AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2007-11-24, 02:41   Link #21
Revolutionist
Puppet Master

Setsuna is Kurd though, not SE Asian
Revolutionist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-24, 02:42   Link #22
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubczyk View Post
Setsuna looks around 150 to 160 cm. He could be less than 5 feet, I'm hard for westerner to judge height in animes since Southeast asians are generally shorter than European whites.
It is extremely likely that Setsuna's background may involve a malnourished childhood, being a child soldier and all. So it would not be surprising if he is shorter than average.
Old 2007-11-24, 04:03   Link #23
Jays

Even though Setsuna is of Kurdish descent, it's clear that he is the "Japanese" influence of the group. So it's obvious that he's built to be tailored in a fashion that Japanese teens will enjoy.

However if you look at the ending sequence of Gundam 00, you can see all of the four put together, so you could judge their height.

Lockon looks like he's around 6 feet. With Allelujah being no more than an inch smaller. Tieria looks like he's around 5'9, while Setsuna looks like he's 5'7.

I'm just happy that there is an older pilot in the group. Lockon is such a breath of fresh air. I got annoyed in Gundam SEED, when 18 year old kids where promoted to the ranks of Admirals and Fleet Commanders. Look at Amuro, the highest rank he got a Lt Commander, and that was in Chars Counterattack, when he as 30. It's a joke and frustration to have kids running the show, and it almost makes me happy how Lockon is the field commander.
Jays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-24, 04:25   Link #24
Slayerx

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubczyk View Post
Like those of Zipang or Silent Service where characters age and build differences are obvious, along with people having proper noses instead of triangles?
ya, I guess those would be others to consider, not sure though... though those might be too realisitc for gundam (zipang atleast, never saw silent service... though i didn't liek Zipang, bored me to tears)... grant it, i don't much like their character deisgn work that much either. Too realistic. Really, in any other country, Zipang would have been made into a live action series instead of an animated one... i like strong obvious differences, but i like it being pushed furthar to the point where it looks like the series should be animated... when it's relativly realistic like Zipang, then you might as well make a live action series

thinking about it, i think the old UC series seems to have more of what i'm talking about... a lot of the characters there had much more variation in body shapes, in head and body... where things are not pushed nearly as far with gundam 00 characters

Quote:
You do realised that Soma is 18 years old, right?
y'know i did not realize that until you mentioned it...
grant it, i know a few girls that have a similar petite body so it's that out of the ordinary...

grant it though... i can't help but feel it takes away a bit from Sergei's thoughts of her being too young. i mean, 18 is about how old you can be to enlist... sure you won't exactly be seeing the front lines any time soon, but 18 for a soldier doesn't seem to strange. I was under the impression that she was more around like the age of 13, more or less... now THAT sounds like being too young for battle

Last edited by Slayerx; 2007-11-24 at 09:24.
Slayerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-24, 10:49   Link #25
Wen
Chocolate Filled

I was attractive to G00 in the first place is because of Kouga Yun character design. So...of course I think the design is great I've always like her style; I think it's unique. However, compare to sensei's manga art, G00 adaptation is just OK.

I was sooo glad when they decide to drop the old Seed/Destiny art that I've always hated.
Wen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-24, 19:50   Link #26
solomon

Overall, fair but nothing special. Yun Koga's lines are very attractive, but I think Chiba modestley retained the appeal of her work in translation.

It suffers from the same problem in (well many many cartoons) in that too many characters look too similar in shape and that facial features are too generic. It's like the character design reads too much as one graphic language. I mean that's not really all that bad, provided that the shapes and lines are appealing. Mikimoto did it with Macross and his stuff looks great. Plus it's really the main characters, who are young, who are the most generic. once again this is a very common problem. (Favorite design is tied between Ali Al Serges and Sergei so far)
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-24, 20:43   Link #27
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wen View Post
I was sooo glad when they decide to drop the old Seed/Destiny art that I've always hated.
Huh?

Do you know that each Gundam franchise goes for a new character design each time? SEED and Destiny are in the same franchise, so they stay the same.
Old 2007-11-24, 23:32   Link #28
Alice16uy
Alice16uy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Huh?

