AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Music

Notices

Old 2011-12-01, 19:53   Link #161
Haladflire65
*Artist

Thanks for the suggestions, ZGoten and Seishin!

I've been liking heavier rock for a while but it was mostly J-rock (abingdon boys school, Nightmare, GazettE, those types) until recently, when I first started listening to Maiden and Kamelot (so sad about Roy Khan's departure D: ). But yeah, as you guys already know I really love the epic and moving qualities of symphonic/power melodies! I did try a bit of Nightwish already but they didn't appeal to me as much as Epica did, however I will definitely go back to them since that's how I first felt about Kamelot too (NO idea why). I'll also check out those others, Seishin!

As for black/death metal, I can't say that I'll be getting into it anytime soon. But I'm still open to the genres, since I found myself liking Nevermore's Born a lot, even if it has quite a lot of growling, as well as the Dark Empire stuff ZGotez posted! I might be able to ease myself into heavier things as time passes... would you say black and death metal are acquired tastes? Cause I feel like the more I listen, the more I get used to it and the more I keep coming back to it.

I think another thing I like in metal is relatively clear and soaring vocals, like Maiden, Kamelot or Stratovarious. Which is probably why black/death metal was initially just like WHOA for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGoten View Post
IHowever, It may yet be too early for him to approach that kind of genre if he only know found out what he really likes in metal.
BTW, I'm a teenaged girl Which is why people look at me weirdly when I claim to love metal (and stuff like Iron Maiden at that)!
Old 2011-12-01, 20:43   Link #162
ZGoten
Custom User Title

Send a message via ICQ to ZGoten
Oh, I apologize then, but thanks for representing metal on the female front as well.

Well, black metal especially was hard for me to get into, and I am still staying away from the most aggressive stuff. For me, music has to be either melodic, atmospheric or technical. Many black metal bands are neither of those, which is why I've probably come to the end of my journey through more and more extreme stuff. There are definately people who start with fairly accessible genres such as power metal and can slowly ease into the darkest depths of black metal, however, I wouldn't call the genre 'acquired taste', just because it sounds so polite. Lyricswise, there is a lot of crap in black metal and still bands with extreme views or ideologies that are probably not even allowed to be discussed on this forum. In death metal, you don't encounter as many political extreme bands, but just like in black metal, there is quite som trash, that some people think is good, just because it's death metal, but it's not. There are many gems in black/death metal, but to find them, you have to work through a lot of crap. That's at least how I see it. Or you are lucky enough to know sites such as MetalStorm.net that are great places to inform yourself about all kinds of metal. However, there are certainly other people here on Animesuki with more insight on the subject matter, since I, like I implied earlier, am not that deep into death and black metal.

You have to be careful, though. Try to get into it, if you want, but don't force yourself. Some people can appreciate the style more as time passes, and some don't. If you are one of the latter persons, don't try to convince yourself that you like it. There are a lot of elitists stating that death/black metal are the only 'true' metal genres, which is why some people can fall into that trap, that they think they have to listen to that kind of music. I think that's stupid, though. I love some bands of the genres, but I love other bands just as much, and they are just as much 'metal'.
Old 2011-12-03, 16:26   Link #163
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

Hm, did I never specify which bands I like? Must correct that then.

A (relatively) small selection:

Big Three of Teutonic Thrash Metal

Sodom
Agent Orange
In War And Pieces

Destruction
Final Curtain
Hate Is My Fuel

Kreator
Enemy of God
Impossible Brutality

Other

Stratovarius (Finland, power metal)
Black Diamond
Under Flaming Skies

Rhapsody of Fire (Italy, symphonic power metal)
Emerald Sword
From Chaos to Eternity

Luca Turilli (Italy, symphonic power metal)
The Ancient Forest Of Elves
Mother Nature

Note: Solo project of Rhapsody of Fire's (former) lead guitarist

Sabaton (Sweden, power metal)
40:1
Screaming Eagles

Alestorm (UK, folk metal/"True Scottish Pirate Metal")
Keelhauled
You Are A Pirate

Evile (UK, thrash metal)
Thrasher
Eternal Empire

Iced Earth (USA, power metal)
Melancholy
Dystopia

Sons of Liberty (USA, power metal)
Jeckyll Island
Indentured Servitude

Note: Side-project from Iced Earth's rhythm guitarist Jon Schaffer. VERY politically charged!

