Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Code Geass

Notices

Old 2008-10-24, 11:36   Link #2341
Pink-chan
世界の明日のために

Quote:
Originally Posted by blottyparchment View Post
Yeah, I understand...That manifesto is not meant to be a declaration of war but others will take it as such.

But one must wonder if the ruruCC fans did the same?

Oh, I just checked the official website. The picture dramas are supervised by Okouchi and Taniguchi. The script for the R2 sound dramas, on the other hand, were written by other people (I don't recognize their names...). So, does that help better?
Don't start a 'war'!!! Everyone just get along. Stick to your preference and respect one another. Yeah, I get what you mean. It's perception in different people. You don't start a war, but non Rurukare shipper especially RuruCC shipper will take it as so. I wouldn't be surprised since the debate previously had already gone too far even to the extent of people ignoring the writers' intent.

Thanks! I always thought that the picture drama is canon. Wasn't sure about drama cd. If R2 drama CD are not canon, is S1 canon?

Avatar by Sonae. Signature by Airi. Thank you.
Pink-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-24, 11:39   Link #2342
darthfury78

Quote:
Yeah, I understand...That manifesto is not meant to be a declaration of war but others will take it as such.

But one must wonder if the ruruCC fans did the same?

Oh, I just checked the official website. The picture dramas are supervised by Okouchi and Taniguchi. The script for the R2 sound dramas, on the other hand, were written by other people (I don't recognize their names...). So, does that help better?
I now believe that Okouchi and Taniguchi should work on a Code Geass Manga/Novel. There is so such that they could write about than they could in the anime. For instance, they could retell R2 in greater depth that would make the lesser known chracters shine by revealing a background story on them, like Kallen's father, the the reason why she had renounced her Britannian heritage.
darthfury78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-24, 11:43   Link #2343
darthfury78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink-chan View Post
Don't start a 'war'!!! Everyone just get along. Stick to your preference and respect one another. Yeah, I get what you mean. It's perception in different people. You don't start a war, but non Rurukare shipper especially RuruCC shipper will take it as so. I wouldn't be surprised since the debate previously had already gone too far even to the extent of people ignoring the writers' intent.

Thanks! I always thought that the picture drama is canon. Wasn't sure about drama cd. If R2 drama CD are not canon, is S1 canon?
I do believe that the Drama CD for S1 are canon because most of them has actually provided some additional information on the characters, such as Milly Ashford's first encounter with Lelouch at Ashford Academy. So I do consider the Drama CDs as canon.
darthfury78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-24, 12:00   Link #2344
blottyparchment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink-chan View Post
Yes, yes. We're not trying to start a war. There are already the little rows that erupted recently in the generic thread and Kallen thread. Well, now that CG fandom is coming to a quiet (or not...), there should be less fighting and more appreciating CG as a whole. That includes learning to embrace all the characters, understanding their motives, understanding the staff's overall plans for CG, and respecting those. Then again, it's hard to learn to be tolerant of everything.

Quote:
If R2 drama CD are not canon, is S1 canon?
I believe that the S1 sound dramas were canon. It's only the S2's sound dramas that have changed.
blottyparchment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-24, 12:05   Link #2345
Lie

Quote:
I believe that the S1 sound dramas were canon. It's only the S2's sound dramas that have changed.
For S2, only the Character Songs are canon material. Everything else breaks the fourth wall and wouldn't be canon.
Lie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-24, 12:30   Link #2346
blottyparchment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lie View Post
For S2, only the Character Songs are canon material. Everything else breaks the fourth wall and wouldn't be canon.
Yes. But dear me, if the songs became crack-ish too, I don't think I'd enjoy much. (Remembers Setsuna from G00's character song entitled "Soup". >_>)
Old 2008-10-24, 12:33   Link #2347
Lie

Quote:
Yes. But dear me, if the songs became crack-ish too, I don't think I'd enjoy much. (Remembers Setsuna from G00's character song entitled "Soup". >_>)
I doubt they will, since they are designed, in this case, to be a showing of the character's inner thoughts about everything. Making them crack-ish would be rather odd unless the character singing is themselves flat (Tamaki/Rivalz/Gino/V.V.?). The more dynamic characters wouldn't really fit all that well with crack songs given what the other songs have been about.
Old 2008-10-24, 12:50   Link #2348
blottyparchment

Quote:
I doubt they will, since they are designed, in this case, to be a showing of the character's inner thoughts about everything. Making them crack-ish would be rather odd unless the character singing is themselves flat (Tamaki/Rivalz/Gino/V.V.?). The more dynamic characters wouldn't really fit all that well with crack songs given what the other songs have been about.
Now I think I know why I didn't much appreciate the character songs of other series sung by a quartet. But, wouldn't it be crazy if they made the last character song an "every character's song" that was sung by everyone and each person gets a line or two?

On the other hand, everyone's kind of expecting Sakurai to be singing as Suzaku next. Hope those rumors come true.
Old 2008-10-24, 13:04   Link #2349
Pink-chan
世界の明日のために

Quote:
Now I think I know why I didn't much appreciate the character songs of other series sung by a quartet. But, wouldn't it be crazy if they made the last character song an "every character's song" that was sung by everyone and each person gets a line or two?

