AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Toradora!

Notices

View Poll Results: Toradora! - Total Series Rating
Perfect 10 154 42.78%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 113 31.39%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 53 14.72%
7 out of 10 : Good 23 6.39%
6 out of 10 : Average 7 1.94%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.28%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.28%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.28%
1 out of 10 : Painful 7 1.94%
Voters: 360. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-09-01, 14:26   Link #161
JeromeREC

Animation Quality: 9
Voice Actors: 9
Script: 10
Soundtrack: 9
Editing: 9
Enjoyment: 10
Emotional Involvement: 10

Average = 9.5/10
Old 2009-09-02, 03:15   Link #162
mammothb

Animation Quality: 7
The animation was alright, and the characters look normal unlike some other animes where the characters look out of proportion or disfigured as some parts so I'm giving it an above average.

Voice Actors: 8
I really loved how they made Minori and Yasuko sound, they are better than how I had imagined them to be while reading the novel.

Script: 8
Points taken off cuz they have allowed more characterization for Ryuuji and Taiga. I mean it's just way too fast for them to realize their love for each other and immediately deciding to marry in just one episode.

Soundtrack: 10
LOVE THEM! Especially the Chirstmas song. Was it ever recorded in one of the OST albums?

Editing: 7
They left some parts out but then again, they are rushing to finish it on the same time as the novel so I guess it's good enough the way it is.

Definitely 10, one of my favourite series.

Emotional Involvement: 7
The first few were more of a drag but it gets better towards the end

Overall: 8
It's a really great series, but I have to admit that I'm a bit disappointed that it was given an open ending. So I'm really looking forward to an OVA that may possibly show them several years later married to each other. (The Ryuuji x Taiga and Kitamura x Sumire) Just want to see everyone end paired to someone.
Old 2009-09-02, 12:29   Link #163
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammothb View Post
Overall: 8
It's a really great series, but I have to admit that I'm a bit disappointed that it was given an open ending. So I'm really looking forward to an OVA that may possibly show them several years later married to each other. (The Ryuuji x Taiga and Kitamura x Sumire) Just want to see everyone end paired to someone.
So few anime romances even approach this level of closure, I'd have to call it a closed ending. Ryuji and Taiga are a set couple. He has to find work/college and it looks like they'll wait til they are 20 to marry (legal adults in Japan).

Yeah, an epilog OVA could be very amusing though. Have RxT going to see Minorin play big-league softball and hijinks ensue...

I've seen some vague implication that Kitamura follows Sumire to America after he finishes college but I suspect that's mostly wishful thinking. Long distance relationships are tough.
Old 2009-09-02, 12:36   Link #164
typhonsentra

I remember the younger students mentioning he heard that Kitamura has plans to study abroad, so it's not just wishful thinking there.
Old 2009-09-03, 13:31   Link #165
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by typhonsentra View Post
I remember the younger students mentioning he heard that Kitamura has plans to study abroad, so it's not just wishful thinking there.
Ah thanks... I knew that wispy memory had a source, even better that it came from the story
Old 2009-09-04, 04:06   Link #166
mammothb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
they'll wait til they are 20 to marry (legal adults in Japan).
really? but in the anime ryuuji said something about running until he is 18 and then they will get married:/
Old 2009-09-05, 02:46   Link #167
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

yeah, I'm not sure how to resolve that one .... under the age of 20, the permission of parents is required if I understand Japanese rules on the matter. Ryuuji's mom would give permission but not Taiga's.
Old 2009-09-05, 07:24   Link #168
mammothb

but at the end after taiga left sch due to family issues she came back rit? so im guessing that she resolved the stuff at her family's side. uhm do you know if the light novel reaches a final conclusion? like them getting married and stuff? cuz it wasn't completely translated so i didnt want to start(hate the feeling of having to wait for something to come out)
Old 2009-09-07, 02:44   Link #169

Animation Quality: 10,
Even with a limited budget they have created wonferful animation, mostly I like the facial expressions of the characters.