Helloween (Germany, speed/power metal)
I Want Out
Paint A New World

Trans-Siberian Orchestra (USA, progressive metal)
Christmas Canon Rock
Mozart And Memories

Note: Anyone who's seen Christmas lights displays probably heard at least one of their songs

Razor (Canada, thrash metal)
Evil Invaders
Decibels

Aneurysm (Italy, post-thrash/"cyber metal")
The Clear Obscure

Methedras (Italy, thrash metal)
L.R.S.
Under

Symphony X (USA, progressive metal)
The Odyssey
Old 2012-03-01, 16:02   Link #164
ZGoten
Custom User Title

Guys, if there are any fans of Nightwish here, of the old Nightwish with Tarja, you just have to listen to Xandria's new record, 'Neverworld's End'. On that album, they sound very much like Nightwish and extremely good. I haven't listened to any other release of this band, yet, in fact I just found out about them very recently. However, from what reviews and votings say, it seems like this is their best album by far, yet. And I can see that totally being true. I was expecting something 'meh' going into it, but the record just blew me away. Their new vocalist especially is really amazing. If you're not entirely convinced yet, check out this song:

Last edited by ZGoten; 2012-03-01 at 16:26.
ZGoten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-01, 16:47   Link #165
_Adrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman#1 View Post
If your a Metal head respond to this thread. Do Metal is probably on of the best types of music out there right now man. Li ke Iron Maiden, Children Of Bodom, Lamb of God, In Flames, Trivium, Slip knot, or any type of metal My favorites are Children of Bodom, and Iron Maiden. You tell Me Peoplecool:
I like Iron Maiden, Slip Knot, Metallica, Slayer, and Korn!
How did you not mention Metallica? :P
Old 2012-03-03, 11:02   Link #166
Haladflire65
*Artist

Revisiting this thread cause I haven't for a while I can safely say my tastes still haven't changed much... I still like Symphonic the most and haven't found much else to listen to for a while... I've went through most of Rhapsody of Fire's songs and am just replaying Gargoyles, Angels of Darkness over and over again, same thing with Blind Guardian It's annoying cause I can only really find a couple songs per band that I like unless it's Kamelot or Maiden. And I desperately wish for a new Dark Empire release.

ZGoten, what is it with you and posting awesome music? Xandria is awesome! I think I even like Blood on My Hands better than some of the stuff in Nightwish's Oceanborn album! This is like, the fifth time I've felt like going scrambling for the mp3's of whatever you shared here

Edit: Kay, after listening to more of Xandria's Neverworld's End, I can safely say that I'm loving it! Beautiful stuff. So thanks again ZGoten.

Last edited by Haladflire65; 2012-03-03 at 13:09.
Haladflire65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-03, 19:16   Link #167
ZGoten
Custom User Title

No problem, oh and btw. Dark Empire are releasing a new album this month, called 'From Refuge To Ruin'. ^^
You can probably find a track or two on Youtube, but they have changed their sound quite a bit. Not sure if you'll like it that much anymore.
Old 2012-03-04, 21:00   Link #168
Imako
Known Cyberbully
*Fansubber

Have some delicious old school nu metal.

Imako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-04, 21:25   Link #169
Haladflire65
*Artist

@ZGoten: Sadly, you were right (as usual ) and a new track from Dark Empire didn't really appeal to me But I'm enjoying some Xandria now, heh heh.

But on the topic of symphonic metal, are there any bands (or specific songs) that sound like Kamelot's Forever, Karma or any of their stuff from Black Halo (my favourites from there were Memento Mori, The Haunting, When the Lights Are Down and March of Mephisto)? I'm dying for more music like that right now but so far have been unable to find much.

I'm also going to go back in this thread and visit Metalstorm and check out some other sub-genres, I've been too stuck in symphonic and power for a while ^_^"

edit: just listened to the Fleshgod Apocalypse song you posted earlier on the previous page and I actually kind of liked it, especially towards the end. I definitely like the instrumentals but I guess it's still the growling vocals that's putting me off a little.

Last edited by Haladflire65; 2012-03-04 at 21:43.
Old 2012-03-06, 17:59   Link #170
word sux

I have been listening to allot of galneryus recently. The new album is decent, I think that bashout is the best song of of it.

When sho tries to sing the old songs his english is terribad, kinda painful to listen to if I am honest.