Do you know that each Gundam franchise goes for a new character design each time? SEED and Destiny are in the same franchise, so they stay the same.
I do realize that I just haven't got around to check out the older series. Seed/Destiny are most frequently talked about so I only know them (Animepaper/Minitokyo).
Alice16uy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-25, 06:25   Link #29
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerx View Post
grant it though... i can't help but feel it takes away a bit from Sergei's thoughts of her being too young. i mean, 18 is about how old you can be to enlist... sure you won't exactly be seeing the front lines any time soon, but 18 for a soldier doesn't seem to strange. I was under the impression that she was more around like the age of 13, more or less... now THAT sounds like being too young for battle
well, maybe the reason that he was surprised that Soma was so young was not for being a soldier, but a Super Solider
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-25, 07:59   Link #30
mikoo
Banned

Shunya Yamashita does Gundam 00

his official site
mikoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-25, 08:51   Link #31
CHAOS|ZERO

The legendary figure designer eh...
*prays for a cast off sumeragi*
CHAOS|ZERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-04, 04:10   Link #32
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

I'm missing CLAMP's long legs, especially for the ladies, they somehow look too top heavy without the legs.

The only girl I have no complains is Wang Liumei, she's one of the best looking chinese girl in anime I've seen so far. I'm comparing her to Ginrei of Giant Robo.

The metrosexual looks of the guys here are a little too strong, Allelujah needs a more manlier voice sometimes, Tieria is too much.

The colouring is a little weird, like, Felt and Sumeragi's hair has really weird contrast.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-04, 04:50   Link #33
SonicX_Zero
Kill Kira

I'd love to see Takashi Takeuchi take a shot in doing gundam character designs. =o
SonicX_Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-04, 20:12   Link #34
Honey_and_Cleaver

I got no problem with the designs, its not often i get to seen cool looking seinens and muscular looking characters like Allelujah. All characters are good, i dun know whats wrong with lolis and big breast, but i hell dont want to see a plain looking anime. My problem goes with the storyline and the annoyingness of Saji.
Honey_and_Cleaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-04, 21:35   Link #35
Papaya
Sup

Send a message via AIM to Papaya Send a message via MSN to Papaya
I despise them.
Almost all the characters look like they're teenagers.

The guys are too womanly. The women are too womanly. There's only one man's man in the series, and that's Sergei.

Seriously, they could use some moderation here and there. Not every woman needs double D's. And yes, I am aware Soma does not have them, but one exception means nothing, the same way one big-breasted character means nothing if everyone other character is completely flat chested.
Papaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-04, 22:52   Link #36
Honey_and_Cleaver

its just a matter of getting used to them, 90% of the protagonist characters in animes are boys and all looking like Saji, there is quite a number of difference in this anime. We still have Setsuna which is a kid, but i think thats japanese fan service. I dun see much male characters in their 20s compare to this anime. We got old man, ya, and young boys, but not much guys in 20s, as if all of them died in wars. Thats why its good to see them in this anime.

I like when the women are more womenly, not many people exploit the fact that how women can a women be.
Honey_and_Cleaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-05, 02:16   Link #37
winter45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papaya View Post
I despise them.
Almost all the characters look like they're teenagers.

The guys are too womanly. The women are too womanly. There's only one man's man in the series, and that's Sergei.

Seriously, they could use some moderation here and there. Not every woman needs double D's. And yes, I am aware Soma does not have them, but one exception means nothing, the same way one big-breasted character means nothing if everyone other character is completely flat chested.

I know how you feel but at least the main cast acts like men to a degree. Its better than watching the main character crying every 2nd episode and screaming killing is wrong with a feminine touch.

Id rather 00 men than some other more recent gundam shows that ive mistaken the boys countless of times as girls due to thier mentality and views.

Its been a while, so to be fair its nice to see the guys acting like males, nice to have some fresh air for once.
winter45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-11, 04:02   Link #38
solomon

One nice thing i can say about simple designs like these is that they are malliable. In the sense that animators can cut loose with them easily, but I haven't seen anything cool yet (or dont expect to unless something really unexpected happens.)
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-11, 14:00   Link #39
kaito-kid
As I make you stop, think

My take on Gundam OO:

*fast photoshopped, I'm sorry Mr.Yamashita..Couldn't resist! *

But seriously, I think 00's character designs could have been a lot better...It misses originality...a LOT!
Old 2007-12-11, 14:30   Link #40
Slayerx

Quote:
Originally Posted by solomon View Post
One nice thing i can say about simple designs like these is that they are malliable. In the sense that animators can cut loose with them easily, but I haven't seen anything cool yet (or dont expect to unless something really unexpected happens.)
meh... designs being more malleable so that the animators can work with them more easily is much better applied to non-anime animation... i mean, the downside of anime is that they cut many corners on the animation and as such there isn't much advantaged gained from from having a simple design; not to mention that most of the real action in the series is done by the mobile suits and not the characters themselves... really if they are gonna cut back on the animation then they should push the design farther to help make up for it, in addition to what else they do... really, other anime series have gone with more complexed designs and maintain the same quality of character animation as 00
Slayerx is offline   Reply With Quote