Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2014-08-17, 10:15   Link #1321
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by JokerD View Post
So I'm planning to visit Japan (again) early next year for the Sapporo and Ashikawa Winter Festival. Any idea if I should make Ashikawa a day trip or spend a night there? I'm kinda torn between the 2.
Pick one that has a higher chance of a snowstorm. In that way you can take awesome pictures of the winter festival in heavy snow!

According to Google, Sapporo winter festival has more activities, like the snow slide which opens until 1700H, while the Ashikawa Winter Festival is more for sightseers. The Odori site however, seems to be more viewtiful from the Sapporo TV tower at night.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-21, 08:53   Link #1322
Zakoo

Back to tokyo, a very nice trip so far. kyoto really gave me the biggest impression so far, all those temples and shrines, it was magnificient. kinkaku was especially beautiful. i do not understand the hype on ryouanji though paying 500yens to see 3 rocks honestly pissed me. off hard.

well one week left we are residing in asakusa si we visited the area around this afternoon, impressive we just returned from a bar with an open view on the skytree and the shrines,.it was breathtaking.

i kind of understood that roppongi was the fun place so i guess we will go there tomorrow. haa, all thoses interesting places to see. gotta catch them all.
Zakoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-21, 09:45   Link #1323
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakoo View Post
Back to tokyo, a very nice trip so far. kyoto really gave me the biggest impression so far, all those temples and shrines, it was magnificient. kinkaku was especially beautiful. i do not understand the hype on ryouanji though paying 500yens to see 3 rocks honestly pissed me. off hard.

well one week left we are residing in asakusa si we visited the area around this afternoon, impressive we just returned from a bar with an open view on the skytree and the shrines,.it was breathtaking.

i kind of understood that roppongi was the fun place so i guess we will go there tomorrow. haa, all thoses interesting places to see. gotta catch them all.
You were in Asakusa? Did you see the 3 coloured bridges?

Oh yeah, that place is a middle-aged hangout spot. And there is a liquor store somewhere in the street corner which is near a hostel, down the lane to the Sky Tower. Not much to hangout though......down the alley from the Yamanote line, there is an awesome cheap izakaya.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2014-08-21, 16:35   Link #1324
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

I'm thinking of holidaying in Asia in the near future (maybe in a month or two), visiting China and Japan.

I'd be interested in any advice you guys might have. I'm mainly looking for: Great and interesting food, historical sites, Otaku Culture, Communist stuff, anything unusual. Not interested in night life/clubbing/shopping.

I'm thinking of Hong Kong, Shanghai, Suzhou, Kyoto and Tokyo, but I'm not too sure. I want to take a month or two but also not cram too much in at once. I prefer to do one place in depth rather then spread myself too thin, so I might just visit one part of Japan and one/two parts of China.

I have a few questions:

1. What's the right time of year to do this weather wise? I'm thinking of Late September/October/early November, this good? Any festivals/seasonal events I could see this time of year?

2. I'd like to eat good and interesting food in these places (it's half the reason I want to visit China), are there any good lists of popular regional dishes online EG Ma Po Dofu in Sichuan, Peking duck in Beijing etc. In general, what's the advice for ordering food in China/Japan when you don't know/can't read the native language? Any good guides online? Eating excellent food is an important element for me, but I feel a bit intimidated thinking about it.

3. In general, is there any advice out there for overcoming the language barrier, or is it fairly easy as an English speaker? I'm a fairly seasoned traveller in Europe, but I was always able to read and puzzle out European languages.

4. What's the best way to find items of "Otaku" interest in Japan?

5. As an Engineer, I'd love to be able to see some of Japan's high tech manufacturing. Is there any way to do this?

I'd say this will not be the last time I visit either of these countries, so I feel no need to have to see "everything", still all help would be appreciated.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-22, 02:59   Link #1325
AmeNoJaku
Franco's Phalanx is next!

I can speak only about Japan, having never lived or travelled to China yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
1. What's the right time of year to do this weather wise? I'm thinking of Late September/October/early November, this good? Any festivals/seasonal events I could see this time of year?
Spring and late autumn are the best. The summer is too warm and humid (escept north Tohoku and Hokkaido) with almost endless rain. Winter is mild by northern European standards, but lacks the natural beauty experienced during the other two seasons.

