AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online > Past SAO Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: SAO Alternative - Gun Gale Online - Episode 2 Rating
Perfect 10 0 0%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 4 36.36%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 3 27.27%
7 out of 10 : Good 3 27.27%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 9.09%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2018-04-15, 00:00   Link #21
HandofFate

what's the stat on her actual height?
Old 2018-04-15, 00:28   Link #22
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakstealth View Post
So is being a tall female in Japan unnattractive? I think tall women are pretty hot generally speaking. Poor Karen. At least she found Pito, though. She's probably a kid or something in real life.
I think there's plenty of men everywhere who don't want a girlfriend taller than they are.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-15, 00:50   Link #23
Skaddix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
I think there's plenty of men everywhere who don't want a girlfriend taller than they are.
Pretty true certainly anecdotally. And in her case it would be several inches of difference so noticeable not negligible as in close in height.
Skaddix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-15, 01:03   Link #24
Darthtabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandofFate View Post
what's the stat on her actual height?
According to the series summary, she's 183cm/six feet.

I'd also like to note that the tall girl who wishes she was small and cute is not exactly a new character type in anime and manga. It's been around for some time.
Darthtabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-15, 11:25   Link #25
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

I think it must be noted that "cuteness" is a trait in adult women that is a lot more prized in Japan than in western countries, and by a very wide margin. Needless to say it the taller you are the less cute you appear.

On the other hand in the western world being sexy and cool is what really matters for a model . As a matter of facts if you aren't around 1.80m you aren't even going to be accepted as a fashion model, and that's above the average height of men in both NA and EU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtabby View Post
According to the series summary, she's 183cm/six feet.

I'd also like to note that the tall girl who wishes she was small and cute is not exactly a new character type in anime and manga. It's been around for some time.
For instance Satomi from Gunparade March is 186 cm tall. However in her case she believes to be super cute in spite of her height and her problem is that nobody seems to "realize" it.

There's also Sakaki from Azumanga Daioh (only 174 cm). In her case she doesn't really have a desire to be cute herself, but her being tall gets in the way of her wish to do cute stuff, since people expect her to act as cool as she looks.

Also Sumika from Sasameki Koto wishes she was cute and small, but that's just because her love interest likes only cute and small girls.

There's a lot of similar cases, though I can't think of one that matches perfectly.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-15, 12:59   Link #26
Key Board
Carbon

she's not being small and cute to get a boyfriend
women can make choices unrelated to men
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-15, 16:49   Link #27
kari-no-sugata II

Instructor: Why did you come here, dung beetle?
LLENN: To become a cute girl.
Instructor: To survive!
Instructor (points gun to LLENN's head): This is what you need to do that!

The core dilemma of the MC in a few lines

Basically, LLENN wants to be a "cute girl doing cute things" but needs to be the "pink devil" to survive
kari-no-sugata II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-15, 17:20   Link #28
Wandering Soul

Got to appreciate a game that tries to make the tutorial entertaining. Don't know how entertaining it is for the person being yelled at though.
Old 2018-04-15, 17:40   Link #29
Jaden

So you get disconnected when your heart rate spikes? But...but...

Ah, whatever, I'll just pretend I didn't see that
Old 2018-04-15, 17:41   Link #30
rladls2121

This GGO game tutorial reminds me of Counter Strike Delete Scenes tutorial.
Not the same, but similar militaristic genre.

No, I do not like getting yelled at.
I'm going to stress, if those kinds of yelling feels just too real and makes me want to retaliate, I might shoot that tutorial instructor.
Sometimes dropping some smoke grenades to scare them or explosive grenades at them to get them kill for funny mission fail while at it.

In the first place it is not for the characters I watched this SAO series and this alternate story.
I really love the SAO world, moving touch screens to push buttons in thin air, moving inside the gaming world to feel it as a real magical world.
rladls2121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-15, 19:09   Link #31
Keila

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
So you get disconnected when your heart rate spikes? But...but...

Ah, whatever, I'll just pretend I didn't see that
To be fair, your heart rate normally shouldn't be that high unless you're in the middle of some serious exercising. Fundamentally, it is just a person lying on a bed (or otherwise immobilised, even if they are doing mental gymnastics) and jumps like that would be very out of the norm.

Other instances of GGO have also shown us (other extreme end) that players don't get disconnected even if they're starting to undergo heart failure (disconnected upon death) so there is a little bit of a consistency problem.

The heart rate is used to determine accuracy, most likely as long as it is a gradual change (and not a massive spike) it won't cause any disconnections, so any gradual activities that elevate heart rate should be fine.
Old 2018-04-16, 01:06   Link #32
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keila View Post
To be fair, your heart rate normally shouldn't be that high unless you're in the middle of some serious exercising. Fundamentally, it is just a person lying on a bed (or otherwise immobilised, even if they are doing mental gymnastics) and jumps like that would be very out of the norm.
Some speedrunners show in their video their heart rate and I've seen it going beyond 150 bpm.

It is definitely possible to get to that level while playing a videogame if you're getting very anxious, although it's not common.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-17, 07:34   Link #33
Applehell

Um.. somehow this doesn't sound quite right.

Really didn't expect LLENN to turn into a infamous PKer. Threw me for a loop there. It's was pretty solid character introduction episode with only caveat that unlike SAO no defined plot has been setup at all. In fact I have a feeling this will be more character driven overall than anything.
Applehell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-17, 18:24   Link #34
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I feel like they missed an opportunity to play up comedic value of a little pink ball of cuteness being a source of terror to the rugged muscle-bound veteran soldiers of GGO.

I'm quite surprised that I'm enjoying this show as much as I am really. I've not been a big fan of SAO's over-seriousness so this laid back approach has been working better for me so far.

And far from the clumsiness of SAO, the storytelling has here has been pretty competent in terms of pacing, focus and characterisation.

LLENN's friend is quite the interesting one. I wonder if she was an SAO victim herself given how much focus she gave the aspect of PKing in her introduction. Don't know if her all black outfit is supposed to be a shout out to Kirito or not. Their personalities couldn't be more different though.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-22, 13:19   Link #35
Dark Wing

Hey when the players where describing the "Pink Devil" did anyone else get TheLegend27 vibes?