I miss yama b
word sux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-08, 12:56   Link #171
ZGoten
Custom User Title

@Haladflire65:

Sorry, but I don't know a single band that sounds even closely like Kamelot. The are my favorite band for a reason.^^
I'm glad there's someone who likes the new Xandria record as well, though.
Old 2012-03-08, 15:33   Link #172
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

I don't like much for metal. But I could try out more metal bands. Some of it is pretty good stuff, but some of it is more morbid than I care for.

I like Type O Negative. They are metal and goth. I like some Metallica every now and then. I have their second, third, fourth, and fifth albums. I'd like to get into some Megadeth and Slayer. I have Paranoid by Black Sabbath, which is a cool album. I have some Ozzy songs.

Other than that, I don't think I have any more metal. So I'm a small time metal fan compared to everybody else in this thread. As you can tell, I don't know much about metal beyond some of the fundamental metal bands (all the ones I mentioned except Type O Negative).
Old 2012-03-10, 13:39   Link #173
DuoRanger
Banned

here's 1 of the most badass musics made by sepultura back in the days when max and andreas were friends

Last edited by DuoRanger; 2012-03-10 at 18:03.
DuoRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-10, 21:10   Link #174
Syantax

Huge fan of progressive metal, probably my favorite genre of music. Couple bands I've been into lately:

Animals as Leaders (previously mentioned):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmfzWpp0hMc

Between the Buried and Me (this band is beyond incredible. I bought their album Colors, listened to it a couple times, and shelved it because I was young. Came back to it about 6 months ago, and I haven't been able to stop listening to them since then. EVERYTHING the write is pure gold.)
Beautiful: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAs1aTFLl2M

Heavy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNdRh...eature=related

Opeth - of course
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mu7UvZTPT4M

Chimp Spanner - instrumental, extremely high production quality, just great music.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBQuhCzgle8
Syantax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-11, 21:45   Link #175
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
So I've poked around this thread a few times, figured I might as well actually say high. I can't call myself a true metalhead, since I'm more of a hard rock/borderline metal guy... but there are quite a few bands that technically classify as metal that I love, with Metallica being at the top of the list. In fact, I'm a huge fan of the old 80's metal, also loving Pantera, and I heard a piece from what I think is a relatively obscure band called Meliah Rage. As for more current stuff... well, the list is huge, and I'm not sure just how much is really more hard rock than metal, but to give a small idea:

Five Finger Death Punch, Avenged Sevenfold, All That Remains, Mudvayne, Trivium, Devil Wears Prada, Nightwish (okay, so I'm really liking their latest album, which i understand that "true fans" despise due to it being a new singer), and the somewhat unknown band Taking Dawn. And I'm also starting to get hooked on Xandria.

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-16, 04:17   Link #176
ZGoten
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magin View Post
And I'm also starting to get hooked on Xandria.
Nice, very nice. ^^
Old 2012-04-05, 22:46   Link #177
Haladflire65
*Artist

I think I'm starting to kind of like Septic Flesh! I'm listening to the album Communion right now and I'm finding it surprisingly ok I'm enjoying The Great Mass, too! I think I find it a bit catchier than the former, actually. I tried branching out a bit more recently but it wasn't hugely successful... I think the furthest I got from my usual symphonic/power metal fixes is Candlemass, I quite liked Epicus Doomicus Metallicus (particularly A Sorcerer's Pledge).

And ZGoten, I can't say I wasn't a bit startled when I found guest reviews by you while browsing through Metalstorm, although I really should've been expecting it, considering your expertise XD It's a pity there're no other bands that sound like Kamelot, I did look at a lot of other symphonic/power bands and it was so true Ah well, time to go listen to The Black Halo again, then...

Last edited by Haladflire65; 2012-04-06 at 01:02.
Old 2012-04-15, 18:45   Link #178
Kizoku Keenan
ばか =)

My cat is called Tera, which is short for Pantera if that doesn't show that I love metal I don't know what will.
Old 2012-04-25, 17:34   Link #179
Newtman
Asexual Assassin Badger

Cool

I listen to Pantera, Mötorhead, Korn, Disturbed, Suicidal Tendencies, Megadeath, Metallica, and Black Sabbath.
Any pile of stunted growth unaware that these things are here just for our entertainment and nothing more deserves to doom themselves to some dank cell elsewhere for having been so stupid! TV, books, movies, music, they're here just for that, not guidebooks for damning yourselves!
Nny, Johnny The Homicidal Maniac
Newtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-27, 20:31   Link #180
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
This metal thread is remarkably lacking of actual metal. Take your nu-metal crap and begone.

Tags
metal