory.

For the Stukas... they were genuinely depicted as a terrifying threat whenever they come to the attack. Until Dunkirk, I don't think movies ever correctly depicted how dangerous that machine was at one point in WW2. As for other historical aspects involving military hardware, we can see scenes where trucks are being used as a makeshift piers. Long lines of abandoned rifles, dispersed abandoned helmets, and abandoned vehicles are also shown to capture the chaos of that evacuation.

Spoiler for Don't read if you want to see the movie first:

As for the music, Hans Zimmer really nailed the fear effect in that race for survival. I don't think anyone else would have composed music in a way that it would act as an extra actor in the scenes.

Last edited by Toukairin; 2017-07-26 at 09:38.
Old 2017-07-22, 19:11   Link #5
JagdPanther

Saw it today. It was phenomenal. It took me a little bit to get into the flow of things and see how each story was connected, but when I did, it was generally easy to follow.

I think the complaints about the lack of the French in the movie are unfounded. They appear reasonably frequently throughout the film and are key to the storyline.

I don't recall the cameo you mentioned, Toukarin. I read about it, but not until after the film.

Old 2017-07-22, 20:16   Link #6
Toukairin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagdPanther View Post
I don't recall the cameo you mentioned, Toukarin. I read about it, but not until after the film.
When I heard his voice as as radio communication for the Royal Air Force, I knew right away it was him. In any case, Christopher Nolan was certainly not going to go ahead without such a regular actor from his movies.

Speaking of which, his presence is kind of a throwback to the days when he was on the cast of Battle of Britain.
Old 2017-07-23, 19:25   Link #7
JagdPanther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toukairin View Post
When I heard his voice as as radio communication for the Royal Air Force, I knew right away it was him. In any case, Christopher Nolan was certainly not going to go ahead without such a regular actor from his movies.

Speaking of which, his presence is kind of a throwback to the days when he was on the cast of Battle of Britain.
Yeah, I read that part. I just cannot recall when that occurred. I don't recall a general RAF voice. I just remember the flight leader.

Old 2017-07-24, 09:19   Link #8
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Veteran of Dunkirk watches the movie.
Old 2017-07-24, 10:03   Link #9
HasuMasu
*Artist

Weird that this thread is new I'm so hype to watch it
Old 2017-07-25, 18:18   Link #10
Toukairin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagdPanther View Post
Yeah, I read that part. I just cannot recall when that occurred. I don't recall a general RAF voice. I just remember the flight leader.
I saw it for a second time today. He is indeed the voice of the flight leader, my bad.