More specifically for spring, the last week of March (for Kyushu and Chugoku) and the first half of April (for the rest of Honshu and Shikoku) you can see the full blooms in castles, gardens and parks. Be aware though that these places will be packed with domestic tourists.

For Autumn, starting from November in Hokkaido and the mainland's mountainous regions and up until late December south to Kyushu are the best times. I recomend this period if you plan to visit the grand shrines in Ise, Kyoto, Izumo, etc.

For more details check here and here.

Quote:
2. I'd like to eat good and interesting food in these places (it's half the reason I want to visit China), are there any good lists of popular regional dishes online EG Ma Po Dofu in Sichuan, Peking duck in Beijing etc. In general, what's the advice for ordering food in China/Japan when you don't know/can't read the native language? Any good guides online? Eating excellent food is an important element for me, but I feel a bit intimidated thinking about it.

3. In general, is there any advice out there for overcoming the language barrier, or is it fairly easy as an English speaker? I'm a fairly seasoned traveller in Europe, but I was always able to read and puzzle out European languages.
In Tokyo, Kyoto/Osaka, Nagoya and Hakata a lot of people can use english. Most chain stores have menus with latin characters. In transportation announcements are usually repeated in english. Since you will be staying for an extended period of time, use meetup and couchsurfing to get in touch with expats as well as japanese who want to improve their english.

Now when outside the big cities, it can get a little tricky. I suggest to have a translator app handy to be able to decipher important signs, as well as show to what you want to order, where you want to go, etc.

Quote:
4. What's the best way to find items of "Otaku" interest in Japan?
In Akihabara and Nakano the areas shaded blue have the greatest concentration of otaku related merchandise. Otome road in Ikebukuro is targeted specifically to girls. There are also great "markets" in Chiba and Osaka, but haven't been there more than ones myself.

The best way though is to visit comiket (annually, mid-August and last 3 days of December). First day is for SF-japanese-W art, second for yaoi and touhou, third for all the hentai that are popular overseas.

Comitia and Sunshine Creation are smaller (and thankfully less crowded) expos for independent artists, the first focusing on original art, while the second on doujinshi. they take place every 2-3 months each in Tokyo.
Old 2014-09-09, 07:58   Link #1326
Fellen
*Insert user title here*

So i'm going to go to Japan for the first time in slightly over a week and i would like to ask some good places to go to. I will be in Tokyo with only a few days of free time so i would be interested if some of you could enlighten me on interesting places around the Tokyo area. I have Japanese friend there who can translate for me so language won't mostly be a problem.

I was thinking of going to Akihabara, so enlighten me on some good things to do there (and should i go) and also tell about some other good places. My friend can show me around but i would be interested in what fellow members of AS think.
Old 2014-09-09, 08:22   Link #1327
Heibi
Ancient Fansubber
*Fansubber

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fellen View Post
So i'm going to go to Japan for the first time in slightly over a week and i would like to ask some good places to go to. I will be in Tokyo with only a few days of free time so i would be interested if some of you could enlighten me on interesting places around the Tokyo area. I have Japanese friend there who can translate for me so language won't mostly be a problem.

I was thinking of going to Akihabara, so enlighten me on some good things to do there (and should i go) and also tell about some other good places. My friend can show me around but i would be interested in what fellow members of AS think.
Sky Tree, Akihabara(of course), Imperial Palace. Akihabara could occupy an entire day of browsing and shopping. The Japanese Sword Museum if your friend can find it. You can actually google maps it.

I've been to Tokyo many times. Wish I could be there to give you an Otaku tour.
Old 2014-09-09, 08:41   Link #1328
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Depends of what you want to see/buy.
Some people like me can't stand Shinjuku and Harajuku, while others wouldn't set a foot in Akiba.

Generally speaking, there are a lot of nice places and it generally depends of your tastes.
Old 2014-09-09, 09:31   Link #1329
Fellen
*Insert user title here*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
Depends of what you want to see/buy.
Some people like me can't stand Shinjuku and Harajuku, while others wouldn't set a foot in Akiba.

