AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Monogatari Series

Notices

Old 2009-07-26, 20:27   Link #761
Yuutsu

I get headaches from playing any first-person shooter, but I don't get headaches from watching Bakemonogatari. Is this show really all that seizure-inducing?

Then again, I've watched rapidly flashing screens of all kinds of light without really being affected...
Yuutsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-26, 21:57   Link #762
solomon

Quote:
Originally Posted by te2rx View Post
I blasted through eps 1-4 last night... what a wild show. It blows my planet up visually. It's so great to see an anime where every scene drips with unbound visual creativity. I don't follow Shaft/Shinbo anime religiously so perhaps I'm not as burned out as others here, but regardless of what they've done in the past, I feel the highly eccentric production (with its jarring photo and graphic inserts) is both effective and justified in Bakemonogatari:

It's also great to see Akio Watanabe's (Poyoyon Rock's) clean, plasticky pop designs used effectively. They've crafted a world so aggressively artificial, filled with constantly absurd dialogue, that watching Bakemonogatari feels like I'm peering into someone's hazy dream than seeing a world meant to be believed. With its aggressive pop design & characters, unreal settings, and unpredictable pacing, blocking and editing, the whole show casts a ghostly removed atmosphere.

I'm a fan of anything that can subvert pop/moé aesthetics like that.

Agree with everything that this dude says, with the added compliment of the writing. It's been a long time scince I found a show that had such genuinelly funny dialogue and it's 99% Senjougahara's, such sharp, witty lines you rarely see in anime (let alone used as well as they are here).
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-26, 23:12   Link #763
sirn
田舎者言うな

Quote:
(previous post)

Episode 5: Mayoi Snail - Part 3 (まよいマイマイ 其ノ參)
Script: Kizawa Yukito (木澤行人)
Storyboard: Takeuchi Nobuyuki (武内宣之)
Episode Director: Mikamo Yoshihito (美甘義人)
Animation Director: Takeuchi Nobuyuki (武内宣之)
Really have no idea who is this 美甘義人 as he never participate in Shaft's shows before; he served as episode director for ep9 of MOONLIGHT MILE, ep12 of Kimi ga Aruji de Shitsuji ga Ore de and ep12 of Happiness!. Seeing Takeuchi Nobuyuki credited as Animation Director, I'm sure it'll at least look better than ep4.
sirn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-26, 23:26   Link #764
KyntE
Ebilness~

Send a message via Yahoo to KyntE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiga View Post
Needs moar imagespam.

lol poor araragi

currenty watching: bakemonogatari & princess lover
KyntE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-26, 23:52   Link #765
qwertyman
Izumi is the best!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuutsu View Post
I get headaches from playing any first-person shooter, but I don't get headaches from watching Bakemonogatari. Is this show really all that seizure-inducing?

Then again, I've watched rapidly flashing screens of all kinds of light without really being affected...
Sounds like you have a motion sickness sort of problem. You won't encounter that with Bakemonogatari.
qwertyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-27, 00:09   Link #766
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyntE View Post
lol poor araragi
who's the girl in the front middle?

of course, leave it to Senjougahara to be holding the leash...

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-27, 00:11   Link #767
aulzon

Anyone get the riddle or question that Mayoi told Araragi? What was up with that.

I tried looking it up and Koyomi's answer was right (Baku or Tapirs apparantly eat dreams according to chinese and japanese mythology, guess he is smarter than Senjougahara gives him credit for)

I tired looking up the kanji for dream and humans and they don't match either? Ideas? Was it just like humans eat other people dreams or is there a pun or joke I'm not getting.
aulzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-27, 00:21   Link #768
Raiga
tl;dr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magin View Post
Judging by the site... that's Kanbaru Suruga who gets introduced... erm, oh, next arc it looks like (Suruga Monkey).
Quote:
Originally Posted by aulzon View Post
Anyone get the riddle or question that Mayoi told Araragi? What was up with that.