On the other hand, everyone's kind of expecting Sakurai to be singing as Suzaku next. Hope those rumors come true.
I seconded it. We need a song coming from Suzaku. I hope Sakurai will do fans a favour

Avatar by Sonae. Signature by Airi. Thank you.
Pink-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-24, 14:25   Link #2350
youngde
Unashamed Kalulu fan

Quote:
Actually, I'm pretty sure 'Memories of a Beautiful Rebellion' is canon (if a bit silly at times). It doesn't have forth wall breaking moments and nothing occurs that couldn't happen within the context of the story line. The rest (for Season 2) are pretty much all non-canon, either breaking the forth wall, having characters interact that couldn't possibly happen or having situations that couldn't occur within the timeline established by the show.
Old 2008-10-24, 14:56   Link #2351
Narona
Emotionless White Face

Quote:
Since some people asked that kind of things, Blotty, do you know if Okouchi said that the character songs are canon for sure?
Narona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-24, 15:15   Link #2352
Lie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narona View Post
Since some people asked that kind of things, Blotty, do you know if Okouchi said that the character songs are canon for sure?
Its more appropriate to say that they have not been deemed non-canon, while other things have been deemed non-canon. But to the best of my knowledge, the character songs are accepted as canonical.
Old 2008-10-24, 15:19   Link #2353
Eliarine

Quote:
I think Character Songs might be somehow canon, meaning I see them as based on canon facts at least. But like in most animes they probably should be taken with a grain of salt, and not be analyzed too literally.
Eliarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-24, 15:23   Link #2354
Narona
Emotionless White Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliarine View Post
I think Character Songs might be somehow canon, meaning I see them as based on canon facts at least. But like in most animes they probably should be taken with a grain of salt, and not be analyzed too literally.
Well, the fact is that Blotty said that the picture drama are written by Okouchi (thing that I too didn't know). I don't even know who writes the lyrics of the characters songs or if Okouchi (if it's not him) acknowledged them as Canon materials. That's why I asked. And since some persons were talking about what is canon and what is not, I think that some other people like me are also interested.
Old 2008-10-24, 15:31   Link #2355
demon_god04
~Hi -mi- tsu des~

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngde View Post
Actually, I'm pretty sure 'Memories of a Beautiful Rebellion' is canon (if a bit silly at times). It doesn't have forth wall breaking moments and nothing occurs that couldn't happen within the context of the story line. The rest (for Season 2) are pretty much all non-canon, either breaking the forth wall, having characters interact that couldn't possibly happen or having situations that couldn't occur within the timeline established by the show.
Honestly I just do not know what to make of it, the silliness of it kind of makes me think that it is not really meant as a canonical story but rather a story that may be canon but is mainly for laughs.
demon_god04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-24, 15:47   Link #2356
Lie

Quote:
Well, the fact is that Blotty said that the picture drama are written by Okouchi (thing that I too didn't know). I don't even know who writes the lyrics of the characters songs or if Okouchi (if it's not him) acknowledged them as Canon materials. That's why I asked. And since some persons were talking about what is canon and what is not, I think that some other people like me are also interested.
Character songs were canon last season, SE were half canon, half non-canon. This season, character songs are done the same way, have not been declared non-canon, and would therefore still be canon. The SE on the other hand, are mostly (if not all) non-canon because they break the fourth wall or are scenarios which just wouldn't ever happen.
The character songs, iirc, are supervised by Okouchi and/or Taniguchi as they are meant to reflect the feelings of the characters. There has never been anything within them that is presented as non-canonical. No contradictions, just additions. Unlike the novels, as an example, since they have contradictions to the story and aren't supervised by any of the head staff.
Old 2008-10-24, 16:04   Link #2357
Eliarine

Quote:
Yeah, I'm curious about their real level of canon too, since songs like this are usually meant to reflect a character's personality and feelings but tend to exaggerate some aspects or facts to do so in a lovely way. They're probably "canon" in a way, but I don't think they should be taken word for word.
Eliarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-24, 16:08   Link #2358
Narona
Emotionless White Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliarine View Post
Yeah, I'm curious about their real level of canon too, since songs like this are usually meant to reflect a character's personality and feelings but tend to exaggerate some aspects or facts to do so in a lovely way. They're probably "canon" in a way, but I don't think they should be taken word for word.
Me personally, if the lyrics are not written by the code geass staff, I will take them with a grain of salt. And if we don't have any official infos about it, I guess it's up to the people to consider them canon or not. It's just my personal opinion

I will wait Blotty's reply XD Maybe she knows something that the code geass staff could have said about it since she can read japanese.

If not, I will ask it to Koshimizu once she has returned. If she knows something or gives me her opinion, I will let you know if you want
Old 2008-10-24, 16:15   Link #2359
demon_god04
~Hi -mi- tsu des~

Perhaps I am not exactly the right person to point out what may be an unintentional rudeness but Lie has already answered your question.

Quote:
Character songs were canon last season, SE were half canon, half non-canon. This season, character songs are done the same way, have not been declared non-canon, and would therefore still be canon. The SE on the other hand, are mostly (if not all) non-canon because they break the fourth wall or are scenarios which just wouldn't ever happen.
The character songs, iirc, are supervised by Okouchi and/or Taniguchi as they are meant to reflect the feelings of the characters. There has never been anything within them that is presented as non-canonical. No contradictions, just additions. Unlike the novels, as an example, since they have contradictions to the story and aren't supervised by any of the head staff.
demon_god04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-24, 16:19   Link #2360
Narona
Emotionless White Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by demon_god04 View Post
Perhaps I am not exactly the right person to point out what may be an unintentional rudeness but Lie has already answered your question.
He is on my ignore list so I can't read him.

The first part didn't give me any answer, and the last has a "IIRC", which means I will wait for someone who can give me a proof. Likely Miss Blotty or Koshimizu if a material about it exists.