Voice Actors: 9,

Script: 9,
Very good script, it was not a boring beginning, so I continued watching. Ending was also very strong, but I miss a piece where Midorin shows more of his true self. Why she is working so much, and why she avoid Yuuji?

Soundtrack: 8

Emotional Involvement: 8

Overall series rating: 9
The only one that I want to say now is: When will they produce a next season? I miss it, I really want to see what happen the next year.
Old 2009-09-07, 07:57   Link #170
Meatrose
Antihero

Quote:
Originally Posted by 777 View Post
The only one that I want to say now is: When will they produce a next season? I miss it, I really want to see what happen the next year.
The series has ended. Toradora! is a light novel adaptation and the tenth novel, which was released in Japan a couple of weeks before the final episode aired, was the last one. The last two episodes of the anime covered the final novel. In other words - this is the way Toradora! ends.
Old 2009-09-09, 12:21   Link #171
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammothb View Post
but at the end after taiga left sch due to family issues she came back rit? so im guessing that she resolved the stuff at her family's side. uhm do you know if the light novel reaches a final conclusion? like them getting married and stuff? cuz it wasn't completely translated so i didnt want to start(hate the feeling of having to wait for something to come out)
The novel is complete (as is the anime). We know where the characters are and what they plan to do. If you define a "final conclusion" as we see them getting married or we see them die as old people... then no.
By any literary definition though, we see a conclusion because the problems have been resolved, we know who is doing what and with whom. Taiga and Ryuji are an established couple. Kitamura is planning to "study abroad" (following Sumire). Minorin is pursuing her dream of professional sports. Some of the other side characters have "coupled up". Their time in high school is over.

The manga thread is a better place to discuss how the manga and the anime coincide. The author has expressed an interest in spin-off novels so in a few years we might see a sequel or sidestory series.
Old 2009-10-14, 13:47   Link #172
HitagiIsHot
Ushio... omochikaeri!!!

Thumbs up Hilarious anime!

Animation Quality: 9
The animation is excellent. Art style is appropriate and good quality.

Voice Actors: 10
Yui Horie as Minorin is the reason why this is rated a 10.

Script: 9
The story is hilarious and the love story is very good too!

Soundtrack: 9
Great soundtrack to go along with a great show!

Editing: N/A
No opinion on this one. Never read the manga to compare it to.

I enjoyed it immensely.

Emotional Involvement: 8
It was emotionally moving towards the end of the show.

Overall: 10
Overall a very easy anime to watch and one of my favorites. An excellent comedy/romance anime.
Old 2009-10-17, 11:59   Link #173
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

I usually don't like slice of life or genre similar to that, but I enjoyed Toradora! a lot. It was fun show and I really love the emotions from the each characters and how their relationships were developed. Both Taiga and Ryuji were very likable characters and watching both of them developing feeling for each others were fun.

Out of my current impulsive feeling from just finishing the show I will give it a 10 .
Old 2009-11-07, 20:45   Link #174
BashZeStampeedo

I'm obviously late to the game here, but I'd rate ToraDora a solid 8. It's one of the only romance anime I can rewatch without it feeling like a waste of time, it does the light novels justice, and it's better than the sum of it's parts. The kids behave like kids who have little or no emotional support, and they wander around causing themselves much turmoil. I rarely get that vibe from "highschool" stories.

I especially loved Vanilla Salt, the voice acting, and the kiss scene was just epic. Some other scenes, like the ones after the kiss, seemed contrived and/or tacked on in a rush, but I have yet to see one anime that doesn't have such problems so I'll let it slide.

Ryuuji and Taiga were the whole show for me. Ami was obnoxious, despite growing up a little, because she seemed to be there just to rile up the other characters and not actually help anyone. Kitamura was developed a little too much for a character that became a bit player later on. And Minori felt like she was just a shadow of what she could have been (if given more time for development). But, ultimately, they still succeeded as secondary characters. The rest of the characters were pretty forgettable, though.