Generally speaking, there are a lot of nice places and it generally depends of your tastes.
I don't have too specific tastes, so i would like to be told a multitude of places (more than i'll be able to visit) out of which i'll choose with my friend which ones to go to. Akihabara will probably take me a day (i have a feeling i'll like it from what i heard), so i only have a few more entire days of free time. Some minor places which i can quickly visit in a hour or two would also be appreciated.
Old 2014-09-09, 12:31   Link #1330
Zakoo

If you want to have a good vision of the city, I advise you the tokyo metropolitan gouvernement building. You can go up to the 48th floors for free and have a 360° vision of Tokyo. Sky tree and tokyo tower aren't bad but not only they cost and you have a nice queue depending of the hour.

For the night, Shibuya and Roppongi are nice for night events, if you simply want some calm and be at ease, Asakusa is better, there's the tokyo view hostel near the station of the tsukuba express, it's not very expensive and you have -again- a beautiful view on tokyo at night ( straight on the sky tree ).

The most enjoyable thing I did in Tokyo was the oedo onsen monogatari, it's a must do for me. You can't go to tokyo and not go there. ( you can sleep inside for 2000 yens but must leave before 9 am). It's in odaiba ( there's the giant gundam here and the beautiful rainbow bridge)

Akiba can literally take you an afternoon yeah. I mean there's those little hidden shop ( I found the last day a tales of shop and bought so muuuuuuuuuuch hahahaha) that makes the whole district enjoyable.

What else ? If you want to take a stroll and enjoy ancient building simply go to the imperial palace, it's free and beautiful. Or go to ueno and do the parc + todai university.

Well I guess that sums up.
Zakoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-09, 18:45   Link #1331
AmeNoJaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fellen View Post

In and around Tokyo...

Cultural: Museums at Ueno, Meiji Shrine, the Imperial Palace, daytrips to Kamakura and Nikko
Otaku: In Akihabara ToraNoAna, in Nakano Mandarake, in Ikebukuro Animate
Nightlife: Robot Restaurant for a unique cabaret experience in Shinjuku, Shibuya for trendy clubs, Ueno and Roppongi for degenerate entertainment
Cosplay: check this
Nature: you have to go to Hokkaido at this time of year, unfortunately Fuji is really hard now, maybe Takao
Castles: Matsumoto is the closest original, otherwise Odawara should give you a good idea
Gardens: Hamarikyu, Kiyosumi
Parks: Yoyogi, Ueno
Religious: Asakusa, Zojo-ji
70's futuristic architecture: Odaiba, Tokyo Tower, Sky Tree
Crowds: starbucks overlooking Shibuya crossing Fraday night
Electronics: Yodobashi at Akihabara
2nd hand electronics: every alley in Akihabara
Arcades: Sega at Akihabara
Onsen: Hakone, or Onsen Edo Monogatari in Odaiba if you are too lazy
Meatmarkets: Gaspanic and Womb in Shibuya and Ageha in Kiba (there is a shuttle bus from Shibuya)
Views: Tokyo Metropolipatan Goverment Building, Tokyo Tower, Sky Tree, Mt. Takao
Old 2014-09-18, 06:28   Link #1332
Fellen
*Insert user title here*

Hello again.
I'm going tomorrow so i would like to thank everyone who bothered responding to my posts. So thank you for helping me.
Old 2014-09-21, 04:52   Link #1333
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Initially I was thinking of holidaying to China, but after going over all the various complications involving visas and, health stuff (I don't want to have to deal with language barriers AND Montezuma's revenge while I'm half way around the world on my own), so instead I'm going to put that off to next year or so, when I can plan things a bit better. Instead I'm going to Japan for 2 weeks, around the end of October.

I'm thinking of 1 week in Tokyo and 1 week in Kyoto/Osaka region, with day trips from both out sightseeing. This seem like a good idea to y'all?