I tried looking it up and Koyomi's answer was right (Baku or Tapirs apparantly eat dreams according to chinese and japanese mythology, guess he is smarter than Senjougahara gives him credit for)

I tired looking up the kanji for dream and humans and they don't match either? Ideas? Was it just like humans eat other people dreams or is there a pun or joke I'm not getting.
The baku part seems to have been explained earlier in this thread but as for the "humans" part... I dunno. Araragi did say "that's not very clever." :P

Kids often come up with not-particularly-funny jokes that they think are the cleverest things ever (I should know, I've got a little sister). Perhaps that's all there was to the line... wouldn't put it past it to have more meaning, though.
Old 2009-07-27, 00:25   Link #769
sirn
田舎者言うな

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magin View Post
Kanbaru Suruga.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aulzon View Post
Think of "dream" as in "wish". Arararagi answers it mythically so Mayoi response it metaphorically.
sirn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-27, 00:35   Link #770
zato_1one

According to Ep1, the arcs order will be

Hitagi Crab -> Mayoi Snail -> Suruga Monkey -> Nadeko Snake -> Tsubasa Cat -> Koyomi Vampire

Is it already confirmed about number of episode? I read in AniDB. It said 12 episodes.
Old 2009-07-27, 00:46   Link #771
Raiga
tl;dr

Quote:
Originally Posted by zato_1one View Post

Hitagi Crab -> Mayoi Snail -> Suruga Monkey -> Nadeko Snake -> Tsubasa Cat -> Koyomi Vampire

Is it already confirmed about number of episode? I read in AniDB. It said 12 episodes.
15, with the last two or three streamed on line due to lack of TV airing time.
Old 2009-07-27, 01:15   Link #772
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:

To confirm what Raiga says, here is a snippet from Moonphase: "TV 12話+WEB 3話・全15話 / 音楽 : 神前暁 / アニメ制作 : シャフト" AniDB is a useful site, but it has its limit. 15 episodes also make sense considering this arc starts from episode 4. So if we assume each arc takes 2 episodes to finish, we are already looking at 13 episodes.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-27, 05:11   Link #773
Clarste
Human

Out of curiosity, does anyone think Araragi will ever level up to Senjougahara's level? She's really a show stealer when she talks, and Araragi can't keep up (although you can see him try several times). Will this be the standard, or will they end up on more equal footing? I've read on several blogs that Araragi is the weak link of the show right now, and I can't say I completely disagree.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-27, 05:50   Link #774
apr
Pedestrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
Out of curiosity, does anyone think Araragi will ever level up to Senjougahara's level? She's really a show stealer when she talks, and Araragi can't keep up (although you can see him try several times). Will this be the standard, or will they end up on more equal footing? I've read on several blogs that Araragi is the weak link of the show right now, and I can't say I completely disagree.
Most of Araragi's retorts actually happen in his head, as the novels are written in first person narrative. The anime cut 99% of that, so he comes out a bit flat.
Old 2009-07-27, 06:27   Link #775
Lord Ryo
Noblesse Oblige

Send a message via AIM to Lord Ryo
I actually find Araragi to be a pretty interesting character, although nothing like Senjougahara. With most animes (especially nowadays) you tend to always find weak male leads, notably true in animes with a dominating female cast. But I think his comments and reactions to Senjougahara’s jabs are pretty funny.
Lord Ryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-27, 09:37   Link #776
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:

I thought they were just animating Bakemonogatari which should mean no Koyomi Vampire than.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-27, 09:59   Link #777
Raiga
tl;dr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
I thought they were just animating Bakemonogatari which should mean no Koyomi Vampire than.
Missed that part of zato_1one's post before. Yeah, just five arcs, no Koyomi Vamp.
Old 2009-07-27, 10:50   Link #778
teelotes
·¥äkítðrý·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Ryo View Post
I actually find Araragi to be a pretty interesting character, although nothing like Senjougahara. With most animes (especially nowadays) you tend to always find weak male leads, notably true in animes with a dominating female cast. But I think his comments and reactions to Senjougahara’s jabs are pretty funny.
I don't think he is weak. He doesn't shy away from approaching Tsundere-chan, and he voluntarily helped Miss Snail. He's just inexperienced, shy, and has principles like honesty and respect for the female gender. He's slowly learning though, catching on to methods like bribery.

But wait... would an ice-cream or a 100-yen note be a bribe? I have a feeling some parents/babysitters do that.

I like his reactions too. Positive feedback that enhances Tsundere-chan's attacks.
teelotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-27, 12:56   Link #779
aulzon

Quote:
Kids often come up with not-particularly-funny jokes that they think are the cleverest things ever (I should know, I've got a little sister). Perhaps that's all there was to the line... wouldn't put it past it to have more meaning, though.
K, it looked like Araragi flinched right after he said that wasn't really clever.

Was wondering if he went like, oh I get the answer, or did he get bitten lol.
aulzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-27, 13:13   Link #780
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Well , its Shaft ^^ they always did weirds scenes everywhere
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adventure, comedy, fantasy, romance, shaft, supernatural