As far as romance stories go I found ToraDora to be a moving "growing into love" story. With more focus and polish, especially on the secondary characters, it would have been a 9 or 10. I'm just glad it had the audacity to focus on one romance instead of a entire cities' worth of characters like Kare Kano or Furuba. It succeeds as an anime adaptation, unlike either of the aforementioned series (as far as I'm concerned).
Old 2009-11-16, 11:14   Link #175
WildArms
Come on, become a legend

ToraDora: first anime where i wouldnt mind for a harem ending...
Old 2009-11-21, 06:13   Link #176
Aqua Knight

9/10

I never enjoyed any slice of life/romance since Haruhi and Clannad.
At first the story seemed boring but then it was awesome. Can't really say that plot was a mystery, the end was obvious,but still I loved the series.
The anime is abolutely normal in all ways but it deserves really a high score.
Old 2009-11-23, 19:50   Link #177
bloodwork
Ballin'

best romance in a long time, and one of my top 5 kisses all time... fantastico
Old 2009-11-27, 20:51   Link #178
DJ Trouble
Pajama Party!

I read through volume seven of the novel today, and watched the corresponding episodes of the anime again after that because the conclusion of that arc was one of the main highlights of the series to me. While watching, I couldn't help but notice how much was cut out. I can honestly say I didn't enjoy the episodes as much as when I watched them the first time because I just kept thinking, "Wow, they cut that. They changed that. They switched the order. And that was cut, too." Through both episodes I just kept repeating things like that.

If I had never read the novels I could probably give the series a high overall rating, but after seeing how much was cut, I just can't help but think the anime doesn't do the series justice. Before reading through the novels I would have probably given it a 9.5 or 10, and I think for people that haven't read the novel and never will the series will have that kind of feeling to it. Having been spoiled by the novels, however, I think the series is more on the level or a 7 just because of all the events and character development that get cut. It would have been great if this could have been spread out over two or even three seasons. Though I guess Haruhi would kind of make people not want to go that route. xD Source material is usually always better than adaptions exactly because of reasons like this, but this is still a great anime. I just really wish it could have been longer and more developed.
Old 2009-11-28, 21:33   Link #179
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Trouble View Post
If I had never read the novels I could probably give the series a high overall rating, but after seeing how much was cut, I just can't help but think the anime doesn't do the series justice. Before reading through the novels I would have probably given it a 9.5 or 10, and I think for people that haven't read the novel and never will the series will have that kind of feeling to it. Having been spoiled by the novels, however, I think the series is more on the level or a 7 just because of all the events and character development that get cut. It would have been great if this could have been spread out over two or even three seasons.
In the end, this is one of the tough things if you're trying to rate an anime. The producers knew that the light novel series was coming to an end, and made a strategic decision to time the release of the anime so that it would end around the same time as the novels (and actually that the novel would end just weeks before the anime, thus greatly promoting novel sales -- remember, they're in this to make money, and especially off of books and CDs). They probably felt that momentum would be lost if they spread it to a second season that would arrive long after the novels had finished (and thus the ending was already fairly well known). Obviously not all shows take that direction, but that was sort of the producer's call. The director and story planner then inherited the task of adapting the entire novel series, including the ending, into the two-cour constraint.

So, if you're judging this, you almost have to consider both aspects. There's the decision the producers made and the impact that had on the story. And then there's the director's/writer's ability to work within the constraints they were given. I think the fact that you can say that you'd rate it so highly as a standalone speaks well of the work the anime team did, even though the story itself might have benefited from different production decisions. I think it's sort of one of those "when life hands you lemons, make lemonade" situations.

(What's interesting is that the same director is now working on a project that has the opposite "problem": taking a short story and stretching it out for a two-cour anime. And it's funny how there's varying degrees of acceptance for and complaints about that as well. But in the new project's case, the source material is manga, which tends to be faster-paced by its very nature, rather than novels which tend to be very rich in detail. So I sort of feel for the guy -- he just can't land projects that give him the right time for the source material. )
Old 2009-12-09, 11:48   Link #180
Never Knows Best
Monochrome Like A Panda.

Send a message via AIM to Never Knows Best Send a message via MSN to Never Knows Best Send a message via Yahoo to Never Knows Best
The second I finished the anime I HAD to make this gif.

10/10

Closed Thread