Right now, I'm booking flights. I've managed to get quotes of ~750E from my local travel agents, and a little more from websites online. Anyone have tips on who are the best airlines to fly Europe to Japan with? I'm a bit overwhelmed by all the options at the moment, and having trouble parsing them all.

After that, should I book all my accommodation in advance, or is it okay to just book 2 or 3 days ahead?

EDIT: Also, should I get a Japan Rail Pass?

Last edited by DonQuigleone; 2014-09-21 at 05:07.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-21, 10:59   Link #1334
AmeNoJaku

Quote:
Initially I was thinking of holidaying to China, but after going over all the various complications involving visas and, health stuff (I don't want to have to deal with language barriers AND Montezuma's revenge while I'm half way around the world on my own), so instead I'm going to put that off to next year or so, when I can plan things a bit better. Instead I'm going to Japan for 2 weeks, around the end of October.

I'm thinking of 1 week in Tokyo and 1 week in Kyoto/Osaka region, with day trips from both out sightseeing. This seem like a good idea to y'all?

Right now, I'm booking flights. I've managed to get quotes of ~750E from my local travel agents, and a little more from websites online. Anyone have tips on who are the best airlines to fly Europe to Japan with? I'm a bit overwhelmed by all the options at the moment, and having trouble parsing them all.

After that, should I book all my accommodation in advance, or is it okay to just book 2 or 3 days ahead?
SAS has very well trained crews and good maintenance, reflected on the low number of incidents.

Quote:
EDIT: Also, should I get a Japan Rail Pass?
It depends on how much and how far you will be traveling on shinkansen. For example:
  • You have three daytrips in Kanto to Nikko (¥5060x2), Yokohama (¥470x2) and Kamakura/Enoshima (¥920x2)
  • Take the shinkansen across Chubu to Kansai (¥13620)
  • There travel in sequence from Kyoto to Nara (¥710), to Osaka (¥750) to Himeji (¥3220), finally leaving from Kansai International Airport (¥1200)
Which leaves the following options:
  1. Without any pass this will cost ¥32400
  2. With the 3-day Kanto pass (¥8300), shinkansen across Chubu (¥13620) and 4-day Kansai pass (¥6170) for a total cost ¥28090
  3. The 2-week nationwide pass costs ¥46390
Another example, is that you have to arrive and leave from the same airport (so you will take the shinkansen across Chubu twice), but can squeeze either Kanto or Kansai trips into 4 or 5 days, then:
  1. Without any pass this will cost ¥46020
  2. With the 3-day Kanto pass (¥8300), shinkansen across Chubu (¥13620x2) and 4-day Kansai pass (¥6170) for a total cost ¥41710
  3. The 1-week nationwide pass costs ¥29110
There are more configuration of course (change for example Nikko with Hachioji or Chiba, and individual tickets become the cheapest option). Check hyperdia for prices and schedules, and japan-guide links for the passes. Remember that all the prices are without reserving seats, and pay extra attention which trains and companies the passes cover.
Another benefit of passes is that they save you the hassle of getting tickets everyday, but expect 30-60 minute lines when you exchange the pass order, particularly in airports and harbors with many tourists.

EDIT: I would also recommend to push the trip into mid-late November for the autumn colors and better weather.

Last edited by AmeNoJaku; 2014-09-21 at 11:37.
AmeNoJaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-21, 19:09   Link #1335
Unonithy
An Internet Aristocrat

I don't know what number of you are still high school students but I'm applying to this prep/boarding school for grades 11 and 12 called United World College and they have all these different locations around the world but their newest one is in Japan. Its like in the middle of a forest but its apparently by some subway that takes an hour to Tokyo. I've heard you don't have to speak any Japanese at all, but you have to take courses to learn it when you're there.
Idk it seems pretty cool, but yeh if you're still in high school its worth a check out for sure (but note that it's like next to impossible to get in lul).

Last edited by Unonithy; 2014-09-22 at 00:54.
Unonithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-22, 17:42   Link #1336
DOmus
天国無事故
*Artist

Well maybe this will go kinda off the thread, but to anyone that has been there, are there any famous non japanese mangakas over there??? Im kinda preparing myself to try my luck over there doing mangas in the future, but i'm afraid that even if i have some good materials, the fact im not from there will close all the doors.

Kinda in the thread, What would u recommend to a teenager that wants to go there for vacation but who have never went out of his country do??, i have been reading this thread for quite the time, but almost everything is for living there, or by college/schools connections, im kinda lost in what i can do over there, can someone plz give me some tips that are not so hard to understand(mostly where to visit, by preference, places with a lot of anture or with historical meanings)???

Last edited by DOmus; 2014-09-22 at 17:53.
DOmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-23, 01:06   Link #1337
dropkix
宇宙ブドカンデビュー7日7月

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOmus View Post
are there any famous non japanese mangakas over there???
Definitely. It's easier to meetup with people just getting into manga drawing and I would advise to start off by meeting up with some doujinshi enthusiasts, probably students at a local college or university. Every university has one, they might not all be able to speak Engrish though. Or want to be friends with foreigners. Turns out some Japanese otakus aren't interested in us.

That's why I would suggest finding a club or circle at a 外大 (Gaidai or foreign studies college) as those universities cater to students who are interested in meeting and getting to know foreigners. Those students are generally pretty awesome and happy just to chill with a foreigner who likes Japan.

I realise you'll be there on vacation and your time may be limited. If you can get in touch with any of these people by email either by googling around for their club web pages or emailing contact people at colleges in cities you'll be visiting, they will know what events are going on, if there are any book signings or conventions coming up, and how you can meet people in that scene. You could try meetup, facebook or couchsurfing. CS and facebook have become active over the years in Japan and people use those channels to chat and organize meetups.

Quote:
What would u recommend to a teenager that wants to go there for vacation but who have never went out of his country do?? ... where to visit, by preference, places with a lot of anture or with historical meanings
A vacation, you say?

Hmm. In that case check out the castles and temples man, they are mostly in beautiful locations on a mountain overlooking the city or the ocean or in a garden of some kind. I recommend these:

Kyoto:
Kiyomizudera
Kinkakuji
Fushimi Inari Taisha
Nijo-jo

Osaka:
Osakajo

Kobe:
The Water Temple at Awajishima
There's an epic bathhouse where you can chill in a hot tub on the roof overlooking the harbour, Awajishima and the bridge. I think its called 太平の湯 (The waters of tranquility) It's awesome and if you don't want to trek out to the middle of nowhere to visit a hot spring (time may be a factor) the bathhouse is a mainstay of Japanese culture and an absolute must.

Nara:
Todaiji

Tokyo:
I didn't really visit historic sites in Tokyo as it's modernity is pretty interesting on its own, particularly:
Shibuya
Harajuku
Akihabara
Odaiba (mainly for Rainbow bridge and Sega Joypolis)

PM me if you want specifics. I could go on for hours lol
dropkix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-29, 01:08   Link #1338
Samari
World's Greatest

I'm looking for a nice play to stay for two people in Kyoto for four days. From the 18th to the 22nd. Trying to find something around $100 with at least a bed. I was looking on Airbnb, but not many suitors. Any other places I can check?

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
永遠不要失去信心,你的命運。
Samari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-29, 04:17   Link #1339
JokerD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samari View Post
I'm looking for a nice play to stay for two people in Kyoto for four days. From the 18th to the 22nd. Trying to find something around $100 with at least a bed. I was looking on Airbnb, but not many suitors. Any other places I can check?
Try hostels, most of them can be pretty cheap if you are only looking for a bed to sleep in:
http://www.hostelworld.com/hostels/Kyoto/Japan

Just don't expect large rooms.

The place I stayed at during my trip was this:
Jiyujin

Pretty nice place and they spoke quite good english. Around 15 mins walk north of the Kyoto JR station. It's a family run place with pretty cute counter staff
JokerD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-29, 06:16   Link #1340
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by JokerD View Post
The place I stayed at during my trip was this:
Jiyujin

Pretty nice place and they spoke quite good english. Around 15 mins walk north of the Kyoto JR station. It's a family run place with pretty cute counter staff
The daughter of the inn is really cute. She spelt my name wrong with her goodbye note.

Tags
japan, travel